NC - Keith Scott, 43, killed by LEO, Charlotte, 20 Sept 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't hang with y'all. I'm a novice. I have my thoughts but don't have the rhetoric to hang so I'm out. Peace be with all. I wish we could be united but clearly that's impossible.

She called 911 during the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did she? Or was she narrating the video? Do we know that for sure? It sure sounded to me like she was narrating, or streaming a live update to a social media site.

What continues to astound me on here is all of the people who say they know what to do when stopped by LE. I have had three speeding tickets in my life and a few warnings. Never once did I think anything about how I should act with LE. I am not a criminal, have no criminal friends, have no friends who go to jail or prison. It is not part of my life.

Now I know cuz a person can get blown away for a wrong move. Who knew? Not me and I sincerely doubt the average middle calss white American thinks about how to act with LE. It is not part of our world

Here's a tip...
If you are holding a gun and LE tells you to drop it, your chances of survival increase drastically if you drop it.

ETA: I'm an average middle class white American. When I'm stopped, I keep my hands on the wheel (10 and 2) and follow directions.

What do you mean her husband was going to be shot no matter what?
GMAB

Maybe she was hoping beyond all hope that he wouldn't be shot because she knew he wasn't going to comply. After all she had to be aware her husband had been convicted of shooting a man and evading arrest and sentenced to 8 years in prison. Perhaps that's why she can be heard saying "Keith, don't do it".

jmo

Did she? Or was she narrating the video? Do we know that for sure? It sure sounded to me like she was narrating, or streaming a live update to a social media site.

Doghairrules must be talking about another video. Not the one she took.
If she called for EMS it had to be a while after he was shot. Because she narrated after he was shot. And made it clear that "he better f'n live".

What I keep coming back to is, what happened BEFORE the wife started video recording?

I'm really, really interested to find out what happened. Because I know police didn't just roll up on this guy and start shooting. They were there to serve a warrant to someone else, when this situation required their immediate full attention. And I want to know why.

What I keep coming back to is, what happened BEFORE the wife started video recording?

I'm really, really interested to find out what happened. Because I know police didn't just roll up on this guy and start shooting. They were there to serve a warrant to someone else, when this situation required their immediate full attention. And I want to know why.
and what's with the story he drove to wait on his kid's bus, but the wife is within hollering/videoing distance of his spot.

This post lands at random.

The tone in this thread is getting ugly and that is NOT in the spirit of Websleuths and is against TOS.

Get back to discussing this case specifically. Stop the snark and bickering ... if you can't manage to do that yourself, we can certainly do that for you.

:wave:

Are people really pointing to a misdemeanor from 12 years ago as justification for killing this man?
Or the fact that he was in possession of a firearm, which is a right hotly defended by many of the same people who are defending the killing of Mr Keith by saying "he had a gun!"
I'm sure he did not bring the gun (assuming he did indeed have one; rumors fly after these terrible incidents) intending to shoot some police officers while he waited for the school bus.
Bluesneakers said it beautifully. Compassion is a renewable resource. You can feel it for the child who got off the bus to find that instead of riding home with his dad, he was starting a new life without a father; you can feel it for the man who certainly felt confusion and terror in his last moments on earth, instead of the intended car ride with his child; and there will still be plenty left over for the officer who must now contend with having taken a life, as well as those of us who must live in a society where such things have become all too common.
Not a misdemeanor. Felony. He fired 10 times at a guy.
http://www.chron.com/news/local/article/Keith-Scott-killed-by-Charlotte-police-had-9242836.php

Do you think there's anything she could have done that would have saved his life? What was going on between him and the officers was going on and I don't think she could have changed anything. They weren't listening to her - why would her rushing into the middle of it change anything?

When she tried to get closer they told her no I agree with you

Everyone in Keith Lamont Scott's Charlotte neighborhood knew him

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/09/21/charlotte-victim-fixture-neighborhood/90798390/

CHARLOTTE — “Keith Lamont Scott was well-known in the neighborhood, a fixture in the after-school hours who sat in his truck, passing time reading while waiting for his son to step off the bus, according to local residents.

The first time Justin Petty noticed the man sitting in his truck with a book, the sight struck him as odd, but he soon realized Scott’s reading was a daily habit.

Scott, the 43-year-old father of seven who was recently injured in a motorcycle accident, was waiting each day for his son to be dropped off from school.”​

More...

Scott, Castile and the women who filmed their final moments

Videos of police shooting and killing black men have transfixed Americans, relaunched debate on police overreach and sparked protests and riots in recent years.

However, two recent videos -- showing Keith Lamont Scott and Philando Castile, both killed by police -- are particularly noteworthy for being captured by women, who despite their fear of the situation unfolding, maintained their composure and documented the incidents for authorities and the public.

With officers continuing to point guns at her husband, she begins to address him directly -- appealing to him with urgent rationale.

