NC NC - Leila, 36, & Mary Rachel Bryan, 4, Carolina Beach, 10 May 1941

At least 21 missing person cases remain open in Cape Fear region

Leila Lewis Bryan and daughter Mary Rachel.
Ages: 36 and 4.
Missing from: Carolina Beach.
Date missing: May 10, 1941.
Summary: Bryan and her only child, Mary Rachel, were last seen in Carolina Beach as they left home about 9 p.m. to go to the store in a black Ford coupe and were never seen again. Neighbors reported seeing Bryan's husband laying concrete at their home on the same night his wife and daughter disappeared. He has since died and excavation of the concrete floor at 214 Raleigh Road in 2008 turned up no remains.
Investigating agency: North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, (910) 486-1262.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20131209/ARTICLES/131209704/1017/news0102?template=printpicart

Strange that a store was even open that late back then. My thought is she planned on leaving him maybe the std or another man. She went to visit her family with her plan. Her brother filled in the blanks of how,when,where etc.
Maybe the brother helped them escape. Maybe a age regression should be done.
Maybe they were going to run and did end up in a water source the brother went to the husband's to see if his sister changed her mind about leaving. Maybe she was to meet her before she left town. She never showed and he went looking for her.
Her brother should be re interviewed. The friend too.
I don't see anything on the husband about the loss of his wife and daughter. I think he wondered for the rest of his life. Did he have any other kids? If he did maybe they know a but in how the husband reacted what he told them his theories
I think the brother knows something and should come forward. Maybe he knows a idea of where she would have gone.
Where were the skeletons found?

Hi All,
This is my first time actually posting on Websleuths, so please bare with me. I am Lelia Bryan's Great Grand Niece, and I thought I would stop in and give you guys more information on the case. The story by Pat Clausen is somewhat based on the Bryan case, but there were a lot of creative liberties taken. From what I know about the actual case, the "Cora" person never existed, and the mercury purchase is also not true. I almost hesitate to link to the sPDF, but it does have a lot of newspaper articles from the case...

I believe the corrections to the document were made by another relative of Leila's, Lewis Smith. He is the one that got the SBI to do the Ground Penetrating Radar. I spoke with a NC SBI agent, and although he could not release any information to me because the case is still technically open, he said that Lewis has as much information as they do. I have spoken to Lewis, and he said he would send me a packet of information, but I believe it is the same information in the link above.

I have made a detailed write-up on Reddit's r/unresolvedmysteries sub, if you are interested. It includes links to everything that I have currently. I am still working to get more information on both EC's and Leila's backgrounds as well as more information about the area.

I hope this answers a few questions and gives more insight to the case. The general consensus on Reddit is that she ran away from a bad marriage. The family (including Lewis) believe that EC killed her. I am on the fence. I really want to know more about their relationship. The family didn't like EC from the beginning because he was a divorcee', and I believe that may have had a lot of influence on their opinions after the fact.

Anyway, thank you all for helping to keep the case alive :)

Hi All,
This is my first time actually posting on Websleuths, so please bare with me. I am Lelia Bryan's Great Grand Niece, and I thought I would stop in and give you guys more information on the case. The story by Pat Clausen is somewhat based on the Bryan case, but there were a lot of creative liberties taken. From what I know about the actual case, the "Cora" person never existed, and the mercury purchase is also not true. I almost hesitate to link to the sPDF, but it does have a lot of newspaper articles from the case...

I believe the corrections to the document were made by another relative of Leila's, Lewis Smith. He is the one that got the SBI to do the Ground Penetrating Radar. I spoke with a NC SBI agent, and although he could not release any information to me because the case is still technically open, he said that Lewis has as much information as they do. I have spoken to Lewis, and he said he would send me a packet of information, but I believe it is the same information in the link above.

I have made a detailed write-up on Reddit's r/unresolvedmysteries sub, if you are interested. It includes links to everything that I have currently. I am still working to get more information on both EC's and Leila's backgrounds as well as more information about the area.

I hope this answers a few questions and gives more insight to the case. The general consensus on Reddit is that she ran away from a bad marriage. The family (including Lewis) believe that EC killed her. I am on the fence. I really want to know more about their relationship. The family didn't like EC from the beginning because he was a divorcee', and I believe that may have had a lot of influence on their opinions after the fact.

Anyway, thank you all for helping to keep the case alive :)

Welcome to Websleuths Halfyoat! I've been intrigued by your great grand aunt's(hope I got that right) disappear for about 10 years now. I am a local to the area she went missing if you need any info regarding the area. I actually have walking by her house before out of curiosity. Feel free to message me! .

As a local to the area, the five and dime store she went to (now I don't know the exact building but I do know the general area), it wasn't anywhere near snow's cut (the bridge and where a windshield was found). In fact it's in the opposite direction. I can make a map of the area.

This goes to the theory her vehicle ended up in the Cape Fear river.
The only way she could have ended up in the water was:
1) if she accidentally drove in; however, she'd have to have been driving out of Carolina beach and into Wilmington, which back then the road into town would have mainly been wooded and rural, and it takes about 15 minutes to get to Monkey Junction (probably not much there back then, maybe a gas station, a few general stores) and about 20-30 minutes to get to downtown Wilmington from Carolina beach. I'm also not sure what the bridge was like in the 40's, since they have since rebuilt it. I believe the bottom frame of it is still visible.
2)Or if she intentionally drove in there (don't buy it)
3)And last, if someone put the car in the river to hide evidence.

I don't buy that she disappeared to leave a bad marriage because she seemed close to her family. I also want to know where the skeletons that were found are currently, because a second more technological opinion would be helpful. I think it's too much of a coincidence that two female skeletons that are an adult and a child turn up in the same area where a mother and child went missing. The area an article said they were found near is the Dow plant (Ethyl-Dow Chemical plant), which is a heavily wooded and government "no trespassing" property; however, the locals go back there to the old plants ruins.

About a zoo keeper finding the bones while chasing a pony...I find that strange, for one Carolina Beach does not have wild ponies that I've heard of, at least not now anyways. The zoo keeper likely was George Tregembo who opened a roadside zoo in 1952 (bones were found in 1956 [eerily on my birthday!]) The zoo is still here.

About questions about why a store would be open at 9 pm and why she allowed her daughter to be up that late. Nearby Carolina beach has a boardwalk where stores are open pretty late during the summer/spring break seasons.

The boardwalk was first built in 1887 and was drawing visitors ever since. In Sept 1940 it was burnt down by a fire, but was quickly rebuilt for the summer of 1941. Could it have still been under construction when they went missing?

Anyways, the 40's/50's was the when CB's popularity started to make shape. In present day, It has a carnival that comes through each year around May. I don't know when it started to become annually, but the boardwalk was accompanied by carnival type rides/games as early as 1925.

At the fair that comes through every summer it isn't unusual to see young children with their families as late as 9-11:30 pm especially on the weekend when it's most busy. The day Leila and Mary Rachel went missing was on a Saturday.

I know this ha been quiet for a while but this case needs to. E still looked at! I found and read up on this today, as well as the Reddit thread linked above by the niece. It caught my attention because I grew up 2 hours south at Surfside Beach and all of my relatives were living along the stretches of beaches between Surfside and Carolina back to the 1920s. A few issues/assumptions seemed odd to me so I called my 95 yo grandmother to discuss.

In May 1941 she was 18 and married (graduating from high school at 15 back then so this was "mature") and her sister was 21 and married, both living in Myrtle Beach on the main boulevard. This beach (as they all were along this strip into southern NC) was very similar and you really could barely tell when one ended and the other started. That said, Myrtle was maybe 5 or so years ahead of Carolina as far as being built up, so I think it's a good comparison.

In addition they had an aunt and uncle in Wilmington they would visit who would take them over to Carolina Beach for dinner so there is something to compare it to. Here are the things she said that stand out to me:

References to it being a well known case and even nationwide hunt: she laughed and said 'not hardly'. She had never heard of it or read about it and she is one to keep up with the news. She said back then they read the weekly Grit paper and listened to the radio for news. They would have frequented her aunt and uncle's at that time but still never came up. And she still remembers murders and such from back then as they were rare.

The way LB was dressed when she went to the store- Nana said for sure she would have been dressed that casually- no question. It was a beach town and hot. "I never wore hose or such unless I went into town to a fancy store. Sundresses, shorts, turbans, and flip flops- that's what we lived in.

The store- first off she knew right away it was a Mack's dime store. It was on the boardwalk and she knew it. Mack's was also the drugstore in Myrtle, as well as 3 more beach towns she reeled off. She did confirm they sold "undies" there (lol!!) And she insisted that they never would have been open past 9. I asked about this over and over- even in a tourist spot? Even at the beach? Even in the summer? She added that in 1941 all of those beach towns practically shut down from Labor Day until school was out at the END of May. So even if they stayed open a little later in the summer, it wasn't season yet and "later" would still be 9ish.

Pouring concrete- not suspicious at all. My grandfather was a builder who also built most of the houses they lived in and she said many an evening until dark he was out doing things like laying forms and pouring concrete. She said what WAS suspicious is that if he had been doing that and she said she was running to the store he would have never been able to describe what she was wearing in that kind of detail and she didn't know any husband then who could.

The car- she said you would expect LB to walk to the store but bc it was that time of night and she had the little girl it wasn't suspicious. We both also find it odd that if the car was submerged in surrounding waters that the various severe hurricanes and floods there over the years didn't unearth something.

I think that is all I asked so far. Now she is interested too and wants me to tell her more.

On a last side note, I read this article from 2011 when they dug up the concrete and was shocked to see they were using my great-uncle's (Nana's brother no less) archeological sifting screens that he designed and manufactures. Weird, small world.

And last, this article is either very poorly written or has many timeline-detail discrepancies from earlier stories.

http://www.twcnews.com/archives/nc/...s-case-in-nc-gets-new-look-NC_644556.old.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this ha been quiet for a while but this case needs to. E still looked at! I found and read up on this today, as well as the Reddit thread linked above by the niece. It caught my attention because I grew up 2 hours south at Surfside Beach and all of my relatives were living along the stretches of beaches between Surfside and Carolina back to the 1920s. A few issues/assumptions seemed odd to me so I called my 95 yo grandmother to discuss.

In May 1941 she was 18 and married (graduating from high school at 15 back then so this was "mature") and her sister was 21 and married, both living in Myrtle Beach on the main boulevard. This beach (as they all were along this strip into southern NC) was very similar and you really could barely tell when one ended and the other started. That said, Myrtle was maybe 5 or so years ahead of Carolina as far as being built up, so I think it's a good comparison.

In addition they had an aunt and uncle in Wilmington they would visit who would take them over to Carolina Beach for dinner so there is something to compare it to. Here are the things she said that stand out to me:

References to it being a well known case and even nationwide hunt: she laughed and said 'not hardly'. She had never heard of it or read about it and she is one to keep up with the news. She said back then they read the weekly Grit paper and listened to the radio for news. They would have frequented her aunt and uncle's at that time but still never came up. And she still remembers murders and such from back then as they were rare.

The way LB was dressed when she went to the store- Nana said for sure she would have been dressed that casually- no question. It was a beach town and hot. "I never wore hose or such unless I went into town to a fancy store. Sundresses, shorts, turbans, and flip flops- that's what we lived in.

The store- first off she knew right away it was a Mack's dime store. It was on the boardwalk and she knew it. Mack's was also the drugstore in Myrtle, as well as 3 more beach towns she reeled off. She did confirm they sold "undies" there (lol!!) And she insisted that they never would have been open past 9. I asked about this over and over- even in a tourist spot? Even at the beach? Even in the summer? She added that in 1941 all of those beach towns practically shut down from Labor Day until school was out at the END of May. So even if they stayed open a little later in the summer, it wasn't season yet and "later" would still be 9ish.

Pouring concrete- not suspicious at all. My grandfather was a builder who also built most of the houses they lived in and she said many an evening until dark he was out doing things like laying forms and pouring concrete. She said what WAS suspicious is that if he had been doing that and she said she was running to the store he would have never been able to describe what she was wearing in that kind of detail and she didn't know any husband then who could.

The car- she said you would expect LB to walk to the store but bc it was that time of night and she had the little girl it wasn't suspicious. We both also find it odd that if the car was submerged in surrounding waters that the various severe hurricanes and floods there over the years didn't unearth something.

I think that is all I asked so far. Now she is interested too and wants me to tell her more.

On a last side note, I read this article from 2011 when they dug up the concrete and was shocked to see they were using my great-uncle's (Nana's brother no less) archeological sifting screens that he designed and manufactures. Weird, small world.

And last, this article is either very poorly written or has many timeline-detail discrepancies from earlier stories.

http://www.twcnews.com/archives/nc/...s-case-in-nc-gets-new-look-NC_644556.old.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! This is exactly what this case needed. Insight from someone that was there!

With your grandmother's recollection of Mack's Five and Dime I found it's location. I found it was on the boardwalk across from Britt's donuts (still in business). I thought it was nearby on the corner near the boardwalk where a general store once was.

It was a 2 minute drive (not including parking) and a 5 minute walk from her house. The Snow's cut bridge area (around where the windshield was found) is a little bit under two miles away and was approx. a 5 minute drive from her house.

I made a map. The first one a close up, and the second shows the bridge, which some theorize is where they ended up in the water. CB 2.jpgCB.PNG

I wish more people would think of Mary Rachel. She was only four and Leila was a grown woman who had had a lot of life.

Wow. Just finding out about this case tonight and have been reading for hours. There was a newspaper clipping that explained in detail how the skeletons weren’t them. It may be linked above in the story article which I haven’t check out yet but will now.

lelia.jpg

Leila Lewis Bryan

rachel-21.jpg

Mary Rachel

LINKS:
https://www.*****************/media...arolina-beach-n-c-since10-may-1941-age-36.84/

Missing - Please Find Us

Leila & Mary Rachel Bryan

Last edited:
A baby name/mothers site i tried to raise Our Mom and Little Girl on decided to be vicious and tore apart Mary Rachel Bryan's name. One of them even said that her name was bland and boring and she'd be named Mia Rochelle today.

A baby name/mothers site i tried to raise Our Mom and Little Girl on decided to be vicious and tore apart Mary Rachel Bryan's name. One of them even said that her name was bland and boring and she'd be named Mia Rochelle today.

Weird. Let's change history some 79 years later. That is like changing the composer Monteverdi's name to "Greenberg" to make it more modern.

Lelia Lewis Bryan – The Charley Project
Mary Rachel Bryan – The Charley Project

picture added, distinguishing characteristics and vehicle information updated

• Associated Vehicle(s)Black 1935 Ford Model A coupe with the 1941 North Carolina license plate number 219-056 and the engine number 18-1833996
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Black hair, gray eyes. Some accounts spell Lelia's name "Lela." She has a small scar on her neck under her chin.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back