NE NE - Jason Jolkowski -19 - Omaha - 13 Jun 2001 - #4

Taking it at face value, it's possible that JJ was just taking walks in the evening for no other reason than to get some exercise. That being said, I do agree that parents don't always know what their teen/young adult kids are doing. Going along with this - in many cases they certainly won't tell their parents what they're doing, either.

IMHO I don't see a family member as being involved in JJ's disappearance and/or being aware of what happened to him. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I don't even see this as a slight/remote possibility. To all of us who follow this case, it's evident that his family/parents were devastated & shocked by JJ's disappearance. His parents & mother especially made a great effort to find him. KM even went so far as to start "Project Jason" in 2003, which is an organization that helps with other missing persons cases; going on the MW show in 2004 to highlight the case; etc. These are definitely not the actions of a family who knows what happened to their missing son.
I dont usually speak in absolutes but as a longtime follower of this case, I too speak with certainty that family is not part of whatever foul play befell him. Also, as a 19 year old teen I took long walks too, but for no other reason than to exercise. Some of us as teens were that 'uneventful' at that age lol.

Last edited:
My sense is he wanted to walk to meet the coworker because he wanted to walk. In all it's simplicity, but for myriad possible reasons.

I'm dubious it's because of his directional skills, although I'd need to know more about his developmental issues. I think a born or at least bred? (same high school) local coworker could figure out how to pick him up directly if JJ so much as had his own address/intersection memorized. Esp if Fazoli's delivered, in which case I'd assume she had a working knowledge of the streets. All to which is a long way of saying...he could have wanted to stop somewhere, and then presumably keep going. So, where and why? And if to see someone, who?

If it was someone he really wanted (or needed) to physically see he'd go in person instead of calling, be it just to cancel plans, or otherwise. If it was someone he deemed an authority figure he was 'supposed' or 'encouraged' to see, he'd certainly stop by. In both cases, that's evidenced by the (apparently known) fact he was prepared (and seemed to want) to walk 4 miles, let alone the heat. So, I think it was for more than exercise. Sidebar, I think the nightly walks were taken in the same vein for a currently unknown purpose. Of course, maybe he was indeed just walking to smoke and then air out. As a kid, I myself went up on our roof and sat against the chimney because it was so blatantly hidden in plain sight. But if he was walking to smoke, I'm sure a co-worker could say whether he ever showed up smelling of cigarettes, and that might clear up a few things. So to speak.

Otherwise, if he had an actual destination, the waving flag for me is that he wanted to go Then (read: because he wouldn't be able to later). If just a new serious walking regime, he may have wanted to get it in time-wise. But...did he ever walk later in the day but before his usual shift? If not, that's not the reason he was walking. Meanwhile, there's an implied quasi-urgency for Then. No doubt he was conscientious, timely, respectful, a hard-worker, etc, etc. I think he also was quite sure he'd have the time for whatever stop he was making. So. Reasons to stop somewhere purposefully with an actual motive - dropping off/picking up/returning something, checking on/looking at something, hiding something, a non-phone or private communication (ie. brother not listening), ATM or pay a bill stop. If I wanted to get cloak and dagger, I'd also be interested in where the nearest USPS mailbox was. It looks like the type of area where one could be on a street corner. The clincher for all of this, is that based on what WE know, he intended to go to work and didn't think he'd be late to the school. And probably not in immediate danger.

Another scenario is he was walking, for whatever reason, and was called to a house/backyard on his route. "could you open this stuck jar lid for me, help me move the couch, connect this necklace clasp, or even an emergency, "come quick Timmy is (or isn't) in the well." Which would require justhteright timing and motive to come together and take him down. Unless he was also known to walk at that time (on a regular shift day) and this wasn't a one-time thing to be out at that time. If he occasionally put the bins away and then took a lap around the neighborhood, it's possible. Less fathomable is he took a shortcut through woods and passed a paranoid tweaker who reacted badly.

So I land back on he walked because he wanted to walk. Somewhere. To do something, or see someone. And if for a someone, that person either knows what happened, or wasn't aware something was going to happen but was there before or after. And as for a someone who knew him intimately, if a family member wasn't directly involved, but had an inkling of WHO was (including JJ himself), or WHY, it would take something significant in their mindsets/lives/beliefs to keep it under the radar but still want to find him. I think there was something brewing, and being called in early wasn't related, but either sped things up or altered a plan that was already set in motion.

