NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 #15

Like I said I have been down most of the rabbit holes and climb back out once I hit a brick wall. I have lost count of all the rabbit holes there are, but my most recent was involving the supposed call from the Red Cross on the calling card. In my limited knowledge of calling card tracing, I believed it was not possible to trace them. If someone knows they can trace calling cards then everything after this is null and void. Anyway my most recent dive was that MM got a ride to somewhere with a pay phone. (I believe they were still around in 2004) She called B and was sobbing so hard she couldn't muster words and ran out of time on her card. She then hitched another ride to try to get her the rest of the way to where she was going and that's when she met the wrong person. Her remains could literally be anywhere. I still mostly believe she passed from hypothermia, but the rabbit holes are so intriguing with this case.

Like I said I have been down most of the rabbit holes and climb back out once I hit a brick wall. I have lost count of all the rabbit holes there are, but my most recent was involving the supposed call from the Red Cross on the calling card. In my limited knowledge of calling card tracing, I believed it was not possible to trace them. If someone knows they can trace calling cards then everything after this is null and void. Anyway my most recent dive was that MM got a ride to somewhere with a pay phone. (I believe they were still around in 2004) She called B and was sobbing so hard she couldn't muster words and ran out of time on her card. She then hitched another ride to try to get her the rest of the way to where she was going and that's when she met the wrong person. Her remains could literally be anywhere. I still mostly believe she passed from hypothermia, but the rabbit holes are so intriguing with this case.
One would have hoped that driver #1 would have come forward pretty quickly?

Perhaps driver #1 actually was driver #2 as well, in your scenario..

The thing is, that theory would only work if those woods weren't extensively searched within 4-5 days after the disappearance and they were.
Search parties miss bodies/evidence that were found in areas that had been previously searched extensively quite often. People often underestimate how easy it is to miss things and get lost in the woods. It doesn't have to be a national park to be easy to get lost in.

Search parties miss bodies/evidence that were found in areas that had been previously searched extensively quite often. People often underestimate how easy it is to miss things and get lost in the woods. It doesn't have to be a national park to be easy to get lost in.
Totally agree. The fact that an area "has been searched" does not strongly correlate to whether a body is there or not. The only assertion you can be confident in, is that if a body has been found, it was there. The converse is not true.

Search parties miss bodies/evidence that were found in areas that had been previously searched. People often underestimate how easy it is to miss things and get lost in the woods.
Well, that depends on if you think Maura even got lost in the woods.

There is much to point that she didn't.

And now we know there was a wiretap on someone's phone, and police despatch records from that night have been withheld, it does make the "she left her car and went into the woods, got lost and died in the cold" theory a bit....basic.

Something else went on.

And now we know there was a wiretap on someone's phone, and police despatch records from that night have been withheld, it does make the "she left her car and went into the woods, got lost and died in the cold" theory a bit....basic.

Something else went on.
Could be! I'm not intimate with what reasons might cause dispatch records to be withheld - guessing there might be a variety of reasons that aren't directly tied to Maura's fate, but it certainly does fan the flames of suspicion!

Could be! I'm not intimate with what reasons might cause dispatch records to be withheld - guessing there might be a variety of reasons that aren't directly tied to Maura's fate, but it certainly does fan the flames of suspicion!
And I am certainly not at all aware of why dispatch records may be withheld. Would love to know, as of course it just leads to suspicion on many counts and so it doesn't seem legal if authorities were trying to hide something they should have been transparent about. Curious what the laws are about this sort of thing...

And I am certainly not at all aware of why dispatch records may be withheld. Would love to know, as of course it just leads to suspicion on many counts and so it doesn't seem legal if authorities were trying to hide something they should have been transparent about. Curious what the laws are about this sort of thing...
Not sure why dispatch records would be withheld, and how they would point to a suspect. Aren't dispatch logs just details about the type of call, when the police were dispatched, what time they arrived, and which officers?

