NC vs. Raven Abaroa ~ the Trial 2

I could be crazy, but didn't he say he went back out to the car looking for a phone? I'm not sure... hope not.

He did say he went back to the car to get a phone. So that will explain away her blood in the car.
I'm behind again, this afternoon has been filled with phone calls and distractions.
Just found out my husband is 350 miles away and has my house and car keys with him. I have plans for Sunday, will spend all of tomorrow digging up the back yard looking for spare keys that I hid 100 years ago and can't remember a thing now about where they are. Lord give me strength. You guys may be following my murder trial on here in a year or so.

Haven't heard it yet, Fax, but that's been bugging me, too. The ambient conditions would make it fairly accurate seems to me.

Would anybody there have been competent or authorized to do one? Or have a thermometer to do it? EMS maybe? (Serious questions.)

Is it something that LE would/could do routinely? I can't remember such testimony in any other case I've followed...

All I remember about the TOD was that the person on the stand testifying, and I can't remember which person it was, said it's easier to determine the TOD on TV than it is in real life. Well that's not helpful. I want answers to Fax's questions. Like Fax, I need more Facts. (Did ya see what I did there? :p )

No, I think they want the dime to testify. (snark) I still don't get the relevance of the coins near the driveway. I know that one of the police dogs hit on the change, but I haven't be able to place the importance of the coins in the case.

Oh and another thing.... I'm still hung up on the Abaroa's dogs. So the dog crates where kept in the HOUSE up under the bar area in the kitchen. So where did I get that the dogs crates were in the shed? I'm so confused about the dang dogs.

Arg!

FYI, on a side note. I did some major geeky ninja moves on my computer. Defragged, cleaned registry, tweaked, optimized, changed settings I didn't even understand and got my computer to play the streams and the video's perfectly. Have had no problems since last night. That doesn't mean, however, that the audio quality is any better but I can live with that. I got so excited when it started working I sprang out of my chair and didn't realize my foot was asleep and I twisted it. Spent the whole testimony this morning at the doctor getting x-rayed and found out it's not broken. When I heard the *snap *crackle *pop I was just sure it was. Now I'm sitting at my desk with my foot elevated and covered in ice with instructions to stay the he// off of it all weekend. Only allowed to walk with crutches. I'm not coordinated enough to walk with crutches.... I'm kind of a clutz. I'm the only person I know who can hurt themselves bad enough to need x-rays while doing NOTHING AT ALL.

Getting ready to watch the blood spatter guy. I'm glad you all are here explaining stuff, it really helps.

Someone asked about a 'star' witness. My opinion is that Vanessa will be that witness. They had better be planning to put her on the stand. I am very interested in hearing about her time with Raven.

Re: Raven testifying. That would be awesome. The man can't open his mouth without lying and he loves the sound of his own voice. He appears to think that the longer he talks the more people believe his BS. (My opinion only) I keep thinking about Jodi A. "no court in the world would convict me" Ok, Jodi, whatever you say dear. (I didn't follow JA's case, but I have been peeking at the video's of her trial while I couldn't watch this trial. She's a real piece of work. I'll probably end up watching her testimony while I'm in bed with my foot up over my head this weekend.) I hope Raven takes the stand and they just let him ramble to his heart's desire.... all the way to LWOP.

I'm so sorry about your foot. Thank goodness it isn't broken but I know the pain is still awful. Glad you were able to boost your computer into video mode.
About the dogs--yes, they were found in a shed in the back yard by LE. To me, that's significant. I only hope the prosecution can bring it home to the jury. It just points out that this murder was premeditated by RA and nobody else.
I'm still way behind, hope to get caught up tonight. I hope and pray before the prosecution rests next week if they stay on the projected time line that they will be able to produce something huge that will leave no doubt in anybody's mind. However, I think their suggesting to the jury that they will need to put the pieces of the puzzle together was our forewarning that there isn't going to be any one thing that is a 'gotcha' moment in this trial.

Sorry, no time to follow the trial.
Has there been any evidence presented about an unidentified 'bloody footprint', floated by the defense in the opening?

