NEW NEPAL - Zisimos Souflas, Mount Everest region, 24 April 2012

I know the base altitude given for altitude sickness is 8k ft, but I can tell you, I've experienced it at 7,250 ft. And it didn't hit me immediately, it was probably 12-18 hours later. I think people's altitude tilt switch varies, particularly due to where they grew up. (I grew up at sea level.)

I wonder if Zisimos (and Aubrey) could have fallen ill in some small village and simply been cared for and (if he (and she) passed) buried by the locals. I guess I'd rather think that's what happened (if they are passed) than something more nefarious.

I know the base altitude given for altitude sickness is 8k ft, but I can tell you, I've experienced it at 7,250 ft. And it didn't hit me immediately, it was probably 12-18 hours later. I think people's altitude tilt switch varies, particularly due to where they grew up. (I grew up at sea level.)

I agree. In my opinion, a hiker can start feeling the altitude at 5000 feet. Also, the condition is unpredictable, and afflicts people regardless of their level of physical strength.

I wonder if Zisimos (and Aubrey) could have fallen ill in some small village and simply been cared for and (if he (and she) passed) buried by the locals. I guess I'd rather think that's what happened (if they are passed) than something more nefarious.

The trails they were trekking are in large parks which cater heavily to the tourists. We cannot rule out that they suffered altitude sickness, then became disoriented and wandered away from the main trails. But if any of the locals had found them in either of those areas, they would have been recognized as Westerners. The proper procedure would have been to notify the local police, who would investigate the incident and contact the families.

In my opinion, the case of Debbie Maveau, who was murdered, was an anomaly.

Each case should be examined separately, and similarities considered.

As we have discussed before, the case of Zisimos Souflas and the case of Aubrey Sacco have many strong similarities.

Also, the ZS case has some elements in common with the 2004 case of Gareth Koch.

Gareth Koch traveled to the Khumbu to hike to Everest Base Camp with a companion, but they got involved in a personal dispute, and separated. Both visited EBC but with different parties. Later, after returning to Katmandu, the companion felt remorse and tried to verify that GK had safely left the Khumbu region, but he was contacted by a co-worker back home and falsely told that GK was already back in the UK.

Source: http://bgarethkochlostinnepal.runboard.com/t83

GK was last seen leaving a guest house in Chukkung (many different spellings used), and believed to be heading back towards Dingboche (which is right near Pheriche), and eventually to Namche Bazaar. As you can see on the map above, this area is on the main trail in between EBC and Namche Bazaar.

Similarly, in the ZS case, we have confusion over the phone calls, and where exactly he was on the 27th of April, three days after he was last reported seen, when he called his friend ST. If the cell phone was spoofed, the intention may have been to create a false impression that ZS was in the area of Namche Bazaar.

Walker,
I think using Lonely Planet as a resource is a brilliant idea. I am a huge fan of the series and it is often the best (and at times only) guide to obscure places, especially if you're trying to travel on the cheap. I have been places where every American had a lonely planet, you could recognize the color of the cover out of people's back pockets. Unfortunately, LP readers don't tend to be the most cautious travelers and LP sometimes suggests locations that aren't the safest places to travel. In the last decade or so they've gotten more responsible about this. Their Russia book actually refused to cover certain war torn regions. Their Panama book (gosh, 15 years ago?) actually described a border crossing so remote that it told you where the border guard had lunch so you could go find him if he wasn't there. My point is, ZS seems like a LP kind of backpacker. Not naive, but unfettered by the cautiousness that prevents some people from truly living but on rare occasions may lead one into danger.

This is by no means a dig on ZS, just an attempt to gain insight into where he may have gone. I wonder what I commend him for embarking on a trek that for most would be just a pipe dream.

I wonder if the Rough Guide has different side trips listed. That's in the same general type of book.
-Necco

The Lonely Planet guide entitled “Trekking in the Nepal Himalaya, Ninth Edition, August 2009” suggests that people hiking to Everest Base Camp proceed slowly, and take side trips along the way for acclimatization. ZS may have had an intention of taking such a side trip.

If he did head straight for the Everest Base Camp, he would have allowed more than a few days to complete the journey and return to Namche Bazaar. The hike itself is not terribly strenuous, but the high altitude and potential for inclement weather are major hazards.

According to the same guide, the hotel charges 200 Nepali rupees or $20 USD per night. While possibly outdated, this price is high enough to discourage the average trekker from holding a room there indefinitely or from making a formal arrangement to use the room for mere storage.

ZS’s family member:

Source:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/158238870967573/

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-days-Belgian-decapitated.html#ixzz26yyF9Bm2

ZS’s brother and some friends went to Namche Bazaar to visit the Hotel Tibet, the last place where ZS was seen. On the same day that they landed in Katmandu, a huge avalanche occurred, and therefore ZS’s story got less attention on the news.

The group took a plane to Lukla (known as the most dangerous airfield in the world) just as ZS had done; the following day, the very same plane crashed killing 19 people. They hiked to Namche Bazaar, and met with the police in that small remote town, and a conference was held regarding ZS’s disappearance.

However, the townspeople were angry at ZS’s friends and his brother, because they assume that if ZS’s case becomes well-known, their businesses might lose money. They even launched a campaign to stop! the police investigation and take down all the missing posters.

Hopefully, the people will realize that their businesses depend on the trust of the tourists; in the long term, supporting the investigation and showing sympathy for the grieving searchers is not only the right thing to do, but it would actually bolster their future financial prospects as well.

Source: http://www.facebook.com/groups/158238870967573/

Tourist arrivals down 7.3% in Oct

http://myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=44320

[Source: ]REPUBLICA

KATHMANDU, Nov 2: Tourist arrivals to Nepal air dropped by 7.3 percent in October compared to figures of the same period last year, as the country received fewer European and South Asian tourists. This is the first time Nepal´s tourist arrivals witnessed negative growth since June, 2009 ... Tourism entrepreneurs say sluggish economy in Europe - one of the major tourist generating markets for Nepal - is the major factor behind decline in the number of European visitors.

http://myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=44293

Tourist number down at Sagarmatha park

[ZS signed into this park on April 23, 2012].

http://myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=44293

SOLUKHUMBU, Nov 2: The number of tourists visiting the Sagarmatha National Park in Solukhumbu district has decreased this October in comparison to the same period last year. October is considered the peak tourism season for tourist arrivals.

ZS’s phone had a record in its call history of a call made on April 27, 2012 to one of ZS’s contacts which was not picked up; while the phone itself was stored in a room at the Hotel Tibet in Namche Bazaar. According to the hotel staff, no one had access to the room during this time period, nor did any member of the staff attempt to contact any associate of ZS prior to May 15, when his family in the UK realized that he had missed his flight to Manchester Airport, and reported him missing.

My previous suggestion was that ZS’s cell phone had been “spoofed.”

Spoofing might not be the correct term for the process that may have been used. Ordinarily “spoofing” a phone means that the display of the incoming caller’s number is altered; therefore, the call receiver is deceived about the origin of an incoming call. Telemarketers will frequently use this technique to persuade potential customers to answer their calls.

Apparently, however (as far as I can determine) spoofing a phone call would in no way affect the call history of the phone whose number was used as the spoof. In other words, if ZS’s number was used to spoof the phone of one of his contacts, the only result would be that the contact’s phone would falsely display that it had received a call from ZS’s number. Under normal circumstances, the two separate phone histories would never be reconciled in any way. Therefore, ZS’s phone would be completely unaffected in this case.

Cell phones can be activated remotely using computers and smart phones. This technique is used for various spying activities.

Maybe ZS’s phone was activated via remote for the purpose of forwarding all of his calls to another location. Perhaps some person or group wanted to monitor who might be concerned about his whereabouts.

ZS was not likely the victim of a common . How would a stranger know ZS’s cell phone number, and why would they be interested in his social or business contacts?

The trails above and around Namche Bazaar are hazardous; he may indeed have met with an accident; but did he just happen to meet with an accident at around the same time that his cell phone was also being bluebugged?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluebugging

Bluebugging manipulates a target phone into compromising its security, this to create a backdoor attack before returning control of the phone to its owner. Once control of a phone has been established, it is used to call back the hacker who is then able to listen-in to conversations. The Bluebug program also has the capability to create a call forwarding application whereby the hacker receives calls intended for the target phone.

ZS’s main purpose in going to Nepal was to attend the wedding of a friend. Speaking generally, ZS’s friend and other associates in Nepal in such a situation would likely take an interest in his subsequent travels about Nepal, perhaps they would also feel some concern for his safety as he hiked in the mountains, and they would likely plan on meeting with ZS at least once before his final departure back to the UK on May 15.

Did the call to ST on 27 April offer some excuse as to why he would be completely out of contact for longer than 18 days?

