New Absolut Vodka Ad

Looks to me like the Vodka company is trying to point out a new Northwest route that illegal aliens can take into Canada now.

Scarp, you're kidding, right? There is nothing new about this map. It is the actual pre-1848 map. Get it? :)

Buzz, what year did your family emigrate from Europe and invade America? What country did they come from?Ignorance is supposed to be bliss, so they say. Lighten up.:rolleyes:

There's LEGAL immigration and ILLEGAL immigration. I don't think they should be compared.

Ding, ding, ding! Somebody got it!

Yep. i knew that. doesn't everyone?

The U.S.-Mexico border lies where it was before the Mexican-American war of 1848 when California, as we now know it, was Mexican territory and known as Alta California.

Following the war, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo saw the Mexican territories of Alta California and Santa Fé de Nuevo México ceded to the United States to become modern-day California, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Arizona. (Texas actually split from Mexico several years earlier to form a breakaway republic, and was voluntarily annexed by the United States in 1846.)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2008/04/mexico-reconque.html

They say all's fair in love and war. :)

It's very simple, for you people that don't grasp the meaning of it. The United States is being invaded, and the rate of invasion has increased immensely in the last 10 years. There are between 20 and 40 million illegal immigrants in the United States at this time. These illegal immigrants don't have any allegiance to the United States; 80% of them are from Mexico, and they do have allegiance to Mexico. A few of you may think this isn't a serious problem, but it really is. Illegal immigrants drain our social resources of 200 billion dollars, or more, every year. As the situation has progressed and gotten completely out of control, without our federal administration doing anything about it, Americans, at least most of them, have become very sensitive, in fact, downright angry, about this situation. It isn't a joke, and it isn't funny at all.

Buzz is right. i wonder when the invasion will be complete. government doesn't seem to be effective in stopping for reasons of their own which i believe have to do with NAFTA and the planned Amero coming to a cash desk near you soon. :(

Buzz, what year did your family emigrate from Europe and invade America? What country did they come from?

Ignorance is supposed to be bliss, so they say. Lighten up.:rolleyes:

"Do you want Mexico, Canada and the United States to merge"? she (me)asked, smiling sweetly. :)

Vodka Maker Apologizes for Ad Depicting Southwest as Part of Mexico

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,346964,00.html

"In no way was it meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues," Absolut said in a statement left on its consumer inquiry phone line."

Hmmm . . . I'm not sure what the company meant by the ad if it didn't advocate, even just in theory, "altering of borders." On the other hand, it's just a vodka ad.

The advertising firm that created the Absolut Reconquista ad is Teran/TBWA. Teran is based in Mexico City. The company’s website has a statement of philosophy advocating “disruption” as a “tool for change” and “agent of growth.”

Scarp, you're kidding, right? There is nothing new about this map. It is the actual pre-1848 map. Get it? :)

Yes, LOL, that was a joke Truly. Obviously it bombed! I was saying that, according to this map, all of the millions of Mexicans who are flooding out of their great country to live in the country stealing United States will not have as far to travel should they decide to go to Canada instead.

Yes, LOL, that was a joke Truly. Obviously it bombed! I was saying that, according to this map, all of the millions of Mexicans who are flooding out of their great country to live in the country stealing United States will not have as far to travel should they decide to go to Canada instead.

We welcome all newcomers.

There's LEGAL immigration and ILLEGAL immigration. I don't think they should be compared.

I'm not Truly, but I think the point was not about comparing illegal and legal immigration but rather one about who was there first.

ETA - I'm not condoning illegal immigration, it's a separate issue.

Absolutely.

As far as their apology, I have four words:

Too little. Too late.

This will affect their market penetration and their bottom line. Which is fine with me. It's a big company (Mrs. is in the liquor distribution business, she's seen this as have a lot of other folks in the business), but there are a LOT of vodkas in the market.

To hell with Absolut. I know all about La Raza and their plans.

Well, I've never been a big fan of their products, but I really hope they suffer for this.

I anxiously await the map they will produce for their Middle East distributors. Much hilarity will ensue, I'm sure.

Oh definitely! It'll be something wonderfully, "tongue in cheek" and "clever" like this one.

We welcome all newcomers.

WHOA!! Not so fast, pretty sure I have a say. My hubby pays max taxes because of his income which supports our social services system, and skin colour aside, we are so frustrated with super sized houses with 10 families living there collecting monthly cheques from said agency all the while working under the table for contstruction or trucking companies:furious:

J.

Holding this thread as proof: to get attention and people's tongues wagging. Of course, they have made a statement about this and pointed out that this was only ran in Mexico and aimed at the Mexican market... that it is nothing more than another round of their artistic label campaigns. Well, yes, it is artistic in the truest vain of Absolut being known for putting art on their bottles and ads... but one can't tell me that Absolut didn't realize that it would cause an uproar. They knew it... they know it... but I don't think they realized at how huge the uproar would get and that it would turn to bite them on the bum.

One thing is for sure: this kind of uproar just increased the value of this particular bottle label and ad, alone. Collectors will be scrambling to own it...

Great post. It really is a fsacinating ad. And it made me laugh! Three cheers for whoever came up with it and got people's tongues going!

WHOA!! Not so fast, pretty sure I have a say. My hubby pays max taxes because of his income which supports our social services system, and skin colour aside, we are so frustrated with super sized houses with 10 families living there collecting monthly cheques from said agency all the while working under the table for contstruction or trucking companies:furious:

J.

Okay, okay, I know, its not that simple and I should know better.
:slap: (that's me swatting myself).

There are for sure people who take legal and illegal advantage of "the system" here and in the U.S. and likely every other country in the world, but that includes native born Canadians and Americans. I see this everyday in my own job. There's so much that could be said (and has been said) on this topic but the bottom line for me is the same as I began, its just not that simple, these issues are very complex.

I should have said I was speaking for myself, not all Canadians. I like living in one of the most multicultural cities in the world.

Hmmm, the ad simply depicts the historical boundaries of Mexico when the Spanish colony was at the zenith of its territorial expansion just prior to losing the Oregon Territory (which comprised British Columbia, Washington State, Oregon and part of northern California) to the British. So what the ad means to convey is "in an Absolut world Mexico would still be that huge country". It's not a map of a planned expansion and has nothing to do with illegal immigration as many of the areas on the map have very little Mexicans living there and some of the areas where they are living in numbers are not on the map.

If Absolut would like to compete with other types of alcohol that are sold more frequently in Mexico, they needed to come up with an ad campaign that would get an overwhelmingly positive response from Mexican citizens. Do you really think Absolut thought they would boost sales if the ad simply depicted a historical map of little significance? This ad taps into a very large movement, a widespread sentiment, and an attitude that the U.S. should give back stolen land. That's what Absolut was counting on.

What's interesting about the movement is that no one wants to discuss the part where once they get the land back and based on what they have done so far, what in the hell are they going to do with it?

That's why I made the comment about Absolut providing a map that shows a new Northwest route into Canada.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back