NC NC - Jesse McBane, 19, & Patricia Mann, 20, Durham, 12 Feb 1971

Since the podcast was released , tips have been flowing in , and the author of the podcast has hinted there may be a ninth episode. One thing they have gotten info on is the abduction of the folks from nearby Duke Forest the year following the Mann/McBane murders. These people were tied up , put in a trunk , and driven into Orange County as well, but somehow escaped . I believe one of them was recently interviewed after the podcast was released . I believe this case can be solved if people will just speak up and tell what they know.

Well, that's interesting. If the same attacker, they would have a description of him, right? The killer seems like someone who had either done this before or would do so again. I'm reviewing old news stories from the time right now. It's the only way I can assemble a timeline and gather more info on this case.

Doghairrules, the information about conflicting alibis from the doctor sounds very relevant. If there were conflicting stories about where he was that night, LE should have drilled down on that information. They should have interviewed everyone he worked with or who had any contact with him that night, then gone back and interviewed them all again. Find any still around today and interview them again today. People who kept a secret for someone many years ago may not be willing to do so decades later. But you have to go them instead of waiting for them to call you up.

From what I'm reading in local newspapers, the crime scene got pretty trampled. Police didn't secure it and everyone came in and trampled around.

Other interesting info (may or may not be accurate):

Jesse's car keys were still in his pocket

Both victims' clothing, hair, etc. were not dirty or messed up very much, just mud on their shoes

Jesse's car had been wiped down inside and out to remove fingerprints

I still can't get a fix on the murder scene. It's described so many different ways, not sure which one is accurate.

Since the podcast was released , tips have been flowing in , and the author of the podcast has hinted there may be a ninth episode. One thing they have gotten info on is the abduction of the folks from nearby Duke Forest the year following the Mann/McBane murders. These people were tied up , put in a trunk , and driven into Orange County as well, but somehow escaped . I believe one of them was recently interviewed after the podcast was released . I believe this case can be solved if people will just speak up and tell what they know.

Well, that's interesting. If the same attacker, they would have a description of him, right? The killer seems like someone who had either done this before or would do so again. I'm reviewing old news stories from the time right now. It's the only way I can assemble a timeline and gather more info on this case.

Doghairrules, the information about conflicting alibis from the doctor sounds very relevant. If there were conflicting stories about where he was that night, LE should have drilled down on that information. They should have interviewed everyone he worked with or who had any contact with him that night, then gone back and interviewed them all again. Find any still around today and interview them again today. People who kept a secret for someone many years ago may not be willing to do so decades later. But you have to go them instead of waiting for them to call you up.

From what I'm reading in local newspapers, the crime scene got pretty trampled. Police didn't secure it and everyone came in and trampled around.

Other interesting info (may or may not be accurate):

Jesse's car keys were still in his pocket

Both victims' clothing, hair, etc. were not dirty or messed up very much, just mud on their shoes

Jesse's car had been wiped down inside and out to remove fingerprints

I still can't get a fix on the murder scene. It's described so many different ways, not sure which one is accurate.

▪ A woman, who worked as a medical professional in the ‘70s, recently came forward for the first time with potential case-building evidence. Horne said, the woman’s story about overhearing a workplace conversation in the late 1970s has led him and Hunter to reconsider another possible murder suspect who long ago was dismissed as a possible murderer.

Read more here: Podcast brings new leads in Durham’s infamous ‘Valentine’s Day Murders’ cold case

This is interesting about another possible suspect ; I wonder if they’re referring to the first suspect mentioned in the podcast ?
Thinking he was hired by Dr. Britt to work in the lab.

▪ A woman, who worked as a medical professional in the ‘70s, recently came forward for the first time with potential case-building evidence. Horne said, the woman’s story about overhearing a workplace conversation in the late 1970s has led him and Hunter to reconsider another possible murder suspect who long ago was dismissed as a possible murderer.

Read more here: Podcast brings new leads in Durham’s infamous ‘Valentine’s Day Murders’ cold case

This is interesting about another possible suspect ; I wonder if they’re referring to the first suspect mentioned in the podcast ?
Thinking he was hired by Dr. Britt to work in the lab.

Another good article. It sounds like they're getting a lot of good tips. The 1972 abduction sounds very interesting, though the article hints that LE may have thought it was a hoax at the time.

Reading through news articles from 1971, it's mentioned that the profiler, Dr. James Brussel, said the killer most likely worked alone. He said the killer was very meticulous and probably wouldn't have trusted someone else to assist or keep quiet about the crimes. Sounds logical considering the killer's other personality traits.

