NE NE - Jason Jolkowski -19 - Omaha - 13 Jun 2001 - #4

I've been following this case since it happened and I am stumped. Usually I can come up with something, but in this case, nope. I'm throwing out the theory below not even really believing it, but it's the only thing I can make sense of.

Years ago, my stepbrother worked at a fast food place. He, like many of his coworkers, was in his late teens. Some of them decided to help themselves to a few dollars here and there from the cash register, my stepbrother included. He got caught, swearing up and down that he was going to pay it back (doubtful). His employer decided to take it to court, so in exchange for not being charged, he gave the names of others involved. The amount of money was not significant (not the point at all) and it was unclear if anyone would spend any time in jail, but he began receiving death threats at our house.

I keep wondering if Jason was aware of something (not even involved, just aware) that was happening at work (theft, drugs, etc.) and someone was afraid he was going to say something. When they found out he was coming in early, walking to meet someone, they took the opportunity to intercept him and things went south.

In order for this to happen, so many events would need to perfectly align in a quick manner. That gives me pause, but weirder things have happened and we've seen people in the wrong place at the wrong time many times on these boards.

I've got nothing else. *Shrug*

if i'm not mistaken, it was the neighbour who said Jason was carrying the red work shirt. It might seem like a small detail, but I think it matters which is why I am honing in on it. Jason's mother wasn't there so I'm not sure how she can confirm he was wearing the work shirt

edit: the official "project jason" website also said Jason was "carrying a red work shirt". it specifically stated: "Jason is a white male, six foot one inches tall, weighing 165 pounds with brown hair, brown eyes and a light complexion. Jason was last seen wearing a white "Chicago Cubs" or "Sammy Sosa" t-shirt, black dress pants, blue "Cubs" cap, dress shoes, and also carrying red work shirt." (BBM)

so another inconsistency.
I tend to think that the neighbour is giving the correct version, being he is the one who saw Jason that morning! I mean, his mom was partially correct, her son was wearing his uniform black pants. I think if the Chicago Cubs or Sammy Sosa t-shirt hadnt been worn, it wouldve still been at home and that that would have been noted at some point.

Last edited:
Ok, this might get interesting...

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Jason was born on a Wednesday (24th June, 1981). He vanished on a Wednesday (June 13th, 2001).

His last appearance in the Church was Sunday (10th June, 2001) and his birthday (24th June, 2001) was set to fall on a Sunday.

To me, that's much more than a little strange. Could this disappearance have a religious angle to it? You might say I am looking too in depth for this, but i'm not sure I am. This case hasn't been solved, so absolutely nothing is off the cards and it's more than time for "out of the box" thinking.

Speaking of the last appearance in Church 3 days before he went missing, Jason was said to have done a reading (as a lector) at 9am on Sunday Mass. On that Sunday, Jason read Proverbs 8, verses 22-31 and Romans 5, verses 1-5.

Notably, Romans C5 V3-5 says: "3 But that's not all! We gladly suffer, because we know that suffering helps us to endure. 4 And endurance builds character, which gives us a hope 5 that will never disappoint us. All of this happens because God has given us the Holy Spirit, who fills our hearts with his love."

I am now thinking Jason was very possibly targeted by someone from Church who knew Jason intimately - intimately as in very well. Someone who presented themselves as trustworthy, but underneath the veil, they were anything but trustworthy. They will have knew Jason well enough to know his birthday, age, even his address etc. The question is: who.

It's very possible, but I don't understand how his upcoming birthday would come into play. Could you please explain your theory further?
Well, someone didn't want him to see his birthday, meaning it had to be someone who knew him well enough to know his birthday / date of birth. Someone in a trustworthy position e.g in Church.

It makes me wonder whether Jason picked those bible verses to read, or someone else had him read them. It's very curious to me that the specific verse he read in Romans talks about suffering being character-building and effectively dying (in layman's terms: suffering is preparing you for heaven).

To pick that extremely specific verse tells me that it's possible someone told Jason to read that under the veil that it's just a nice, positive message, when in actual fact, it was effectively a bad omen. I would call into question whoever told Jason to read that verse.