AS sent an email to her parents from inside Langtang National Park telling them that not only was she going to tackle the main trail alone, but that she might be out of communication for more than the planned 10 days as she also wanted to investigate "side trails."

Could possibly suggest that she was making an excuse, persuaded, or somehow even forced to make such an excuse to buy extra time before her parents reported her missing.

Related post from AS thread:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8130501&postcount=98

Bluebugging is facilitated by physical contact (called “pairing”) between the cell phone and the device designed for this purpose. “Social engineering” (or "human engineering") refers to the sometimes dishonest persuasion methods used to gain access to information or a device.

"There are some serious vulnerabilities in certain implementations of Bluetooth which allow for exploitation of the device," [security expert Dino] Covotsos observes, "so the most vulnerable phone is one which has an older implementation. However people often forget about the social engineering factor for attacks, where it literally takes just a few seconds to pair with a device and once that has been done the device is compromised."

Source: "Bluetooth Devices Easily Hacked"
http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/Bluetooth-devices-easily-hacked-20071023

For example, if meditation group leaders demanded that participants in a 10-day meditation session turn in all their cell phones, laptops and cameras to the leadership for "safe keeping," and then bluebugged all the participants' electronics, we would refer to that method as an instance of Social or Human Engineering.

the last message I received from Zisimos, I asked him about his plans to travel to base camp and also discussed whether he still wanted to do a course with me over in Greece.

"yes im heading there the day after tomorrow. most people just fly there but im going to take a bus as far as the road goes then hike a week more from there - its up and down so many hills that you've already scaled the equivalent height of everest from sea level by the time you get there.
only problem is, the route im doing is supposed to take 32 days, but i will only have 25 before my flight home, so i'll need to do it speedy gonzales.
i emailed the organiser again about the course - its supposed to be for the whole of July but they havent announced anything yet so we'll just have to wait and see, i'll let you know when i hear something.
how's the greek classes coming along? any other news?"

Please don't give up on this. I don't want my brother to become just another missing person.

the last message I received from Zisimos, I asked him about his plans to travel to base camp and also discussed whether he still wanted to do a course with me over in Greece.

"yes im heading there the day after tomorrow. most people just fly there but im going to take a bus as far as the road goes then hike a week more from there - its up and down so many hills that you've already scaled the equivalent height of everest from sea level by the time you get there.
only problem is, the route im doing is supposed to take 32 days, but i will only have 25 before my flight home, so i'll need to do it speedy gonzales.
i emailed the organiser again about the course - its supposed to be for the whole of July but they havent announced anything yet so we'll just have to wait and see, i'll let you know when i hear something.

Please don't give up on this. I don't want my brother to become just another missing person.

Thank you for your post. We haven't given up. More than 3700 hits for this thread shows that there is strong interest in this case. Unfortunately information is so limited.

If ZS started counting the days from the morning of April 19, then May 13 would be the 25th day. He would have had one day to say goodbye to friends, and then catch his plane.

Presumed Time Table:

April 18: Traveled to Jiri from Katmandu via bus.
April 19 – 23: 5-day hike from Jiri to Namche Bazaar
April 23: Entered Sagarmatha National Park.
April 24: Left Hotel Tibet in the morning leaving certain valuables
April 27: Called ST.

Source regarding phone call to ST:

http://202.166.193.41/2012/06/21/capital/british-national-missing-from-namche/355905.htmlv

May 15: Missing from plane which arrived in Manchester UK

ZS vanished on the morning of April 24. He has not been reported seen by anyone at all since he left the Hotel Tibet.

ZS: “only problem is, the route im doing is supposed to take 32 days, but i will only have 25 before my flight home, so i'll need to do it speedy gonzales.”

Therefore, ZS was not intending to veer off in search of any obscure site; but rather his plan was to take the most direct possible path to Everest Base Camp.

But note the comment from Michael in Germany:
“[on this trek] it is almost impossible to walk longer than 30 minutes without meeting another human being now if you stick to the well-trodden paths.”

Source: http://searchingforzisimos.com/

Even if ZS became ill due to the altitude, as long as he remained on the main trails, he would most likely have been found and helped by other hikers.

If ZS were actually hiking in the Khumbu region from the morning of April 24 until he made the phone call to his friend ST on April 27, how is it that no one remembered seeing him? No one recalled his ordering a meal, or arranging a room for the night at a teahouse, or greeting them on the trail, or borrowing their satellite phone.