28 Oct 1971, Page 13 - The Daily Times-News at Newspapers.com

Having the podcast get wider coverage of this tragic story could help a lot. A lot of people, students or employees, at the hospital and university probably didn't remain in the area. Students graduate and return home or move on in their careers. This brings more witnesses back into the loop.

Hope they bring the killer to justice or at least get some answers for family and friends. This was a tragic loss of two lovely young people who had so much to give to the world.

Last edited:
I’m the original poster of this thread because I didn’t find the case on Websleuths. This case just blows my mind that it has remained unsolved all this time. For anyone who has not yet checked out The Long Dance podcast, please take the time and listen to it! Incredibly well researched and presented, and sheds so much light on the case file that has until now been withheld by authorities. I found it so intriguing that there were 3 substantial suspects developed, yet each of them lacked enough hard facts/evidence to make anything stick - so frustrating for law enforcement I’m sure. SOMEBODY (former spouse, acquaintance, co-worker etc) surely has to know something about the true perpetrator in this case, wish they would open up and help bring this to a close.

I’m the original poster of this thread because I didn’t find the case on Websleuths. This case just blows my mind that it has remained unsolved all this time. For anyone who has not yet checked out The Long Dance podcast, please take the time and listen to it! Incredibly well researched and presented, and sheds so much light on the case file that has until now been withheld by authorities. I found it so intriguing that there were 3 substantial suspects developed, yet each of them lacked enough hard facts/evidence to make anything stick - so frustrating for law enforcement I’m sure. SOMEBODY (former spouse, acquaintance, co-worker etc) surely has to know something about the true perpetrator in this case, wish they would open up and help bring this to a close.
Especially, as the main suspect is still alive, an arrest would be awesome if he is indeed guilty.

So this guy kills 2 people in a horribly brutal manner and then lives out his life for the next half-century as a quietly successful small-town doctor? I don't know. Gaining control of this couple, restraining them, torturing and killing them--doesn't have the feel of a first-time or one-off crime.

So this guy kills 2 people in a horribly brutal manner and then lives out his life for the next half-century as a quietly successful small-town doctor? I don't know. Gaining control of this couple, restraining them, torturing and killing them--doesn't have the feel of a first-time or one-off crime.
It’s not. There are other things in his background that indicate he is a violent person, at the very least. He just kept getting passes due to being
A white doctor, IMO.

I listened to the podcast a few months back and have been processing it since then. The main suspect certainly is a mean person who behaves badly and sometimes violently. He has said some things that raise an eyebrow for sure. The circumstantial evidence against him doesn’t seem really that great. I guess maybe the police and the podcasters have a little more they’re not releasing. But here’s my take on things, and it’s out there I know.
One aspect of this case jumped out at me I could not make sense of it. Jessie’s car keys were in his pocket when he was found. And if I remember correctly, the car was locked. I could not imagine a killer coming up on them, forcing them out of the car, and Jessie saying, “oh wait a minute, let me lock my car(and/or) take my keys before you kidnap us”. To me this indicates not only that they knew the person or people they went with but they went willingly and were comfortable with them. They were planning on returning to their car. At the crime scene they were fully clothed, no sexual assault and were killed by some ropes that tied them to a tree in an odd way that ended up strangling them as they tried to free themselves. So here’s my weird theory. This was a college prank gone terribly tragically wrong. Some friends of theirs drove to where they knew they were parked. Invited them to a party or to join them for some fun somewhere. Jessie and Patricia agree to come along. Jessie locks the car and pockets his keys. The friends instead drive them to the woods. They’re thinking “ haha won’t this be funny. Tie the lovers to a tree. Bind them up. Leave them there. Scare ‘em a little. HaHa. We’ll leave them a little while then come back and all have a good laugh.”. They do just that. Patricia is bruised as they are wrestling with them. Leave them there with ropes tied oddly around them. Jessie and Patricia try to get free but because the ropes are tied together weird they tighten around their necks. The more they struggle the worse it gets and they are strangled to death. When the friends return they are confronted with awful scene. They have caused their friends deaths with a stupid college prank. They panic and swear to each other to say nothing. And they’ve pulled it off.
To me the biggest problem with this scenario is that the friends involved could keep it quiet so long or not behave in some way to attract attention. I know this is a HUGE departure from what is usually said about this case. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why Jessie would have his keys in his pocket unless he had left willingly and comfortably with people he knew, and if they left with friends, how do they end up tied to a tree and dead. It’s just my thoughts. Please pick it apart but be kind.

