NCAA Sanctions: "DP" for Penn Football, or...?

Should the NCAA give Penn State the "death penalty"?

• Total voters
Penn State loses one sponsor, others could follow

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=5&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_SHNWU00L5_UNEWS

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — State Farm is pulling its ads from Penn State football broadcasts, while General Motors is reconsidering its sponsorship deal and Wall Street is threatening to downgrade the school's credit rating, suggesting the price of the sexual abuse scandal could go well beyond the $60million fine and other penalties imposed by the NCAA.

Bloomington, Ill.-based State Farm said it had been reviewing its connection to Penn State since the arrest of retired assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky last November. The insurance company said it will pull ads from broadcasts of Nittany Lions home games but continue to advertise during Penn State's away contests.

"We will not directly support Penn State football this year," State Farm spokesman Dave Phillips said Tuesday. "We just feel it was the best decision."..............

With Penn State's once-sterling reputation in tatters, the university could face an exodus of sponsors unwilling to have their brands linked to scandal, said Kevin Adler, founder of Chicago-based Engage Marketing Inc.

Adler said he would advise current sponsors to pull out of their deals with Penn State, adding that most contracts have morality clauses giving advertisers an out.

More at link.....

BBM for focus.

I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but the investigating officer did think there was enough evidence to charge Sandusky with a crime, and the other therapist, the one not affiliated with PSU, believed Sandusky fit the profile of a pedophile.

I don't think I've seen anyone blame PSU for 1998. It's what PSU did after that is the problem.

Maybe I can clarify with the rhetorical "you" in a theoretical scenario?

Say you have a young son that you allow to spend a lot of time with a grown man that you believe is a valuable mentor and father figure to your son.

Then you find out that authorities have investigated that man for possible sexual behavior with another young boy, even though nothing came of it and no charges were filed.

Would you continue to let your son spend time with that man unsupervised by you on the basis that since the authorities didn't press charges, everything must be A-OK?

Now take it one degree of separation. You don't find out yourself that this man has been investigated for this possible crime, but you do find out that this man's employers knew, yet did nothing to alert you or the organization through which this man met your son that this investigation had taken place.

When pressed why not, their answer is well, the authorities didn't find anything so we figured your son was still perfectly safe with him. And we didn't want to defame the man by telling anyone because after all, no charges were filed.

That's what PSU essentially did. If you think that was acceptable behavior on their part, then I do understand why you think the NCAA vacating wins back to 1998 is uncalled for.

Thanks for your input. Let me offer a scenario that I think explains my view. Suppose I am a teacher, and I am accused of child abuse. After a thorough investigation by CYS, the police, and even the District Attorney, I am told to be more aware of how my actions might appear (as when they suggested Sandusky stop showering with boys), but otherwise cleared.

How should my employer respond? If they take action to remove me, or warn parents that I have been investigated, I have a golden opportunity for lawsuits.

Again, we know that Sandusky was guilty of wrongdoing at that time, but there was no legal basis for that certainty back in 1998. If we begin taking actions against everyone who has ever been accused of wrongdoing before due process, there will be a lot of innocent people fired, defamed, etc.

Should the man in your example now expect punitive action to be taken against the Centre County District Attorney's office, the PA Dept of Welfare, the University Park Police? Because just as PSU did, they didn't take any action against him in 98, and we now know that there was reason to. Those agencies failed to protect his son, yet everyone seems to accept that, well, they just didn't have enough evidence at the time.

So they didn't have enough evidence, but Penn State should have. That is kind of why I disagree with the punishment for 1998-2000.

Worrying about Penn State's records, reputation, recruits an insult to real victims

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...caa-records-recruits-paterno-sandusky-victims

We still have a problem figuring out who the victims are at Penn State. Who to blame and who to absolve. And we still have a problem figuring out exactly where football belongs.

That remains obvious the more we obsess over Joe Paterno’s win total, the players left behind at a detonated program and the future recruits they won’t get, and the “zero” win totals of 14 years’ worth of Penn State players.................

Speaking of killing the messenger, it’s time to start pointing the finger at the real perpetrators of the past, present and future wreckage of the Penn State program. Not at the NCAA for erasing all those Paterno wins, denying future prospects scholarships and making the lives of current players so chaotic.

Point it at Paterno, Jerry Sandusky, Graham Spanier, Tim Curley, Gary Schultz, and everybody who helped enable the enablers—all the people who didn’t care about the enormous consequences of their actions.

