New Mackenzie Phillips Book Reveals Sexual Relationship With Her Father

I watched the second Oprah tonight. Chynna was clear that she was not happy about the book coming out, but that she believed Mackenzie. Chynna also made it very clear that Mackenzie is not mentally ill, but has had problems with addiction. I found that an interesting statement to make since Michelle Phillips, Chynna's mother, was the one who comment on Mackenzie's mental illness, as if that were why her story could not be true. (As if your father shooting you up at 12 then raping you as a young adult wouldn't make a person prone to mental illness ill.) And when I heard Bijou's statement read I realized that she'd never said that it just could not be true, that she did not believe her sister. Victims of abuse often recant their stories at some point when they realize what a Pandora's box they've opened by telling.

By the way, is anyone reading the book? I'm about to finish Bitter Harvest (which I read about on the book thread here and do recommend) and am wondering what I'll read next.

I personally won't read it. I wasn't likely to before all this, and see no reason to now that the big shocker has already been revealed around the net/news/talks shows for free.

Here's what I got from MP on Oprah. Daddy caught her shooting up, (the wrong way) when she was very young. He tied her off (arm) and showed her the right way to shoot drugs and not kill herself. (my opinion wavers on this good/bad)
She also said, IIRC that he never injected her with drugs, showing me he did have personal boundaries with her. IMO I don't think she knows much of what really went on sexually between her and John.
What a mess....
If I have any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me.

IMO

Im happy to pass my copy on when Im finished with it this week!

Mackenzie Phillips: I was high on TODAY
Actress admits in tell-all book that she shot up heroin before appearance
Video

By Mike Celizic
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 10:19 a.m. ET, Sat., Sept . 26, 2009
It is not, Mackenzie Phillips said, either as simple or as reprehensible as the news stories make it seem. Her father, John Phillips, was not a monster, and that 10-year “affair” she is said to have had with him is not as easily categorized as it would seem.

“My father was not a bad man. He was a very sick man,” Phillips told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Thursday in one of a series of interviews about her tell-all book, “High on Arrival,” and her folk-rock superstar father, “Papa John” Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32999954/ns/today-today_people/

Here's what I got from MP on Oprah. Daddy caught her shooting up, (the wrong way) when she was very young. He tied her off (arm) and showed her the right way to shoot drugs and not kill herself. (my opinion wavers on this good/bad)
She also said, IIRC that he never injected her with drugs, showing me he did have personal boundaries with her. IMO I don't think she knows much of what really went on sexually between her and John.
What a mess....
If I have any of this wrong, please feel free to correct me.

IMO

I think she said that he shot her up in the arm once, but it went into the muscle instead of the vein and her whole arm went numb. Next time he walked in on her trying to shoot up in her leg/ankle, but she was doing it wrong. He said he would not do it for her, but he'd walk her though it.

I think she was saying or indication that she did know what went on between her and her father sexually, but not at first when she was drugged up.

Sorry this is late but I did finish "High On Arrival" and it was GREAT!
The 'relationship':sick: between MP & JP is soooo downplayed.MP is NOT trying to cash in-trust me.Its clear she writes about it to demonstrate just how f'ed up her life was/has been & its the media who seized onto it as shes not detailed & doesnt hype it.Shes very low key about it if you can be low key when it comes to incest.Her biggest issue was HER own horrific drug use(she shot up daily during her pregnancy...........as did JP's third wife,the one who claims MP is lying......she,wifey #3 is QUITE a piece of work)& consequences(she was raped & kidnapped TWICE).She clearly(for better or for worse)associated with it.She still loves her Father although shes come to terms with his flaws.This was a brave,refreshing book & you really find yourself rooting for MP!

I feel for any abuse survivor who has the courage to speak out about what was done. Society just does not want to hear about it and quickly begins to point a finger at the victim.
No wonder so many remain silent!

VB

Who was kidnapped and raped? Mac or the 3rd wife?

Who was kidnapped and raped? Mac or the 3rd wife?
Sorry for the confusion!
Mac was on two seperate occasions she remembers (its obvious in her heavily drug induced state she was used & abused for years! :()
Thats the thing about her......she freely admits theres alot she cant remember due to the horrifying & deadly levels of drugs she used daily for years.
I mentioned the Step Mother (JP's wife AFTER Michelle)as she too ,alongside MP,shot up daily while pregnant & is totally out there (she & JP lost custody of their first child to Michelle,JP's previous wife)yet she has spoken out against MP.
Just wanted to point out the public kettle calling!;)
Fascinating & engrossing book.You can literally see how she got where she is & how her Fathers death triggered her last relapse(after like 15 years sober)
MP is so brave.......totally recommend this for survivors,those in recovery,loved ones of those in recovery & you nosy celebrity watchers(heeheehee)!

Thanks. I knew Michelle was raising at least one child not her own, but did not realize it was the child of John's third wife. What a mess!

Sorry this is late but I did finish "High On Arrival" and it was GREAT!
The 'relationship':sick: between MP & JP is soooo downplayed.MP is NOT trying to cash in-trust me.Its clear she writes about it to demonstrate just how f'ed up her life was/has been & its the media who seized onto it as shes not detailed & doesnt hype it.Shes very low key about it if you can be low key when it comes to incest.Her biggest issue was HER own horrific drug use(she shot up daily during her pregnancy...........as did JP's third wife,the one who claims MP is lying......she,wifey #3 is QUITE a piece of work)& consequences(she was raped & kidnapped TWICE).She clearly(for better or for worse)associated with it.She still loves her Father although shes come to terms with his flaws.This was a brave,refreshing book & you really find yourself rooting for MP!

Thanks for this review, Vespa. I would like to read this book!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back