NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that they're raising reward money makes me nervous - afraid that this means they're grasping at straws to find a suspect because they have no clue. I really hope I'm wrong. None of the articles I've read (I'm a local) have mentioned anything about possible motives for the killer - no ex-boyfriends, drug issues, anything like that. Didn't they decide that Eve Carson's killing was random? This strikes me as random as well.

As others have said, Carson's was indeed random and the two perps are sitting in jail.

I would not read anything bad into the new reward money. This money was put up by the board of trustees at UNC, I'm sure they would have done it sooner if they could but it takes some effort to coordinate approval by a board.

A reporter on JVM tonight said police are looking at a suspect or group of suspects. The articles talking about the sealed records report that several search warrants were sealed.

The fact that she was killed in her own apt and that they're telling the students not to worry says to me they have one or a couple of very good ideas about who might have done this. They apparently don't have the autopsy back yet so perhaps they're waiting for that. Or maybe they're just trying to build an air tight case. Given the attention this will get in the community, I'm sure they wouldn't want to risk blowing it.

For some reason, I feel confident this will be wrapped up in the near future. And believe me, I don't often get that feeling with the cases on here!

Right, I knew Eve's killers had been caught and sentenced - I wasn't suggesting that the cases might have been done by the same perps, just that the idea of two such brutal random crimes in a fairly small town is a little unnerving. I hope the police truly do have some suspects and there will be an arrest soon. Hopefully everyone else's confidence and hope will rub off on me a little. :)

Great coverage on Jane Velez Mitchell tonight!!!! Thanks for giving this story some coverage.

I heard about Faith's murder on JVM. It seems a week doesn't go by without hearing about another young woman or child being murdered or going missing.

My heart goes out to Faith's family and friends. I feel so sad that Faith senselessly lost her life. Whoever did this to her must pay and I hope they pay with their own life. I hate whoever did this, not what he did but him, and feel no mercy whatsoever towards who did this to a brilliant young woman. God tells us to forgive but to me it feels like all out war now - good versus evil. I heard the actor, Richard Gere, say he doesn't believe in evil and it dawned on me how people can delude themselves into believing the stupidest concepts. I wanted to shake him and say tell that to a mother whose daughter has just been murdered - a productive person who desired to give to the world - yet the one who did this is still walking around. Call it what you want, darkness or whatever, but I call it evil. If you don't acknowledge it, you deny how it tricks people and can destroy them. We must make our children aware of and afraid of evil so they can have a fighting chance through the knowledge that it does exist.

I don't understand what's happening to cause as many men who do kill women and harm children in the civilized world to do so. Nobody wins.

As others have posted, I pray LE has leads regarding who is responsible for murdering Faith. There is no justice in cases like this imo.

Woe, I call it evil, too. It could be propelled by jealousy, greed, revenge (I don't see that in Faith's case), just plain immature (no matter the age) stupidity, or any sort of wrong reasoning. It could be just plain meanness.

Looks like in this case, the perp(s) did take a lesson from Eve's killers in that he(they) wanted to leave no witness. Let's hope, though, that he/they at least left fingerprints or DNA or both. I think we all here on WS have seen this kind of evil before, but I still just cannot comprehend it. And yes, Woe, it seems there is no end of it.
icon8.gif

But still I am a bit encouraged by the little bits we have heard so far -- it does sound like the LEO's have someone in mind.

Oh, and how her poor family must hurt. There are so many ripples in the water when a crime such as this is perpetrated. Grrrrrrr.

Hiya, gracielee!!

So good to see your little name here! Hope you, your DH, and all the rest of your family are all doing just fine.

Have you been keeping up with this case, or just getting started? No matter, we don't really know much about anything. I hope we'll hear from LE about a possible perp soon!

icon12.gif
icon7.gif

I haven't seen anything about this in the news here in Raleigh in months - sort of sad that I have to do a Websleuths search just to see what's happening here in my local area. It seems weird that this went so quiet almost right away.

I just came to this site today for the very same reasons you just posted, Hucklepie -:seeya:- haven't heard nor seen a word on this case. Mmmm, a pity. Sometimes there's that calm before the storm -- total silence from LE and the press, and then BOOM the case has taken wings and there's a suspect, a motive and a theory as to how it went down & why -- but not this one. So far, at least.

I hope something is cookin' for her family's sake -- I feel sure her father is going nuts, and for her friends -- they must be angry and maybe a bit scared, too.

All we can do is poke around if we have any theories (I have none), and continue to think positively about this case. Grrrrr.
icon8.gif

Faith Hedgepeth case to get new SBI help
Updated: 10/04/13 1:32am

After a yearlong investigation with no suspects named, Chapel Hill police have reached out to the State Bureau of Investigation for more help investigating last year’s homicide of Faith Hedgepeth.

