NH NH - Connecticut River Valley Killer (1980s)

The case against the two cases sharing a common attacker is that if Moore's killer was indeed the young military cadet, he couldn't have been Boroski's assailant, as the victim there clearly described her would-be killer as driving a vehicle with New Hampshire plates. (The Moore suspect lived in Vermont.)

I'm still inclined to believe the Moore murder and Boroski attempt were unrelated, which is frightening due to how incredibly savage both crimes were, but stranger things have happened.

I know this is an older post, but as someone who grew up in the area, the license plates really is not a stumbling block. Keene, NH is a major shopping destination for people who live in Bellows Falls, Vermont. Saxtons River being just down the road from Bellows Falls, same general community. Swanzey likewise just a few miles from Keene. People move back and forth across the river, so say a vehicle could have NH plates and have ben registered in Walpole, NH ( as an example), and all you do is cross a short bridge, and you're in Bellows Falls, or Westminster, Vermont. Few miles down the road? Saxtons River, and the Moore home.

People often do not bother changing their plates when they move, at least not right away.

Just a thought.....

Following, but non-local so having a very hard time narrowing down 'house with signs' and 'witches castle' (finding them) to recovery/murder locations. Is it possible for someone to be a wee bit more specific in all these posts about them for us who come from away? It's hard to add any thoughts or ideas that may otherwise be relevent.

Following, but non-local so having a very hard time narrowing down 'house with signs' and 'witches castle' (finding them) to recovery/murder locations. Is it possible for someone to be a wee bit more specific in all these posts about them for us who come from away? It's hard to add any thoughts or ideas that may otherwise be relevent.
Sure. I'm no familiar with the "witches castle", at least not by that name? I'm new to this thread, so will try to find what you're talking about.

The house with strange signs is in Kellyeville, on the John Stark Highway, which is the main road between Claremont, NH and Newport, NH. You're almost in Newport when you pass this house, and Kelleyville is the name of a small division, sort of like a village, except Newport, NH is a town of a few thousand people. I'm actually not sure if Kelleyville is officially anything now, or just retains the name. Personally, I would just say I was in Newport at that point, but I am not a Newport native and I think they have pretty specific thoughts on things, so.... (Haha)

It is about 10 miles between Claremont and Newport. I'm not clear on the guy's name that lives in that house, or lived in that house, but I have heard stories and none are good.

There are a few ways to drive to all of the possibly linked sites, and you could easily hit them in all in a day. I've personally lived in a few of the towns when younger, and it would have been no big deal to zip between them.

Hartland Vermont is not far from Dartmouth College, or Dartmouth Medical Center. People think nothing of driving from Keene, NH (which is near Swanzey, NH where the one young woman was stabbed and survived) and working at Dartmouth. People think nothing of living in Claremont or Newport and shopping in Keene, or commuting for work. Same with Saxtons River Vermont area to any of those locations. (Although I tend to agree Lynda Moore's case just seems different.)

I hope this helps.

Back to add something to this post.From the wiki on the CRVK, " re: Fried's remains were found in a wooded area near the banks of the Sugar River in Kelleyville in September of the following year. Postmortem examination revealed evidence of multiple stab wounds and probable sexual assault.[2] " The house with the signs is basically on the river bank........

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.16.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.16.27 PM.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
So....the victim who was hitchhiking to Newport, in theory likely would have been on the John Stark (i.e. rt 103) at some point. That is the way most people would travel between Claremont and Newport.

Here is a map which also may help. Claremont, NH to Saxtons River, VT I will put Swanzey, NH in a second image:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.09.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.09.34 PM.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Newport, NH to Swanzey, NH :

(you can go more than one way. i.e. you can go to Claremont, NH and follow the path above.....and cut over)

Unity NH is along this route (n July 25, 1981, 37-year-old Mary Elizabeth Critchley, a student from the University of Vermont, disappeared near Interstate 91 at the Massachusetts-Vermont border, where she had been hitchhiking to Waterbury, Vermont. On August 9, her body was found in a wooded area off Unity Stage Road in Unity, New Hampshire. Owing to the condition of the body, the medical examiner was unable to determine a cause of death.[1][2])

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.11.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.11.32 PM.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Claremont, NH to Swanzey, NH:

