NJ - Newborn boy found on hood of car, Edison, March 2010

and why wouldnt you keep him? it not like anyone would come looking for him :banghead:

Yes my first thought would be he was unwanted, but we don't know for a fact that the mother is the one responsible. We also don't know if the baby could be part of something even bigger. What if the mother is being held captive? I know that sounds out there, but we do hear enough stories at times for me to feel there are other females being held just like Jaycee or the daughter in Aust, both who had children while captive.

I hope they're able to find security cameras in the area that might have caught something.

VB

I am glad he is ok but oh that poor baby, coming from a 98 degree environment and then left in the snow, how awful must it have been :(

Yes my first thought would be he was unwanted, but we don't know for a fact that the mother is the one responsible. We also don't know if the baby could be part of something even bigger. What if the mother is being held captive? I know that sounds out there, but we do hear enough stories at times for me to feel there are other females being held just like Jaycee or the daughter in Aust, both who had children while captive.

I hope they're able to find security cameras in the area that might have caught something.

VB

what i meant to say is adopt him legally......

Until a relative is located, we have no way of knowing if they even had anything to dress him in. And I am in no way saying that leaving him on the hood of a car in the snow was the smart thing, or the right thing. Just that they did make an attempt to prevent his death, which is more than some others would do.

I am trying to cut some slack right now. For all we know, he was delivered at home, to someone with no baby supplies whatsoever. Possibly even a woman that has had infection set in from giving birth with no medical oversight. She may have been afraid that she would pass out or not be understood if she went inside.

Or we could have another case as with the little girl locked in the bathroom and her mother dead and burned 2.5 hours away, at the hands of the child's father. For those reasons alone, I don't want to villify yet. I am attempting to be more open minded. Probably the opposite of what I need.

On the heels of my last post...

"Why not go to a hospital which is right around the corner, or knock on someone's door and ask them to take the baby?"
http://wcbstv.com/local/abandoned.baby.snowstorm.2.1526156.html
http://multimedia.wcbs880.com/m/vid...-for-abandoned-baby-s-family.htm?pageid=29096 - Video exactly the same as article.
That'll make me a little less forgiving, knowing that there was a hospital nearby.

Less than a day old.
Also gives the address of the care home if someone wants to map it.
http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/state/baby-boy-abandoned-on-hood-of-car-in-edison

im sorry i cant find any plausible or justifible reason to do that.

and the fact there is a hospital around the corner just adds to it

that goes for whoever did it, parent, kidnapper, grandparent whatever

The little boy is an angel, IMO. We so rarely get a second chance. I'm sure he's already placed in a special medically fragile infant foster home. These families know their art well. They know how to ease birth trauma. As we write this, he's probably swaddled in a baby sling and being held close.

To answer your question, Bean, nobody knows about the long term effects of infantile trauma. Remember, even beloved, very wanted babies can suffer trauma during or right after birth--prematurity, prolonged labor, broken limbs from birth injuries, medical emergencies, any separation from mom, etc. Some argue that it will haunt him forever. Others feel that infants are resilient. I come down somewhere in between. There will be a wound but he can heal.

I'm actually more concerned with his prenatal history as he looks to me as if he displays several markers of fetal alcohol or substance abuse exposure. That's where the special foster family will come in. He'll be highly evaluated and watched. He will be placed with an adoptive family probably quite quickly.

I don't get it. Something needs to be changed in the Safe Haven laws if they are not working. And no, kbl, I highly doubt his mom will get him back unless there are highly unusual circumstances such as kidnapping.

Please, no glue today.

ms iz the last week has reinforced my belief to never underestimate the stupidity of people on the bench

what will be next.........unheard of.........people are crazy!!!

When I read the story I was thinking perhaps a young teen, that didn't want her family to know. But then I started thinking the person who laid the baby on top of the car must have known about babies, because I thought they would assume the baby would roll over and could possibly fall. And it seems like they wanted him to be seen. Speaking from experience when I 1st became a mom I didn't know babies could not roll over. My parents taught me everything. So I'm thinking someone who has kids or been around babies did this. I hope the little guy doesn't get sick now with the flu or anything. After being exposed to the freezing weather. The umbilical cord was still attached.

This baby was found Friday? Today is Monday? Right? They still have no clue where the mother of this child is?

Now that is crazy.

Bless his little heart the boy survived that cold like he did. Abandoned. I'm guessing whoever put him where they did at least figured he couldn't be missed on top of a da*n car. Can you imagine the person being questioned whose car he was left on?

might be something like this filly

'i swear officer this could happen to anyone'

We all would be calculating in our minds just how long it had been since we parked the car. Could there still have been some warmth? We'd never be able to go five minutes again without checking the car. My heart goes out to whoever owns the car. How awful.

