NC - Shaniya Davis, 5, Fayetteville, 10 Nov 2009 - Allegedly sold by mother #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rest in peace beautiful sweet Shaniya.

You deserved so much better than what this earth handed to you.

I do think the anger felt toward the father and the rather harsh judgments being made against him are an unfortunate but understandable reaction to these events.

People want to believe that their children can be safe if only they are careful enough. It is difficult for many people to accept that bad things can happen to innocent children and resist assigning blame to the child's parents. As a result, they look for reasons to find fault with the child's father because it increases their own sense of security. This could never happen to me because I would be more careful.... I would be smarter..... I would *know*. You know what? The reality is that people do the best they can when they are raising their kids, and people aren't perfect. Sometimes they make mistakes, bad judgment calls. Usually things manage to work out okay in spite of this, but sometimes the results are tragic. I don't know how many times I was allowed to wander the toy section of the Sears department store in Hollywood Mall as a young child unsupervised while my mom shopped, but I sure do remember when a young mother allowed her son Adam Walsh to do the very same thing with terrible consequences.

The father is not responsible for a crime that was committed by the child's mother and accomplices. Did he make a regrettable decision by allowing AD another opportunity to be a mother to Shaniya? Yes, and he acknowledges as much. Was the outcome forseeable? Could he reasonably predict the woman who had raised Shaniya for the first year of her life, gave her to him when she felt she was unable to care for her adequately, then pleaded for another chance to be a mom was really planning to sell her into sexual servitude? I don't think so.

Shaniya is a victim. BL and his family are also victims who are suffering terribly from a horrible loss. Stop blaming the victims of this crime and start putting the full responsibility on the perpetrators who committed these despicable acts.

IMO, this is an amazingly insightful post. Very well said. I believe people have to find a way to separate themselves and imperfect lives or imperfect decisions as parents, from the horror of situations such as this, by possibly venting on someone who was not responsible but whose actions may have set in motion a chain of events.
If BL is demonized as a parent who did not care for his child or one who thoughtlessly and/or knowingly threw her to the wolves, then he is not like us and what happened to him cannot happen to us. I understand this but I feel sorry that it is happening.

I keep thinking something happened to Shanyia in the trailer and someone went next door for help and banged on the door and nobody got up so they went to another plan which was to call MAM.

Not following you ...
like what happened and why call MAM?

I want to believe that there isn't necessarily any baiting go on. I want to hope that we are more mature than that. I tend to think a great deal of posters here (including myself) are feeling an incredible amount of frustration that we cannot post our thoughts on the matter since they differ with the opinions of others. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...it's duck season.....

As far as my thoughts on the father...unfortunately I haven't been able to find my pom poms, so haven't scheduled time to attend the pep rally.

I have from the start expressed my thoughts and feelings regardless that it may not be the same as other people.
IMHO if you do so on any day but today it would not have created such a stir. today was extra charged...This was her final goodbye.
Lets not forget that all people and faiths differ and the customs are what they are....that is really not for us to tear apart...

The case itself if you go back to the day of the 911 call and onwards you would see I have not been shy at all.
Tomorrow is another day, today is for Shaniya.
I do believe that funerals are sacred and should be held in respect. While you may not like ALL the participants most of them were mortally wounded and deserved this day of prayer.

Since Shaniya's burial, maybe LE will come out with more news tomorrow.
Tomorrow is Monday, I'm sure out of respect, LE didn't say anything in the past 2 days.
I sure hope so ~ we could use some "news" and especially more charges against AD. MOO

I keep thinking something happened to Shanyia in the trailer and someone went next door for help and banged on the door and nobody got up so they went to another plan which was to call MAM.

Interesting...I've wondered about the banging and if a clue to reconstructing that night. Any theory as to why someone needed help?

Since Shaniya's burial, maybe LE will come out with more news tomorrow.
Tomorrow is Monday, I'm sure out of respect, LE didn't say anything in the past 2 days.
Rarely is anything ever released by LE or the Media over the weekend.

Interesting...I've wondered about the banging and if a clue to reconstructing that night. Any theory as to why someone needed help?

Could Shaniya ran away from the monters involved with her soiled blanket?
Hit the trailer banging then perp put her blanket in trash, picked her up and put her in his car and left with her?
It was rainy, she was muddy and dirty, had to go clean her up for her 1 hour date at hotel...........

IMO, this is an amazingly insightful post. Very well said. I believe people have to find a way to separate themselves and imperfect lives or imperfect decisions as parents, from the horror of situations such as this, by possibly venting on someone who was not responsible but whose actions may have set in motion a chain of events.
If BL is demonized as a parent who did not care for his child or one who thoughtlessly and/or knowingly threw her to the wolves, then he is not like us and what happened to him cannot happen to us. I understand this but I feel sorry that it is happening.

Thank you for posting that. I have so much to say on that topic but just don't have the energy right now.