In the positions of authority they held and willingly accepted, they were obligated to protect the rights of all the students. They chose to protect themselves instead, and couldn’t have cared less about the damage their actions would do to current students and future generations................

Thanks for your input. Let me offer a scenario that I think explains my view. Suppose I am a teacher, and I am accused of child abuse. After a thorough investigation by CYS, the police, and even the District Attorney, I am told to be more aware of how my actions might appear (as when they suggested Sandusky stop showering with boys), but otherwise cleared.

How should my employer respond? If they take action to remove me, or warn parents that I have been investigated, I have a golden opportunity for lawsuits.

Again, we know that Sandusky was guilty of wrongdoing at that time, but there was no legal basis for that certainty back in 1998. If we begin taking actions against everyone who has ever been accused of wrongdoing before due process, there will be a lot of innocent people fired, defamed, etc.

Should the man in your example now expect punitive action to be taken against the Centre County District Attorney's office, the PA Dept of Welfare, the University Park Police? Because just as PSU did, they didn't take any action against him in 98, and we now know that there was reason to. Those agencies failed to protect his son, yet everyone seems to accept that, well, they just didn't have enough evidence at the time.

So they didn't have enough evidence, but Penn State should have. That is kind of why I disagree with the punishment for 1998-2000.

It's not completely a legal matter...it's also a moral and ethical matter.

Yes, Penn State and Paterno in particular should have taken action in 1998 since he was Sandusky's direct supervisor, by forbidding him to bring any more children into the football facilities.

Even though charges were not made by the other agencies, with the knowledge he had about what JS had done with the boys, and the fact JS admitted that it was wrong and promised not to do it again, it was Paterno's responsibility to make sure JS kept his word, to protect additional children and the university's reputation in the workplace and during work-related activities.

The big mystery is why these BMOC were so scared or reluctant to face JS and penalize him for the problems he had caused at his workplace. They instead ended up rewarding him?? Something is not right about that, IMO...

This column covers something I was thinking about earlier today: Tim Curley.

The only man who can truly unravel this sordid, surreal story now has a chance to do the right thing. To give abused children and their families closure; to give his university an understanding of the power of the few; to give the Paterno family a clear vision of their once-iconic patriarch’s utter failure in the biggest moment of his life.
To tell the ugly, unmentionable truth once and for all—prison be damned.
It’s all on Tim Curley’s shoulders now.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ctions-tim-curley-joe-paterno-spanier-schultz

Good article...I hope you don't mind if I post it in the new Curley thread also, TIA....

1* How should my employer respond? 2** If they take action to remove me, or warn parents that I have been investigated, I have a golden opportunity for lawsuits.

3***So they didn't have enough evidence, but Penn State should have. That is kind of why I disagree with the punishment for 1998-2000.

BBM and numbered for easy reference LOL

1* At minimum. Make darned sure you never shower with kids again using the school's facilities. Period.

2** You're right, your employer removing you when you have not been charged with a crime provides lawsuit opportunity. At the same time, however, although I am not a lawyer I believe there is a legal concept that "the truth is a defense." So I think your employer would be well within their rights to inform parents that you were investigated for this and no charges were filed (which is, by the way, not the same thing as being cleared). That is the truth, and therefore protection against any lawsuits you might choose to levy against them.

Also from your employer's standpoint, it is far more prudent to try to avoid lawsuits from parents for not having informed them, should you go on to molest one or more of their children, than to try to avoid a lawsuit from you for having informed them. As I expect PSU will find out.

3** PSU may not have had enough evidence to take action against JS, but at the very least, as the Freeh report concluded, they could have alerted PSU staff to keep an eye out when he brought young boys onto the campus, just in case. "Probably nothing, but still...just keep an eye out." Just as, I'm positive, your theoretical employer would have alerted your coworkers to do as well in the absence of legal grounds to sack you.

Thank you for the civilized dialogue. :seeya:

A bit O/T but I read somewhere that PSU's last win, because all the others since then have been vacated, was led by Mike McQueary at quarterback.

Now that's what you'd call ironic. [/Pirates of the Caribbean]

It's not completely a legal matter...it's also a moral and ethical matter.

Yes, Penn State and Paterno in particular should have taken action in 1998 since he was Sandusky's direct supervisor, by forbidding him to bring any more children into the football facilities.

Well, I'm going to try to put this in context.

