NC - Shaniya Davis, 5, Allegedly sold by mother 11/10/09 #28

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all I pray for also. And the same for Shaniya's new sibling. I didn't mean to say I wanted to know where they were- just that my heart wants to know they are safe. That's all.

Oh Oriah, I knew exactly what you meant.

I was just trying to make a point <modsnip> that every thing we don't know about this case does NOT mean it is a "hushed case". You never said it was hushed.

Oh Oriah, I knew exactly what you meant.

I was just trying to make a point (same point for a while now) that every thing we don't know about this case does NOT mean it is a "hushed case". You never said it was hushed.

Yes....AD and MAM and their status is not hushed 'round these parts, but I am glad the status of these two little ones is.

Hopefully they will grow up not knowing all of the evils of this world.
I bet if Shaniya could speak, she'd agree with that!

She has not been convicted of selling her child yet.

I was just curious about the law and how it pertained to custody of children born to mothers who have/had illegal substances in their system, as well as mothers awaiting trial for charges that pertain to child endangerment.

I think that releasing any info at all about a child being born in this situation would violate HIPPA as well as the NC state code.

JMO.
Not convicted YET is no reason for her to be allowed to have a child when we know what happened to Shaniya and we know that child services took the son. THAT IS ENOUGH to know that a child is not safe with her.
NOBODY is asking for a photo of where her son is...A statement that he is well and in good hands REGULAR UPDATE like that is what I consider DUE....Other wise who knows if he is safe? Who knows if she did not get him back because that way the state does not have to pay for his upkeep to a foster parent.
SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN IN HER CUSTODY. Not convicted YET is no good enough.

I CONTINUE TO SAY THE HUSHED CASE !!!!!!!
where postponements are the order of the day, and when that continues as it has,
it is always a case that is not going to get justice. That is right when a case is prolonged, delayed, extended, whatever....it is often the case that forgets the details because it happened long ago. ;)
OK they cant forget the elevator photo and MAM is going away for who knows how long? ;) he got out before long before he should have. BUT monster Mom is going to slide, whatever time she gets will not be enough time. SHE IS GOING TO SLIDE!!!! Grrrrrr. time out for good behaviour or some such BS.
WATCH and see......oh and they may not report that, it will be on the hush!

I don't think anyone in here is saying she should have children in her custody.

I think the mistake happened when the judge did not set her bail high enough to keep her in there. That being said, you can not strip someone's rights before they are convicted of a crime.

I also agree CPS should have (if they didn't) take that baby as soon as AD gave birth. But, we don't know what happened, so hard to post about it.

I just don't think that because we don't know where the baby or the 8 year old child is means it is hushed. They are minors. I believe that those children are being monitored very close because CPS dropped the ball before Shaniya was sold/raped/killed/dumped. They are being investigated for that. I don't see it happening again in the same case/family.

JMO

SAYING that she does not have any children in her custody would not be against any laws at all.
Saying that the Children are in good care would not be against any law at all.
I am about protecting the innocent not about making their lives bad in anyway.

IF SHE HAS ANY OF HER CHILDREN - and since it is hushed; nobody knows the difference and she
may have potential victims in her possession.
It may be a little late to find out after they may be harmed.

HUGE difference between looking out for their best interest and pretending they are OK.
I do not know that they are OK nor does anyone else.

I'm sure the state of NC knows.

I don't KNOW if any children of felons are safe. I pray they are. But I don't KNOW.

I’ve decided to go back to thread one and recap what we learned as this case unfolded. I’m trying to stick with facts as reported by LE and media. I found this difficult to type because I know a lot of the initial info was incorrect due to lies by AD and the way info is found out in the normal course of an investigation. This is a lot more involved/time consuming than I thought, so I guess what I’ll do is break the post down by day, starting with day 1. The “link” for this day is Thread 1:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91371"]NC- Amber Alert issued Shaniya Davis, 5, missing from her home 11/10/09 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

11/10/2010

Cumberland County, NC
Police responded to 1116-A Sleepy Hollow Dr., Fayetteville, NC (Sleepy Hollow Mobil Home Park) due to a report of a missing child Shaniya Nicole Davis around 6:50 am.
Antoinette Davis (Shaniya’s Mother) told police she last saw Shaniya at 5:30 am when she put her on the couch. She first noticed her missing around 7:00 am.
She is about 3 ft tall and weighs 40 pounds. She has a scar on her left foot. She has Brown eyes and long dark curly hair.
Amber Alert Issued just before noon.
Shaniya was last seen wearing Blue Sleep Shirt and Pink Underwear. No shoes.
Police K-9’s, Fire Officials and Deputies with Cumberland County are searching the area. They are also checking all vehicles that are leaving the area.