I believe it was posted earlier that the in-laws took him to court over the life insurance settlement he received on his wife.
My old brain could be wrong though.

That is interesting I thought it was over child support.
If he paid for the life insurance policy how can they sue him for money :waitasec:
I imagine they have no right to that....but they can get child support, when the kids were with them.

I wonder what happened about the bolo for the 60 year old guy and what that was all about.

I could have sworn this was already posted, and if not, and it violates TOS, please remove. On 11/13, the same day MAM was arrested, another man, 56 years old, was also arrested. I thought that it was common speculation that he was the insider providing tips. His last name is also McNeill. I'm looking through my browsing history as I type so I can provide something more concrete...

The best link I can recommend is: http://www.ccsonc.org/active_inmates/Inmates.aspx

Oddly enough, MAM does not appear when doing a search on the above-linked site. He did, originally. I'm still looking for where this came from, first. Again, I thought it was posted way back, with this other McNeill as the man in the BOLO, and again, remove if it's something that shouldn't be here. So much has happened over so many sites, I may be mentioning something that was already dismissed.

...(snipped)...
Oddly enough, MAM does not appear when doing a search on the above-linked site. He did, originally.
...(snipped)...

I think it's because it lists the current inmates at the jail. He has been moved to the state pen in Raleigh, IIRC.

And, welcome to Websleuths!

Well that has nothing to do why I posted anything I did. Everything I posted was based on fact and my own life experiences. I would really like to point out where I think you are wrong but I can't.

I could have sworn this was already posted, and if not, and it violates TOS, please remove. On 11/13, the same day MAM was arrested, another man, 56 years old, was also arrested. I thought that it was common speculation that he was the insider providing tips. His last name is also McNeill. I'm looking through my browsing history as I type so I can provide something more concrete...

The best link I can recommend is: http://www.ccsonc.org/active_inmates/Inmates.aspx

Oddly enough, MAM does not appear when doing a search on the above-linked site. He did, originally. I'm still looking for where this came from, first. Again, I thought it was posted way back, with this other McNeill as the man in the BOLO, and again, remove if it's something that shouldn't be here. So much has happened over so many sites, I may be mentioning something that was already dismissed.

This guy, but doubt he has anything to do with it. (but I missed that convo)
http://i49.tinypic.com/2yo8j07.jpg

MAM won't show up in Cumberland search because he's in Raleigh.

I don't understand why, if you live in a questionable neighborhood with alot of drugs and crime, that you are not alarmed and don't get up to check on the noise. My confusion lies around what exactly the "banging" sounded like....an animal getting in the trash, wind or rain, someone breaking in, someone pounding on your wall for help. Did the neighbor also hear voices outside? There has to be more info that hasn't been released. (I am not bashing the neighbor just puzzled)

And that is why I say the second part negates the first...victim, yes. Innocent victim, still up for discussion. And he didn't send her to cross the freeway, he sent her to her other parent, as had been done many times before, apparently.

Just a thought on the heels of your post NMK's. It's a distinct possibility that BL "legally" had no choice but to hand Shaniya over when AD requested it as she was the only legal parent on the birth certificate. There was no legal paperwork for BL having Shaniya in his custody. Maybe she threatened him as she did Aunt Carey. Possible she was going after child support once she got herself together enough to file the paperwork. What I don't get is why didn't BL file for "legal" custody at some point?

I don't understand why, if you live in a questionable neighborhood with alot of drugs and crime, that you are not alarmed and don't get up to check on the noise. My confusion lies around what exactly the "banging" sounded like....an animal getting in the trash, wind or rain, someone breaking in, someone pounding on your wall for help. Did the neighbor also hear voices outside? There has to be more info that hasn't been released. (I am not bashing the neighbor just puzzled)

I saw an interview of this neighbor and she said it had been determined there was no banging, it was the sound of the garbage can lid being difficult to get off, i.e., scraping noise. It might have been Shaniya herself trying to get rid of the blanket. What she was doing out at 3am is beyond me though.

I think it's because it lists the current inmates at the jail. He has been moved to the state pen in Raleigh, IIRC.

And, welcome to Websleuths!

Thanks for the welcome, and to Passionflower, too!

That makes total sense. I wondered what the deal was when he didn't show up there and on the NC site. I figured it was just because he was high-profile/high-risk.

Shaniya,
I wish I knew more about your life
instead of your tragic demise.
I know your little heart was full of love,
And I pray that you knew that warm blanket
of feeling oh-so-loved.
I hope you felt special, for just being you
because you were, and are a gift from above.

I know with your innocence,
you will forgive those who hurt you,
I hope you can forgive us our judgments
as we try to find answers.
We don't want to hurt you,
to make you suffer more...
But our hearts are breaking for you,
and so many more;
Perfect , precious children,
who should have been adored.

Fly with the angels, Shaniya,
fly high and far away,