GUILTY ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, abducted and murdered, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 *arrest* #4

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/local/15269410.htm

FARGO, N.D. - After nearly three years of investigations, sealed documents and arguments over jury selection, the case against the man accused in the death of a University of North Dakota student is expected to be summarized in one hour.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Keith Reisenauer is scheduled to give the opening statements this morning in the trial of Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., a convicted sex offender facing a federal charge of kidnapping resulting in the death of Dru Sjodin. Rodriguez has pleaded not guilty.

lord help the family! I found websleuths because of Dru. I was on the www.finddru.com message board and someone posted about here. I came and have been ever since. I still remember the day she was found. Is there any new news on the trial today. I checked court tv and the link that was given and found nothing new. I am a nervous wreck sitting here waiting to hear how the opening went. If someone can find something please post!!!
Thanks in advance

Edited to add: I answered my own question here is an update from the grand forks newspaper.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/15271744.htm

It breaks my heart to look at Dru's picture. She was such a beautiful young woman and had so much going for her. I hope that animal gets his. :furious:

This should be an absolute slam dunk case, don't you think? I agree with you Ntegrity. Such a lovely girl Dru was, and from such a wonderful family.

Even if Dru had been common looking and fat, it wouldn't matter a bit to me. This animal deserves to die, and I hope it is the Feds prosecuting him so he will get the DP. I think it is.

Scandi

Just heard on CTV that the jury is deliberating. Looking for a link for an update.

ETA maybe CTV jumped the gun or I heard and read wrong. Dunno!

Found this:

Closing arguments this afternoon in Rodriguez trial

Both sides in the federal kidnapping-murder trial of Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. rested this morning, and prepared to deliver closing arguments this afternoon.

more at link

http://www.startribune.com/10086/story/642841.html

FARGO, N.D. (AP) -- Attorneys for the man accused of abducting college student Dru Sjodin from a shopping mall parking lot and killing her rested their case Tuesday after calling just one witness.

Closing arguments in the trial of Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. were expected Tuesday afternoon, and U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson told jurors to expect to begin deliberations later in the day.

The only defense witness was George Sensabaugh Jr., a forensic science professor from California who testified Tuesday that tests for sexual assault were not reliable.

Rodriguez, 53, a convicted sex offender from Crookston, Minn., has pleaded not guilty to a charge of kidnapping resulting in death. Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty if he is convicted.

spacer.gif
AP_Tacoda_AMS_DDC_addPair("SECTION", "NATIONAL")AP_Tacoda_AMS_DDC("http://te.ap.org/tte/blank.gif", "1.0")
blank.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Sjodin, 22, a University of North Dakota student from Pequot Lakes, Minn., was abducted at the Grand Forks shopping mall on Nov. 22, 2003. Her partially decomposed body was found the following April in a ravine near Crookston.

Under questioning by Assistant U.S. Attorney Keith Reisenauer, Sensabaugh testified that he knew few details about the Sjodin case and based his testimony on information from the autopsy and lab work.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SLAIN_STUDENT_TRIAL?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I remember this case as if it occurred yesterday. Dru was such a beautiful young woman. I just went to the Dru's Voice website and viewed all the photos....it is such a nice video vignette, but also very sad. It starts with the year 1981 across the screen (her birth year) and has photos from her being a baby, a young child, and finally a young adult. Sooooo sad. It infuriates me to read that this SOB was silently laughing in the courtroom. I wish we didn't have to waste our time on and $ by giving him a trial...I know, I know...due process and all...but still. I wish we could just put him in the chair and fry his *advertiser censored* now!!!

Her story scared me so much that a week after this happened, I went out and purchased a weapon to keep in my purse for self defense.

I often wonder how her boyfriend at the time is doing today. Wasn't she on the phone with him at the time she was abducted? He heard it happen and then the phone went dead? Didn't his phone ring a while later and it was from her phone, but it was basically just dead air? I wonder how profoundly this has affected his life. I know if I was him, I would be a very angry person. She is definately an angel in Heaven.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/15389909.htm

if you go to www.grandforks.com

they keep an update going through new steps. It does say the defense rested and they were waiting to do closing arguements before deliberations. But it doesn't say that it happened. I pray he gets what he deserves!! Maybe we will find out a verdict tomorrow. Will be hard for the jury though. They have to decide whether or not she died after she crossed state lines or not.

They've got to finish closing arguments and get the jury instructions before they begin deliberating. This could take almost a full day. I don't think we'll hear any results today.

Didn't see a thread, so I hope I put it in the right spot.

Found GUILTY today....

Pharlap said:

Found GUILTY today....
YES! YES! YES!

Finally, justice for Dru and her family.

Pharlap said:

Found GUILTY today....

HOLY COW!!! That prosecutor and judge don't mess around!! I like that!! Thanks for the info.

Finally some justice for this family and for most importantly Dru.

Apparently, the jury deliberated for less than 4 hours to come to consensus and return the guilty verdict.

I am just so thankful this guy will not ever hurt anyone again. I thought it would be a slam dunk. The thought he dumped her body in a ditch beside the road after cutting open her throat - there simply are no words to adequately describe it.

Thanks Lady Justice and everyone who worked so hard to get this done.

Scandi

Thank goodness the jury system worked again!! Finally, justice for Dru! I hope they are able to give him the death penalty. :furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back