Therefore, in my opinion, the possibility that ZS was not in the Khumbu, but rather had taken a helicopter trip to some other location of similar altitude should be considered.

A helicopter trip would also have solved his time problem. Let’s say that perhaps the meditation group or similar organization persuaded ZS to visit a mountain retreat for a 3-day session, offering to pick him up at the helipad in Syangboche near Namche Bazaar and leave him off at Everest Base Camp. Then, of course, the return helicopter never came.

The group may have allowed him to make a call to ST on the 27th April only to make sure that ST would not become alarmed and notify the police right away.

In the call, ZS mentioned his belongings left behind because he was now suspicious that the group might demand some type of ransom from his friends, and he wanted ST to know that he had at least a few hundred dollars worth of his own potential financial resource available at the hotel.

The group’s motive may not have been money per se; spreading out all over the English-speaking world, they may have need for someone who could teach them English, or provide assistance with advertising and other written media.

But please don’t take the above explanation as anything more than just a theory.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/vipassana-meditation-center-shelburne-falls

Same organzation from which ZS took 10-day course:
http://www.dhara.dhamma.org/ns/

The Goenka Vipassana organization uses the second-level domain name: “dhamma”

Yelp Review of the Massachusetts branch of Dhamma
by S.B. of Manhattan

4/24/2012

I can't believe this is listed on Yelp. Adorable!!

Yes, the other reviewer has said it well....words cannot describe VMC Dhamma Dhara.

You must go for a 10 day course.

It is free (very nice accomodations, homecooked vegetarian meals), and to all suspicious Westerners, no, it is not a cult, nor is it affiliated with any organized religion. You may donate what you wish to only after you have completed a ten day course ...

“To all you suspicious Westerners ….” In other words, if we are skeptical of the behavior of this organzation, we are racists.

Dhamma does protest too much.

“Words cannot describe …”
“I can't believe this is listed on Yelp. Adorable!!”
“You must go …”

Not American phraseology: in the US, children are adorable; we don’t use the word outside of that context very much. We don't call ourselves "Westerners" on our own soil, unless we mean that we are from our West. Also, the exaggeration sounds immature. Of course, many foreigners reside in NYC, and certainly they may attend these courses; but apparently the local people had no positive comment about this facility.

The behavior of Dhamma Organization is suspicious in that they reportedly refused to assist or even express any sympathy with friends who were searching for your brother. Assuming that they still have not provided you with any and all information which could possibly be relevant to his disappearance, you may have legal recourse.

One suggestion: consult a US attorney who specializes in criminal law. In US courts, if there is insufficient evidence for criminal charges, often a civil suit can be brought against an organization on grounds such as (for example)causing you and your family extreme mental strain and emotional trauma.

The Internal Revenue Service has classified Dhamma Organization as 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization which means that it is a "public charity." Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501(c)

Tax statements for Northwestern US branch available here:
http://www.kunja.dhamma.org/#

Quote from the above link:

The Northwest Vipassana Center is administered by the Northwest Vipassana Association, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. Its notice of tax exemption and IRS Form 990 return can be obtained from treasurer@kunja.dhamma.org.

These documents are public, and contain some interesting information about the groups' sponsors.

The Northwest Vipassana Center, also known as Dhamma Kuñja (meaning Grove of Dhamma), is situated on 50 rural acres

Also, in Massachusetts, they own a huge tract of land:
http://www.dhara.dhamma.org/ns/about1_history.shtml

In 1989, a group of meditators donated an adjoining seventy acres of land which brought the land back to its original parcel. Today the center consists of 108 acres …

Most likely as an "educational facility" they pay no property taxes on this land whatsoever.

Of course, advice of counsel is necessary, but possibly Dhamma Organization could lose its US tax-exempt status if they refuse to cooperate with the investigation.

http://www.dhamma.org/en/qanda.shtml

Quotes from the above link:

Is it dangerous to leave a course early?

The point is that leaving early is shortchanging yourself. You don't give yourself a chance to learn the full technique and so you won't be able to apply it successfully in daily life. You also interrupt the process in the middle rather than letting it come to the proper conclusion. To get home a day or two early, you waste all the time you have invested.

How about the tenth day, when talking is allowed and serious meditation stops? Can I leave then?

The tenth day is a very important transition back to ordinary life. No one is permitted to leave on that day.

These statements reflect a suspicious pattern: students put under extreme pressure to stay, and even forced to stay from the ninth to the tenth day.

Have you tried to contact any of this years expedition leaders? It might be a shot in the dark but perhaps they could answer questions about the area and the route your brother was taking.

I follow this expedition every year. (online)

http://himalayanexperience.com/contact

It is ran by Russell Brice and he has been going to the area for years.

If a sect asserts that modern technology (like cell phones, cameras & taping equipment) is "ritually unclean," then certainly they have every right to do so. Most of us agree with the concept of freedom of religion.

But the problem with Dhamma Organization is that its own use of technology is actually quite sophisticated.

How does one apply for the 10-day beginning course?

First, one must complete this application which requires quite a lot of personal information:

http://courses.dhamma.org/en/docs/forms/appform-en.pdf

Not to worry about your privacy though:
http://courses.dhamma.org/en-US/schedules/schdhara

The online application form encrypts your information before it is sent from your computer to our application server. However, it may not be totally secure even though encryption is used. If you are concerned about the possibility of security risks of your confidential information while it is on the Internet, do not use this form and instead download an application. Print and complete it. Then please send the form to the course organizers. By faxing or posting your application form it may delay the registration process by one to two weeks.

Of course, no guarantee that the application will not be scanned, and loaded up on the internet anyway, is offered.

Old students are those who have completed a 10-day Vipassana Meditation course with S.N. Goenka or his Assistant Teachers.

Link: http://courses.dhamma.org/en-US/schedules/schdhara#os

Old Student courses can run up to 45 days.

Note: This link may not have been intended to be accessible by "non-Old-Students," so the text which follows may quickly disappear.

20-day Courses are open only to serious Old Students committed to this technique who have completed a minimum of five 10-day courses , one Satipatthana Sutta course, given Dhamma Service at least one 10-day course, and have been practicing regularly for at least two years.

Applications must be submitted well in advance as processing may take some time. Students who speak neither English nor one of the other announced course languages may apply for the course, however acceptance into the course will depend on the availability of required course materials, suitable translators and permission of the teacher conducting the course.

30-day Courses are open only to serious Old Students committed to this technique who have completed a minimum of six 10-day courses (one since their first 20-day course), one 20-day course, one Satipatthana Sutta course, and have been practicing regularly for at least two years.

Applications must be submitted well in advance as processing may take some time. Students who speak neither English nor one of the other announced course languages may apply for the course, however acceptance into the course will depend on the availability of required course materials, suitable translators and permission of the teacher conducting the course.

45-day Courses are open only to persons involved in Dhamma Service and Assistant Teachers who have completed a minimum of seven 10-day courses (one since their first 30-day course), two 30-day courses, one Satipatthana Sutta course, and have been practicing regularly for at least three years.

Old Student Programs are similar to Service Periods where there is time to work on a variety of Centre maintenance, construction, household and gardening projects, but have a more full and structured program, an opportunity to meet with assistant teachers, and possibly committee and trust meetings. All Old Students are welcome to participate. The daily program will include three group sittings with morning and afternoon work periods and in the evening there will be tapes played of special discourses and talks that S.N. Goenka has given to Old Students.

Satipatthana Sutta Courses have the same timetable and discipline as 10-day course. The difference is that in the taped evening discourses the Satipatthana Sutta is carefully examined. This is the principal text in which the technique of Vipassana is systematically explained. These courses are open to serious old students who have sat (not including courses served) at least three 10-day courses, have not been practising any other meditation techniques since last 10-day course, have been practising this technique of Vipassana for at least one year, and who are trying to maintain their meditation practice and the five precepts in their daily lives, at the very minimum from the time of applying to the course.

Service Periods have been set aside to work on a variety of Centre maintenance, construction, household and gardening projects. All Old Students are welcome to participate. The daily program will include three group sittings with morning and afternoon work periods. On selected evenings, there will be tapes played of special discourses and talks that S.N. Goenka has given to Old Students.

Old Student Short Courses (1-3 days) are for any student who has completed the 10-day course with S.N. Goenka and his assistant teachers. All old students are welcome to apply to attend these courses, including those where it has been some time since their last course.

Old students have the opportunity to provide Dhamma Service at the courses listed above.

That is, they are allowed to work for free.

Note that if you go to this link:
http://www.dhamma.org/

and, then click on the link for "Old Students," you will get this message: The server www.dhamma.org at Old Student Web Site requires a username and password.

Then, if you type in a fake user ID & password:

Authentication required! This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL "/en/os/index.shtml". You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

In case you are allowed to request the document, please check your user-id and password and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 401
www.dhamma.org
Sun Dec 16 21:04:20 2012
Apache

No matter where in the world the beginning student takes the 10-day introductory course, this international organization can use its database to verify completion of this course.

The high-tech is okay for the leadership; but for the students we have this policy:

http://www.dhamma.org/en/code.shtml

Outside Contacts

Students must remain within the course boundaries throughout the course. They may leave only with the specific consent of the teacher. No outside communications is allowed before the course ends. This includes letters, phone calls and visitors. Cell phones, pagers, and other electronic devices must be deposited with the management until the course ends. In case of an emergency, a friend or relative may contact the management.

Music, Reading and Writing

The playing of musical instruments, radios, etc. is not permitted. No reading or writing materials should be brought to the course. Students should not distract themselves by taking notes. The restriction on reading and writing is to emphasize the strictly practical nature of this meditation.

Tape Recorders and Cameras

These may not be used except with the express permission of the teacher.

Note: As we have discussed previously, the items which ZS left at the hotel (note paper, cell phone, etc.) are consistent with the items banned from Dhamma Meditation courses.

An interesting question is whether records of other missing persons who had expressed strong interest in Himalayan hiking, spirituality and culture are also located in this database: for example, Aubrey Sacco, Gareth Koch, and Morgan Harrington (who had planned to go hiking in Tibet with one of her teachers before she was murdered in Charlottesville, Virginia).

Apologies, I was hoping I would receive a notification if anyone had replied. Just in case this hasn't been clarified, the last evidence we have of Zisimos is an email he sent to the Ford volunteer project to ask for his money back as he wasn't happy with the project and was hoping for something a bit more spiritual (he was just painting the monastery). That was on 24th April. His phone had been left at Hotel Tibet. There was an outgoing call on his phone on 27th April to Siddartha Thapa, but this call was not registered on Siddartha's phone and as we found the phone at the hotel, we presume the call wasn't made by Zisimos. Also, he took money out from his account on April 17th.

Where are we up to now, are we suggesting that the meditation centres are some sort of cult? If anyone would like to know anything/have anything clarified, please just ask :)

Apologies, I was hoping I would receive a notification if anyone had replied. Just in case this hasn't been clarified, the last evidence we have of Zisimos is an email he sent to the Ford volunteer project to ask for his money back as he wasn't happy with the project and was hoping for something a bit more spiritual (he was just painting the monastery). That was on 24th April. His phone had been left at Hotel Tibet. There was an outgoing call on his phone on 27th April to Siddartha Thapa, but this call was not registered on Siddartha's phone and as we found the phone at the hotel, we presume the call wasn't made by Zisimos. Also, he took money out from his account on April 17th.

Where are we up to now, are we suggesting that the meditation centres are some sort of cult? If anyone would like to know anything/have anything clarified, please just ask :)

Re-post of the E-Kantipur article:

British national missing from Namche
Ekantipur

KATHMANDU, JUN 21 -

Zisimos Souflas, a 27-year-old British national, has been missing since April 23 from Namche Bazaar during his tour to the Khumbu region. According to a statement by the British Embassy in Kathmandu, he was traveling alone on his way to the Everest base camp and his whereabouts is unknown.

According to his friend Siddartha Thapa, owner of the local hotel where Souflas had stayed has been making conflicting statements and not helping in investigation.

“On April 27, Souflas had made a phone call to me and informed that he left some of his personal belongings, including camera and wallet, at the hotel but when his family member reached there the hotel owner told them that he left the hotel on April 24. It has made us more suspicious,” Thapa said. He also claimed that local police is also not cooperating enough and working in glacial pace.

The family members, British Embassy and his friends in Kathmandu have already brought the notice to the Nepal Police Headquarters.

“He had paid all his due at the hotel also and we are really puzzled what had really happened to him,” Thapa said.

Zisimos, a graduate from the St Andrews University in Scotland, had come to Nepal to attend the wedding of a school friend and stayed on to do some volunteering work. Following this, he went for trekking in the Sagarmatha National Park, which he entered on 23rd April.

It is believed that he stayed at Hotel Tibet in Namche Bazaar. No one has heard from him since this time, said the statement.

Posted on: 2012-06-21 08:39

Of course, sometimes reporters make errors on details, but did ST actually have a conversation with ZS on the 27th?

The comment about "glacial pace" seems somewhat odd. Of course, maybe it's a reflection of some colloquial expression in Nepal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back