GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing about DV is its easy recognize when you see it, and it hard to fake which is why I would like to see what MM has to say in that sheriff interview and then I might get a better sense of whether or not she is telling the truth. But I have to say that seeing that picture of Jason in his office touched my heart. That smile, those eyes, all of the people that support him; this tragedy is so difficult to understand. I am so sorry for your loss.

Please know something... gratitude changes everything. Count your blessings everyday and before long, you might have more than you can count. IMO

It does actually. Gratitude does change everything.
I once was a devout practitioner of a Japanese sukyo .

The entire practice was gratitude and apology.
It was extremely difficult. !
I think I had a healthier outlook on life at that time.
(apologies for going off topic)

One thing about DV is its easy recognize when you see it, and it hard to fake which is why I would like to see what MM has to say in that sheriff interview and then I might get a better sense of whether or not she is telling the truth. But I have to say that seeing that picture of Jason in his office touched my heart. That smile, those eyes, all of the people that support him; this tragedy is so difficult to understand. I am so sorry for your loss.

Please know something... gratitude changes everything. Count your blessings everyday and before long, you might have more than you can count. IMO

I found this was a similar issue in another murder case I followed where the wife/ killer argued DV as her defense. An expert observed that a battered wife will still express love and commitment to her husband, regardless of the abuse... this is one of the complicating factors that make women stay/ want to go back. As in the other case I followed, Molly didn't bother to pretend that she loved her husband - she thought it was enough to say he was abusive. She doesn't understand the complexity and turmoil of loving an abusive man while hating his behaviour.

You know, the more I think about the jury asking about those tape now, right at the beginning, is actually a good thing. The defence implanted that thought in their heads, it was bound to be discussed. It is only natural for them to ask to see them, if they could. For the very least, to actually hear MM say something. It is also good IMO that this was asked for on the very first day and not too long before they went home. Time to think about the matter. The fact that the defence could have introduced them themselves will not go over their heads. As Stmarysmead quite correctly points out, what would this actually change.

When the jury requested to view the recordings there were a few posts on here stating the request could be a bad sign and there were thoughts that the jury might have doubt. I'm probably the minority here, but I don't think it's a bad sign. IMHO the jury doesn't see how this was self defense and they are going through everything the defense is claiming to be the smoking gun. They are doing their job and looking at what was presented to them before they convict TM and MM of 2nd degree murder.

Well, if they attacked him as he slept, I suspect it was low.
Paramedics reported insufficient lighting.
We do not know whether main light was damaged in the attack, but hey, people who are awake and alert and familiar with a house layout are pretty competent attackers and able to see far more than those who have been awakened from their sleep by a crushing blow to the head.

There is no evidence bat was ever in the basement.
There is no evidenceTM told a single word of the truth in his 'testimony'

Actualy there is no evidence that Molly did not carry out the entire attack and wait a considerable time before alerting her 'rescuers'
There is no evidence that SM was not an instigator or a participant either.

Theres streamlining and theres minimalism.

Thank you for refreshing my memory. Makes sense that it was dark in the room when Jason was brutally blitz attacked. I recall it recently discussed that the bedroom was small & the furniture in it took up alot of room. I do believe this attack was premeditated. The sheer disregard for Jason's children too is appalling. How horrible that they were removed from the home by their dad's murderers & taken to mm's brothers home. What a nightmare. Then Sharon's handiwork of coaching J & S on what to say to their interviewers. I thank God Tl & DL prevailed & were given custody of Jason's children. Thankfully they are in Ireland surrounded by love.

I found this was a similar issue in another murder case I followed where the wife/ killer argued DV as her defense. An expert observed that a battered wife will still express love and commitment to her husband, regardless of the abuse... this is one of the complicating factors that make women stay/ want to go back. As in the other case I followed, Molly didn't bother to pretend that she loved her husband - she thought it was enough to say he was abusive. She doesn't understand the complexity and turmoil of loving an abusive man while hating his behaviour.

Good post....DV is complicated. Most victims of DV fall in love with their abuser prior to the abuse. IMO victims have a hard time seeing their abuser and the abuse as one and victims continue to love their abuser, but hate the abuse.

If I was a fellow juror, I would also be asking myself & other jurors why the defence harped on about this not being introduced rather then introducing it themselves if they believed it so relevant.
That is my concern. Other than seeing a smoking gun upon recoil in a shooters hand, their recorded statements immediately thereafter are probably 2nd most important. The interviewer can ask questions out of sequence, catch inconsistencies, and especially in this case they had two separate stories to compare with little to no time to think about their answers. If detectives completed the 2 recorded interviews, compared the data, and didnt bring one iota of the interviews when doing their closings can be revealing. It was up to the state to show what important facts they acquired in thr 2 interviews rather than the defenses obligation to show in closings what the state didnt find.

I tried to consider it that MM was telling her parents some tales and drew the unwitting TM into her plot. But then I recall that TM brought the bat with him from his own home, kept the weapon in the room where he was sleeping (ut could have been left in their car overnight), and took it with him to invesigate noises - and I kept circling back to MM and TM planned this together and I even bet SM knew all about it, too. I do not believe there was any argument between MM and JC but rather JC was a asleep and she bashed him while he was in the bed. Of course JC got up and tried to control the wife who assaulted him with a stepping stone, so she screamed which was the preplanned signal for TM to rush in with his bat. TM then claims JC was choking MM. I posted before that there is enough for me to find them both guilty of 1st degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder because of this orchestration and the duration and one-sidedness of the attack, but I am satisfied with their legal judgment to charge it as 2nd degree.
I like your thoughts

I was abused for over 10 years during my childhood, and also a DV victim for 11 years by my ex-husband. Thankfully I have been a survivor for decades and the nightmares I lived for years no longer haunt me since I have been married to my wonderful soulmate for 33 years now. Nothing erases emotional scars like an abundance of overwhelming genuine love.imo

Clipped & BBM - Nothing erases emotional scars like an abundance of overwhelming genuine love.