Hedgepeth was a UNC junior when she was found dead in her off-campus apartment on Sept. 7, 2012.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article...t-additional-assistance-in-hedgepeth-homicide

Just saw on WTVD/ABC news that warrants have been unsealed in the case of Faith Hedgepeth's murder. They are heavily redacted, per this article. I didn't know that the media had sued to get the warrants unsealed. I don't understand why they did that since it could compromise the investigation.

Bless her heart...I hope they get the killer, and soon.

http://www.wral.com/redacted-search-warrants-released-in-unc-student-s-homicide/13783344/

Hi, folks!! :seeya:

Saw this today, not much info for us, but it shows that the case is still active. She was killed in 2012 -- I looked at the date, and if there were someone accused, a trial would prolly be scheduled for sometime in 2014 -- there is usually about a 2-year lag in arrest & prosecution -- but we seem to be far from that at this time. Let's hope that LE has something cooking.

Prayers for her family and those who loved her. Prayers for LE and the Prosecutors. We all seek justice for Faith.

Here's the article from WRAL News:

http://www.wral.com/redacted-search-warrants-released-in-unc-student-s-homicide/13783344/

FaithHedgepeth1.jpg

Faith's case is a lot newer than most of the others in this sub-forum, but it seems a thread was never created for her nor could I find a better place to start one.
(if any mods feel this should be moved or merged, please do so, thank you)

Faith was a 19 year old college student at UNC Chapel Hill. She was last seen alive at or around 3 a.m. Friday, September 7, 2012.

Her roommate discovered her body in their apartment later that day. The case has been ruled a homicide.

Links:

Faith Hedgepeth, UNC student, found dead in her apartment
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/faith-hedgepeth-unc-student-found-dead-in-her-apartment/

$25K (now at least $39,000) reward offered in UNC student’s killing
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/09/13/25k-reward-offered-unc-students-killing

Discovery of DNA prompts profile of UNC student's killer
http://www.wral.com/fbi-profiles-killer-of-unc-student/11953700/

Police Continue to Seek Help in UNC Student, Faith Hedgepeth’s Death
http://annyjacoby.com/2013/03/11/police-continue-to-seek-help-in-unc-student-faith-hedgepeths-death/

A statement issued by the Chapel Hill Police Department said the investigation had found that Hedgepeth and her roommate had been at a local nightclub, The Thrill, in the early hours of Sept. 7. They also said that Hedgepeth was last known to be alive at about 3 a.m. at the apartment she shared with her roommate and that DNA evidence collected at the apartment was left by a male suspect.

Investigators have consulted other agencies, including the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit, leading them to believe that:

The homicide suspect was familiar with the victim and may have lived near the victim in the past.
The suspect was unaccounted for during the early hours of Sept. 7, 2012.
The suspect may have made comments regarding the victim to close associates in the past.
There may have been some change in the suspect’s behavior after the murder (to include an unusual interest in the case) or a change in his performance at work or school.

Faith has also been one of Nancy Grace's "Featured Cold Cases":
http://www.nancygrace.com/rights-coldcase.html (scroll down to bottom of page)

Anyone with information related to the murder of Faith Hedgepeth should contact the Chapel Hill Police Department.
Nancy Grace has also listed a contact # on her website: 919-942-7515

The case had been relatively cold for awhile, but this week 911 calls and redacted search warrants were made public.

Faith Hedgepeth warrants, 911 call released
http://abc11.com/news/faith-hedgepeth-warrants-911-call-released/152038/

DURHAM (WTVD) --
New 911 calls and search warrants were released Wednesday in the murder of a UNC student.

They are shedding new light on what may have happened the day Faith Hedgepeth was murdered in September 2012.

After a night out with friends, it would be Hedgepeth's roommate who would make a gruesome discovery at her Chapel Hill apartment complex.

Caller: "She's unconscious. I just walked in. There's blood everywhere."

The shocking 911 call is one of a few new details emerging from recently unsealed court documents related to the case.

Through her tears, Hedgepeth's roommate told the operator she believes unknown items were left in her bedroom where she found Hedgepeth's lifeless body.

She insists there was an intruder.

Caller: "I can't believe this. Someone had to have been in there."

LE also executed search warrants related to this case, and later announced they had found an unidentified male's DNA left at the crime scene.

Redacted search warrants reveal police searched at least three vehicles: one belonging to Hedgepeth. The other was her roommate's former boyfriend, and another car belonging to a young man prosecutors say was friends with both women.

Nearly two years later, and with at least two agencies investigating, there've been no arrests--not even a person of interest. There's only an FBI profile and unidentified DNA left by the killer.

I never knew about this until now, but someone named Tom "Gaspo" Gasparoli (private investigator?) has a blog that follows this case. He has been in contact with POIs, LE, tribal members, etc. Some of the information contained in his blog does not appear in the news articles I've read, but he also makes a point to not release a lot of details he says he knows because of the open investigation.

In general, his reports provide a lot more information on the case that I never heard before, however there are at times unhelpful things.

http://www.gaspowrites.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members