Not sure why dispatch records would be withheld, and how they would point to a suspect. Aren't dispatch logs just details about the type of call, when the police were dispatched, what time they arrived, and which officers?
The dispatch records wouldn't point to a suspect, they would however point to police action when the disappearance was reported which has always been shady to say the least.

Something else went on.

I missed this -- can you share links?

Thanks!

okay you guys know I am open minded about Maura , but I don't believe she ran away and changed her identity.
That said, something about this whole thing makes me wonder if someone was after her and she was taken out.
a stalker? someone who tricked her into going up there? maybe she stuck her nose into something at WP. maybe she knew something about someone and could ruin their life. you know she drove all the way up there, practically ran away from school citing a dead relative..or maybe the was bi polar and having manic episodes that she was hiding it well until she wasn't ..did she think someone was chasing her? why was she drinking so much? It doesn't seem to me that Maura's sister was together enough at the time to really know what was happening with Maura as she was having big challenges with alcoholism at the time. I do think the family was hurt badly in this and I understand they don't want to allude to any kind of real problems Maura might have had because it's probably stuff they don't want out there and they don't believe it helps Maura . Maura was a strong woman, this is what makes it hard to understand without the missing pieces.

mOO

Last edited:
I missed this -- can you share links?

Thanks!
It was from an episode of a crime and justice based podcast show called Media Pressure

On Episode 7 (of Media Pressure) MM’s sister says (regarding the father’s lawsuit for the case records):
“Although we didn't gain access to most of the records, we did learn some valuable information as a result of the court case. We learned four polygraphs were administered, one wire tap was requested, grand jury subpoenas were issued, and police logs and dispatch records were withheld because they could pinpoint a suspect.”

okay you guys know I am open minded about Maura , but I don't believe she ran away and changed her identity.
That said, something about this whole thing makes me wonder if someone was after her and she was taken out.
a stalker? someone who tricked her into going up there? maybe she stuck her nose into something at WP. maybe she knew something about someone and could ruin their life. you know she drove all the way up there, practically ran away from school citing a dead relative..or maybe the was bi polar and having manic episodes that she was hiding it well until she wasn't ..did she think someone was chasing her? why was she drinking so much? It doesn't seem to me that Maura's sister was together enough at the time to really know what was happening with Maura as she was having big challenges with alcoholism at the time. I do think the family was hurt badly in this and I understand they don't want to allude to any kind of real problems Maura might have had because it's probably stuff they don't want out there and they don't believe it helps Maura . Maura was a strong woman, this is what makes it hard to understand without the missing pieces.

mOO
The only thing that makes sense here with the info we have is if she hit PV. The call to her job may have been about him being alive, and she was very afraid of him being able to identify her car. Obviously just speculation here. Since we don't know if she hit PV. As for the drinking who knows if she was drunk when she crashed. There is no way to know how much she actually drank whilst driving.

The only thing that makes sense here with the info we have is if she hit PV. The call to her job may have been about him being alive, and she was very afraid of him being able to identify her car. Obviously just speculation here. Since we don't know if she hit PV. As for the drinking who knows if she was drunk when she crashed. There is no way to know how much she actually drank whilst driving.
so you think she was running away from the accident at the school. right?

so you think she was running away from the accident at the school.
Although she was a very terrible driver in the days before her disappearance. I don't actually think she hit PV because she was at work when it happened if I remember correctly. I will admit it doesn't make it impossible but unlikely. I was using it as something that might explain your theory.

ADMIN NOTE:

In response to a query about whether the podcast Media Pressure is allowed as a source, we generally approve any source that has an interview with family members or major case players. Long story short, Episode 7 of Media Pressure is approved for discussion in this case because Maura's sister is interviewed.

Having said that, we need the link to the episode, please and thanks :)

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

In response to a query about whether the podcast Media Pressure is allowed as a source, we generally approve any source that has an interview with family members or major case players. Long story short, Episode 7 of Media Pressure is approved for discussion in this case because Maura's sister is interviewed.

Having said that, we need the link to the episode, please and thanks :)

The entire first season has Julie Murray as the host. She interviews her father and brother’s as well as others throughout the 9 episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back