Police believe Shaniya did not leave “on her own two feet”. The dogs did not pick up her scent outside of the residence.

Reports are that Shaniya was at the home with her mother, one other adult, and a 7 year old child.
Other reports from the same day say 2 other children and an unidentified person where in the home at the time of the disappearance.
Later in the day, reports stated the unidentified person was male, assumed to be AD’s boyfriend.

About 30-40 emergency personnel are searching nearby woods, but K-9 units did not locate a scent.

Fayetteville PD confirm 3 sex offenders live in the trailer park.

Shaniya’s parents are not living together and at this time, authorities have been unable to locate Shaniya’s father.

Video footage shows a dog sniffing garbage cans.

News reports at around 2:00 pm on 11/10/2009 – the sex offenders have been cleared.

BL (Shaniya’s father) flies in on the afternoon of 11/10/2009 to assist with the investigation.

FBI and U.S. Marshals have joined the search. Authorities have found no evidence of foul play.

Expected heavy rain may delay search efforts by several state and local departments involved in the case.

From Nancy Grace show on 11/10/2009:
Reporter says both adults that were in the home at the time are currently at headquarters being questioned.
Confirms dogs did not pick up scent.
Search called off for now.
Repeating DSS / household drug problem.
Says Child services called in a lot and on a severe case, but won’t say when or what.
Police have questioned all neighbors and SOs in the immediate area.

A report by www.wral.com says now the Cumberland County authorities say foul play is suspected.

The family was not allowed inside the home Tuesday evening after is was deemed a health hazard due to extensive sewage leaks.

Comments made during the day (various times) by the spokeswoman for PD
Chance:
The family has a history with the Department of Social Services
“There have been major DSS issues with this family – who has custody, switching back and forth “
At the time, Chance said it was unknown whether Shaniya’s disappearance is domestic related.
Chance said police have been called to the home before. This summer, officers served a search warrant at the home and found a variety of drugs inside.
Chance said if Shaniya was wandering around outside, the dogs would have picked up her scent immediately. Sex offenders are not considered suspects.
“We are searching for her and hoping to find her alive, but we just don’t know at this point.”

Working on day 2 (11/11/2009) now.

ETA: I know all this info is in the threads here at WS, I just thought it would be easier to read through without all the comments.

Thread 1 Link [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91371"]NC- Amber Alert issued Shaniya Davis, 5, missing from her home 11/10/09 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
Thread 2 Link [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91451"]NC- Amber Alert issued Shaniya Davis, 5, missing from her home 11/10/09 #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

11/11/2010Links are Thread 1 and Thread 2

Article from abclocal mentions the police are not buying AD’s story.

Morning reports: Still no sign of Shaniya Nicole Davis.

News14 posts an article: Statement from Chance:
“During the night, there was something that went wrong. We hope she’s still alive. That’s our best hope. Of course that’s what we’re searching for. We’re searching for her and hope to find her alive. But we just don’t know at this point.”

Reports are PD questioned AD all day 11/10/2009 and throughout the evening.

Weather continues to be really bad in the area. A lot of rain and heavy wind gusts. But, despite the weather, authorities say search efforts will continue in the area.

Police are still talking to Shaniya’s parents and say at this point everyone is a suspect.

“Police served a warrant at the residence and searched the house for clues as well.” Chance said.
“Shaniya’s mother and the 7-year old child spent most of Tuesday at the police station being interviewed by investigators”.

No new developments were reported overnight.

www.wral.com reports Shaniya’s blanket is found in a neighbor’s trash can. The neighbor says she has no idea how the blanket ended up in her trash can.
Moore said she was awakened by noises outside her home at about 3:00 am Tuesday.
“It sounded like somebody was beating”, she said.
She went back to sleep but was awakened later by police saying they were confiscating her trash can because it contained evidence in the disappearance of her young neighbor.
Moore says police told her it was covered in feces and that feces were also found on the back porch of the Davis’ home.

