NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 June 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point!
If Jason used to walk to school and then began driving places, somebody who may have had an eye on him, perhaps even getting ready to move away, saw an opportunity and took it.
Recently watched a true crime show where two girls were tricked into a garage after being asked to help an older neighbour " with a sore back " move a box.
One girl was murdered, the other got away and was able to bring LE to the perp's house.
Perp had been totally under the radar, he was the grandfather of a boy known to both girls and he had been taking note of the girls in the neighbourhood for some time, checking them off his list.
Could there have been a situation like that in Jason's area?

That's a pretty scary story, Dot! Especially since the girls were acquainted with them and, from the sounds of it, had no reason to fear him.
I think this is very plausible in Jason's case as well - known well enough not to be a stranger to Jason, but unknown enough not to attract LE's attentions.

Either that or something awful becomes of Jason (at the hands of someone else) and his body is put in a dumpster, taken to landfill and that's why he was never found.

I have not wanted to bring this topic up because of the nasty nature of it, but, as you bring it up now, it could just as well be said that in the type of crime where someone fatally falls victim to a murder inside the home of the perpertrator, one of the repeatedly used methods of disposal is dismemberment and dumping of the remains with the ordinary household trash, or driving away with them to a landfill. I have gotten the impression that this method appears to be more commonly used by sexually motivated murderers.
This is also one of the contributing reasons to why that type of missing person case so often remains unsolved, because, apart from there often being an utter lack of witnesses, there is also often on top of that simply no body to be found.

Great point!
If Jason used to walk to school and then began driving places, somebody who may have had an eye on him, perhaps even getting ready to move away, saw an opportunity and took it.
Recently watched a true crime show where two girls were tricked into a garage after being asked to help an older neighbour " with a sore back " move a box.
One girl was murdered, the other got away and was able to bring LE to the perp's house.
Perp had been totally under the radar, he was the grandfather of a boy known to both girls and he had been taking note of the girls in the neighbourhood for some time, checking them off his list.

Could there have been a situation like that in Jason's area?

That was actually one of the original theories, that someone in the neighborhood had been watching him since some time and then seized the occassion when seeing him walking alone and without his car, which is of course fully possible, and as we know the police also searched the house of the neighbor living just accross the street, so evidently the investigators have had the same idea crossing their minds.

Nevertheless, I have repeatedly wondered if ALL residents along the road where Jason walked were interrogated and had their houses searched, or only those who were registered sex offenders. I certainly hope all of them were searched, because if not, it might well be that the Law Enforcement have actually missed a perpertrator right under their noses, which would certainly not be the first time.

I also hope they used luminol on all surfaces inside the house(s) and garages they checked, and also checked if there just recently had been any rebuilding or changing of any surface, especially floors, in any of the houses and garages.

I have really no specific opinion on the older man, however in a theoretical scenario, the lack of further victims could very easily be explained with that 'one victim' being something completely unpremeditated, either like manslaughter or even an utter accident.

That's right. Even if it was a premeditated murder, we shouldn't assume it's a serial killer. Plenty of perps have committed terrible one-off murders. It could've been a crime of passion specific to that particular victim.

I have not wanted to bring this topic up because of the nasty nature of it, but, as you bring it up now, it could just as well be said that in the type of crime where someone fatally falls victim to a murder inside the home of the perpertrator, one of the repeatedly used methods of disposal is dismemberment and dumping of the remains with the ordinary household trash, or driving away with them to a landfill. I have gotten the impression that this method appears to be more commonly used by sexually motivated murderers.
This is also one of the contributing reasons to why that type of missing person case so often remains unsolved, because, apart from there often being an utter lack of witnesses, there is also often on top of that simply no body to be found.

That was actually one of the original theories, that someone in the neighborhood had been watching him since some time and then seized the occassion when seeing him walking alone and without his car, which is of course fully possible, and as we know the police also searched the house of the neighbor living just accross the street, so evidently the investigators have had the same idea crossing their minds.

Nevertheless, I have repeatedly wondered if ALL residents along the road where Jason walked were interrogated and had their houses searched, or only those who were registered sex offenders. I certainly hope all of them were searched, because if not, it might well be that the Law Enforcement have actually missed a perpertrator right under their noses, which would certainly not be the first time.

I also hope they used luminol on all surfaces inside the house(s) and garages they checked, and also checked if there just recently had been any rebuilding or changing of any surface, especially floors, in any of the houses and garages.

RBBM for focus

I would hope they searched all the houses along the route to the school, but I don't know the legalities of it. As we all know, they can't just barge in and start looking around, they'd have to have search warrants, and in order to get a warrant they need to prove probable cause to a judge. A missing adult may not have been compelling enough to grant them, especially if there was no evidence it wasn't voluntary at that time, but I at least hope that investigators attempted it.

