NC - Melvin Levine, renowned pediatrician and pedophile*found deceased*

While we're on the subject, I'd like to know why former Baltimore child psychiatrist Miguel Frontera- who lost his medical license for molesting young boys in 2010 - is still listing himself as an MD and has a bigtime job as a medical director? What's going on here?

http://www.linkedin.com/in/miguelfronteramd

Here's Frontera's website http://miguelfronteramd.net/

Very nervy of him- even more nervy than Mel Levine was.

Here's a link to Frontera's "Order for summary suspension of license to practice medicine" in Maryland.

Lots of detail, good investigation. They even interviewed other independent previous patients and got identical stories from people who had had no contact with each other. This kind of attention to detail in an investigation is impressive compared to what we normally seem to get.

https://www.mbp.state.md.us/bpqapp/Orders/D3755911.069.PDF

Mercyneal--I would suggest a thread on Frontera. And "On", it's great to see you on board. Very interesting link. Thank you.

Let's not forget that former doctor, James Krivacska is still writing journal articles from behind prison bars.....about sexuality and children. They have no shame at all. Zero.

Concerning Frontera, we've got a victim speaking out in 2000 and others in 2006. I see lots of info about referrals and reviews and investigations stretching into 2009 and yet my mind is reeling. Just what services and support were these child victims receiving during these intervening years?

This is a timely and appropriate investigation concerning a man with these professional credentials and access to children?

After the summary suspension in 2009, Frontera's license was permanently revoked in 2010.

Last summer a Baltimore Sun reporter said the police were still investigating Frontera. I am gonna see if I can find out what happened.

I just called the Board of Maryland Physicians. As soon as I said, "Miguel Frontera had his license revoked but is still advertising himself as a doctor," the person said, "We are aware of this situation and are investigating." She asked to fax over any other new information I had on Frontera.

snip from Mercy's link regarding the additional patients suing Children's:

“As a result of CHILDREN’S negligence, Levine was able to continue his sexual abuse of child patients in North Carolina for an additional twenty years,” the suit alleges. “Defendant CHILDREN’S … should have known, that Levine was not a fit person to be placed in charge of the treatment of minor male pediatric patients.”

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/29/1090065/hospital-sued-over-pediatrician.html#ixzz1I5tneO6J

Levine conceded his license because he knew the Medical Board had sufficient evidence to revoke his license. Sort of like an Alford plea.

Let's hope that Children's goes through their patient records for Levine and reaches out to any patients who were minors during the time that Levine was treating them. Which would be all of them. :banghead:

Eleven Levine victims in North Carolina have just filed a lawsuit against Boston Children's Hospital for failing to take action against Levine after accusations surfaced:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/29/1090065/hospital-sued-over-pediatrician.html

RespectfullyQuoted Mercyneal :)

:tyou: to everyone involved with this thread. I also applaud the bravery of the victims to come forward and tell their stories. I could go on and on about how deeply it makes me ill there are 'adults' who sexually abuse children-and how it is accepted and covered up usually.

I would like to see the Children's Hospital held accountable for what has happened to children in their care, in the care of their physicians. Three molesters from one hospital. Sickening.

Children must be taught there are adults who will try to abuse them in this way. IMHO. We cannot find all of these abusers, they hide right in front of us-for many children it is their own family. Over and over again, with the priests, politicians and physicians are stories of abusing children. Which is bad enough but when what they have done is covered up by larger entities(such as the hospital where they work or the Vatican) it is insidious.

My husband was molested as a child by a male friend of the family and later, again by a young man in the neighborhood. I don't mean to be o/t, I wanted to share where I was coming from with most of my comments.

Before I met my husband I would have been just as appalled, was just as appalled by the sexual abuse of children-but now when I read these types of cases it has a more personal feeling for me. My husband has not been able to express much of how he feels about being abused and being able to read the words of the men who were brave enough to speak out is healing for both of us.

I will let him know these men spoke out, it helps. I hope someone tells those men, women...all the victims who speak out-what they are doing by speaking out is changing the future. If we are to ever have a world where children are safe from sexual abuse, it will be because of those who have come forward and told their story. Told the truth.

I wanted to add to this thread. To say something out loud too. I wish every child could understand their world better to know there is this potential. I don't mean to make kids feel the world is unsafe or cause them to have fear. I just feel we cannot stop the adults right now, but we can let the children know. The adults act normal when they know they should, they only become monsters when they get children alone.

What is it, we are doing or not doing as adults that children cannot or do not come forward and say what has happened to them? Every child should have a place, a way to express that this has happened and every time it should be taken as serious as any presidential election.

Thank you again to everyone for this thread. I will wait to see if there is any apology or "whatever" from the hospital that allowed so many children to be hurt under its roof. My deepest sympathies to all the victims of Mr. Levine, and their loved ones.

:cow:

Chiquita71:
You said,"Three molesters from one hospital. Sickening.