In 1998, everyone at Penn State knew who the DA was. They also "knew," looking at his record, that he prosecuted weak cases, even to the point of having a judge toss the charges at the preliminary hearing. I can easily understand anyone at Penn State in 1998 thinking: Ray Gricar is a tough prosecutor who'll prosecute at the drop of a hat. If there was anything criminal, he'd prosecute it. There must not be anything wrong.

I can understand anyone at Penn State thinking: DPW is a big, nonpartisan, agency, filled with experts. If they didn't think there was any abuse, there wasn't any.

If you look at the internal emails and the police report, everyone thought DPW brought in a psychologist. They also probably didn't know about the Chambers' report. I can understand anyone at Penn State thinking: DPW brought in a psychologist, who must know what he's doing. He didn't find anything. Ole Jer must be fine.

We know today that Gricar's decision was so bad that there is a call for it to be investigated by a special prosecutor. Lauro's investigation was worse than Gricar's. Seasock was not a licensed psychologist at the time, and did not have a doctorate. The gang of four didn't know these things.

The big mystery is why these BMOC were so scared or reluctant to face JS and penalize him for the problems he had caused at his workplace. They instead ended up rewarding him?? Something is not right about that, IMO...

Why didn't they report the 2001 incident?

From this link I posted earlier, the NCAA's reason for their decision:

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=19014736&ps=1013&cat=&cps=0&lang=en&page=1

By throwing out all Penn State victories from 1998 to 2011, the NCAA stripped Paterno of the top spot in the record book. The governing body went all the way back to 1998 because, according to the investigative report, that is the year Paterno and other Penn State officials first learned of an allegation against Sandusky.

Well, I'm going to try to put this in context.

In 1998, everyone at Penn State knew who the DA was. They also "knew," looking at his record, that he prosecuted weak cases, even to the point of having a judge toss the charges at the preliminary hearing. I can easily understand anyone at Penn State in 1998 thinking: Ray Gricar is a tough prosecutor who'll prosecute at the drop of a hat. If there was anything criminal, he'd prosecute it. There must not be anything wrong.

I can understand anyone at Penn State thinking: DPW is a big, nonpartisan, agency, filled with experts. If they didn't think there was any abuse, there wasn't any.

If you look at the internal emails and the police report, everyone thought DPW brought in a psychologist. They also probably didn't know about the Chambers' report. I can understand anyone at Penn State thinking: DPW brought in a psychologist, who must know what he's doing. He didn't find anything. Ole Jer must be fine.

We know today that Gricar's decision was so bad that there is a call for it to be investigated by a special prosecutor. Lauro's investigation was worse than Gricar's. Seasock was not a licensed psychologist at the time, and did not have a doctorate. The gang of four didn't know these things.

Why didn't they report the 2001 incident?

All true points, J. J. but still concerned with the legal issues involved and the big 4 seeking cover from the other agencies, in spite of what they themselves knew, and not taking the moral and ethical steps available to protect other children, themselves and the school.

I still say that as his direct supervisor, with the findings from the other agencies, Paterno knew or could have known if he wanted:

JS had showered with 2 unrelated boys after hours when no one else was present...

JS had insisted the boys shower next to him instead of their own shower.....

JS had soaped the boys himself and made a comment about squeezing their guts out...

JS had picked the boys up to hold under the shower in close contact with his body...

JS had made the boys very uncomfortable with his actions....

The parent of the one boy made a police complaint and wanted charges to be filed....

JS told this parent he knew it was wrong and promised to never do it again...

The investigator wanted to make a charge....

JS told the investigator and DPW worker he would not do this again...

All highly inappropriate actions with an unrelated minor child that took place in his workplace.

Therefore, as his direct supervisor Paterno had the right and obligation to his own employer to set rules for JS so such a situation would not reoccur and put the school in danger of more complaints, charges or suits by parents...
Paterno did not need a legal backup from any of those other agencies to require this of JS..all he needed was the power and responsibility he had as a supervisor and a care for children not to be treated inappropriately or even be abused in the workplace.

2001? Freeh found it was to protect the football program from bad publicity...I also personally think it was because they knew it would tie back to 1998 and THEY would look bad for not preventing JS from bringing children to the school and functions and trips for all those years in between, which is how it has turned out..

Interesting fallout WRT current/future PSU players:

From link:

It was an unprecedented step that has set off a flurry of activity among coaches from other teams, who are calling Penn State players and recruits, and those close to them, to gauge their interest in transferring or rescinding their commitments to the Nittany Lions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/s...nn-state-players-and-recruits-rush-is-on.html

JS told this parent he knew it was wrong and promised to never do it again...

