NC - Irina 'Ira' Yarmolenko, 20, murdered, Mount Holly, 5 May 2008 *previously GUILTY*Charges Dropped*

Just watched this case on the Elizabeth Vargas 20/20 episode. Never heard of it before. I've never been grabbed by a case like this! I absolutely think Mr. Carver is not guilty and this was a suicide. I thought this within the first 10 mins of the program. My DH was sitting next to me when they talked about the tDNA, and said right away that the cops had probably transferred the DNA after the initial interview with Mr. Carver. This was BEFORE they talked about the pix and video that showed the cops ALL OVER Ira's car with no gloves. I firmly believe she tried to kill herself by drowning and it didn't work, so she strangled herself instead. I deeply feel for Ira's family, but I also feel for the family of the man (and him!) if he's innocent.

So glad to hear Chris Mumma is on this and he may get a new trial!

I also think it's very significant that Ira's camera was still in the car (debunks the prosecution motive that she photographed something the suspect(s) were angry about), there was no sexual assault, and there was no robbery.

Published on Jul 16, 2018
"In the years since, evidence has been revealed which shows inaccurate testimony was given at trial, the DNA evidence is not up to the current standard necessary for litigation and Carver's public defender mounted no defense. The North Carolina Center on Actual Innocence has taken up Carver's case, and currently, a new trial or the outright dismissal of charges is being fought for in court. This raises many questions: Did Mark Carver murder Ira Yarmolenko, was someone else responsible for this heinous crime or is it possible that this may have been the result of suicide? Join host Steven Pacheco as he explores this tragic, complicated and controversial case."

Judge rejects challenge to Mark Carver’s new trial in UNCC student’s murder
April 20, 2021

SBM
A court of appeals judge has dismissed the state’s challenge to Mark Carver’s new trial in the murder of a University of North Carolina Charlotte student.

According to documents, the judge dismissed the state’s appeal challenging the order that granted Carver a new trial based on ineffective counsel. The documents showed the remaining portion of the appeal, a new trial based on newly discovered evidence, was dismissed as “moot.”

SNIP

The district attorney had said Carver is the prosecution’s only living suspect. Channel 9 asked the district attorney if he plans to re-try the case and he told us he will not address the issue anytime soon.

Posted August 12, 2022

"A murder charge against a man who was accused in 2008 of killing a University of North Carolina at Charlotte student was dropped, according to the Gaston County District Attorney.

Mark Carver was previously serving a life sentence after a jury decided in 2011 that he killed Irina Yarmolenko. The Chapel Hill High School graduate was found strangled next to her car on the banks of the Catawba River. Yarmolenko was 20."

"Superior Court Judge Christopher Bragg ruled in 2019 that questions about DNA evidence and ineffective legal representation during Carver's 2011 trial warranted a new trial.

Instead of a new trial, Gaston County District Attorney Travis Page announced Friday that the county dropped the murder charge against Carver.

According to the dismissal posted on Twitter by WSOC Reporter Ken Lemon, Page said there is "no longer sufficient DNA evidence to support the charge."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back