I also don't think him wanting to walk excludes a car being involved. If he was picked up, it would have to be someone he knew. So it's certainly possible he left for the school while that person was en route to him and then picked him up. I don't think his cell records have been released. But I can see a scenario where he calls and says "I have to work, I'm heading out to a ride at the school now." Whether he planned to meet the driver right then or not, he's picked up for a quick meet on the way to the school, or he just gets in to enjoy the A/C, believing they're headed to the school. The ride didn't end at the school, and it's potentially related to whatever he did/whoever he saw on the nightly walks.

Last edited:
As discussed, even though JJ is not a high risk victim (which is what makes this case so unusual), the other part is the timing of his disappearance (on the way to work) which just adds to the weirdness of it all. I wonder if this timing has at all deterred a deeper dive into things like the long walks (which I didn't know was something he had recently taken up). What if he didn't come home while on one of these walks? What avenues would they have explored further?

My sense is he wanted to walk to meet the coworker because he wanted to walk. In all it's simplicity, but for myriad possible reasons.

I'm dubious it's because of his directional skills, although I'd need to know more about his developmental issues. I think a born or at least bred? (same high school) local coworker could figure out how to pick him up directly if JJ so much as had his own address/intersection memorized. Esp if Fazoli's delivered, in which case I'd assume she had a working knowledge of the streets. All to which is a long way of saying...he could have wanted to stop somewhere, and then presumably keep going. So, where and why? And if to see someone, who?
Snipped.
Fazoli's is an eat in restaurant, no delivery (at least not before Doordash and the like).

FWIW.. Not likely perhaps, but i still have a bit of hope for Jason.
Dec 31, 2023
These kids were found alive years after they went missing. In 2022, Utah deputies made an astonishing discovery after approaching a man who was cold and down on his luck. In 2021, there were tears of joy when a family in China was reunited after over two decades. In 2023, a British boy who went missing at 11 years old in Spain was found years later safe in France. Inside Edition Digital’s Andrea Swindall has more.

FWIW.. Not likely perhaps, but i still have a bit of hope for Jason.
I've always had this hope, and as I mentioned, anything is possible at this point. If you talk to his father, that's what he will tell you too, but that is a conviction of his faith.

This is, however, how the police treated it, at first, and why it took so long for an investigation to start. In their minds a missing teenager was probably a runaway, especially because nothing else turned up. In the early days, that is what I chose to believe too. When I found out that he never tapped his cell phone or debit card, I lost hope. In 2001, that was something that I wouldn't even think of as a teen.

As was discussed earlier on this thread, we don't know what JJ's phone/Internet activity was like in the period of time directly leading up to his disappearance. However, if this was investigated & if anything relevant was found, it's never been released to the public - for obvious reasons. I.e., was he chatting online/talking on the phone with specific person(s) in the weeks or months leading up to when he vanished?! If so, that wouldn't necessarily be connected to the circumstances surrounding his disappearance - but it may be.

I suspect his family still had a land line ATT, given that cell phones were relatively new & somewhat expensive tech. in 2001. And, JJ did have a cell phone - that he had with him when he vanished.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread after learning about it today!

These are a lot of threads to sort through, so bear with me please.

There is one thing I would like clarified. Did Jason's brother pretend to be him on the phone when the coworker first called the house?

Has there been any rule outs?

A total of 3 males, without any other added filters, appear in NAMUS searches for Nebraska.

One of them is for a skull without a lower jaw, found in 2017, estimated to be a male between the ages of 19-30.

This was discovered in Salt Creek, near Ashland, Nebraska. Ashland is approximately 34 minutes away from Omaha according to Google Maps. Salt Creek is 54 minutes according to Google Maps, but it is 44 miles long and covers three counties in the state.

Also, is there a way to see the historic travel routes of trash collection for that day?

What houses would he have walked by that did not have their trash collected yet?

Was all of the trash collected for a radius in the area between the times he disappeared?

If this was an accidental hit and run (or other method) and the culprits realized it was trash collection day, could they have placed him in a dumpster that was not visited yet by the garbage truck? They could have used a businesses dumpster to avoid liability, have room, and be able to cover him up. I have in mind the case of Corrie Mckeague who is theorized to have been transported after falling asleep in a dumpster and/or being the victim of fowl play. I also think about Jack Wheeler, who at some point was in a dumpster before his body was found at a landfill.