I listened to the podcast a few months back and have been processing it since then. The main suspect certainly is a mean person who behaves badly and sometimes violently. He has said some things that raise an eyebrow for sure. The circumstantial evidence against him doesn’t seem really that great. I guess maybe the police and the podcasters have a little more they’re not releasing. But here’s my take on things, and it’s out there I know.
One aspect of this case jumped out at me I could not make sense of it. Jessie’s car keys were in his pocket when he was found. And if I remember correctly, the car was locked. I could not imagine a killer coming up on them, forcing them out of the car, and Jessie saying, “oh wait a minute, let me lock my car(and/or) take my keys before you kidnap us”. To me this indicates not only that they knew the person or people they went with but they went willingly and were comfortable with them. They were planning on returning to their car. At the crime scene they were fully clothed, no sexual assault and were killed by some ropes that tied them to a tree in an odd way that ended up strangling them as they tried to free themselves. So here’s my weird theory. This was a college prank gone terribly tragically wrong. Some friends of theirs drove to where they knew they were parked. Invited them to a party or to join them for some fun somewhere. Jessie and Patricia agree to come along. Jessie locks the car and pockets his keys. The friends instead drive them to the woods. They’re thinking “ haha won’t this be funny. Tie the lovers to a tree. Bind them up. Leave them there. Scare ‘em a little. HaHa. We’ll leave them a little while then come back and all have a good laugh.”. They do just that. Patricia is bruised as they are wrestling with them. Leave them there with ropes tied oddly around them. Jessie and Patricia try to get free but because the ropes are tied together weird they tighten around their necks. The more they struggle the worse it gets and they are strangled to death. When the friends return they are confronted with awful scene. They have caused their friends deaths with a stupid college prank. They panic and swear to each other to say nothing. And they’ve pulled it off.
To me the biggest problem with this scenario is that the friends involved could keep it quiet so long or not behave in some way to attract attention. I know this is a HUGE departure from what is usually said about this case. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why Jessie would have his keys in his pocket unless he had left willingly and comfortably with people he knew, and if they left with friends, how do they end up tied to a tree and dead. It’s just my thoughts. Please pick it apart but be kind.
That’s certainly an jnteresting theory. So a couple of things I’ve heard are that Jessie and Patricia thought they were being approached by an authority figure - a cop or something like that, so they locked the car up and went along.

And what I have heard and read about the strangulations is that they were done sadistically, not accidentally. That the killer strangled them to unconsciousness, then let go only to strangle them again when they came to.

That’s certainly an jnteresting theory. So a couple of things I’ve heard are that Jessie and Patricia thought they were being approached by an authority figure - a cop or something like that, so they locked the car up and went along.

And what I have heard and read about the strangulations is that they were done sadistically, not accidentally. That the killer strangled them to unconsciousness, then let go only to strangle them again when they came to.

Thanks for the reply. If what you say is correct it would certainly put a few holes in my theory. Were these things in the podcast and I just forgot them or did you read these details somewhere else? I would like to read some more about the case if something is out there. The podcast was good but I felt it was leaving some things out.

Thanks for the reply. If what you say is correct it would certainly put a few holes in my theory. Were these things in the podcast and I just forgot them or did you read these details somewhere else? I would like to read some more about the case if something is out there. The podcast was good but I felt it was leaving some things out.
Here’s one source. And I believe it was also in the podcast.

Investigators seek help solving 46-year-old murder mystery :: WRAL.com

Here’s one source. And I believe it was also in the podcast.

Investigators seek help solving 46-year-old murder mystery :: WRAL.com

Thanks for posting this. It had a lot of good information in it.
As far as my weird theory, the postmortem puncture wounds and Patricia’s punch in the stomach, much harder than I was thinking, are hard to explain for sure. I think I had the tightening and loosening of the ropes during the strangulation as perhaps happening inadvertently as they were trying to get loose. The description here certainly makes it sound worse. I won’t totally throw it out the window yet but my weird theory certainly looks less likely from all that info.
So I’m back to the keys in his pocket and the car locked.That still in my opinion could not have happened if somebody snuck up behind them, forced them out of the car and kidnapped them, like the investigators in the article speculate may have happened. However I could get behind your thought about someone posing as a police officer accosting them. That would fall in line I think.
Thanks again for the info. I guess i’ve got some more thinking to do here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back