Not sure why Durham CSI did not check core body temp when they first arrived after the 911 call? Time of death would have been easy to determine within a fairly tight range.

I am not impressed, thus far, with neither the prosecution's style nor the defense's 'throw anything out there' maneuvering. Something about this whole trial is leaving me feeling like everybody on both sides is still in law school and this is just practice.

He did say he went back to the car to get a phone. So that will explain away her blood in the car.
I'm behind again, this afternoon has been filled with phone calls and distractions.
Just found out my husband is 350 miles away and has my house and car keys with him. I have plans for Sunday, will spend all of tomorrow digging up the back yard looking for spare keys that I hid 100 years ago and can't remember a thing now about where they are. Lord give me strength. You guys may be following my murder trial on here in a year or so.
Ha! Sounds like something I would do with the keys. My heart goes out to you.

I can hear the testimony in your trial now..... "Your honor and ladies and gentlemen of the jury we present to the court that the holes in the back yard were not for a body or bodies, but in reality, she was looking for her car keys." Sorry, that sounds hinky to me!! LOL!

Same article:

They also ignored other evidence, the defense says, including DNA found in a blood stain on a side door leading into the house, an unknown fingerprint in an office closet, a bloody shoeprint near Janet Abaroa's body and a coin found near a creek near the house that was never tested.

Do they SERIOUSLY want a DIME tested???? W O W

IIRC, Donna Jackson said it belonged to an EMT

ETA: Not the dime, but the bloody shoeprint!

Sorry, no time to follow the trial.
Has there been any evidence presented about an unidentified 'bloody footprint', floated by the defense in the opening?

Not sure why Durham CSI did not check core body temp when they first arrived after the 911 call? Time of death would have been easy to determine within a fairly tight range.

The bloody footprint was from an EMT.

I love that he went out to the car to get his phone, but didn't they say he realized he had Janet's food in his hoodie or something like that.

LL&S sorry to hear about your foot. I hope it heals up soon. Stay off it and keep it iced!

The dogs were always kept under the bar in crates at night time. For some reason, Raven decided that day to take the crates out into the shed, and lock them in their crates in the shed. How very very convenient.

There was testimony as to how much they were paying for their rent, all their vehicles, etc. the life insurance etc. and they were getting welfare from the church to pay the babysitter, they were receiving monthly food allotment from the church (which he handled), he needed money for his attorney on the embezzlement hearing, Janet was pregnant again (nobody will convince me that they didn't know it). Janet had a miscarriage, a tubal ligation and was just recently pregnant. She went through so much the first pregnancy and here Raven lost his job for embezzlement since then, she's pregnant, and he had only a week left because he didn't meet the quota. He was probably cheating on her again. Jennifer Walker wasn't an isolated incident. I heard her testimony was highly unbelievable and she should have been noted as a hostile witness.

He ruled what she wore, what she ate, who she talked to, what she did and he ruled how she died. Nobody but Raven had the means, the motive and the opportunity to kill Janet. He had the only thing to gain, there was no evidence of a break-in, there was only Raven. What's important is what wasn't found at the scene of the crime and that's anything that points away from Raven.

My comments in purple
LL&S sorry to hear about your foot. I hope it heals up soon. Stay off it and keep it iced! Thanks.

The dogs were always kept under the bar in crates at night time. For some reason, Raven decided that day to take the crates out into the shed, and lock them in their crates in the shed. How very very convenient. Ok, so he moved the dogs into the shed the 26th. Planning ahead then. Hmmm.

There was testimony as to how much they were paying for their rent, all their vehicles, etc. the life insurance etc. and they were getting welfare from the church to pay the babysitter, they were receiving monthly food allotment from the church (which he handled), he needed money for his attorney on the embezzlement hearing, Janet was pregnant again (nobody will convince me that they didn't know it). Janet had a miscarriage, a tubal ligation and was just recently pregnant. She went through so much the first pregnancy and here Raven lost his job for embezzlement since then, she's pregnant, and he had only a week left because he didn't meet the quota. He was probably cheating on her again. Jennifer Walker wasn't an isolated incident. I heard her testimony was highly unbelievable and she should have been noted as a hostile witness. Wish we could see that testimony.

