NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #3

The stepfather, Christopher Palmiter, will appear in a Mecklenburg County courtroom this week after pleading not guilty during an arraignment to charges of failure to report Madalina Cojocari’s disappearance. She was 11 at the time of her disappearance.

The trial was set to begin at 9:30 a.m. Monday, May 20, at the Mecklenburg County courthouse, but got pushed back to Tuesday, May 21. Since January of 2023, multiple dispositions and in-person arraignment hearings have been held, according to court records.

Her plea was not part of a plea arrangement, and a judge ruled she is competent to stand trial. The judge also said Diana has served the maximum amount of time under the charge and will be released from custody.

The judge told her that she will likely be deported from the United States upon her release because she is in the country on a green card. She told the judge she was aware of that possibility.

(I would be surprised if she was deported while it is an active investigation.)

So many questions:

Will Palmiter also plea guilty, forego trial, and be released on time-served like DC?

When Failure to Report Missing Child case is over, is there any chance they can both be served new warrants with additional charges (trafficking, manslaughter, murder)?

It sure doesn't feel like any justice was served when it comes to the STILL missing child in this case.

DC pleades guilty, walks free, gets deported back home.
Okay, where's Madalina? Also back in her home country, as a result of mom disappearing her in the first place?

jmo

It sure doesn't feel like any justice was served when it comes to the STILL missing child in this case.

DC pleades guilty, walks free, gets deported back home.
Okay, where's Madalina? Also back in her home country, as a result of mom disappearing her in the first place?

jmo
Right. So far, no justice is served and it's infuriating. Disappear daughter, plead NG, wait out 17 months in jail then get released to home country. Deportation to Moldova may be seen as a gift for DC as she has no means of support in U.S. and no one wants her free here anyway. Even more infuriating is if LE and FBI have no substantial evidence to up the charges.
moo

Last edited:
A theory here, if anyone wants to follow all this: Okay, DC was caught making plans with that relative of hers to smuggle Madalina out of the country (and herself, supposedly, though that could also have been kinda "talking in code" to him on the phone). Apparently, that relative was suspected of participation in a drug trafficking ring, so he and his phone were under surveillance by LE, which is how they got that info. I think this is very unusual and makes this case different from most cases like it.

Then DC was stopped by LE in that suspicious area in the mountains, I think it's where the relative in question lived? (It's been a while so I don't remember everything). And, apparently, she had her and Madalina's passports with her. I'm not sure why she'd have their passports with her, but her having them and not actually using them makes it sound to me more like she was selling Madalina into s trafficking rather than trying to have her smuggled away for safety. Who would hand their young daughter over to traffickers when they could simply hop on a plane? I don't think the murky, mysterious reasons DC hinted at make any sense, when she had the passports in her possession. Even if she was afraid CP would come after them, surely she'd rather hide from him in her own country of origin rather than hand her young daughter over to known traffickers? And if her plan really was to escape, why didn't she go too?

DC has also had a couple of hints at possible drug use, which would provide a motive for selling her daughter, horrible as it is to even think of. A drug dog alerted on her car and she was caught with drugs in the jail.

And I could definitely see DC being more afraid of smugglers/traffickers than she is of LE, a strong reason to not cooperate with LE. DC's own "mail order" type marriage to a much older man also hints at possible familiarity with s trafficking, or something like it anyway.

Going with this theory, we'd then need to see how CP fits in. It's possible he's involved and both parents are more afraid of the traffickers than they are of LE. Otherwise, it seems LE and the FBI could have easily turned these two amateurs against each other.

Another possibility is that CP doesn't have any info to barter with, that he really doesn't know anything. His midnight ride to another state at just the right time seemed highly suspicious to me but it is possible that it actually was legit and just a coincidence.

Also, statistically it's far more likely for a stepfather to do something so horrible (sell or kill the child) than the mother. But there are additional strange factors in this case, as mentioned.

The long burning fire in the backyard would remain unexplained then, but could be another weird coincidence or even deliberate strange behavior to try to throw investigators off.

In any case, I don't know why DC even told the school that she hadn't seen Madalina. Why didn't she just say Madalina was with relatives in another state or homeschooling or something, in the first place?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Madalina Cojocari’s mother pleads guilty to failing to report her disappearance​

CHARLOTTE — On Monday, the mother of missing Cornelius girl Madalina Cojocari pleaded guilty in connection with her daughter’s disappearance.
Diana’s plea was not part of a deal, and sentencing is completely up to the court.

Palmiter was also expected to be in court Monday for a jury trial. He has pleaded not guilty to his charge.
"
The judge said it’s highly likely Cojocari will face deportation back to Moldova since she’s in the United States on a green card.

According to the Mecklenburg County jail, if U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement files the paperwork before her release papers are filed, then they will hold her until she’s given over to their custody. If ICE doesn’t get those papers before, she will be released as they will have no power to hold her."

At this point all I can hope is that Madalina was smuggled out of the country successfully, and Now Diana will be returned back to her home country and her and Madalina will be reunited. How much pull does LE have in Moldova that they would be able to watch her and see if they reconnect? Or will DC just vanish over there? If she makes it back to Moldova and Madalina is there, can DC be held accountable for anything?

Her plea was not part of a plea arrangement, and a judge ruled she is competent to stand trial. The judge also said Diana has served the maximum amount of time under the charge and will be released from custody.

The judge told her that she will likely be deported from the United States upon her release because she is in the country on a green card. She told the judge she was aware of that possibility.

(I would be surprised if she was deported while it is an active investigation.)
If this were a movie, an the main character tucked money aside in order to escape a bad marriage, was arrested on charges related to her minor having gone missing, pleads guilty, is deported where she ways five patient years to connect with her now 18 year old, safe, I think we'd be applauding. We rarely get applauding on the threads, parents murdering their children too too too tragically common....

Passports -- too risky to smuggle them both, perhaps the mule rejected her and rejected passports. Wouldn't have been "safe" to travel M out of the country under her own name! Perhaps the handler her new credentials in hand, cleverly traveling out of the country maybe even within a nuclear family, with the legitimate passport of a real live child... if M understood the situation, she'd be fully cooperative...

If you don't think you can trust the country, trust the legal system, trust the authorities (law enforcement or law), what COULD a mom do?

If I'm half right, what fate was she desperate to save her daughter from?

She just may be the smartest person in the room.

JMI

Did DC pay the one-in-a-million smuggler with the heart of an angel to bring Madalina to Moldova? I doubt it. Human smugglers and traffickers are not good people..

Human smugglers and traffickers are among the most dangerous of criminals. People who enter into the journey voluntarily, are often exposed to risks of being re-trafficked, kidnapped or dying in transit to their destinations.

Human trafficking occurs for specific purposes, such as sexual exploitation, labor exploitation, forced criminality, organ removal and more. I believe it is a mistake to consider a smuggler would preform a good deed for DC, and provide a happy ending for her and Madalina.

If/when we receive real evidence of DC and Madalina reuniting in Moldova I will be thrilled to admit I am wrong.
My Opinion Only and apologies to those who disagree. I just try to quietly state my opinion without arguing it.

Last edited:
Did DC pay the one-in-a-million smuggler with the heart of an angel to bring Madalina to Moldova? I doubt it. Human smugglers and traffickers are not good people..

Human smugglers and traffickers are among the most dangerous of criminals. People who enter into the journey voluntarily, are often exposed to risks of being re-trafficked, kidnapped or dying in transit to their destinations.

Human trafficking occurs for specific purposes, such as sexual exploitation, labor exploitation, forced criminality, organ removal and more. I believe it is a mistake to consider a smuggler would preform a good deed for DC, and provide a happy ending for her and Madalina.

