ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one state where I lived, the registered sex offenders hadn't even been followed up by LE. It made some news coverage and things changed!

Originally posted by Toth
Even if there had been widespread notification, it would have been meaningless: it seems it was all over for Dru Sjodin and her body was disposed of within two hours and he then drove home and cleaned his car. No amount of supervision or tracking devices would really have changed what happened, it just might have made his apprehension more swift.
One man was given a cell phone by the probation authorities and an ankle bracelet with GPS capabilities. He used the cell phone to arrange a bank robbery. The call to the bank was made on his cell phone and the GPS proved he was just across from the bank when he made it. Surveillance measures did not prevent him from committing the crime, they just made it easier to convict him of it.

And no amount of bars can keep all prisoners in prison, or thieves out of banks. No amount of guns and weapons can keep us safe and protected. No amount of law enforcement or laws will make everyone law abiding........and so on and so on.......

We aren't supposed to have rules, laws, and guidelines just so we can punish but instead so we can keep one another in check and so that we understand that if someone commits an act such as these that they will get caught and they will be punished accordingly (or as the law allows)

A level three sex offender should be tracked and should have all of his freedoms stripped from him (or her) as they have undoubtedly taken someone else's from them. Pity for them? Yeah I have pity for the punk sissy's, quit hiding and lurking in the shadows come out into the light and be seen.

Originally posted by johnny
And no amount of bars can keep all prisoners in prison, or thieves out of banks. No amount of guns and weapons can keep us safe and protected. No amount of law enforcement or laws will make everyone law abiding........and so on and so on.......

We aren't supposed to have rules, laws, and guidelines just so we can punish but instead so we can keep one another in check and so that we understand that if someone commits an act such as these that they will get caught and they will be punished accordingly (or as the law allows)

A level three sex offender should be tracked and should have all of his freedoms stripped from him (or her) as they have undoubtedly taken someone else's from them. Pity for them? Yeah I have pity for the punk sissy's, quit hiding and lurking in the shadows come out into the light and be seen.

Good post! The last sentence is awesome...the devil loves the darkness and secrets can be very dark.

Originally posted by Trino
I know this board is reserved for Dru, but I just want to comment on Iowa/CLU.

Right now there is a former Iowa college wrestler who received 10 years for sexual contact. It seems he was at a party and got high/drunk. There was no penetration, only touching. There is no excuse for his behavior. But, he was found guilty, and the judge's hands were tied because Iowa law says 10 years. It was a first offense. When he comes out, he will need to register as a sex offender.

Should he be considered a sexual predator like Rodriguez? It seems like Iowa has gone overboard with some things. For example, should a sexual predator never, ever be allowed to visit his parent's home? What if his parents are disabled?

Texas has a law prohibiting sex offenders inside a school. Why would a sex offender go into a school? Has this ever happened?

Some laws make sense, but others are to be questioned.

1) Dru's story is about sexual offenders, and how she (and us) wasn't protected from then.

2) Former Iowa college wrestler should have known better than to get high and drunk and then mess with someone who didn't want his attention. First time? Maybe. Last time? Probably not if he isn't taught that he can't get away with it. Would you be so willing to forgive and forget if he got high and drunk and wiped out some innocent on the hiway? Same thing.

3) Yes, he should be. Nobody forced him to do what he did. Iowa needs to do more, just like the rest of the states. No, a sexual predator should never be allowed to visit their parent's home if it is in an are he/she is not allowed in. They can meet him elsewhere. If the parents are disabled and need a sexual offenders help to live then they can move.

4) Yippee for Texas, I guess it's true, when Texans do something they do it big! Lots of reasons an offender might go into a school, mainly that's where they can get to know their next victim. I'm sure it's happened many times.

In reference to some laws concerning sexual offenders being questionable: Let's get to the root of the problem first. If the laws that allow them to continue to be predators were changed we wouldn't need to have some of the others. Like if we kept habitual offenders locked up we wouldn't have to worry about whether they lived close to a school with easy access to children would we?

I teach high school, and because of vouchers, students come from all over the city. When I heard about Dru, I got online and showed pictures of sex offenders to my home room students, using their zip codes. In one zip code where a female student lived there were 9 level 3 sex offenders living there - most in some sort of group house. She said her parents were always getting notices, but she found it pretty meaningless to look at pictures, since they mostly look like okay guys. She said she probably wouldn't recognize them if she saw them. So, what does notification do if it's several months before a repeat offense?
Not everyone is as clueless as your female student. Most people READ the notices, and don't care if they are pretty OK looking guys.

Should he be considered a sexual predator like Rodriguez? It seems like Iowa has gone overboard with some things. For example, should a sexual predator never, ever be allowed to visit his parent's home? What if his parents are disabled?
Let's see. (Me thinking out loud) He blames what he did on being drunk/high, which he had control over. Really learned a lesson, there, did he? He says it was "only touching". Any idea how far "only touching" can go? And what each person's version of "no penetration" is? I've seen men convince themselves they never had sex with a woman, when they really did. And the woman is so embarrassed, they say nothing.

Maybe 10 years is excessive, and maybe not, but if he had never gone where he shouldn't have, it wouldn't be an issue.

BTW, what if Rodriguez had started out by getting drunk and "only touching"? What would you say then? Just a thought.

Probably ought to move this to it's own thread.

Originally posted by Ghostwheel
Let's see. (Me thinking out loud) He blames what he did on being drunk/high, which he had control over. Really learned a lesson, there, did he? He says it was "only touching". Any idea how far "only touching" can go? And what each person's version of "no penetration" is? I've seen men convince themselves they never had sex with a woman, when they really did. And the woman is so embarrassed, they say nothing.

Maybe 10 years is excessive, and maybe not, but if he had never gone where he shouldn't have, it wouldn't be an issue.

BTW, what if Rodriguez had started out by getting drunk and "only touching"? What would you say then? Just a thought.

Probably ought to move this to it's own thread.
I AGREE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members