The fact that it was trash day really intrigues me for this young mans disappearance.

Has there been any rule outs?

A total of 3 males, without any other added filters, appear in NAMUS searches for Nebraska.

One of them is for a skull without a lower jaw, found in 2017, estimated to be a male between the ages of 19-30.

This was discovered in Salt Creek, near Ashland, Nebraska. Ashland is approximately 34 minutes away from Omaha according to Google Maps. Salt Creek is 54 minutes according to Google Maps, but it is 44 miles long and covers three counties in the state.

Yes the skull has been discussed and if you read past posts you will find the info on that ;) but I will say the skull is still being studied.

Also, is there a way to see the historic travel routes of trash collection for that day?

What houses would he have walked by that did not have their trash collected yet?

Was all of the trash collected for a radius in the area between the times he disappeared?

If this was an accidental hit and run (or other method) and the culprits realized it was trash collection day, could they have placed him in a dumpster that was not visited yet by the garbage truck? They could have used a businesses dumpster to avoid liability, have room, and be able to cover him up. I have in mind the case of Corrie Mckeague who is theorized to have been transported after falling asleep in a dumpster and/or being the victim of fowl play. I also think about Jack Wheeler, who at some point was in a dumpster before his body was found at a landfill.

The fact that it was trash day really intrigues me for this young mans disappearance.
Most residential areas are serviced on a different collection schedule and often a different hauling company than commercial dumpsters. It’s been that way every place I’ve lived.

This is my first post, but a case I have been following and puzzling over for months now. I have a son myself, i think when you have your own kids it really puts these cases into a new light. I cannot imagine what his family have been/ are going through. Not knowing and the lack of closure must be awful.

If JJ was polite/people pleaser type , is there any chance he could have agreed to the shift over the phone and the offer of a lift to work as on the spot ? Then once he started walking to meet his lift, realised he could just avoid going to work by being late as the co-worker said she wouldn't hang around for long ? Would that then make sense of why he was spotted near the garage .

It's really frustrating that those early days were not handled appropriately by the police , it could have been a very different outcome for JJ & his family.

This is my first post, but a case I have been following and puzzling over for months now. I have a son myself, i think when you have your own kids it really puts these cases into a new light. I cannot imagine what his family have been/ are going through. Not knowing and the lack of closure must be awful.

If JJ was polite/people pleaser type , is there any chance he could have agreed to the shift over the phone and the offer of a lift to work as on the spot ? Then once he started walking to meet his lift, realised he could just avoid going to work by being late as the co-worker said she wouldn't hang around for long ? Would that then make sense of why he was spotted near the garage .

It's really frustrating that those early days were not handled appropriately by the police , it could have been a very different outcome for JJ & his family.
Welcome to Ws @SDMABEL!
Sometimes i have wondered if Jason started walking along the way, something happened, he lost direction, just got fed up and kept on going . imo, speculation

From everything I've read over the years, Jason was a very responsible young man and would not skip out on work. As for that alleged sighting near the gas stn. (I was surprised to read about it on another site 9 months ago), it sounded like it could be the case from what the poster wrote IMO. Apparently the poster went to police at later time to report it.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
The trash cans still stick out to me <modsnip>, trash day being something of interest to me.

There is at least one case of a person being murdered and placed into a garbage bin. Colleen Ritzer was a teacher who was murdered at her school by a student, and the student placed her body in a trash bin. This all happened near the end of the school day, but still, in the middle of the day, at the school!

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

The trash cans still stick out to me <modsnip>, trash day being something of interest to me.

There is at least one case of a person being murdered and placed into a garbage bin. Colleen Ritzer was a teacher who was murdered at her school by a student, and the student placed her body in a trash bin. This all happened near the end of the school day, but still, in the middle of the day, at the school!
Trash was already picked up that day though. Jason was bringing the empty cans back into the garage before he left for the school.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2001 we did not use the trash bins that we have only now been using the last 4-5 years. We used 55 gallon metal or plastic cans. They (and the bins now) have weight limits, and then were picked up by hand. It was also acceptable then to put trash out in bags, and recyclables all went in clear bags.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back