That's right. Even if it was a premeditated murder, we shouldn't assume it's a serial killer. Plenty of perps have committed terrible one-off murders. It could've been a crime of passion specific to that particular victim.
I agree with this, ekardh. Not all killers are serial killers. This very well could have been a crime of passion, like you said, and I will add, one of opportunity, too.

RBBM for focus

I would hope they searched all the houses along the route to the school, but I don't know the legalities of it. As we all know, they can't just barge in and start looking around, they'd have to have search warrants, and in order to get a warrant they need to prove probable cause to a judge. A missing adult may not have been compelling enough to grant them, especially if there was no evidence it wasn't voluntary at that time, but I at least hope that investigators attempted it.

Quite right, Alleykins. Absolute madness to expect the police to conduct a house search on EVERY property in the neighbourhood. Simply wouldn't happen. Door-to-door enquiries, maybe.

Quite right, Alleykins. Absolute madness to expect the police to conduct a house search on EVERY property in the neighbourhood. Simply wouldn't happen. Door-to-door enquiries, maybe.

Exactly. I don't believe anything would have stopped investigators from knocking on everyone's door and asking questions and for permission to take a look around. All that would happen is the home owner could say "no" and at that point, they would just move along.

Well LE really dropped the ball on this case. They waited about 10 days before asking around the neighborhood. By then the perp would have time to dump the evidence and cook up an alibi. Even neighbors who MAY have seen something probably wouldn't remember 10 days later.

Well LE really dropped the ball on this case. They waited about 10 days before asking around the neighborhood. By then the perp would have time to dump the evidence and cook up an alibi. Even neighbors who MAY have seen something probably wouldn't remember 10 days later.

And after so many days it also becomes dramatically less likely that even search dogs will be to any sort of use any longer, which they however had been if they had been called in within days of him going missing (pressuming it hadn't been raining soon after the disappearance). As a matter of fact, even if he had been leaving the road in a car, the right kind of search dog would have been able to follow his trace even then.

It is details like that which makes cases like this, where a search have been belated, so extremely annoying as it could have taken a vastly different direction with an earlier and more effective approach. Perhaps it had not saved the life of the missing person in question, but at least it could have given answers. And, perhaps, even ensuring justice to be served.

It was too late for me to edit and add the following in the previous post, so I take it separately like this.

Yeah—it's just that Gacy's MO, from my understanding, wasn't anything like 'spontaneous snatch-and-grab'. He used engaged in some manner of grooming behavior, came up with incentives and enticements to get the boys into his house (and I'm pretty sure he scheduled appointments with them, like "hey can you come over and paint my house on Sunday," or "if you don't tell your parents, you can come over Saturday and we'll drink a few beers").

I am not sure exactly how you mean with "snatch and grab". Do you mean someone who jumps out of a car and grabs a guy by force? Or do you just refer to a sudden approach, but without violence? If the latter, it has certainly not been a rarity in the known crime history with a youngster in the later teens/early twenties being offered a ride by an utter stranger (if that was the kind of scenario you meant).

Can you think of anything close to an opportunistic sexual predator, who chose adult male victims, and who engaged with them in a sudden, out-of-the-blue manner?

If you mean someone who chose only adult males, I can for the moment only recall recently sentenced Stephen Port, whose victims ranged between 21-25 involving different types of approach.
However if you mean examples where the predator picked male victims of a widely mixed age range including adults, and who he had been foremostly unfamiliar with since earlier, then a few such examples are Randy Stephen Kraft/The Scoreboard killer, with a list of 16-67 victims ranging in ages 13 - 35. Dean Corll, 28+ victims between 13-20, Jeffrey Dahmer, 17 known victims ranging between 14-32, to only mention some examples (there are more).

So, the scenario of a 19-year-old youngster being approached by an utter stranger is absolutely nothing improbable as it has happened quite a few times before.

A Fazzoli's-based conspiracy isn't impossible. It just isn't likely based on what we know. Someone who he worked with would need a motive (we don't have one) and a co-conspirator/accomplice/hit-man to actually meet Jason in his neighborhood. Plus they would have had to have timed it pretty well.

If we're going to rule out random abduction as statically implausible, we can also rule out 19-year old pizza baker is murdered in elaborate conspiracy as statistically implausible.

I think the most plausible explanation is a John Wayne Gacy-type predator who lived in the area in 2001. This person could also be behind the disappearance of Samuel Sherman.

Neither to forget also the other young Omaha males I once listed who disappeared during somewhat similar circumstances. However in the eventuality that they would truly be related, it would mean that the perpetrator have been active since at least 1993, something which I feel somewhat sceptical about, although it is by no means an impossibility.

There are only 2 theories which I personally believe could have happened. Not to say other things couldn't have happened, but I myself don't believe them to have.