You forgot to mention too (no criticism intended), that he also told the parent he wished he could be forgiven but knew it wouldn't be coming from that quarter, and that he wished he was dead.

2001? Freeh found it was to protect the football program from bad publicity...I also personally think it was because they knew it would tie back to 1998 and THEY would look bad for not preventing JS from bringing children to the school and functions and trips for all those years in between, which is how it has turned out..

BBM. Absolutely. The public at large--at least outside Happy Valley--would never buy that they had to give JS the benefit of the doubt because he hadn't been charged, instead of erring on the side of caution to protect his potential victims.

a LOT of the sports media nationally do not approve of the 2A's penalties against psu.

I have listened with dismay at the negative reaction for the last two days.

I wondered why?

then I realized: these penalties and the unusual process the 2A used to arrive at them actually threaten KING FOOTBALL in america. at least in so far as they are unprecedented. ( not to mention that psu is a major player ).

and this reality: a large portion of sports media types paychecks are attributable to the popularity of KING FOOTBALL.

Dont mess with KING FOOTBALL. Thats the reality behind the criticism, but of course they arent saying that. they dont even know.

imo.

All true points, J. J. but still concerned with the legal issues involved and the big 4 seeking cover from the other agencies, in spite of what they themselves knew, and not taking the moral and ethical steps available to protect other children, themselves and the school.

Okay, first, the Big 4 did not "seek" cover. This was reported to both DPW and the DA's Office before they knew about it.

I still say that as his direct supervisor, with the findings from the other agencies, Paterno knew or could have known if he wanted:

These were there findings that the Big 4 were faced with in 1998.

DPW had three choices for findings, founded, indicated, or unfounded. "Founded" would mean that DPW thought that Sandusky abused a child. This required a lower standard than a criminal prosecution. "Indicated" means, in effect, that maybe something happened, but they really couldn't be sure. Both of these would have landed Sandusky on a child abuse list.

DPW determined that the the charge was "unfounded," beaning that nothing happened, not even a maybe answer. This finding was reached after a "psychologist," supposedly an expert, said nothing happened.

Then we move to the DA's Office. A hard charging DA, who never cut Penn State a break, looked at the case and said, no charges. In this case, Gricar was known to the Big 4, and frankly to Schreffler, and respected.

If, not being an expert in child abuse, I was faced with that, I'd reach the conclusion that nothing happened, that whatever Sandusky did, it wasn't abuse or perversion.

[And I will concede the possibility that Gricar warned Penn State that something was wrong. Even then, he didn't further investigate, nor keep an eye on Sandusky.]

2001 is different. The Big Four wouldn't look bad if they had reported 2001 and even said, **There was this thing in 2001, though Sandusky was cleared,** and given them a copy of their files. DPW and the DA's Office would have looked bad.

a LOT of the sports media nationally do not approve of the 2A's penalties against psu.

I wondered why?

then I realized: these penalties and the unusual process the 2A used to arrive at them actually threaten KING FOOTBALL in america. at least in so far as they are unprecedented. ( not to mention that psu is a major player ).

and this reality: a large portion of sports media types paychecks are attributable to the popularity of KING FOOTBALL.

Dont mess with KING FOOTBALL. Thats the reality behind the criticism, but of course they arent saying that. they dont even know.

imo.

I've seen some commentary yesterday by more than one lawyer who now say that a majority of these penalties are (or would be) outright illegal and Penn State would of had a very strong case of fighting it in court if they had not signed the document agreeing with them. Once they signed off on the penalties they are valid whether they were initially illegal or not.

I saw another interview with one of the Penn State presidents who also said it was a take it or suffer worse since there was talk of a multiple year death penalty on the table as well. I never agreed that they should of gotten the DP. A DP not only cripples Penn State in multiple ways, it also cripples State College which I wouldn't think is fair.