This is why I am thinking the person behind this likely attended the Sunday Mass prior to Jason disappearing.

I can't think if a reason for that, though. Do you have a theory why?
Honestly, I don't know why, I could speculate that Jason's speech disorder/issue (as his mother said) could have been a contributing factor. Maybe he was deemed to be slower/younger than he was, so he'd be seen as vulnerable and easily manipulated by an individual at the Church. Jason was said to be extremely trusting, to the point where he'd do anything for anyone. So it seems to me that he was targeted/singled out by a member of the Church who lived within a very close proximity to him.

If I was the investigating officer, I would be looking at who lived within 5 minutes of Jason and who had a connection with the Church. I'd be extra suspicious of any older men (40+) and if they had any prior convictions, although it wouldn't surprise me if they had no convictions, because the person(s) responsible did this with no evidence leaking for 20+ years, so if they didn't have a criminal record, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Honestly, I don't know why, I could speculate that Jason's speech disorder/issue (as his mother said) could have been a contributing factor. Maybe he was deemed to be slower/younger than he was, so he'd be seen as vulnerable and easily manipulated by an individual at the Church. Jason was said to be extremely trusting, to the point where he'd do anything for anyone. So it seems to me that he was targeted/singled out by a member of the Church who lived within a very close proximity to him.

If I was the investigating officer, I would be looking at who lived within 5 minutes of Jason and who had a connection with the Church. I'd be extra suspicious of any older men (40+) and if they had any prior convictions, although it wouldn't surprise me if they had no convictions, because the person(s) responsible did this with no evidence leaking for 20+ years, so if they didn't have a criminal record, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
What I would like is to see a list of sex offenders from 2001 or close to that year in the area of Jasons home and school or list of all residents in that area. Of course, some would be renters so that wouldnt be complete list of locals anyways. Of course, the perp could be a previously unknown onetime murderer or a church related individual. I think someone on WS did put in a FOI for police notes at one time, not sure, but it was denied if so obviously. If any new results happen in this case, as others have said, it will be by happenstance of finding Jason by a new homeowner in area or by a hunter or hiker further afield. IMO. Until or IF that occurs, the family, who bear this burden every day, and all concerned with Jasons disappearance, wait.

What I would like is to see a list of sex offenders from 2001 or close to that year in the area of Jasons home and school or list of all residents in that area. Of course, some would be renters so that wouldnt be complete list of locals anyways. Of course, the perp could be a previously unknown onetime murderer or a church related individual. I think someone on WS did put in a FOI for police notes at one time, not sure, but it was denied if so obviously. If any new results happen in this case, as others have said, it will be by happenstance of finding Jason by a new homeowner in area or by a hunter or hiker further afield. IMO. Until or IF that occurs, the family, who bear this burden every day, and all concerned with Jasons disappearance, wait.
Yep that is what we'd need to look into this deeper. What didn't help is waiting 10 days before the police decided to do anything. 10 days is massive.

Yep that is what we'd need to look into this deeper. What didn't help is waiting 10 days before the police decided to do anything. 10 days is massive.
Also, anyone LE interviewed and discounted couldve still been the perp, and they wouldve had ample time to cover up the crime in 10 days unfortunately.

It makes me wonder whether Jason picked those bible verses to read, or someone else had him read them. It's very curious to me that the specific verse he read in Romans talks about suffering being character-building and effectively dying (in layman's terms: suffering is preparing you for heaven).
In the Catholic church, and even many protestant churches, the lecture very rarely picks the reading. Though it can vary, the reading is often the same in every church on a given day. Same Gospel and Epistle reading. They coincide with what is going on in the calendar year. No hard fast rule, as it can be changed, but I have a hunch it was the suggested reading for that day.

Also, anyone LE interviewed and discounted couldve still been the perp, and they wouldve had ample time to cover up the crime in 10 days unfortunately.
absolutely, in fact, i'd wager the police have already interviewed whoever it was.