Great post - It's amazing how much a person can overcome and heal. I pray love helps to heal and mend the hearts of JC's kids, mom, family & friends! :loveyou:

That is my concern. Other than seeing a smoking gun upon recoil in a shooters hand, their recorded statements immediately thereafter are probably 2nd most important. The interviewer can ask questions out of sequence, catch inconsistencies, and especially in this case they had two separate stories to compare with little to no time to think about their answers. If detectives completed the 2 recorded interviews, compared the data, and didnt bring one iota of the interviews when doing their closings can be revealing. It was up to the state to show what important facts they acquired in thr 2 interviews rather than the defenses obligation to show in closings what the state didnt find.

They also had a written statement from MM to compare with TM & MM's recorded interviews. I wouldn't be shocked if all 3 were different. :blushing:

If the jury comes back with a guilty verdict will the defendant/s be held or released until a sentencing hearing?

If the jury comes back with a guilty verdict will the defendant/s be held or released until a sentencing hearing?

Sentencing will likely take place the same day as the verdict. That is the general practice in NC state courts.

Sentencing will likely take place the same day as the verdict. That is the general practice in NC state courts.
A couple of pages back I think someone said there would likely be a separate sentencing hearing set at a later to give the guilty parties time to get their affairs in order. Another posted they might even be allowed to stay out on bail during any appeal. Thanks for your insight into NC practices.

I got some real peace a while ago: Two people with no marks on their bodies cannot simply two-on-one beat a man to death with what are deemed deadly weapons, and then cry self-defense and defense of one another against a supposed aggressor. They had NO marks on them! If I think of them as strangers in an alley, it's very clear, they just simply beat him to death.

It's as simple as that, common sense, and I think people in NC have a lot of that.

When the jury requested to view the recordings there were a few posts on here stating the request could be a bad sign and there were thoughts that the jury might have doubt. I'm probably the minority here, but I don't think it's a bad sign. IMHO the jury doesn't see how this was self defense and they are going through everything the defense is claiming to be the smoking gun. They are doing their job and looking at what was presented to them before they convict TM and MM of 2nd degree murder.

I get the feeling that their minds could have been made up already about Murder 2 for both of them, but as the Defence gave them that smidgen of a doubt, they just wanted to check that out first.

Like many others, I think that the Prosecution did an excellent job and anyone who cannot convict them both of Murder 2, must not have been listening and had their eyes closed.

I dont know where you are getting the bit about them having little or no time to prepare their statements.
They had a lot of time..

I honestly do not understand the dV conversation.
Molly said nothing at all except that she understood her decision not to testify .

where is the DV evidence, apart from Jason's murdered body?
The dV was a facebook myth like so many others, but with all Molly said, I never actually saw her utter those words.

molly is a fantasist, if nothing else.
she alluded to many flavored horrors that could have compelled or justified crushing her husband's skull.
She never said DV.
Why is everybody latching on to dV themes when we have already discussed the topic to death, having fallen prey to her delusional life 18 months ago?
We knew from the very outset that she had never filed a DV complaint.
we knew that because LE told us.

But we still rehashed Dv as if it was a factor.

The trial has produced no evidence of Dv.

The Np's statement is as likely to have been about poisoning than Jc suddenly becoming an angry person.

Its quite possible she substituted his prescribed meds for Trazadone.. The prosecutor suggested a poisoning was likely.

Did the NP even refer him to a doctor or review his meds if he actually reported having a sudden personality change?
No, she did not.
Was it incompetence on her part?

DV is not an aspect of this case.
Battering is.
Jason was battered to death.

I would much prefer to discuss why the crime wasn't charged as Murder 1.

I would also like the Grand Jury proceedings to have become unsealed for the jurors.

This crime was very well planned.

It is quite possible to keep a dead body warm for several hours by using artificial heating. is that why the vacuum cleaner had been moved? To make way for a different appliance to be plugged in to keep his body relatively warm for a time, until they were ready to call the eMT people.?

Yes, the judge stated the children had been coached, as Petfriend said.
Yes, the defence had access to the autopsy of MC and they knew how she died.

Not a single soul witnessed DV with Molly as victim.
nobody at all.

I still have not the faintest idea why they sliced the trial into a perfunctory hearing, similar in scope and duration to a financial case, involving taxes or some such thing.

where is the truth?

Let us cease supporting their fantasy?

“The enemy, when you cave a man’s skull in, is justice.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/us-jury-sent-out-in-trial-of-molly-martens-and-father-for-murder-1.3180569

Photos I witnessed in the master bedroom only showed a single pillows on the bed, maybe two. My memory is my perception. One bed side table was used. Photos show a lamp, red iPhone, photos of J and S. the other was empty. Not a lamp, photo or phone.

I wonder how TM's would react if his daughter had been renegated to the guest bedroom from the master suite by someone who 'didn't measure up to his expectations' for his daughter?

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20170808/jury-begins-deliberation-in-corbett-case

[QUOTE[FONT=&quot]But Freedman reminded the jury of a report from a nurse practitioner two weeks before the incident that said Jason Corbett reported dizziness and fainting, wasn’t taking his thyroid medication, and felt stressed and angry for no reason[/FONT]][/QUOTE]

I wonder if they tested Jason for on-going poisoning (either by Trazadone or something else) ...if God forbid there is a retrial, I think the prosecution have uncovered alot of information over the course of the trial that could require further investigation IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaPrirl