NJ NJ - Newark, WhtFem 45-55, UP1480, paper w/‘Mrs Sally L Smith’, clothes, jewelry, crucifix, May’99

Coffee56

Reaction score
WARNING - PM AT LINK

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP1480Female, White / Caucasian
Date Body FoundMay 5, 1999
Location FoundNewark, New Jersey

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number07990986
Demographics
SexFemale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name --
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult
Estimated Age Range (Years)45-55
Estimated Year of Death1999
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 0"(60 inches) , Estimated
Weight151 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundMay 5, 1999
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 31, 2008
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
LocationNewark, New Jersey
CountyEssex County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Found On Tribal Land--
Circumstances of RecoveryBody found outside of 215 MIller Street in Newark, New Jersey.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsNot recognizable - Traumatic injuries
Physical Description
Hair ColorGray or Partially Gray
Head Hair DescriptionShoulder length hair tinted blonde with gray roots.
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorHazel
Right Eye ColorHazel
Eye DescriptionHazel
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Finger and toe nails
Both fingernails and toenails are painted with red polish.

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
The left ankle and left knee are braced with an Ace bandage. On top of her is a large blue scarf, with gold and blue flower designs. Attached to the bra are two small cloth bags. Two similar bags are noted in the pockets of the pants. With the body is a small purple star with a small orange pendant.
Near the Body

Clothing
Light blue pants held together with a blue elastic cloth belt made up of leather in the front, and held in place by an ordinary silver-colored buckle. One pair of pantyhose. One white long-sleeve sweater. One white long-sleeve shirt with pleats in front of it, with the appearance of a tuxedo shirt. One knitted orange underpants over a white elastic panty girde, and under it one pair of white panties. Under the white panties is a small piece of brown paper with the following written: Mrs. Sally L. Smith. White bra. Beige camisole or tank-like blouse with a V-shape neck.
On the Body

Clothing
--
Near the Body

Footwear
One pair of black shoes, sandal-type, toeless and backless with a low heel, size 9, brand name "High Lites", made in China.
On the Body

Jewelry
One small gold earring in left earlobe, with a tiny purple stone. Silver color small wristwatch, brand name "Jordache". Blackish aluminum crucifix on the neck.
On the Body

The Newark address seems to currently be a restaurant, wonder if it was a commercial area at the time she was found.

From her Doe Network page 282UFNJ

282UFNJ.jpg

Estimated Date of Death: Same day

Race: Caucasian or Hispanic

Dentals: Available (space between her two upper front teeth)
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Unknown

WARNING - POSTMORTEM COMPARISON

Hey guys, this MP is not listed among her rule-outs, but i think she looks similar and was last seen a 40 minute drive away...what do you think? it's such a close match and comes up so readily via NamUs search that I very much doubt I'm the first person to bring her up.
Stanina Ignjatovic - 54 y/o, last seen April 15 '99 in Brooklyn NY, short and stout like the UID, no mention of graying hair.
Original

Original

Stanina Ignjatovic - 54 y/o, last seen April 15 '99 in Brooklyn NY, short and stout like the UID, no mention of graying hair.

Gosh yes! Sorry I'm supposed to be working from home and should get off the site so I don't have time to go read her background, but do the other stats match up? In the PM photo the women's chin is sunk quite low, meaning we are almost looking down her nose instead of front-on, which I think gives the nose that different appearance than the MP - but in reality I don't know that there would be much difference. I wish we could see the UID's ears as they are so good for facial comparisons. On balance if the other stats seem possible to line up, I would submit.

Gosh yes! Sorry I'm supposed to be working from home and should get off the site so I don't have time to go read her background, but do the other stats match up? In the PM photo the women's chin is sunk quite low, meaning we are almost looking down her nose instead of front-on, which I think gives the nose that different appearance than the MP - but in reality I don't know that there would be much difference. I wish we could see the UID's ears as they are so good for facial comparisons. On balance if the other stats seem possible to line up, I would submit.
yes, her stats match up pretty well!
UID/Stanina
45-55 years old / 54 years old
5'0" estimate / 4'9"
151 lbs estimate / 135 lbs
hazel eyes / brown eyes
artificially dyed blonde hair with grey roots / brown hair (only area w/ discrepancy, but to me the UID looks like someone w/ brown hair who did a bad dye job trying to make their color blend in better with growing-out grey roots)
and yes agreed, the postmortem photography uses very harsh unflattering light, the person is lying flat and so the tissues sag differently, and of course they are deceased and the face relaxes and can stick in positions...no one will ever look 100% how they do in death than they did in life
Stanina Ignjatovic – The Charley Project Stanina's charleyproject page has more info on her disappearance - she was having a lot of problems with her landlord and the apartment and thus may have left voluntarily.
i will send this potential match to Anna Delaney, the New Jersey forensic anthropologist :) i've heard her name before so I assume she's familiar with the websleuths community and getting outside tips

wow! Delaney emailed me back and could confirm that it wasn't her. Stanina must have had a secret twin walking around NY....

By the way, her actual words were "Thank you for sending the potential match. I was able to look at these cases and based on the biological data, they are not a match. "
Is 'biological data' DNA? Or does she disagree that the physical statistics don't match up?

Stanina Ignjatovic – The Charley Project Stanina's charleyproject page has more info on her disappearance - she was having a lot of problems with her landlord and the apartment and thus may have left voluntarily.
i will send this potential match to Anna Delaney, the New Jersey forensic anthropologist :) i've heard her name before so I assume she's familiar with the websleuths community and getting outside tips

Stanina was so obviously bumped off by her landlord.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back