New female addition to texas death row

Do you agree with the way the death penalty is conducted?

• Total voters
I disagree with the death penalty. There is so much about the brain that we do not yet know. There could be people on death row now or people who have already been executed who medical science will one day discover had brain abnormalities and were not responsible for their actions. There are so many people in history who have been executed who doctors have later believed had medical or psychiatric problems. I also believe that the death penalty is degrading to humanity. We are supposed to be better than murderers and yet so many people advocate putting another person to death with the state as executioner. Another problem I have with the death penalty is the possibility of mistakes and innocent people forfeiting their lives for the crimes of others. Judges, juries, lawyers and police may strive to be fair and impartial but they are nonetheless fallible human beings. We all are. Humans are not Vulcans governed by cold hard logic but are influenced by prejudices, emotions and the desire for vengeance. We all make mistakes and it is horrible to know that our mistakes can cost another their life. This has happened in the US. Innocent people have been executed and sometimes their innocence was not realised and proven for several years later. In Australia we do not have the death penalty so my opinions are naturally influenced by culture. A lot of people here have expressed their support for the death penalty and I respect that viewpoint. I just thought I would share the reasons why I believe differently.

IMO, the death penalty is a much easier sentence than having to spend the rest of your life behind bars with the bare minimum of contact with other human beings.
I agree with that, but the reason I think it should continue is for the loved ones left behind. Once that has been terminated, the family/friends no longer have to worry about seeing that person on TV, hearing that person say they are innocent, going thru appeals. Once they are gone, they are gone and the loved ones can hopefully live their lives more peacefully.

I disagree with the death penalty. There is so much about the brain that we do not yet know. There could be people on death row now or people who have already been executed who medical science will one day discover had brain abnormalities and were not responsible for their actions. There are so many people in history who have been executed who doctors have later believed had medical or psychiatric problems. I also believe that the death penalty is degrading to humanity. We are supposed to be better than murderers and yet so many people advocate putting another person to death with the state as executioner. Another problem I have with the death penalty is the possibility of mistakes and innocent people forfeiting their lives for the crimes of others. Judges, juries, lawyers and police may strive to be fair and impartial but they are nonetheless fallible human beings. We all are. Humans are not Vulcans governed by cold hard logic but are influenced by prejudices, emotions and the desire for vengeance. We all make mistakes and it is horrible to know that our mistakes can cost another their life. This has happened in the US. Innocent people have been executed and sometimes their innocence was not realised and proven for several years later. In Australia we do not have the death penalty so my opinions are naturally influenced by culture. A lot of people here have expressed their support for the death penalty and I respect that viewpoint. I just thought I would share the reasons why I believe differently.

i absolutely respect this position-for as much as i realize that the death penalty is NOT the response of a necessarily evolved, sophisticated society, I am pulled towards it by the simple idea of what do we do with those who cannot be "fixed?" And who are terribly, terribly dangerous to those around them...is it enough to lock them away and continue to spend resources on them that would be well used on others?

In our current system, it is probably infinitely more expensive to give someone the DP then it would be to give them LWOP. They have a guaranteed appeals process with guaranteed representation and all of the costs involved in that...i know that this is a desiccated response rather than considering the value of the life of the offender, but I am honestly conflicted on what I think is the best approach.

I cannot find a thread on the original case-this 38 year old woman had 14 children, 7 of which were living with her husband? And how does the boyfriend come into play here...OMG-watch out Riley Sawyer's mom....

If I remember correctly, the state isn't going after the DP in her case. :furious: I need to go back and look at Riley's thread.

I am another Californian who believes it needs reforming. I disagree with years and years of appeals, tax-payer money down the toilet keeping these creeps alive.

I saw from the results that I am not the only person who disagrees with the death penalty but I am the only such person to speak up so far, I think.

I believe that the death penalty should be done away with completely. No, I will not then move on to attacking life without parole (as someone claimed in a different subject). I do believe that there are human beings so dangerous that the only thing to do with them is to keep them separated from society.

I believe that it is wrong to take a human life in cold blood (self defence is a different matter). I believe that to reason that some other human being deserves to be killed is exactly the same reasoning many murderers use. The fact that the weapon used is the death penalty doesn't change the basic reasoning.

I am against the death penalty in part because of my own desire to be a better human being. I don't want to live in a world where it is considered okay to kill human beings, so it is incumbent upon me to live the change I want so far as I am capable.

I'm in your corner - I just didn't speak up because I think the pro-death people are tired of hearing from me. :)

Kiki-
Do you believe that the man who killed Dierdre Kennedy back in the seventies up in Ipswitch should not be given the death sentence?
I assume since you are an Aussie you know about this case.
Any man that would steal a baby from her crib and do what he did to her is unjustifiable and should be put to death. She was little and had no defense .... doesn't that justify a death penalty?
What if something of this nature happened in your family or to your kids.... I wouldn't be so quick to judge and worry about someone's brain not functioning properly..... An eye for an Eye. It's against God and the ten commandments....

Just a thought........

I personally know and lived next door to a member of the family that was there that night...... He continually tortures the Mom in this case and makes a mockery out of the family. That just isn't right. That was their little baby......

I think its safe to say that anyone who tortures and murders people are not right in the head.
We need a referendum down here on the DP debate..Baker and Crump should have been put to death just as Anita Cobbys murderers should be in their grave....the list goes on.

I think the DP needs to be reformed.

I'm all for it, if, it was uniform, across all States.

As it stands now, our major DP lovin States will give someone the DP for just about anything. CA, FL, and TX DR is packed. FL is different than all other States in that, it only takes a majority of the jurors to vote for death.

The DP was supposed to be reserved for the worst of worst. All of the other States reserve it for just that.

Have you all ever taken a look at the DR numbers for all States and compared them? Most States only have a handful. With a couple of others having around a 100.

I am another Californian who believes it needs reforming. I disagree with years and years of appeals, tax-payer money down the toilet keeping these creeps alive.

I disagree with decades of appeals for people who were convicted based on solid DNA.

I don't think the States should even be able to seek the DP if they don't have it in the first place. I'd like to be 100% sure someone is guilty prior to killing them. Not kill them because circumstances, witnesses, bad alibi, and a prior record says that they did it.

I think the DP needs to be reformed.

I'm all for it, if, it was uniform, across all States.

As it stands now, our major DP lovin States will give someone the DP for just about anything. CA, FL, and TX DR is packed. FL is different than all other States in that, it only takes a majority of the jurors to vote for death.

The DP was supposed to be reserved for the worst of worst. All of the other States reserve it for just that.

Have you all ever taken a look at the DR numbers for all States and compared them? Most States only have a handful. With a couple of others having around a 100.

EXCUSE ME????????

What exactly do you mean by "will give someone the DP for just about anything."

EXCUSE ME????????

What exactly do you mean by "will give someone the DP for just about anything."

EXCUSE ME, wrong terminology on my part. They will give the DP for your run of the mill type MURDER.

Sorry

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back