I mean, let's look at this closely, this cannot be a co-incidence can it?
  1. his car was in the garage
  2. he got called into work, he said he'd have to walk, but his boss went out of his way to arrange a lift
  3. he set off on a route he had done so many times before
  4. he was in Church just 3 days earlier reading a bible verse that basically talks about suffering and it being worth it because it makes you a better person and if you suffer like Jesus did, you'll be prepared for meeting "God"
  5. he was born on a wednesday, went missing on a wednesday
  6. he acted as a lector on a mass on a sunday, and his birthday was the following sunday

it just stinks to me of someone who:

1) knew Jason's car was in the garage
2) knew Jason's birthday / DOB and this may have been a factor (I mean, if you're going missing, there's a 1/7 chance of going missing on the same day you were born. Religious symbolism of some description??)
3) knew Jason would trust him enough to enable him to do whatever he [the perp] was planning

In the Catholic church, and even many protestant churches, the lecture very rarely picks the reading. Though it can vary, the reading is often the same in every church on a given day. Same Gospel and Epistle reading. They coincide with what is going on in the calendar year. No hard fast rule, as it can be changed, but I have a hunch it was the suggested reading for that day.
that could be something... the person who made jason read it could be of interest

Normally I would be iffy on the 10 day old memory of what shirt a random neighbor of mine was wearing when I saw them, however something linked to professional sports? I can give that a bit more leeway. i.e. the neighbor may have been a fan, could have admired the shirt and thought "That's a cool shirt, wonder what they cost?", etc. Paired with maybe the noise of cans jingling around on the day they would be moved to the curb and I personally feel this could be enough to cement a memory.

I think two things are a certainty, that Jason fell victim to foul play, and that the perp is a male. I would also add that the perp is a middle-aged to older male and someone known to Jason, either by sight alone or as an acquaintance who lives enroute to the school. JMO.

Normally I would be iffy on the 10 day old memory of what shirt a random neighbor of mine was wearing when I saw them, however something linked to professional sports? I can give that a bit more leeway. i.e. the neighbor may have been a fan, could have admired the shirt and thought "That's a cool shirt, wonder what they cost?", etc. Paired with maybe the noise of cans jingling around on the day they would be moved to the curb and I personally feel this could be enough to cement a memory.
I highly doubt I would remember what shirt or top or coat a neighbour wore, especially ten days later lol. However like you mention, if there was something about the outfit that made it memorable to me and that I related to, like a favourite sports team, then I might. Perhaps the neighbour was also a baseball fan, and had a very good memory as well.

I think two things are a certainty, that Jason fell victim to foul play, and that the perp is a male. I would also add that the perp is a middle-aged to older male and someone known to Jason, either by sight alone or as an acquaintance who lives enroute to the school. JMO.
agree, and personally, I am beginning to strongly suspect a Church-connection. JMO.

There's one too many coincidences with the Church for my liking. June 13th 2001, the day Jason went missing, was actually marked on the catholic calendar at St Anthony's of Padua. A little research on Saint Anthony of Padua makes for interesting reading... as St. Anthony is the patron saint of missing people.

Co-incidence? or something sinister involving someone from the church?

I can see the perp belonging to his church. The priest there, "E.V" (named in article) left shortly after Jason's disappearance. Not sure how shortly after, but according to old records, the church had a new pastor by 2002. E.V bounced around the midwest/southwest ever since; he's in Chicago now after spending the covid years (and possibly a couple before) at a church in Arizona.

I can see the perp belonging to his church. The priest there, "E.V" (named in article) left shortly after Jason's disappearance. Not sure how shortly after, but according to old records, the church had a new pastor by 2002. E.V bounced around the midwest/southwest ever since; he's in Chicago now after spending the covid years (and possibly a couple before) at a church in Arizona.
Thanks, I think you brought this to our attention on this thread before; and always good to get a reminder as your research on this case has been topnotch as a longtimer here. I do think this is a valid line of enquiry, as they say!

Last edited:
Could it be possible he told Jason to read those verses during the Sunday mass?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Horusthetortoise
Back