Sluethers are looking in AD’s criminal past. Only an arrest from 2007 coming up. No drug arrests despite drugs being found in the home previously.

AD’s sister rents to mobile home.
4 surveillance cameras in the MH park.

HLN reporter spoke to manager of MH park. AD had put in an application to rent but was denied. AD’s sister also put in an application and moved in. Then AD moved in. Manager says AD, aunt, aunt’s son, and infant in the house.
Manager says the adults from the home appear on surveillance video coming out of the house and looking around. No more details provided other than LE has the videos at this time.
Police are looking at surveillance footage of anyone who left the Sleepy Hollow MH Park early Tuesday.
She has 1 month of video.

HLN reporter talked to LE regarding drug raid last summer. Some questions now as to what house was involved since they just moved into this MH in August.

Reports are that LE has taken AD, her sister, and AD’s boyfriend in for questioning.

NG show recap
Neighbor, A. Moore by phone:
Says feces was smeared all over the porch and railing of Davis home.
Says blanket had feces and urine on it. It was also on the couch.
Moore lives across the street from Davis’ home.
The blanket was found in her trash Tuesday morning.

Also from NG show:
Mother is not called a suspect at this time.
Caller asked if AD took Lie Detector Test, nothing has been said about that by LE.
Klaas says mother’s story is a crappy story.
NG says 6 people in the home: Mother, Mother’s boyfriend, older brother, infant, Mother’s sister and Shaniya.
12’ x 40’ trailer.
Don’t think she walked out, neighbors feel the same.

I'm not trying to prove it is or is not a hushed case. I just have always wanted to go back and read from the opening post to remind me of things I may have forgotten.
I'm not doing this to make a point, it's just something I've always thought about doing.

While I do it, I thought it would be nice to post facts for everyone so they don't have to weed through comments and opinions.

I have the first 6 threads printed and I intend on recapping them this weekend if I have time.

It's all about Shaniya. To me, it's not about politics, making a point, or "being right". It's about remembering a beautiful little girl and praying for justice.

JMO

I'm not trying to prove it is or is not a hushed case. I just have always wanted to go back and read from the opening post to remind me of things I may have forgotten.
I'm not doing this to make a point, it's just something I've always thought about doing.

While I do it, I thought it would be nice to post facts for everyone so they don't have to weed through comments and opinions.

I have the first 6 threads printed and I intend on recapping them this weekend if I have time.

It's all about Shaniya. To me, it's not about politics, making a point, or "being right". It's about remembering a beautiful little girl and praying for justice.

JMO

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I have been thinking about going back to the beginning also, and of course what comes to my mind is the live video of when searchers found Shaniya.

Finding her body changed everything about this case. So much more evidence, and so many more charges (and hopefully convictions) possible because of that.

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2010/09/18/1031592?sac=Home

Published: 07:35 AM, Sun Sep 19, 2010

Cumberland DSS awaits results of investigation

Snipped:

County officials found out almost 10 months ago that Fayetteville police were unhappy with their efforts to help find the killer of Shaniya Davis.

The 5-year-old girl was abducted from a trailer park off Murchison Road last November.

She was last seen alive on hotel surveillance video in the arms of a man police later identified as Mario Andrette McNeill, who has been charged with her kidnapping, rape and murder.

The girl's mother, Antoinette Davis, is facing child abuse charges involving prostitution in the case.

The circumstances of the child's death attracted so much media notice that NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal was moved to pay for her funeral.

A month later, Grannis heard from Police Chief Tom Bergamine, who wasn't sure the Department of Social Services had turned over complete and accurate records of its contact with the girl's family.

A Davis family member said the DSS had investigated the family before the girl's murder.

At the request of Grannis, the SBI looked into the DSS's cooperation with police.

BBM
MUCH MORE AT LINK

:crazy: Cumberland DSS awaits results of investigation
>>>>>>>snip
But county officials still haven't heard the results from the man who requested the investigation, District Attorney Ed Grannis.

County officials found out almost 10 months ago that Fayetteville police were unhappy with their efforts to help find the killer of Shaniya Davis.

>>>>>>>>>Snip>>>>>>>>>>>
"As far as we know, the SBI has not been able to make an appointment with the DA," said Chet Oehme, chairman of the county's Social Services Board. "We don't know why. I know the SBI is going through a lot of turmoil right now. But we don't know why the problem."

