NH NH - Charles, 3, & William Vosseler, 2, Rochester, 9 Oct 1986

I'm a journalist in Wisconsin. A few years ago, I worked with Ruth Parker to try to get her story out there. Long story short, this is a parental abduction where the father, nor the sons he stole from their mother, were ever found. The FBI does not believe Charlie would have hurt or killed his sons. Her sons are probably alive. They probably have no idea they were kidnapped. They probably have no idea their mom has been longing for them, searching for them, for decades.

I don't know if Ruth has submitted her DNA to GEDmatch (it has been submitted to Ancestry). I'm positive someday they could find her boys through familial DNA.

Forgive my work here, looking back it's a little corny and there are so many ways I would do this story differently - mostly because of experience gained! This is the first cold case I ever got to tackle in my career, and it still haunts me.

Video link: WKOW Still Searching from Ed Reams on Vimeo
Text version of my story:
A Wisconsin woman needs your help finding her missing sons, abducted 30 years ago, who could be anywhere in the nation... and have no idea who they are.

Ruth Parker is searching for the most precious things she's ever held in her arms. She's searching for her two kids, taken from her in 1986.

“On October 9 of this year, I'm 30 years in,” said Parker. “I don't even know that they're still alive."

Her babies were only three and two years old when they were taken. “CJ was wonderful,” Parker beamed. “I would have to walk the floor with Billy, and he would put his hand in my pocket, CJ would, and he walked with me. Along to help the baby."

It was a magazine in Madison, while Ruth was working for the library in the 1970s and 1980s, that would eventually turn her life upside down. She had mainly worked in “helping professions,” she explained, and didn't meet a lot of men that way. When she had decided she was ready to get married and settle down, she took advice from a friend, and picked up a magazine. “Found an ad in the Mother Earth News that appealed to me and we started corresponding," Parker said.

After letter-writing, phone calls, and a few trips, Ruth moved to New Hampshire to marry Charlie Vosseler, the man from the Mother Earth News ad. Ruth and Charlie would have two bouncing baby boys. Eventually though, they went their separate ways, as so many couples do.

Fast forward to October 1986, when Ruth reported the boys' abduction to Rochester, New Hampshire, police. At first they didn't see this as a kidnapping at all… because CJ and Billy were taken by their father.

“He [Rochester officer] said to me words I will never forget... which is 'what's the big deal? They're with their dad.'” Charlie had picked up his kids for a weekend visit, never to come back.

“Children just shouldn't be treated as cattle and as property of their parents, and shouldn't be hurt,” cried Ruth.

Parental abduction wasn't taken as seriously in the 1980s as it is today. “The officer's face was kind of stunned,” remembered Ruth. “At that point, child abduction wasn't much in the news, in the press, anything of the sort. Let alone parental abduction wasn't known well at all.”

It took Ruth seven months to get the FBI involved, and they've had the case ever since. The bureau still offers a $25,000 reward for information leading to Charlie's capture.

Authorities have only gotten really close to catching Charlie once. In 1986, a woman in Oklahoma saw CJ and Billy on a poster and reported that she was dating their father, and he told her never to talk about the boys' mother because she had died in a terrible accident. He was using fake names for himself and the boys, and even had I.D. to match.

But by the time the FBI got to Stillwell, Oklahoma, 11 days after she called… it was too late. “The property he'd been living in had been burned to the ground, as well as the vehicle that was in the yard,” said Parker. “He was in the wind again."

While the FBI keeps looking for Charlie, CJ and Billy, Ruth buries her heartache. “You can't stay in that worry place. It's crippling,” Ruth said as her eyes welled up. “In order to do this, to find your kids, you cannot be crippled. You need to work and fight and research and do what you need to do."

Even if the boys, now men, are found, Ruth's story may not have the fairy-tale ending you might want. “In the beginning, you had those kinds of thoughts. Their little legs running down the street and you getting to scoop them up,” Parker said. “Now... I don't know that I have that vision."