(Rt 12 is included here, so even though she was heading from Claremont to Newport, from the sounds, she began hitching on the upper end of Rt 12, heading into Claremont on that part of town. ) 17-year-old nurse's aide Bernice Courtemanche was last seen by her boyfriend's mother in Claremont on May 30, 1984. She was thought to have set out to see her boyfriend in Newport by hitchhiking along New Hampshire Route 12. She did not reach her destination and was subsequently reported missing.[3] In April 1986, a fisherman happened upon Courtemanche's remains.[3] Forensic examination uncovered evidence of knife wounds to the neck[3] and an injury to the head.[4

Also, Ellen Fried's car was found on Jarvis Road, on 12A, which sounds pretty close to where Bernice started hitching? If I understand correctly? The red in that image is the hospital where Ellen Fried worked.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.13.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.13.21 PM.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.48.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.48.51 PM.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Saxtons River, VT to Swanzey, NH: (Lynda Moore)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.14.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.14.13 PM.png
    185.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.15.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 4.15.12 PM.png
    354.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've always wondered a bit about Gary Schaefer - Wikipedia being involved in some of these as well, but assume law enforcement would have really gone over that possibility.....

The case of Jane Boroski. What evidence is there that the man who attacked her was CRVK?

"30 miles south of Claremont," West Swanzey, NH the location of the attack is nowhere near Claremont, about 45 miles away, it is few miles from Keene NH. This attack differs in one key aspect CRVK never left his victims at the place of their attack, the hallmark of this case is the fact that CRVK dumped the bodies in the secluded woodlands of VT and NH.

Boroski described this attack as following: the man approached here in the car asked her a question the tried rip her out of the car when she struggled he stopped turned and away. Boroski left the vehicle and yelled "Hey ." At this point the man turned back around and proceeded to stab her repeatedly eventually leaving her returning to his car and driving away.

If it was CRVK why didn't he take the body?

Most importantly is the location which is the farthest of all the victims from CRVK's hunting grounds. Is it possible that this was some sort of copy cat? This was after all at the height of hysteria surrounding this case in 88.
I believe that Lynn Marie Carty, had/has it wrong! Jane B. herself now is saying just that.
She has a podcast and where she clearly states it is NOT Michael Nicholaou!
Check it out on her page called Invisible Tears.

I dated a guy (DC) back when all of this was happening, and he and his best friend (TH) were questioned about these murders.....
I know this because, I was asleep in a parked car with the two of them,they used to cruise around all of the time, it was the in thing to do back then.
When suddenly we hear a knock on the car window.......I was exhausted and asleep as I was pregnant with my first child, his child.
With my head on his lap,(my ex) the officer asked my ex now, to wake me up to make sure I was ok....I will never forget it, I thought what is this all about?.....he did and said some strange things later on that made me afraid of him and I broke up with him within 3 months, it was just to much. But before that happened,this happened.

He (my ex) who was from just over the border in Windsor VT had told me about the case of Heidi Martin, that I knew nothing of at that time...I was only 19 then.
We were staying just across from the tire place in windsor, I believe it was Good Year Tire....it has been many years.... and he introduced me to DT one of the suspects in Heidi's case....and let me tell you how scared af I was, when he said I will be right back and left me sitting there in the park with DT for 30 minutes, very strange guy to say the least.

After we broke up and I went back to Claremont where I am from,he would not leave me alone,as I was carrying his child, (long story) he stalked me outside my window....just crazy things from my past I wish to forget.
But reading this brings it all back to me, I was 19 then, I am now 53.
I really hope they catch whomever did these horrific acts of violence against these young ladies, especially since I am related in my family tree to one of them.....BC.
I was not going to even post this.....but who knows, maybe others will jog their memory. or know these initials of these people from Windsor? I will not be answering anyone, just wanted to share. I am fighting Sarcoidosis and many health issues, so wanted to put this out there and off my chest.

Hi Lynn-Marie,

I've been one of your chief critics for a long, long time now and feel like you have hopelessly compromised this case with your Michael Nicholau obsession, to the point where you've led witnesses as well as survivors (Jane Boroski, who's since ID'ed someone else as her attacker and Nicholau's surviving family members) and the general public to the foregone conclusion that Michael Nicholau and the CT River Valley Killer are one in the same. Even a cursory look at the evidence compared to the behavior patterns of Nicholau would lead in precisely the opposite direction.