He ruled what she wore, what she ate, who she talked to, what she did and he ruled how she died. Nobody but Raven had the means, the motive and the opportunity to kill Janet. He had the only thing to gain, there was no evidence of a break-in, there was only Raven. What's important is what wasn't found at the scene of the crime and that's anything that points away from Raven.
He checked or kept her phone from her, he wouldn't even let her attened the women's group at the church without him, he blew a fuse for not being invited to her baby shower, he forced her to have to go to a pay phone to call her friends, he opened her mail, he wouldn't let her be alone with house guests or with friends at their houses for any length of time... just a few more things to add to your list.

Can you be stalked by your own husband? I think so. I can only imagine how mentally and emotionally tortured she must have felt. One of her friends testified that Janet said, "It's easier to KEEP Raven happy than it is to MAKE Raven happy." **shudder

LL&S sorry about the foot......hopefully with ice an rest, it will be better in a few days.

As for Vanessa, the PT needs her testimony! I certainly hope she testifies. I went back and read some of WRAL"s articles and her parents should testify as well, especially her mother. She said she asked Raven point blank if he killed Janet and Raven never gave a direct answer.....just said "I loved her."
Also on Raven and Vanessa's honeymoon night, Raven told her he would never hurt her.

As for him on the stand, I honestly don't think he will testify. Not because he wouldn't want to, but because IMO DT will advise against it.
Enjoy your weekend everybody! :)

I agree Tarheel. If his DT is worth anything at all they will fight to keep him off the stand. Not that I would mind hearing him ramble on about any question asked, but I think even the DT can tell putting him on the stand would just get him convicted all that much faster.

Like an episode of L & O.... how many questions would it take until Raven completely looses his 'stuff' on the stand? I know.... wishful thinking on my part.

Happy Saturday to everyone AND HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all you mothers out there!!

I hate not knowing the background of this trial. Do you know at what point Raven decided he went to the car for the phone? Was that part of his first story to LE, or did that story come up after they found the blood in the car, and he needed a reason for it being there?

The part I find odd about Janet's blood from her wound - at least one if not two peeps said she would have had to have been on her back for a long period of time for her shirt to be so saturated. According to Raven, she would only have been on her back for a matter of moments before he called LE. By that time she was already dead. She wouldn't have been actively bleeding any more.
In Raven's scenario, that he turned her over AFTER he got home, as opposed to BEFORE he left for soccer - I believe this contradicts the state's theory that she was on her back for a long period of time.

LL&S and NCEast - LOL you two. I can relate to both stories unfortunately. haha
Take of care of your foot LL&S, and MCEast - I have copies of my house keys hidden in places NO ONE, including me could ever find them.
What a hoot you guys!

Wishing mothers all over a blessed and joyous day on Sunday.

BBM
I hate not knowing the background of this trial. Do you know at what point Raven decided he went to the car for the phone? Was that part of his first story to LE, or did that story come up after they found the blood in the car, and he needed a reason for it being there?

The part I find odd about Janet's blood from her wound - at least one if not two peeps said she would have had to have been on her back for a long period of time for her shirt to be so saturated. According to Raven, she would only have been on her back for a matter of moments before he called LE. By that time she was already dead. She wouldn't have been actively bleeding any more.
In Raven's scenario, that he turned her over AFTER he got home, as opposed to BEFORE he left for soccer - I believe this contradicts the state's theory that she was on her back for a long period of time.

JJ.... as you know by my whining and complaining my ability to watch the trial was very compromised the first week and in to the second week. Knock on wood, I think I have my own computer issues taken care of at this point. Which person/expert testified the above bolded part? I would like to go back and watch that testimony again.

It is my understanding that Janet was on her knees bent over with her head on/or near the ground, which would cause her to bleed down over her neck and face. Then Raven turned her over on to her back when he 'found' her. I'm pretty sure I heard testimony that had she been on her back for a long time that the blood would have, due to gravity, settled more in her back and this was not the case. Also, had she been on her back while she was bleeding freely, how did the blood run up over her face? It had to happen if she was on her knees and bent over forward for the blood to run up her neck and over her face.