1. Sex offender lures Jason either into a car or their home and murders him
or
2. Some Fazolis workers arrange someone to intercept him and kill him, or at the very least are somehow behind it possibly in another way.

I don't believe that Jason ran away willingly, nor do I believe the idea of a hit and run driver hiding his body

ETA: As I mentioned a few pages ago with a visual, the sheer number of sex offenders around Jason's house and around Benson High school is appalling. I don't know how many were there in 2001, but I imagine the numbers aren't too different. I get that offenders have to live somewhere, but I would be very uncomfortable living near so many of them

There are only 2 theories which I personally believe could have happened. Not to say other things couldn't have happened, but I myself don't believe them to have.

1. Sex offender lures Jason either into a car or their home and murders him
or
2. Some Fazolis workers arrange someone to intercept him and kill him, or at the very least are somehow behind it possibly in another way.

I don't believe that Jason ran away willingly, nor do I believe the idea of a hit and run driver hiding his body

ETA: As I mentioned a few pages ago with a visual, the sheer number of sex offenders around Jason's house and around Benson High school is appalling. I don't know how many were there in 2001, but I imagine the numbers aren't too different. I get that offenders have to live somewhere, but I would be very uncomfortable living near so many of them

The police should have looked into any sex offenders on route or in the general area who had a history of targeting teenage and young adult males. They probably did.

Kelly Murphy once said in an interview that a neighbor's home was searched. I don't know the details of why, but he may have been someone with a history of targeting young men. He may have lived on the path to the school.

The perpetrator may have lived in the general area but not on the route. He could have abducted him by vehicle, possibly at gunpoint or maybe he was someone Jason knew.

I don't think a John Wayne Gacy-type was randomly driving through an Omaha neighborhood on a random Wednesday morning and abducted a random 19 year old. But a Gacy-like neighbor striking in his own area would be plausible.

Project Jason mentioned that they attended Mass every Sunday. His abductor could have been someone he knew from church. This angle has probably been heavily under explored.

Very strange to have no suspect in this kind of case. This wasn't some little boy who could be easily snatched or lured into danger, this was a 6'2" grown man. This kind of abduction with dudes rarely happens. It's safe to say that if Jason was met by foul play then it was most likely someone he knew, but with the absence of any suspect or motive we're just going to keep beating our heads against the wall on this one.

Failing that, I think it was some kind of freak accident.

Project Jason mentioned that they attended Mass every Sunday. His abductor could have been someone he knew from church. This angle has probably been heavily under explored.

I've thought about it maybe being someone from church, not sure if the investigation included their congregation, and if so, how in depth it was. All we have to go on was his mother stating that anyone and everyone who ever had anything to do with Jason was explored. That's why I'm leaning toward someone Jason may have known, but investigators didn't know he knew, which could include fellow parishioners.

I'd like to know exactly how the ride into work for him from a co-worker was arranged? I read somewhere that the boss arranged it when he asked him to come in early but then somewhere else i saw it said Jason himself had asked the co-worker for the ride and arranged where to meet them at the same time. I'd just like to know if the boss/co-worker were eager to offer him this ride to work and he took a bit of convincing or if it was just arranged amicably between them because he would have been walking to work otherwise. This may have been established already i'm not sure but i'm not as up to date on this case as others.

I'd like to know exactly how the ride into work for him from a co-worker was arranged? I read somewhere that the boss arranged it when he asked him to come in early but then somewhere else i saw it said Jason himself had asked the co-worker for the ride and arranged where to meet them at the same time. I'd just like to know if the boss/co-worker were eager to offer him this ride to work and he took a bit of convincing or if it was just arranged amicably between them because he would have been walking to work otherwise. This may have been established already i'm not sure but i'm not as up to date on this case as others.
From what I've seen online, Jason was called into work early and during that same phone call he said he would walk. Then his boss called a few minutes later and told him that they would pick him up, to which I believe he easily accepted. Because he wasn't good with directions Jason arranged to have the co-worker meet him at the high school rather than her try to find his house. Not sure if Jason ever actually spoke to the female co-worker herself, or if this was just all arranged through the boss. I imagine the co-worker was already at Fazoli's when the boss told him they'd get him, and just sent her straight to the High school without her ever actually talking to Jason herself

All we have to go on was his mother stating that anyone and everyone who ever had anything to do with Jason was explored.
Again, I take that with the smallest grains of salt. I appreciate that his mother would love to believe that Jason WOULDN'T be hurt by someone he knew or trusted, but that's simply not always the case. I don't know how thoroughly all these people were interrogated, but it's not impossible for them to have had a good fake alibi and pass the questioning at the time. I need more than just 'his mom believes they're innocent' to actually believe that they are innocent. Plenty of cases have ended up with the perp being a trusted friend who was originally cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paladeer