NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marisa714 said:
Ya know thats exactly what I was thinking when I read that too! Before I read that today I hadn't remembered reading about a search that seemed so professional (only word I can think of)...and I'm positive I never saw that a search was done as far as 20 miles away! Maybe that particular news station goofed or elaborated? Maybe it's right? Let me know if you find anything...I'll look too.
Although I hope to find the info about the search distances I have to confess that I got sidetracked today & tonight reading the archived posts about this case. Not being familiar with this forum I had not yet done that. I see that this case has been given alot of discussion and some quite good points were made.

I am quite certain that to do a full explanation of any complete theory (citing sources) concerning this case would need to be several posts or maybe need to be done on a webpage and linked because the complete look at the case would need to look at all possibilities & then explain & cite sources as to why some possibilities were less likely than others. I do not feel that I yet have a full understanding of the case but I do feel I am making progress.
I am impressed with the quality of posts in the archive even though there was obviously some discord. Even though we may not all at once be able to say from our computer chairs that we know the whole truth I do think that together we are peeling back the covers of darkness (what a great story title.) Hopefully we will be of some help.

I think Maura's case is pretty complex, especially when you consider the lack of information! I'm excited your being so thorough w/this! I also hope that somehow we are/will help, very much so.

Although I hope to find the info about the search distances I have to confess that I got sidetracked today & tonight reading the archived posts about this case.

Ya know...ever since I found this website I spend at least twice as much time @ my computer now b/c I read something here then want more info so I search for more info, then I see something else I want more info on and so forth! So um I just wanted to let you know that I get sidetracked everyday so your not alone hehe

10-25-05

Mja Inc

Our Missing Persons unit has become involved in the search for Miss Murray..Mja Inc staff will be meeting with Mr.Murray in the month of November..

Go to :www.geocities.com/kaz_t7/Mja_Inc

We are very excited at the chance to help in the search for Miss Murray..Mja Inc is very pleased with the way the investigation and research has developed..

Mja Inc is convinced that two avenue's and leads to follow have developed..In return this could help pin-point the person or persons involved in Miss Murray's disappearence..There wont be a shortage of " People of Interest ",thats the troubling part--too many suspects..

Our staff doesnt impose patterns!!! But we strongly feel someone has a "Blue-Print for kidnapping..We strongly feel this Blue-Print has been used more than once..The cases dont have to be related for the cases to have some of the same common factors..If you look in a 150 mile radius from where Miss Murray disappeared,you will see there are several unsolved crimes..It will become clear that this area has a problem and its been going on for years....

Some abductions and missing person cases dont fit the known national satistic's for these crimes..Sometimes cases can be related because the Prep's read the same aricle or book...Telling the Prep's step by step how to kidnap and get away clean..

The facts of Miss Murrays disappearence as we know them and with no sign of evidence found linked to Miss Murray..That could impose a pattern that you cant help but to follow..

Mja Inc--Kaz

I finally got a copy of the book "Not Without Peril" from the local library and that was one of the things I have been waiting on. It seemed senseless to try come to any conclusions without having been thorough enough to have read one of the pieces of evidence left behind.

I put this post in the wrong thread yesterday, so I thought I would put it here. My apologies to anyone who has to read it twice, but this had really bugged me about the bus driver.....

The bus driver says he came upon her in her car with hazards on (she's not completely out of it here with hitting her head or alcohol ... neither confirmed, I know). Her car is mere yards from where the guy would park his bus (from the photos on the Maura website). If I were in his shoes, I would have not have stopped my bus on slick roads, in a turn where there's already been an accident. Considering it's only gonna take an extra minute to park the bus first and walk back, that's what I would have done - get the bus safely off the road. Because, he would have actually had to stop the bus, either shut it off or set the brake and exit it to check on her.

So, I think he would have possibly parked the bus, walked back to see about her, convinced her to walk back to the house with him while he called the cops, she'd be warm, safe, close to the scene, but when they got to where the bus was parked, maybe he grabbed her, put her on the bus... This would confirm her scent right to his driveway.

Then, if I didn't misread this, he comes out when the cops arrive and actually drives around helping to look for her? Good time to dump the body or move her to another location. Claiming she did not want him to call the cops would reinforce an idea that she was "on the run" or choosing not to be found.

Was the bus ever searched? Was the dog put on the bus to search for her scent? I'm assuming the bus driver would have driven around in a personal vehicle of some sort. Was that vehicle ever searched?

Does the time frame for the bus driver work? is roughly 7 pm (or whatever the reported time was, sorry, I don't remember every detail) a reasonable time for him to be ending his route and coming home? (I have since read that this was a ski trip) Is that confirmed and does the time work? Could he actually have found her earlier, abducted her and waited some amount of time before calling the cops? Is he married or anyone else live in his house with him?

Also, he claimed she had called AAA, but it seems there was no cell signal there? Have they checked with AAA to see if they received a call?

What about the construction guy who claims to have seen her and then not seen her or whatever? Have they been in his house, on his property?

Any investigation would check these men inside and out, especially the BD since he had the most contact with her and probably was the last to see her alive. And, if they check him out and he's cleared, they're free to follow other avenues.

My heart goes out to Maura and her family. The things that are happening in our world are so wrong!! After reading alot yesterday and today, even if she was leaving to get away for the moment, I do believe her intent was to return or to contact her loved ones at some point. We've all had moments where if you could arrange to walk out the door and "disappear" for even a day, you'd do it, but very very very few people (I think) want to disappear forever.:confused:

Have found a few Maura Murray's when searching...the one you referenced above included...found this webpage with a picture of her. There was another Maura Murray in Europe, Ireland I believe, who died sometime in 2004...