>>>>>>>>>>snip>>>>>>>
"There was some indication that there may have been some malfeasance or some stuff going on, shredding of records," said Deyampert-McCall. "That's why we asked Ed Grannis to please share with the board the status of that, any information he could."

>>>>>>MORE AT LINK >>>>>>>>>>
a lot in the link.
http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/09/18/1031592?sac=Home

Sure would not be the first time I did not jump on any ban wagon AND was right,
I read disenchantment here in every paragraph
:croc:

WHO IS LOOKING OUT FOR JUSTICE? this could not happen if she had 1 or 2 parents looking out for her.

Well, we know ONE of her parents sold her for a drug debt and the other was in another state working. So, I guess we could say the parent that was in charge of her at the time was not looking out for her. We know that.

The SBI investigation has been going on for a while and I am very curious as to what the result will be.

And, I'd like to add, just because people don't agree, does not mean that everyone that is of a different opinion is on a band wagon.

Why is it so important to be RIGHT?????

We are all here for the same reason. Justice for Shaniya. It takes time. NO ONE knows what the outcome will be yet. We'll have to wait and see.

September 29 can't come soon enough, although I'm sure it will be a postponement or some such.

In an attempt to better understand continuances, I looked it up.

Link: http://www.answers.com/topic/continuance

continuance

Dictionary: con·tin·u·ance (k&#601;n-t&#301;n'y&#363;-&#601;ns)
n.
1.The act or fact of continuing.
2.The time during which something exists or lasts; duration.
3.A continuation or sequel.
4.Law. Postponement or adjournment to a future date.
USAGE NOTE Continuance is interchangeable with continuation in some of its senses. However, only continuance is used to refer to the duration of a state or condition, as in his continuance in office. Continuation applies especially to prolongation or resumption of action (a continuation of the meeting) or to physical extension (the continuation of the street). The continuation of a story is that part of the story following a break in its narration.

Law Encyclopedia: Continuance

The adjournment or post- ponement of an action pending in a court to a later date of the same or another session of the court, granted by a court in response to a motion made by a party to a lawsuit. The entry into the trial record of the adjournment of a case for the purpose of formally evidencing it.

Courts, by virtue of their authority to hear and determine cases, have inherent discretionary power to grant or deny continuances, subject to restrictions imposed by statute. Continuances are granted when necessary to avert a miscarriage of justice but will be denied if sought merely for the purpose of delay. Parties to an action are entitled to a speedy trial unless good cause justifies a continuance of the action.

In ruling on a motion for a continuance, a court examines all the facts and circumstances of a case &#8212; in particular, the applicant's good faith, the purpose and necessity for the postponement, the probable advantage that could result from the continuance, and the possibility of prejudice to the rights of other parties. If there are multiple defendants in a case, a continuance granted to one of them postpones the trial of the case against all of them. A continuance is usually granted if requested by a defendant, since the plaintiff should have adequately prepared his or her case before commencing the action.

A court can, sua sponte (on its own motion), order a continuance in certain instances, such as where none of the parties appears on the date of the hearing.

A continuance can occur by operation of law when a case has not been tried or otherwise disposed of during a particular term because of unanticipated problems, such as the death of the presiding judge. The case is automatically postponed until the following term.

Parties in a lawsuit file pleadings (written statements presenting each side of the case before trial to elucidate the issues to be resolved). A plaintiff whose complaint fails to state a cause of action is not entitled to a continuance to correct this failure, but a defendant can make a motion for a dismissal of the action. Nor can a defendant whose answer to the plaintiff's complaint does not allege a meritorious defense cure this deficiency by seeking a continuance, and the plaintiff might make a motion for a summary judgment in his or her favor. A continuance may be granted, however, in a case that was scheduled for trial before the issues were joined or clearly established.

After a trial has begun or while motions are made pending the decision, a court can grant a continuance provided adequate grounds exist.

The trial of a case that has been remanded (sent back) by an appellate court to a lower court for a new trial may be continued at a later date if there is not enough time to prepare for the new trial.

When the parties consent to or stipulate a postponement of a case, a court will grant a continuance only if their agreement meets its approval.