I wonder if someone didn't work inside that care home and do this. They would know exactly what the comings and goings would be and they'd know how far surveillance would reach. They would also know something about hypothermia and possibly could have been watching and waiting. Let me hold onto that thought, please.

The little boy is an angel, IMO. We so rarely get a second chance. I'm sure he's already placed in a special medically fragile infant foster home. These families know their art well. They know how to ease birth trauma. As we write this, he's probably swaddled in a baby sling and being held close.

To answer your question, Bean, nobody knows about the long term effects of infantile trauma. Remember, even beloved, very wanted babies can suffer trauma during or right after birth--prematurity, prolonged labor, broken limbs from birth injuries, medical emergencies, any separation from mom, etc. Some argue that it will haunt him forever. Others feel that infants are resilient. I come down somewhere in between. There will be a wound but he can heal.

I'm actually more concerned with his prenatal history as he looks to me as if he displays several markers of fetal alcohol or substance abuse exposure. That's where the special foster family will come in. He'll be highly evaluated and watched. He will be placed with an adoptive family probably quite quickly.

I don't get it. Something needs to be changed in the Safe Haven laws if they are not working. And no, kbl, I highly doubt his mom will get him back unless there are highly unusual circumstances such as kidnapping.

Please, no glue today.

Missizzy, thank you so much. You've made me feel better knowing about the special foster parents.

Jim O'Neill, spokesman for the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office, said the baby boy will remain at JFK Medical Center in Edison throughout the weekend for observation.
The infant, who was found outside the CareOne at the Highlands care center on Inman Avenue, has been placed in the custody of the New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services
Edison Police Chief Thomas Bryan said authorities are currently searching for relatives of the child, who weighed 7 pounds, 8 ounces and was 21 inches long. He was a healthy baby boy.http://www.mycentraljersey.com/arti...on-hood-of-car-in-Edison-is-in-good-condition I'm thinking someone who see's this baby will have to know he resembles someone they know. My daughter when she was born she had jet black hair and dark tanned skin looked just like her daddy, now she's 2 and she has brownish black hair more my color and light tanned skin.

From the video, he was found at the height of the snowstorm, on the back trunk. He was red, turning blue, crying faintly.
Grey beach towel.
Manager of the care facility speaking to how proud he is of his staff for immediately beginning to work on him.
The woman that found him took a decade and several surgeries to have her only son...this must be heartbreaking for her.

might be something like this filly

'i swear officer this could happen to anyone'

Right?

O/T but not. I mean this is a serious situation, but years ago my mom opened our front door around Christmas time and finds a little kid. She goes to my dad and my father had a funny cartoon like name she says "***** there's a kid in the door". My dad being the Detective he was says "Whadya mean there's a kid in the door?"

Here this little 2 year old child escaped from about three blocks away. My dad figured he liked all our decorations and all and then got between the storm door and the front door. Us kids thought it was great like we immediately obtained a new sibling. My mom was having a nervous breakdown while my dad started combing the streets until he sees and hears this lady yelling and crying.

Again I know this is horrible about this poor baby. Sometimes life is so da*n awful you have to be reminded there are decent people in the world. I wouldn't put my own mother in that catagory because as we were chatting up this child and showing him our toys and all my mother's going "We're not keeping that kid. Don't get used to him. I can't take another kid". Bless him he was in his PJ's and he was loved and cared for just he escaped is all.

He wasn't even over the engine where it might have been warm. But thank God that there were so many people right there who had some medical training.

Just an out there thought--but our daughter who is now trafficked--worked for over two years as a caregiver at a nursing home. She was good too. I could see her doing something like this as she loved babies but had no idea about developmental stages. I about died one time when I turned around and she'd given a candy cane to a one month old to hold.

Anyway, she worked mainly just sitting with those who were in hospice care. She had a lovely voice and sang to the people. She was highly supervised. Her IQ is only 63. I wonder if this nursing home has someone (a larger young woman, perhaps, that might be able to hide a pregnancy) who fits this profile?

Filly, I can just see your Mom now. I think she and I would make a good team.

What makes me sick is that I don't think the woman had to walk past the back of her car. So, it's snowing, she's in a hurry, looking at her keys, looking at her door, thinking about getting in and getting home...thank God she didn't just start the car and drive off without ever looking. I know people oblivious enough to have done just that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back