Ruth has said she wouldn't even push for a relationship between her and her sons. She said she knows Charlie has traumatized them, and she doesn't want to traumatize them any further. “I'd like to have a relationship with them, but that's up to them at this point. They are adults."

But until that day, this mother wanders through life... still searching. “I need to find them. It is more than a want, it is a need. I need to find them."

Ruth said after all these years, she doesn't really care what happens to Charlie. To her, this is about her boys.

It could be as simple as knowing someone who looks like those age progression renderings, and has never known their mom's side of the family, and helping them do some digging. That person you help could be one of Ruth's sons.

Ruth has also done an Ancestry.com DNA test, thinking maybe CJ or Billy will be curious about the other half of their family, and take one themselves. She got her results back already, and so far she hasn't been linked with her sons.

CJ and Billy probably have different names, and could be anywhere in the country. The more people who hear Ruth's story, the higher the chance her boys hear about it too.

I’m reminded of that case a couple years ago, when a teenager discovered that he wasn’t who his father said he was.

While applying to colleges, his guidance counselor couldn’t figure out why several universities were unable to verify his social security number.

After running his information through the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children database, they found his missing poster.

Obviously that time has come and gone in this particular case, but that’s probably because this happened so long ago.

I love the DNA angle, and am a bit surprised the mother hasn’t found a match yet.

I think in order to increase the odds of finding a match down the line, she should buy kits from the other companies (23andMe, MyHeritage, etc).

Each company keeps its own database, and most people don’t turn around and upload their results to GED Match.

It’s gotta be a matter of time until these guys upload their DNA, or their offspring does.

The clock is obviously ticking though.

Have any of you tried searching for "William Vosseler" on Facebook? I did, and the guy that came up totally looks like the age-progression to 32 on The Charley Project, in my opinion. Apparently he's an actor who's on IMDB, and has his own YouTube Channel too, using the same headshot as on his FB.

BTW, one of the photos visible on his FB profile, is of two young boys. Could this be William and his brother Charles?
Never mind him- look up Bill Vosseler and look at the guy with no friends and who never posted from 2012

I’m reminded of that case a couple years ago, when a teenager discovered that he wasn’t who his father said he was.

While applying to colleges, his guidance counselor couldn’t figure out why several universities were unable to verify his social security number.

After running his information through the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children database, they found his missing poster.

Obviously that time has come and gone in this particular case, but that’s probably because this happened so long ago.

I love the DNA angle, and am a bit surprised the mother hasn’t found a match yet.

I think in order to increase the odds of finding a match down the line, she should buy kits from the other companies (23andMe, MyHeritage, etc).

Each company keeps its own database, and most people don’t turn around and upload their results to GED Match.

It’s gotta be a matter of time until these guys upload their DNA, or their offspring does.

I used to develop the genetic tests for a major children's hospital and we would often do studies where we had DNA from kids and parents. About 1:20 kids were not related to the father that was printed on their birth certificates or provided by their mother. Some of my friends in the field relayed to me similar findings (not published). We found one little boy in my ten years there that was not related to either the father or the mother (that would put those odds at something like 1:10,000). That baby had been mixed up at the hospital. Ironically you are not allowed to give that info to the parents unless they specifically ask you that question.

DNA is an awesome technology to solve this one but I fear she might have to wait for her grandchildren to upload their DNA.

Did his family have absolutely no contact from him all these years?

I used to develop the genetic tests for a major children's hospital and we would often do studies where we had DNA from kids and parents. About 1:20 kids were not related to the father that was printed on their birth certificates or provided by their mother. Some of my friends in the field relayed to me similar findings (not published). We found one little boy in my ten years there that was not related to either the father or the mother (that would put those odds at something like 1:10,000). That baby had been mixed up at the hospital. Ironically you are not allowed to give that info to the parents unless they specifically ask you that question.

DNA is an awesome technology to solve this one but I fear she might have to wait for her grandchildren to upload their DNA.

Did his family have absolutely no contact from him all these years?

Long ago in a galaxy far away I worked in a state's office of Child Support Enforcement with a paternity establishment caseload. You're right.