I wondered why?

imo.

this morning Frank Deford was on the mike and mike show, the premire espn national sports talk show. deford is a long time sports writer and has written some of the best sports articles in the genre. He was despomdent in his criitique of KING FOOTBALL, indicating that it is out of the control of the universities who it is supposed to compliment and represent and serve. the tail wagging the dog. what was interesting was the response of M n M ; both grew noticeably reserved and extremely careful about their questions and their responses. Both M n M have spent the last two days nit picking the 2A for its unprecedented power play against KING FOOTBALL. they sat there in the exact same pose, their chins were supported by their right hands, which seemed a visual display of what they were going thru. it seemed to me they couldnt really respond to Deford the way they really wanted to, and they were stiffling their emotions.

they said goodbye to Deford and brought on the new head coach at penn state and spent the next 15 minutes feeling sorry for the innocent new coach and all the innocent new players.

all this cheered M n M up considerably and by the end of Bill Obriens interview the talk show hosts were back to normal and indicated that Obrien would be on ESPN all day, doing the national shows.

and so it goes. we are penn state.

this morning Frank Deford was on the mike and mike show, the premire espn national sports talk show. deford is a long time sports writer and has written some of the best sports articles in the genre. He was despomdent in his criitique of KING FOOTBALL, indicating that it is out of the control of the universities who it is supposed to compliment and represent and serve. the tail wagging the dog. what was interesting was the response of M n M ; both grew noticeably reserved and extremely careful about their questions and their responses. Both M n M have spent the last two days nit picking the 2A for its unprecedented power play against KING FOOTBALL. they sat there in the exact same pose, their chins were supported by their right hands, which seemed a visual display of what they were going thru. it seemed to me they couldnt really respond to Deford the way they really wanted to, and they were stiffling their emotions.

they said goodbye to Deford and brought on the new head coach at penn state and spent the next 15 minutes feeling sorry for the innocent new coach and all the innocent new players.

all this cheered M n M up considerably and by the end of Bill Obriens interview the talk show hosts were back to normal and indicated that Obrien would be on ESPN all day, doing the national shows.

and so it goes. we are penn state.

I actually agree with the penalties, but I don't think the current staff or players are guilty of anything or are responsible for anything that's happened. Do you think different?

I've seen some commentary yesterday by more than one lawyer who now say that a majority of these penalties are (or would be) outright illegal and Penn State would of had a very strong case of fighting it in court if they had not signed the document agreeing with them. Once they signed off on the penalties they are valid whether they were initially illegal or not.

I'd like to see that commentary. It appears to have followed the rules, at least at first blush.

I saw another interview with one of the Penn State presidents who also said it was a take it or suffer worse since there was talk of a multiple year death penalty on the table as well. I never agreed that they should of gotten the DP. A DP not only cripples Penn State in multiple ways, it also cripples State College which I wouldn't think is fair.

Well, it does sound like a plea bargain, but there could have been worse penalties that could have crippled Penn State Football into the mid 2020's. And yes, that probably would have severely damaged State College, Centre County, and Central Pennsylvania, abet to a lesser degree as the distances become greater.

A lot of alumni/fans attend the games as an event. It is an excuse to party. The score won't make a huge difference. Even in 2003-04, with a lackluster season, they were still doing about the same, maybe with a loss of less than a 1% drop in attendance.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_football_team"]2003 Penn State Nittany Lions football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_football_team"]2004 Penn State Nittany Lions football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_football_team"]2005 Penn State Nittany Lions football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_football_team"]2006 Penn State Nittany Lions football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

It is like the Eagles in Philadelphia. The joke is, "Autumn in Philadelphia, that nip in the air, the leaves changing color, the Eagles choking." :) The team still has a huge fan base, and is hugely popular.

Okay, first, the Big 4 did not "seek" cover. This was reported to both DPW and the DA's Office before they knew about it.

These were there findings that the Big 4 were faced with in 1998.

DPW had three choices for findings, founded, indicated, or unfounded. "Founded" would mean that DPW thought that Sandusky abused a child. This required a lower standard than a criminal prosecution. "Indicated" means, in effect, that maybe something happened, but they really couldn't be sure. Both of these would have landed Sandusky on a child abuse list.

DPW determined that the the charge was "unfounded," beaning that nothing happened, not even a maybe answer. This finding was reached after a "psychologist," supposedly an expert, said nothing happened.

Then we move to the DA's Office. A hard charging DA, who never cut Penn State a break, looked at the case and said, no charges. In this case, Gricar was known to the Big 4, and frankly to Schreffler, and respected.

If, not being an expert in child abuse, I was faced with that, I'd reach the conclusion that nothing happened, that whatever Sandusky did, it wasn't abuse or perversion.

[And I will concede the possibility that Gricar warned Penn State that something was wrong. Even then, he didn't further investigate, nor keep an eye on Sandusky.]

2001 is different. The Big Four wouldn't look bad if they had reported 2001 and even said, **There was this thing in 2001, though Sandusky was cleared,** and given them a copy of their files. DPW and the DA's Office would have looked bad.

