NC NC - Waynesville, I-40 Exit 7, WhtMale 25-40, UP6291, malnourished, scars, clothes, May'04

Two ruleouts on the Namus page:

Kevin Kulek 1959 Michigan
Gordon Page 1963 Michigan

I don't see anything new in his information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that DoeNetwork says "no scars, marks, or tattoos" since his profile (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)) lists the following: 2.3 cm white-tan, well-healed, non-surgical scar on the right superior forehead at the hairline; a 0.5 x 0.2 cm, white-tan, well-healed, non-surgical scar on the anterior, superior right thigh; a 1.0 x 0.9 cm, white-tan, non-surgical scar over the left anterior aspect of the iliac crest; a 3.5 cm white-tan, non-surgical scar over the dorsal aspect of the right forearm; and a 1.2 x 0.6 cm, white-tan, non-surgical scar on the anterior right shin.

<MOD NOTE: Original link broken; edited to include current link as of October 8, 2022>

I came across this profile recently and it reminded me a bit of this UID.

Daniel Lee Holling

News article on his story and his parents' search for him: Daniel Holling: Still missing.

What caught my eye:
- I don't now if it's on purpose or just artistic shading, but the UID's sketch seems to have his nose deviating slightly to the right. In Daniel's headshot, his nose also seems to deviate to the right.
- The facial hair isn't too out of the question, although the UID's head hair was cut much shorter.
- Hair color and eye color match, height is within an inch, and if Daniel went from 175 lbs. to 123 lbs., he'd be pretty gaunt like the UID.
- Daniel was 36 when he disappeared a year before the UID was found. The UID is estimated to be between 25 to 40 years old.
- One of the photos shows him with a fairly tanned complexion and the UID is described as having a "dark complexion."
- Per the article, it sounds like he was suffering from some inner demons with flashbacks, depression, alcohol abuse, suicide attempts, possible drug use, and possible PTSD from an accident that killed his pregnant wife.
- Dentals are available for both.

What makes this a stretch:
- Daniel is missing from Virginia, MN while the UID was found in Harmon Den, NC. That's a far distance.
- Daniel disappeared February 14, 2003 while the UID was discovered May 28, 2004. That's a long time.
- The news article makes it sound as if the parents strongly believe foul play occurred.
- Daniel walks with a limp and has a pierced nipple, neither of which are mentioned with the UID.
- The many scars for both don't seem to align. Daniel's: "Scars above both eyes, scar under chin, scar under left eye, surgical scar on right ring finger, surgical scar on bridge of nose, surgical scars on left foot, dark circles under eyes." UID's: 2.3 cm white-tan, well-healed, non-surgical scar on the right superior forehead at the hairline; a 0.5 x 0.2 cm, white-tan, well-healed, non-surgical scar on the anterior, superior right thigh; a 1.0 x 0.9 cm, white-tan, non-surgical scar over the left anterior aspect of the iliac crest; a 3.5 cm white-tan, non-surgical scar over the dorsal aspect of the right forearm; and a 1.2 x 0.6 cm, white-tan, non-surgical scar on the anterior right shin."

daniel_lee_holling_1.jpg

<MOD NOTE: Original link broken; edited to include current link and images as of October 8, 2022>

It sure looks possible. The scar mismatch gives me pause and I think they would have noticed the foot surgery -- but maybe not.

Thanks for the feedback. I emailed the case contact listed at the North Carolina Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to see if the two profiles have ever been compared.

No, but the UID has Daniel Holling as a rule-out, just first name misspelled in the Exclusions list. The UID's NamUs profile was last updated towards the end of September 2015, so roughly a month after I reached out to the case contact on the comparison.
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
Danile Holling 1966 Minnesota
Clifton Leonard 1967 Florida
Gordon Page 1963 Michigan

Who is Haywood County John Doe (2004)? (dnasolves.com)
''In May 2004, the body of an unidentified man was found in a grassy area off exit 7, eastbound I-40 in Haywood County, North Carolina.

The unidentified man was described as caucasian, with black hair, brown eyes, and a mustache and goatee. He stood at 6'1 and was 123 lbs at the time of death. He was believed to be between the ages of 25-40 years old at the time of death.

The cause of death is not confirmed. However, during the autopsy the unidentified man was found to have several injuries that were consistent with being hit by a motor vehicle. The estimated time of death was within 24-hours of his discovery and so initially, it was hoped that someone would recognize him. An artist rendering has been released but so far, no one has come forward with information that can identify who the man is.''

Exclusions:
MP328
Daniel Holling
02/14/2003
St. Louis MN
MP5655
Clifton Leonard
08/22/1983
Polk FL
MP10627
Kevin Kulek
09/16/2001
Bay MI
MP10627
Gordon Page, Jr.
05/26/1991
Kent MI

<modsnip: UWiki is not an approved source> I wonder if he was not wearing socks/shoes or if those were left off the list of clothing he had on.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6