Grounds

Continuances are granted only if valid grounds exist that justify the postponement of the action. For example, a court will continue a case in which all the interested parties have not appeared in order to bring them into the action so that they may present their side of the case. If service of process has not been properly made upon a defendant, a court may grant a continuance to perfect service so that a plaintiff will not be deprived of an opportunity to have the action tried. A delay in filing pleadings, which surprises the opposing party and affects the issues in an action, ordinarily entitles the adverse party to a continuance, since that party must be given time to prepare a response before the trial in order to prevent prejudice to his or her rights. A continuance may be granted for the accidental loss or destruction of papers in an action provided they cannot be readily replaced and the applicant for the continuance was not responsible for their loss.

Lack of Preparation

Where the party making the motion is guilty of inexcusable ignorance, delay, or negligence in preparing the case, the court will deny a motion for a continuance. An applicant who can, however, demonstrate some legal or equitable reason or exercise of diligence in trying to prepare for the case may win a continuance.

Change of Counsel

Withdrawal of legal counsel or employment of new counsel immediately preceding or during a trial does not necessarily warrant a continuance of the action. For example, if it is clear that a party has changed attorneys a number of times solely as a dilatory tactic for the purpose of delay, that party will be denied a continuance. Only where the circumstances of the case demonstrate that a miscarriage of justice will ensue from a denial of a continuance will a court seriously consider postponing the action.

Pendency of Action

A continuance is granted when it is in the interests of justice to await the outcome of another proceeding affecting the same parties, or where the interests of the parties are closely related, such as in cases dealing with vicarious liability.

Illness

The illness of a party to a lawsuit justifies a continuance only if injustice would result from proceeding with the case. If an illness is feigned or alleged merely for the purpose of delay, the applicant's motion will be denied and the applicant might be held in contempt. A party who becomes ill within a reasonable time before the date of trial should notify the court and the other party of this condition. An affidavit or certificate of a physician that a party's illness precludes his or her presence at trial should be filed with the court.

The illness of the judge presiding over the trial operates as a continuance of the action.

Determination

A motion for a continuance is heard by the court which rules upon it after an evaluation of the evidence before it. If a continuance is granted, the trial court will set its duration with regard to the rights of both parties and impose any necessary restrictions. During the time of the adjournment the court may modify or revoke its order if reasonable cause is shown or if the court is satisfied that no injustice will result.

Successive continuances sought by a party are scrutinized closely by a court because there is a likelihood that they are sought for dilatory purposes. Unless the applicant clearly establishes that a postponement is essential to the integrity of the judicial process and a preservation of the rights of the parties, it will be denied. A motion based upon newly discovered evidence will be denied if the applicant could have discovered the evidence sooner by the use of reasonable efforts.

A continuance expires on the date specified in the court order. If the basis for the continuance ceases to exist prior to that date, the court may revoke its order and require that the case proceed to trial.

Waiver

A party relinquishes or waives the right to obtain a continuance if he or she (1) fails to request one; (2) proceeds with the case after the motion for a continuance has been denied without making an exception to the ruling; or (3) voluntarily discontinues the action.

***I bolded a few parts I thought were interesting***

Seems there are many reasons why there may be continuances. I wish we knew those reasons in this case. But, from what I understand, the court has to think there is good reason before granting one.

JMO

<WHO IS LOOKING OUT FOR JUSTICE?>

Well, we all are.

A little bit of info specific to NC continuances....

http://law.onecle.com/north-carolina/1a-rules-of-civil-procedure/40.html

(a) The senior resident superior court judge of any superior court district or set of districts as defined in G.S. 7A&#8209;41.1 may provide by rule for the calendaring of actions for trial in the superior court division of the various counties within his district or set of districts. Calendaring of actions for trial in the district court shall be in accordance with G.S. 7A&#8209;146. Precedence shall be given to actions entitled thereto by any statute of this State.

(b) No continuance shall be granted except upon application to the court. A continuance may be granted only for good cause shown and upon such terms and conditions as justice may require. Good cause for granting a continuance shall include those instances when a party to the proceeding, a witness, or counsel of record has an obligation of service to the State of North Carolina, including service as a member of the General Assembly or the Rules Review Commission. (1967, c. 954, s. 1; 1969, c. 895, s. 9; 1985, c. 603, s. 8; 1987 (Reg. Sess., 1988), c. 1037, s. 43; 1997&#8209;34, s. 10.)

BBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member