NJ NJ - Betty Gladden Smith, 49, West Windsor Township, 4 Oct 1991

A408018.jpg

John David Smith
Inmate Number A408018
DOB 04/02/1951

Next Parole Board Hearing/Review: December 2019

If you have any comments or opinions for the Parole board, send them by U.S. Mail to:
Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction
Attn: Central Records
4545 Fisher Road, Suite D, Columbus
OH 43228.

John David Smith, 68, has been indicted by a grand jury for the murder of Betty Fran Smith, who disappeared out of West Windsor in 1991, Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo J. Onofri announced.

He is currently serving a state prison sentence of 15 years to life in Ohio for the murder of his first wife, Janice Hartman. The state is petitioning to have John Smith extradited to Mercer County for an arraignment on the indictment. There is no scheduled court date at this time.

This week, he was indicted on one count of first-degree murder and one count of fourth-degree tampering with evidence. Earlier this year, a New Jersey judge ordered that he pay the family of Betty Smith, whose maiden name is Betty Gladden, $1 million in a wrongful death civil lawsuit, according to Channel 19 news in Cleveland.

NJ Man Busted After Being Charged With Killing 2 Wives

Oh good! I was worried they were going to let him out on parole in December.

Betty Fran <I>Gladden</I> Smith
Betty Fran Gladden Smith
BIRTH 4 Aug 1942
Anniston, Calhoun County, Alabama, USA
DEATH Oct 1991 (aged 49)
West Windsor Township, Mercer County, New Jersey, USA
Burial Details Unknown. Specifically: Remains never found.

LINKS:

Last edited:

Authorities have dismissed the murder case against a former New Jersey man they believe killed his second wife in Mercer County in 1991, but they learned he disposed of her body shortly after her vanishing.
[…]
John Smith told the office that two days after his wife died, he put her in a dark blanket and discarded her body in an industrial dumpster at the Carborundum facility in Keasbey, Woodbridge Township, where he worked at the time, Gladden-Davis told NJ Advance Media Thursday.

Smith admitted no guilt about his wife’s demise, and said a prison head injury prevented him from remembering other details, Gladden-Davis said.

“That was his tale,” Gladden-Davis said.

Gladden-Davis, of Indiana, discussed the case with NJ Advance Media after being informed by the prosecutor’s office of the official conclusion.

The prosecutor’s office declined to discuss details of the Smith case, other than confirming the office dismissed the case last month after determining they could not overcome their burden of reasonable doubt.

According to some of her family members who gave interviews, Janice really leaned into her work as a go-go dancer when they decided to separate... Sadly, I think he was a bitter, horrible little man who couldn't stand watching her support herself and gain independence. while showing off his body (as is his right) to people who weren't him in the process.

Betty Fran was basically confined to her bed due to her hip injury the last time they saw her. Her family has stated that she believes her dependence on him during his recovery caused a dangerous power imbalance...

dirty murderer of women, old coward, he is a miserable , I hope he never gets out of jail and that he says who the woman in the photos is...
rest in peace betty

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back