I think at this point, J. J., we'll just have to agree to disagree. Just one more post on this subject to point out that the Freeh Report and most commentators recognize the validity of what I have posted and why the win record (the original question) was taken away from Paterno beginning in 1998 due to his lack of action to stop Sandusky after his knowledge of that report:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...senior-officials-disregarded-children-welfare

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162...-sex-abuse-scandal/?google_editors_picks=true

Sexual abuse might have been prevented if university officials had banned Sandusky from bringing children onto campus after a 1998 inquiry, the report said. Despite their knowledge of the police probe into Sandusky showering with a boy in a football locker room, Spanier, Paterno, Curley and Schultz took no action to limit his access to campus, the report said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...nsequences-penn-state-devastating-many-levels

Page after page, damning conclusion after damning conclusion, the Freeh report lays out the story of a stunning and systemic failure of leadership. The evidence contained in the report, including emails from 1998 and 2001 when Spanier, Paterno, Schultz and Curley concealed the Sandusky allegations, is devastating to the reputations and legacies of each.
"In order to avoid the consequences of bad publicity," the report states, "the most powerful leaders at the university -- Spanier, Schultz, Paterno and Curley -- repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky's child abuse."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...enabled-jerry-sandusky-lying-remaining-silent

Joe lied. It's that simple. And that heartbreaking.
Joe Paterno, who for so many decades represented all that was good and honorable in college athletics, lied. Through his teeth.
According to the 267-page Freeh report, Paterno lied -- to a grand jury, no less -- about his knowledge of a 1998 assault of a young boy (Victim 6) by longtime Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky in a football facility shower.
His lies and, worse yet, his silence from the time of that first reported assault in 1998 helped empower a sexual predator for the next 13 years. Paterno did nothing to stop Sandusky. He was, said former FBI director Louis Freeh, who wrote the report, "an integral part of this active decision to conceal."

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ll/13pennstate-document.html?ref=ncaafootball

Neither Harmon nor Schultz's emails set forth, or suggest, that they planned to discuss the [1998] incident with Sandusky, to review or monitor his use of University facilities, to discuss his role at the Second Mile and his involvement in Second Mile overnight programs operated in Penn State facilities, or to consider the propriety of a continuing connection between Penn State and the Second Mile. There also is no mention of whether Sandusky should receive counseling.l

Me: What they could have done according to Freeh:

Further, the emails do not indicate that any officials attempted to determine whether Sandusky's conduct violated existing University policy or was reportable under The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, 20 U.S.C. ? 1092(f) ("Clery Act").

The emails also do not indicate if any person responsible for Penn State's risk management examined Sandusky's conduct. A risk management review might have resulted in the University providing contractual notice to its insurers about the incident, imposition of a general ban on the presence of children in the Lasch Building, or other limitations on Sandusky's activities.m

After Curley's initial updates to Paterno, the available record is not clear as to how the conclusion of the Sandusky investigation was conveyed to Paterno. 166 Witnesses consistently told the Special Investigative Counsel that Paterno was in control of the football facilities and knew "everything that was going on." 167

As Head Coach, he had the authority to establish permissible uses of his football facilities. Nothing in the record indicates that Curley or Schultz discussed whether Paterno should restrict or terminate Sandusky's uses of the facilities or that Paterno conveyed any such expectations to Sandusky.

Nothing in the record indicates that Spanier, Schultz, Paterno or Curley spoke directly with Sandusky about the allegation, monitored his activities, contacted the Office of Human Resources for guidance, or took, or documented, any personnel actions concerning this incident in any official University file. Spanier told the Special Investigative Counsel that no effort was made to limit Sandusky's access to Penn State. 168

When Penn State officials considered meeting with Sandusky in 2001 in response to allegations that he brought children into the Lasch Building showers, Curley wrote "I would plan to tell him we are aware of the first situation. I would indicate we feel there is a problem and we want to assist the individual to get professional help." Exhibit 2-F (Control Number 00679428). m

Penn State officials were familiar with the issues of liability that could arise from Sandusky bringing minors to the Lasch Building. For example, notes maintained by Paterno reflect that Sandusky proposed several continuing connections with Penn State when he retired in 1999. Among these connections was that he would have continuing "[a]ccess to training and workout facilities." A handwritten note on this proposal reads: "Is this for personal use or 2nd Mile kids. No to 2nd Mile. Liability problems." Exhibit 2-G (Control Number JVP000027). l

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back