NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't take this wrong or think I am attacking you- I am simply trying to educate people.. As the mother of a deaf child that is my job.

Those in the deaf community are very against being called hearing Impaired as it implies they are defective and as far as they are concerned they are just fine the way they are...

Most people don't have an opportunity to mix and get to know the deaf community so you can't be expected to know how they feel so I'm just passing that on- hope you understand and don't take offense- it is just your post was the perfect opportunity to say something.

That said I know exactly how you felt watching them and thinking of Zahra those simple little hearing aides are what first drew me to that beautiful little girl.

This is interesting. Thanks for sharing...I agree it is your "job" to teach those of us who don't know these things!

I have a question for you. If someone isn't deaf, but has a hearing deficiency (??? that's probably wrong too!!!), what term is appropriate? For example, Zahra had issues with various frequencies (if I understand correctly), but she wasn't deaf. So, how would someone refer to her condition if not saying "hearing impaired" to describe it?

I hope that made even a lick of sense. It's been a long day! :)

Please don't take this wrong or think I am attacking you- I am simply trying to educate people.. As the mother of a deaf child that is my job.

Those in the deaf community are very against being called hearing Impaired as it implies they are defective and as far as they are concerned they are just fine the way they are...

Most people don't have an opportunity to mix and get to know the deaf community so you can't be expected to know how they feel so I'm just passing that on- hope you understand and don't take offense- it is just your post was the perfect opportunity to say something.

That said I know exactly how you felt watching them and thinking of Zahra those simple little hearing aides are what first drew me to that beautiful little girl.

Just so I know, what should we say...deaf people? Or would they just prefer the term "deaf" left out altogether?

I didn't know that either. Unfortunately, I think the media is to blame here for using that word after everything it seems and making it seem politically correct. But if the people they are describing do not like that word, then, of course, people should not be using it. Thank you for letting us know that. I think it will take awhile to change the media, though...:banghead:

Yes,please fill me in.I can't hear out of my right ear. I would like to know what I should say. I always just say sorry I can't hear out of my right ear. Thanks

My stomach is sick. A precious little girl is gone. I pray she died fast and free of any pain. I pray she is happy now in the arms of our Heavenly Father.

And I pray that justice is quick and righteous.

I thought they discarded her old mattress?

I don't think the DNA would help firm up the timeline but I think they might have an idea when they dumped trash to which section of the landfill and finding the mattress in a certain section would tell them when it was brought there.

Failing that they could have taken note of the other garbage in the immediate vicinity of the mattress and been able to find some clues as to when they were dumped, like dates on packages of perishables or magazines, mail etc..

Sorry, nevermind I should have read that article myself and I would have understood what it says.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet_Foxglove
WOW!!! Shouldn't this be forwarded to the Hickory Police???"

and quoting myself *blush* "I agree. Maybe someone should contact kcsmom76. "

Ok, I don't know her but sent her a message through contact. Hopefully she gets it, although if a MOD could contact her that may be better/faster!

She may have already spoken to police way back when she took the photos, but likely before anyone knew of the significance of the mattress.

This is interesting. Thanks for sharing...I agree it is your "job" to teach those of us who don't know these things!

I have a question for you. If someone isn't deaf, but has a hearing deficiency (??? that's probably wrong too!!!), what term is appropriate? For example, Zahra had issues with various frequencies (if I understand correctly), but she wasn't deaf. So, how would someone refer to her condition if not saying "hearing impaired" to describe it?

I hope that made even a lick of sense. It's been a long day! :)

Hard of hearing is the correct and accepted term- it is just the "impaired" part they object to. (and don't even get me started on the cochlear implant debate lol) (of course Deaf is acceptable as well)

The deaf are unique in the sense that their loss of hearing effects their communication so they literally have their own distinct and separate culture and community.

They know they have a hearing loss it is just that they believe there is nothing about being deaf that needs "fixed"

Zahra would have been accepted in the deaf community without question,as one of them even though her loss wasn't profound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500