"Keith, don't let them break the windows," she says. "Come on out the car."

Rakeyia Scott goes on to say: "Keith, don't let them break the windows; come on out the car. Keith! Don't do it. Keith, get out the car. Keith! Keith! Don't you do it. Don't you do it. Keith! Keith! Keith!"

The video shakes, and for a moment, a man in bright blue pants is seen near the surrounded vehicle. Gunshots are heard as she says again, "Don't you do it."

She then yells: "Did you shoot him? Did you shoot him? He better not be (expletive) dead." Two people kneel over the figure with blue pants, apparently Keith Scott, now lying on the ground.

Although she is angry, she assures police that she will not approach them but will continue to record. She then asks if an ambulance was called.

In both cases, viewers of the videos commented on how unnaturally calm Rakeyia Scott and Diamond Reynolds were in the midst of the deadly situations.

The women, however, are clear about their motivations, saying they wanted to expose police overreach and hold officers accountable.

"We want the public to take a look at this tape and see what was in the video before he was shot, and what was there afterward, and ask how it got there," Eduardo Curry, an attorney for the Scott family, said about Rakeyia Scott's decision to release the video and the debate over whether her husband was carrying a gun or book.

Under North Carolina law, Scott would have been prohibited from owning firearms or ammunition because he had been convicted of a violent felony.

When he was 30, in 2003, a Bexar County, Texas, grand jury indicted him on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and evading arrest with a vehicle after Scott allegedly shot a man the previous year. Scott pleaded no contest and was sentenced to more than eight years in prison after his 2005 conviction.

http://m.wlky.com/national/keith-lamont-scott-what-we-know/41783144

Family and neighbors call Scott a quiet ‘family man’

“Yolanda Haskins says she’s lived in the neighborhood 10 years. She said Scott, his wife and their seven children moved into the neighborhood over the summer to stay with relatives who live in the complex.

She said she’d often see Scott waiting for his son’s elementary school bus to arrive, usually between 4:30 and 4:45 p.m. On hot days, like Tuesday, she said he often waited in his truck in the shade.

“They’re just friendly people,” she said.

Neighbors said Scott was disabled. A husband and wife who lived across the street from the family said they saw Scott daily, walking the complex with a cane and a book in his hand. “He did the same things every day,” said the wife, who with her husband has lived in the neighborhood for four years.

“I would see him with his cane. Either he sat in his truck there, or he sat up when it was time to get the kids off the bus. But he walked with a book, he sat in his car, quiet man.””​

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article103265887.html#storylink=cpy

Well, this guy was a real, ticking time bomb, IMO. It was just a matter of time. Situation makes even more sense when you hear his priors.
So he should be shot to death?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I think a police officer who can't tell the difference between a pan of freshly baked brownies and a gun has a huge problem and has chosen the wrong career. Imagine being shot simply for holding those yummy brownies! No excuses. I don't mean brandishing, complying, ignoring.

I mean the officer thought he saw a weapon, felt threatened, and shot an unarmed civilian. How many times this behavior is acceptable varies for some, but imho one is too many.
But when an object is being held inside their pocket or behind the back, how are they supposed to know the difference?

Cops don't have X-ray vision. If they are telling a suspect let me see your hands and the person just stands there with his hands in there pocket, waistband, behind their back...what do we realistically expect here?

Well when the civil suit is filed (and we all know it will be) she is going to have a hard time explaining what she was referring to when she got really animated and screamed "don't do it Keith!" "don't do it Keith!" right before the shots.

JMO

You know, at first I thought she was referring to just her husband when she said, "Keith don't you do it! ... Keith don't you do it!"

But after reading a Youtube comment that I pasted below, and watching the video a few more times, I'm not so sure about this.

Here's the Youtube comment:
Ask yourself, who the lady was talking too? She was trying to reach her husband, while at the same time pleading with the cops not to shoot her husband.. DONT YOU DO IT.. as in don't shoot my husband. She was shouting at the cops, while trying to talk to her husband. In real life we don't narrate who we are talking to.. "Husband" don't let them break the windows; "Cops" don't you do it! From just hearing it behind the camera, it sounds like she is only talking to one person. When you can't see who people are looking at while they are talking, the conversation can become confusing.

He was doing something she didn't think he should do IMO. She got really upset when she started yelling that and right after the shots were fired.

That's how I interpret it.

Watch the balcony video--the officer in the red shirt never moves his foot, just pivots off of it like he has it on top of something (gun).

Ok. So on the "waiting for the bus" idea, is the child who gets off the bus so young has has to be met at the bus stop? Say, a child younger than 9 or so? And so Keith would go to the bus stop which was basically the parking lot of his apartment complex, and to get out of the sun/have some place to sit, he'd sit in his truck? And the bus arrival would vary by several minutes so he usually had something to read while he waited in the parking lot? I'm really trying to piece this back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parzval