Don't think this would apply quite here, except that Mr. Vosseler perhaps wasn't born with that name.

The wait for a match could be very long, indeed.

JMHO YMMV LRR

You're thinking of Aric Austin. Kidnapped by dad as infant.

Just watched this story on discovery +/ID with Tamara Hall. I had never heard of it before tonight. I feel terrible for Ruth and am shocked that this still hasn’t been solved. I realize it was much easier to change your identity and disappear back in the 80’s but I would figure that would be much harder to keep secret now days. I wonder if Charlie destroyed everything that the kids might find that would link Ruth to the kids.

I am shocked that his parents went along with all of this and even aided in his disappearance. As a mother, I don’t know that I could go along with that, knowing the pain it would cause for Ruth. And is there any other relatives or did he completely cut them all off? Because I can’t imagine there’s not 1 family member who wouldn’t tip off the truth to the boys or spill the beans at some point. It really makes me think there really isn’t family left or they severed those ties.

I hope Ruth gets to reunite with her sons before it’s too late. Breaks my heart.

I'd like to point out something that probably hasn't been considered. The only sighting of Charles Vosseler and the boys was in Stilwell, Oklahoma. Stilwell is in Adair County. Adair County, Oklahoma is also home to Elohim City. Elohim City is known to hide people running from the law. Timothy McVeigh was known to spend time there. Most white supremacists on federal death row in the last 40 years have spent time there. It would be an ideal place to hide out.

Is the consensus that the boys were not murdered and are likely still alive?
I do think they are still alive,grew up under a narcissistic father,who changed their names,lives,IDs .

Hopefully,one day they realise,that -whatever is being told,there is more to it,and start searching...
I do,from time till time,wishing a good day for Ruth and her sons,to know that their mom ,always kept a warm kinder heart

And Then They Were Gone Podcast​

just released an episode about CJ's and Billy's disappearance.

CJ AND BILLY VOSSELER​

Dec 2
We’ve all heard of people who have used children as pawns in a divorce. Maybe they’re fighting on visitation or child support payments because they don’t want to give their soon-to-be ex what they want. But in some extreme cases, the animosity and need for control can be destructive. Charles Vosseler needed to be in charge. He needed to decide where his two sons, 3-year-old CJ, and 2-year-old Billy, were at all times. So when it was clear that his marriage to his wife, Ruth, wasn’t working out, Charles hatched a plan.
On October 9, 1986, this plan culminated in him kidnapping his children and keeping them hidden for decades. Over the past 30-plus years, Ruth has never given up on her children. Today, at age 75, she is still out there fighting to keep their names and their faces in the public consciousness, in hopes of finally bringing them home.

Join the discussion on this episode here

There is a $25,000 reward offered to anyone who can provide information leading to the location of Charles Vosseler, CJ, or Billy. If you have any information, please contact your local FBI Field Office, your local American Embassy or Consulate, or the Rochester Police at 603-335-7529.

Se ofrece una recompensa de $ 25,000 a cualquiera que pueda proporcionar información que conduzca a la ubicación de Charles Vosseler, CJ o Billy. Si tiene alguna información, comuníquese con la oficina local del FBI, la embajada o el consulado estadounidense local o la policía de Rochester al 603-335-7529.

A Christmas Wish: Greensboro woman still searching for missing sons

“Ruth Parker spent two decades as a social worker in North Carolina’s triad region around Winston-Salem serving North Carolina’s most vulnerable children. Serving children of abuse, neglect, and even missing children from horrible home situations, Ruth worked to make a difference. It was both a labor of love and one of necessity.

IMG_2795.jpg

Helping countless innocent North Carolina children, victims of their circumstances often at the hands of loved ones, was not only a calling, it was also cathartic, especially at Christmas.

Now in retirement and living in Davidson County as she has for more than two decades, Ruth still has one final mission when it comes to children. Finding her own. Ruth’s two sons have been missing for 36 years. Now in her mid-70s and she is determined to be reunited with them before it is too late.”

From time till time,I search with the hope to see that her wish will be granted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back