NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think when people talk about her "rights" some are speaking legally, while others are speaking ethically. Although legally we may be "perfectly entitled to look for her," (to quote Fireweed), I think maybe some are trying to say that they believe that ethically she should be left alone. I think the two concepts are being confused.

Well I agree with you there. My issue is that many people talk about Maura's right to disappear from a legal POV without clearly understanding the concept.

BTW, ethically speaking I have no issue looking for Maura. Rights aside, I feel it is perfectly ethical to look for someone who disappeared under Maura's circumstances. In fact, I find it terribly unethical to argue the opposite - that would should not look for Maura.

Did anyone follow the Jasmine Joseph case?

She was a college student (studying nursing) who stopped attending her college after the spring 2013 semester, but her family (who she lived with) thought up until she went missing (February 2014) that Jasmine was still attending school and doing things like attend class, go to the school library, etc. No word on what Jasmine may actually have been doing during that time.

Anyway, Jasmine was just found dead in her car due to an apparent suicide.

Reminded me a bit of Maura's case because Jasmine had been deceitful to those in her life. It was easy to theorize that she had run away due to her deceptions.

...Really it has nothing to do with Maura's case at all, but just made me think of Maura. Maura's deceptions leading up to her disappearance indicate that there could be a lot we don't know about her intentions on February 9, 2004. Then again, it may all be related to depression and unhappiness, which so many young people struggle with.

Well I agree with you there. My issue is that many people talk about Maura's right to disappear from a legal POV without clearly understanding the concept.

BTW, ethically speaking I have no issue looking for Maura. Rights aside, I feel it is perfectly ethical to look for someone who disappeared under Maura's circumstances. In fact, I find it terribly unethical to argue the opposite - that would should not look for Maura.

I agree with you completely. Were we to uncover concrete, irrefutable proof that she went voluntarily missing, though, I would feel, at that point, that I would be violating her life to pursue any further outcome. I don't need to roll up into her driveway in my 5.0 in order to find out.

Does anyone remember the Disappeared on Michelle Whitaker? She was "missing" for what, six years...? When LE found her in another state, because she was over 18 they did alert her family, but made it very clear they were not under any obligation to reveal her whereabouts. It was up to her to actually contact them if she so desired. legally they could not tell her parents etc where she was. Just made think about that....
However, if so many resources are being used to find Maura, if she is truly not missing it should be made public. Those resources could go towards other missing people!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Does anyone remember the Disappeared on Michelle Whitaker? She was "missing" for what, six years...? When LE found her in another state, because she was over 18 they did alert her family, but made it very clear they were not under any obligation to reveal her whereabouts. It was up to her to actually contact them if she so desired. legally they could not tell her parents etc where she was. Just made think about that....
However, if so many resources are being used to find Maura, if she is truly not missing it should be made public. Those resources could go towards other missing people!

I think the only person using resources to find her is James Renner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not her fault, though. She's an adult, and adults have the right to go missing. (If that's what she did.) Legally she has never lost her right to privacy, nor has she committed a crime.

If she is alive and wants her privacy, she should call the NH state police and tell them she is alive and well. They will check it out to assure her identity and pass the word to her family. LE will probably not disclose her location if she doesn't want any contact with family and friends.

I seriously doubt Maura is alive. It is a hope that she is alive and anything is possible, but I don't think she would torture her family in this way.

JMO

can someone clear this up for me though:

i thought if a person went voluntarily missing and was located by the police, they had the right to say they did not want their location to be revealed, but that the authorities would still notify whomever filed the MP report that this person was not in fact missing?

there may not always be a huge media circus around the fact that a person has been found to have disappeared voluntarily, and potentially a family could go on appealing to the media to "find" their "missing" loved one, but at least from official stand point, after the point of notification, the person would (or should) be removed from all MP databases, therefore ensuring no one wastes time thinking a UID is this person. I often see people quietly removed from places like NamUs, presumably because they are located one way or the other.

is this not standard procedure?

I looked into this a while back and I believe it is across the board that LE will not disclose the location if the "missing person" does not want any contact with family and friends.

Here is something I found from Los Angeles on their procedures:

"Once the missing person is found by police, the Department will notify the person who made the report. *However, police cannot disclose the location or whereabouts of the missing person without his or her consent."

http://www.lapdonline.org/lapd_adult_missing_persons_unit

If she is alive and wants her privacy, she should call the NH state police and tell them she is alive and well. They will check it out to assure her identity and pass the word to her family. LE will probably not disclose her location if she doesn't want any contact with family and friends.

I seriously doubt Maura is alive. It is a hope that she is alive and anything is possible, but I don't think she would torture her family in this way.

JMO

I doubt she is alive, as well.

It is hard to get inside the mindset of a person who would willingly go missing and allow loved ones to think the worst, but you would have to assume there is a "good" reason, (to them, at least,) to do so. For instance, if I had a family member that was abusing me and I couldn't see any way to get away from them, maybe I would see running as my only way out. Maybe I could justify to myself letting everyone else think I was dead just to get away from that one person...thinking it was "worth it". It certainly wouldn't be an easy or likely choice for anyone to make, but I could see, under certain circumstances, where someone could make that choice.

Obviously that was just one example where I could visualize that outcome - I'm not implying any familial abuse was taking place in Maura's case.

I think the only person using resources to find her is James Renner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, I meant search parties, LE, mostly in the beginning of her disappearance.

AFAIK, no "outside" resources were used to search for Maura other than LE and volunteers.

How would you really determine who the resources should be used for, anyway? It's kind of a moot point. If she wasn't missing, LE wouldn't be using resources to find her, because she wouldn't be...missing. Circular logic.

AFAIK, no "outside" resources were used to search for Maura other than LE and volunteers.

How would you really determine who the resources should be used for, anyway? It's kind of a moot point. If she wasn't missing, LE wouldn't be using resources to find her, because she wouldn't be...missing. Circular logic.

Wow... I'll start putting JMO at the end of every post. I do not believe Maura is alive. This is getting off point, but I was responding to other folks posts about people "missing" but not truly missing (like the Michelle Whitaker case). Look up that case and or read my first post. LE considered her missing for six years and she was not. They were questioning people etc etc for years. Happens often. "Circular logic" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member