If/when we receive real evidence of DC and Madalina reuniting in Moldova I will be thrilled to admit I am wrong.
My Opinion Only and apologies to those who disagree. I just try to quietly state my opinion without arguing it.
I agree. Traffickers are a cutthroat bunch

If she handed her off, IMO it was with the intent of safe passage, perhaps through a church group from Moldova.

There are no charges, no evidence of which we're aware that she is deceased or murdered....

If anyone is providing her harbor in Moldava, is there any crime attached to that? I can see why they wouldn't come forward if to do so puts mother or daughter or both at a risk greater than incarceration.

I wait. I watch. I hope I'm right because it means she's alive.

JMO

Why would a trafficker hold on to Madalina for all this time? Why would the grandmother claim she’s been sold (for 5 million dollars for heaven sakes!) if Madalina was taken back to family in Moldova?

Nothing makes sense. I don’t trust either parent no matter what they say. Produce Madalina if you have her! If DC has family willing to hide Madalina from… who? Then someone, somewhere would be able to assure LE that she was safe.

I call bs. JMO

From your link:

The stepfather of missing Cornelius girl Madalina Cojocari has posted bond, according to the Mecklenburg County Detention Center.

The judge also ordered that he is to have electronic monitoring and be subject to pre-trial supervision as part of his bond. It’s not immediately clear when Palmiter posted the bond.

During Thursday’s court appearance, Palmiter’s attorney discussed how the defendant’s investing in a retirement account led Madalina’s mother to believe they were in danger.

Defense attorney Brandon Roseman said, “There’s a lot of backstory in this case” when addressing the judge during the appearance.

Palmiter met with detectives and voluntarily did interviews for several hours, according to the attorney. The defendant believed Madalina’s mother, Diana Cojocari, had taken the child up in the mountains and she was safe.

More at the link, worth reading.
I am very late to this one, and saddened and stumped that the case is where it seems to be. Reading through all up thread, one note in the above caught my attention:

“During Thursday’s court appearance, Palmiter’s attorney discussed how the defendant’s investing in a retirement account led Madalina’s mother to believe they were in danger.”

That sounds absurd to say the least. Yet I wonder, was there possibly any life insurance taken out on the child? On anyone else? By whom if so? Any other investment instruments? And same questions if so.

I am sure that investigators are examining all angles…… just wish it was a little more clear. The dear poor sweet child. :( MOO

If this were a movie, an the main character tucked money aside in order to escape a bad marriage, was arrested on charges related to her minor having gone missing, pleads guilty, is deported where she ways five patient years to connect with her now 18 year old, safe, I think we'd be applauding. We rarely get applauding on the threads, parents murdering their children too too too tragically common....

Passports -- too risky to smuggle them both, perhaps the mule rejected her and rejected passports. Wouldn't have been "safe" to travel M out of the country under her own name! Perhaps the handler her new credentials in hand, cleverly traveling out of the country maybe even within a nuclear family, with the legitimate passport of a real live child... if M understood the situation, she'd be fully cooperative...

If you don't think you can trust the country, trust the legal system, trust the authorities (law enforcement or law), what COULD a mom do?

If I'm half right, what fate was she desperate to save her daughter from?

She just may be the smartest person in the room.

JMI
As far as I can recall, LE hasen't given the public any reason to believe DC has performed any sort of altuistic act to disappear Madalina.

If that IS what she did, and Madalina is safe, there would have been zero reason for her to lie to LE about it since whatever perceived threat she was under has now been removed by removing Madalina.

As for her not knowing who she can trust, it's not as if she's on her own, she's had legal counsel the whole time who would have most certainly advised her it's in her best interests if she knows anything, to be honest with LE. And she has chosen all along not to do that.

To me that doesn't even come close to being the smartest person in the room. That makes her (at best) a lying criminal that potentially disappeared her own child and refuses to tell LE where she is.

jmo

Adding to the list of things that don't make sense/we don't have anywhere near enough info about to even guess possible facts around: I can't stop wondering about the plywood "room" built into their kitchen area. Just, why? For what supposed purpose?

Same with burning the couch in the yard. What was that all about anyway?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX
Back