Tragically, there are more than three molesters coming from Boston Children's Hospital.

1) Mel Levine
2) Carleton Gajdusek (Nobel Prize winner)
3) William Ayres
4) Donald Lee Rife
5)Edward Daniels

6)Also, a prominent child psychiatrist who worked at Judge Baker and Children's from 1947 to 1974. One of his victims has just come forward and most likely will be contacting a lawyer. Can't name the doctor (who is deceased) until the victim gives me the go-ahead.

This child psychiatrist was at Judge Baker with Ayres, and later with Don Rife.

I have been told by doctors who worked at Judge Baker and Children's that there were other pedophile doctors besides those on the list.

Chiquita71:
You said,"Three molesters from one hospital. Sickening.

Tragically, there are more than three molesters coming from Boston Children's Hospital.

1) Mel Levine
2) Carleton Gajdusek (Nobel Prize winner)
3) William Ayres
4) Donald Lee Rife
5)Edward Daniels

6)Also, a prominent child psychiatrist who worked at Judge Baker and Children's from 1947 to 1974. One of his victims has just come forward and most likely will be contacting a lawyer. Can't name the doctor (who is deceased) until the victim gives me the go-ahead.

This child psychiatrist was at Judge Baker with Ayres, and later with Don Rife.

I have been told by doctors who worked at Judge Baker and Children's that there were other pedophile doctors besides those on the list.

:tyou: Mercyneal

Unbelievable, yet it is what some/many/millions and millions of children(and though out historical time) have experienced from adult abusers. I am glad this particular story has been exposed thanks to the courageous men that came forward.

Thank you for this thread, information is power. :peace:

Has this been posted?

http://myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=mel_levine

"TEACHER HERO:
MEL LEVINE
by Ashley Ball

The George Lucas Educational Foundation
www.glef.org

"...Levine's theories have met with national acclaim. The New York City Board of Education recently began training the city's public school teachers with his professional development workshops, called "Schools Attuned" after the idea that schools must be better attuned to students' individual thought processes in order to help them. The course familiarizes teachers with eight brain functions and systems that directly affect students' learning, such as memory and spatial ordering, and offers suggestions for addressing problems with these functions. Oklahoma and North Carolina have state-funded initiatives that allow teachers to take the Schools Attuned courses for free, subsidizing the $1,200 fee. Community non-profit organizations, such as The Health Trust in Santa Clara County, California, are bringing the program into their local classrooms. Other schools from Rhode Island to New Mexico have also begun to use Levine's teachings...."

So while he was molesting children and destroying lives, the "great" Levine was also taking taxpayers to the cleaners. What a deal he had going.

ETA: While checking the George Lucas site, I find that it redirects to this site. I see no official statement concerning Mel Levine:

http://www.edutopia.org/

I had to wait until 4 pm to read the obit as I needed a glass of wine in hand. Lord help us all. That was the most disgusting, gratuitous, ostentatious obit I've ever read, knowing what I know. It literally shovels salt in the victims wounds and almost sneers at them. I can accept the fact that the man's passing should be noted. His accolades can even be listed. But whomever wrote this (BL, probably) seems to not have a care in the world about the hundreds or thousands of children harmed by this man. Is she a co-conspirator ("invaluable supporter and assistant in his many endeavors, often tempering Mel's unyielding intellectual curiosity with a dose of pragmatism") or living in total and oblivious denial?

He "always left his patients and their families with a sense of optimism", the "Head Pooh-bah", "boundless creativity, insight and compassion". I'm shaking my head and hoping to high heaven that the many victims have good support systems in place as they read these words. The epitome of poorest taste and judgement, given the legal actions of the last week.

Why did I waste a very nice glass of chardonnay on this? I should have had a shot of cheap whiskey.

Do we have LE confirmation that a body was actually found?

Thank-you for this post, Missizzy.

I only learned of this person today.

What I have read has filled me with disgust.

Now, after reading this revolting obituary, I am left, once again, to wonder exactly what type of world do we live in, where this type of thing goes on, and on, and on?

It makes me so sad, and so angry. :(

The Boston Globe reports that Levine shot himself with a shotgun with a bullet to the head. And in this story, many victims break their anonymity and give shocking details of the abuse- including one firefighter who recounts that Levine took him to bed when he was ten years old.
"Pediatrician's Suicide Soothes No Wounds"

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...diatricians_suicide_soothes_no_wounds/?page=1

OMG.

How many victims' stories are out there?

This makes my heart break, just reading this article.

Why????

Wondergirl, we're not sure but there are many......

You might want to check out the forums on this site for more info:

http://www.malesurvivor.org/

You'll find that many of his supporters refuse to believe the words of the victims. IMO, that is unconscionable. The path to healing if a rough road. Most who choose to speak out have endured years of pain and heartbreak.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nursestump
Back