Been cathcing up...some interesting new posters here and at mauramurray.com...

Grassyknoll2 said:
Have found a few Maura Murray's when searching...the one you referenced above included...found this webpage with a picture of her. There was another Maura Murray in Europe, Ireland I believe, who died sometime in 2004...

Been cathcing up...some interesting new posters here and at mauramurray.com...
Cool, glad to have you researching things. I am sort of doing a work up also,
not necessarily to reach a grand conclusion but rather to go as far down each of the branches of the tree of possibility as I can with such given info as seems trustworthy. The idea being to end up with some recommendations that might help dig up more information. That in turn might help to eliminate some possibilities altogether which in the end can help focus an investigation.

With my limited resources that seems the best I can do for now.

Is the road she had the accident on also called the "Kangamagus Highway?"

Masterj said:
Is the road she had the accident on also called the "Kangamagus Highway?"
Yes, it is. It is so called because it parallels the Kangamangus River.........which according to locals, the fog/moisture from river creates a very slippery road surface in the evenings, especially during freezing temps.

Peabody said:
Yes, it is. It is so called because it parallels the Kangamangus River.........which according to locals, the fog/moisture from river creates a very slippery road surface in the evenings, especially during freezing temps.
I thought so. As a nature lover and budding photographer, I have taken this route home from my sister's ski house in North Conway. While the scenery is absolutely exquisite in the spring and fall, I can't imagine EVER traveling this road in the winter at night if you aren't familar with the area. It is known as being one of the most dangerous New England roads, especially in the winter due to the ice and fog. I almost ran out of gas on there once and I about had a nervous breakdown. I can only imagine how terrified poor Maura must have been.

I had to have driven by her accident site and the bus driver's house numerous times. It is so odd because everytime I go that way I think about all those woods and the secrets they must hold. Maura has quickly become a part of my daily thoughts and prayers.

Masterj said:
I thought so. As a nature lover and budding photographer, I have taken this route home from my sister's ski house in North Conway. While the scenery is absolutely exquisite in the spring and fall, I can't imagine EVER traveling this road in the winter at night if you aren't familar with the area. It is known as being one of the most dangerous New England roads, especially in the winter due to the ice and fog. I almost ran out of gas on there once and I about had a nervous breakdown. I can only imagine how terrified poor Maura must have been.

I had to have driven by her accident site and the bus driver's house numerous times. It is so odd because everytime I go that way I think about all those woods and the secrets they must hold. Maura has quickly become a part of my daily thoughts and prayers.
Because the family has reported so frequently that Maura was very familiar with the White Mountains and had camped and hiked in the area on a regular basis since she was a child, it is easy to assume that she was familiar with the road she was traveling.

In fact, to the best of anyone's knowledge Maura had never traveled the section of Route 112, the Kangamangus Highway, where she went missing; addditionally she had never traveled the interstate in VT that parallels the CT. River - Maura went missing only 5 miles from Wells River VT which lies on the border of VT/NH just off of the interstate.......she was traveling this unknown route because she had begun her journey in Amherst ............. routinely she traveled from eastern MA which would have been most familiar to her.

This fact is not widely known, but it is supported by the newspaper accounts of her doing a mapquest search before she left school........in my opinion it is important to understand that Maura was in a *strange* place about an 45 minutes from what her family believes was her destination......it was that location that was a VERY familiar place.

Bring Maura Home!

Maura has been missing 21 months today.

Praying for her return and for the comfort of all those who love her.

Bring Maura Home!

I finally finished reading through the book, Not Without Peril.

docwho, can you speak more about this book? your opinion on it? a summary? :)

LillyRush said:
I am hesitant to post much about the book itself in public forum but I sent you a private message with some info in it.

I hope that helps.

LillyRush said:
docwho3 said:
I am hesitant to post much about the book itself in public forum but I sent you a private message with some info in it.

I hope that helps.
The book "Without Peril" by Nicholas Howe is a favorite of Maura's. Her father Fred gave it to her as a gift when they met Mr. Howe on one of their hiking trips in the White Mountains. The edition that was left in Maura's car was autographed by Mr. Howe.

Fred explained over and over to NH LE that although the book was about the White Mountain area and that it told the stories of some people losing their lives while hiking that it had nothing to do with or support the theory that Maura was suicidal. He told them that Maura's attraction to the book was that she had climbed each of the mountains featured in the book.

Somewhere online (sorry that I do not have the link) the boyfriend's mother told of Maura bringing the book with her on a visit to Ohio. In my opinion, that establishes the pattern that Maura took the book with her on trips; therefore it is not likely that the book, even with its stories of death, has anything to do with Maura's missing.

The book is not just about dying; it is a historical, personal and topographical profile of people trying to do the best that they can do in unexpected situations while hiking the beautiful, but dangerous White Mountains. Most of all, it is about the White Mountains which Maura so dearly loved. It is about the brave rescues, near misses and adventures of the White Mountains. Everyone that knows Maura speaks of her wonderful sense of adventure and fearlessness and understands her attraction to the book.

It is extremely important to remember that the family said from the beginning that Maura particularly identified with the stories because along with them she had hiked EVERY mountain in the Presidential Range of the White Mountains (as well as many others).

docwho3, I cannot see any reason for you to hesitate to share your opinions.

However, for those of you interested, you can listen to an interview regarding the book by the author Nicholas Howe at this link http://www.nhpr.org/node/4987

Hopefully, this will shed more light.

Bring Maura Home
www.mauramurray.com
www.spbowers.com\mauramissing.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics