ND ND - Gerald Clifford Bartlett, 21, Davil's Lake, 1 July 1925

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Original
Original

Missing Person / NamUs #MP24452
Gerald Clifford Bartlett
Nickname/Alias: "Cliff" or - "Dutch"

Male, White / Caucasian
Height 5' 8" - 6' 0" (68 - 72 Inches)
Weight 150 - 200 lbs

Hair Color Blond/Strawberry
Eye Color Blue

Date of Last Contact July 1, 1925
Missing From Davil's Lake, North Dakota
Missing Age 21 Years
Current Age 116 Years

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact July 1, 1925
NamUs Case Created May 2, 2014
Last Known Location Map
Location Davil's Lake, North Dakota
Ramsey County

Circumstances of Disappearance
date last seen is approx. MP last shows in Census in 1925.
Circumstance Notes
This report is an assist other agency, due to the age of this case

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I started searching him and I found this photo which is the one that the picture above was taken from
24452_133550.jpg
He had 9 brothers and sisters and his brother was born the same year as he was. I wonder if they are twins? I couldn't find birthdays. His brother was born May 13 1904. His nickname was Swede.

I wonder if anyone has considered him as being the 4th victim of the Cleveland Torso Murderer. The timeframe would work, the hair and eye color are the same, the height and weight match, and the victim is thought to be of “Scandinavian” or “slavic” descent. https:///wiki/Tattooed_Man

I wonder if anyone has considered him as being the 4th victim of the Cleveland Torso Murderer. The timeframe would work, the hair and eye color are the same, the height and weight match, and the victim is thought to be of “Scandinavian” or “slavic” descent. https:///wiki/Tattooed_Man
https:///wiki/Tattooed_Man

Interesting, so he deserted in 1920 from Texas, but did make it back to Devil's Lake, North Dakota because he appears in the 1925 census 5 years later.

This is from the Veterans affairs master index and gives his birth as 10th January 1902.
1709371724003.png

And this is from the WWI rosters of enlisted men where it confirms that he deserted on the 10th July 1920.
1709372073503.png

In the 1925 census he was back living in Devils Lake with his family.

Hmmm OK...the family tree is a little confusing. There is Gerald Clifford and also Clifford Gerald. At first I thought they were brothers but in fact, it seems that they are both the same person because the census' only report one, never both at the same time. On FamilySearch someone has written that he died at sea while in the navy, but they haven't linked a single source for this info so I would take it with a grain of salt.

His whereabouts on his family tree timeline are debated by a relative of his. DOB 17 Aug 1903 source: Bartlett Family Bible

"It appears that Gerald Clifford lied about his age to enter the military. In his military papers it says that he was born on 10 Jan 1902 (different than the family bible entry of 17 AUG 1903)."

________________________________________________________________________________

"About North Dakota, U.S., Territorial and State Censuses, 1885, 1915, 1925​

This database contains an index and images of the North Dakota conducted state censuses from 1885, 1915 and 1925. The census date for 1885 was June 1st. The census date for the 1915 and 1925 censuses was April 1st." Source: Ancestry.com

Namus Date of Last Contact: July 1, 1925

So, if the 1925 census was April 1, 1925, then he disappeared after the census.

Since he was only 16 when he joined, I wonder if the military can hold him to that July 20, 1920 desertion charge. It's obvious that he used his middle name as his first name in the 1925 census (April 1), but he also used his middle name in the Jan 9, 1920 Federal Census

Gerald's name isn't listed in his brother's Charles Leroy Bartlett 1938 Canadian obit. He also switched his first/middle names around. Charles Leroy Bartlett (1901-1938) - Find a Grave...

1920census.png

1925northdakotacensus.png

fortbliss1920.png

02.03.2024_13.30.16_REC.png

His whereabouts on his family tree timeline are debated by a relative of his. DOB 17 Aug 1903 source: Bartlett Family Bible

"It appears that Gerald Clifford lied about his age to enter the military. In his military papers it says that he was born on 10 Jan 1902 (different than the family bible entry of 17 AUG 1903)."

________________________________________________________________________________

"About North Dakota, U.S., Territorial and State Censuses, 1885, 1915, 1925​

This database contains an index and images of the North Dakota conducted state censuses from 1885, 1915 and 1925. The census date for 1885 was June 1st. The census date for the 1915 and 1925 censuses was April 1st." Source: Ancestry.com

Namus Date of Last Contact: July 1, 1925

So, if the 1925 census was April 1, 1925, then he disappeared after the census.

Since he was only 16 when he joined, I wonder if the military can hold him to that July 20, 1920 desertion charge. It's obvious that he used his middle name as his first name in the 1925 census (April 1), but he also used his middle name in the Jan 9, 1920 Federal Census

Gerald's name isn't listed in his brother's Charles Leroy Bartlett 1938 Canadian obit. He also switched his first/middle names around. Charles Leroy Bartlett (1901-1938) - Find a Grave...

View attachment 487498

View attachment 487499

View attachment 487500

View attachment 487505
I guess the army wasn't all it cracked up to be since he deserted! I notice he deserted on the same date as a Frank Mayo; I'm assuming they left together.
I doubt he could be charged with desertion since he was underage as really the recruiter should have checked more thoroughly. But that might be an explanation as to why he was using his middle name? (Does desertion have a statute of limitations btw do you know?)
I wonder why he ended up serving with a Texas regiment rather than N Dakota, was this normal?

What do you make of the comment about him being lost at sea with the navy? I find it hard to believe he would join the navy if he deserted from the army?

But apart from that, I cant really think what happened to him. Does the family have any ideas?

He went by the nickname Dutch. Possibly he started using this as his name?

I doubt he could be charged with desertion since he was underage as really the recruiter should have checked more thoroughly. But that might be an explanation as to why he was using his middle name? (Does desertion have a statute of limitations btw do you know?)

I think he's in the clear. lol

(h)Fraudulent Enlistment or Appointment.—A person charged with fraudulent enlistment or fraudulent appointment under section 904a(1) of this title (article 104a(1)) may be tried by court-martial if the sworn charges and specifications are received by an officer exercising summary court-martial jurisdiction with respect to that person, as follows:
(1)
In the case of an enlisted member, during the period of the enlistment or five years, whichever provides a longer period.

I wonder why he ended up serving with a Texas regiment rather than N Dakota, was this normal?
Unless you have a guaranteed enlistment they can put you where they need you. I had a guaranted enlistment stateside for 15 mo at a base of my choosing but then I was sent to Germany for the remainder of the 3 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back