Can anyone come set us straight on this issue? Being that I'm kind of gimpy still, stupid foot is better though, I may end up locked in my room this afternoon, when it's suppose to be near 100* ouside, rewatching testimony. I was so frustrated with the live feed and my own computer issues that I probably missed a lot of details. There's no 'probably' about it, I know I missed a hell of a lot.

It is my understanding that Janet was on her knees bent over with her head on/or near the ground, which would cause her to bleed down over her neck and face. Then Raven turned her over on to her back when he 'found' her. I'm pretty sure I heard testimony that had she been on her back for a long time that the blood would have, due to gravity, settled more in her back and this was not the case. Also, had she been on her back while she was bleeding freely, how did the blood run up over her face? It had to happen if she was on her knees and bent over forward for the blood to run up her neck and over her face.

The wound to her neck area was fatal. That is where the concentration of blood was. There was something like two liters of blood in her chest cavity, I believe was the testimony. The ME said she would have died very quickly and that was fatal. I believe in theory from the trajectory she was turned over immediately and I believe the wound to the stomach/chest area was an afterthought. If you look at the ME report and you look at the trajectory of that wound it looks like it goes straight in, whereas the wound to her neck went in at an angle. The ME testified that there is another wound near her neck that may or not be an exit wound or a pin point wound or something like that. I am still not through all the wral episodes and there are many that seem to be missing.

The wound to the neck expelled most of the blood and she would have bled quickly and profusely imo. She was then turned over and maybe she was stabbed again. Maybe the stomach/chest wound came first and the neck/chest was second, but that doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm not a forensic expert or a medical examiner but it still wouldn't make sense.

This is the way i took the testimony that I have heard so far.

I believe she was turned and he made sure she was dead before he went to soccer. This has been my theory for the last 8 years is that he left that baby in the crib and played soccer while she laid there dead. Seems that theory is still a good working theory and it makes me ill.

I recall an NC Wanted piece about time of death and the timing pointing to Raven.
Anyone else remember? I have searched NCW and can't locate the piece.
Was I dreaming?

I recall an NC Wanted piece about time of death and the timing pointing to Raven.
Anyone else remember? I have searched NCW and can't locate the piece.
Was I dreaming?

This what you're looking for? According to trial testimony by Dr. Thomas Clark this table is inaccurate.

RavenTimelineWebFeature-510x191.jpg

RavenTimelineWebFeature-510x191.jpg.html

This what you're looking for? According to trial testimony by Dr. Thomas Clark this table is inaccurate.

RavenTimelineWebFeature-510x191.jpg

RavenTimelineWebFeature-510x191.jpg.html

oh i hate that picture lol. Narcicisstic sociopathic eyes and smile....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

That timeline would be totally inaccurate by NC Wanted. Home teacher left at 7:00pm it takes 25-35 minutes to go to Morrisville, depending on time of day, speed etc. He claims he left 8:00 - 8:30.

Testimony stated he was NOT there for warm up so he did arrive late as the game starts at exactly 9:00pm

He had from 7:00 to 8:30 to kill her, clean up, dispose of the laptop, the knife, the clothes he was wearing and get to the game on time. The neck wound was fatal, and she would have died shortly after that, so what two minutes. How long does it take to throw your laptop, murder weapon clothes etc. into some receptacle, be it bag, box, etc. and get dressed and go drop it off and go play a game?

There are how many ponds and lakes from Durham to Morrissville? Hamilton Road to 40 to Aviation Aviation Parkway there are several ponds and a few lakes including Lake Johnson Park, Parkers Pond, Lake Raleigh, Reedy Creek, Crabtree Creek, Briar Creek etc. and a ton of unnamed ponds and creeks. Google Map it and you will see these are each just a few minutes off 40. It would have taken no time to drop off the clothes, laptop and knife, get to soccer, play the game, stop at a gas station for your gatorade and then come home and attempt to do the best acting job ever!

There was testimony that she was already dead and in a state of rigomortis that would lend to the fact that she was not murdered minutes before or after he came home.

He left that baby in the crib while Janet laid dead in the room. He knew Kaiden was safe asleep in his crib, imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back