Nicholau (Who I will hereby refer to as MN) has all the profile traits of a domestic abuser/mass killer than that of a serial murderer. It's important to note that he committed suicide after killing his wife, a common hallmark of the domestic murderer. It's very much a cut-and-dried case.

You also go out of your way to link MN to Gary Westover and have pressured his family into conceding that it's a possibility. His name isn't on the list of people Westover gave, though, and you well know this. Why you continue to push this assertion is beyond me.

MN was a transplant to New Hampshire, especially the area where the crimes took place. He is not known to have lived in or even visited Claremont and the places where the bodies of Courtemanche, Fried, and Morse were found were remote and not well-known even to many locals. This points directly toward someone with deep, longstanding ties to the area, which MN simply did not possess.

I already discussed the Agnew murder above, and there's no evidence to link MN to that one especially and I'm not even convinced it's a part of the original series of crimes in and around Claremont. If the Westover confession is true (and to me, that seems to be the case), when taken with the physical evidence, we have a highly disorganized offender or group, which is a stark contrast from the Claremont/Kellyville crimes, which were the work of a highly organized offender determined to leave no trace of his activities. (All three bodies were mere bones when discovered.)

I'm leaving Lynda Moore out completely because I'm 100% that one was an isolated incident and the young man that police zeroed in on in that case was most certainly the killer or, if he wasn't, someone very much like him was.

Lastly, Jane Boroski. Yet another disorganized crime that left a survivor, and the strongest feather in your case against MS due to the Jeep Wagoneer. Yes, Jane ID'ed MN, but only many years later and after much prodding by you. And let's not forget that she later fingered someone else, so one can only conclude that her recall of the attack is clouded by time and the fog of trauma. It's unfortunate, but not a unique situation.

Oh, and let's not forget your attempt to link MN to the Colonial Parkway Murders in Virginia, crimes in which the killer's motive, victimology, and signature could not be more different from the CT River Valley Killings. Never mind the fact that MN's move to VA predates the first crime in that series by less than a year. He was surely no more familiar with the backroads and waterways of the Parkway area than he was with Claremont and Kellyville in the CT River Valley region of NH, and though the Parkway crimes were investigated by a ton of different agencies and private investigators who came to conflicting conclusions at times, one thing they all agreed on was that whoever was responsible had a high level of comfort and confidence in his knowledge of local geography - something MN could not have had.

I commend your efforts, as a new set of eyes is always welcome, but respectfully, you've gotten way too close to your theory and it seems, at this point, to be driven more by ego than evidence. Michael Nicholau was not one of the CT River Valley Killers, nor was he the Colonial Parkway Killer. Instead, he was a domestic abuser, a wife-killing creep of the sort that are way too common in this world.

EDIT:
The most important thing against Nicholau is the part I left out - he lived in Massachusetts during the CT River Valley murders!
I'm leaving Lynda Moore out completely because I'm 100% that one was an isolated incident and the young man that police zeroed in on in that case was most certainly the killer or, if he wasn't, someone very much like him was.

please elaborate on this...i was Born and raised in Bellows Falls Vermont , neighboring town to Saxtons River vt . My sister and i attended Vermont Academy in the early 2000's which is located in saxtons river. Furthermore, my parents were very close to steve and lynda...My father and mother are still very close with Steve. Ive followed this case for as long as i can remember and have always heard that it was part of the CRVK ? what leads you to believe it was not ???

So I just read that they found a body yesterday in Hartford, VT (same area this killer was known to frequent) and was checking to see if there was a thread for it and I saw this thread had been updated. My heart sank for a minute.

please elaborate on this...i was Born and raised in Bellows Falls Vermont , neighboring town to Saxtons River vt . My sister and i attended Vermont Academy in the early 2000's which is located in saxtons river. Furthermore, my parents were very close to steve and lynda...My father and mother are still very close with Steve. Ive followed this case for as long as i can remember and have always heard that it was part of the CRVK ? what leads you to believe it was not ???
In essence I am leaning to agreeing on the Linda Moore crime as not involving Nicholaou. I say this as after researching and reading the Ginsberg book, I believe I have found the real name of the person they called Jeff Miller--a pseudonym as was suspected. If I found it, I suspect other can, it I am correct. But without LE confirmation or charging him, it remains JM for now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back