NJ NJ - Patricia Jane Wagner, 26, Jersey City, 20 October 1972

It's hard to imagine Patricia left her little boy behind willingly. Some publications state: Jersey Girl Vanishes Without A Trace - The Patricia Jane Wagner Story - Synova Ink

She goes out for coffee with a long-time friend and never returns

How and when did Patricia met Dennis? Were they romantically involved or just friends. It doesn't sound he was her significant other. Maybe Dennis wanted more from her and she refused. Could be a motive to hurt her. He vanished with her and was reported missing....was he? (no surname known, what is weird a. if this was a long-term friend her parents must have known him, b. who reports somebody missing without a surname) It's impossible to establish a time line, so also hard to think about what he might have done with her body. He could have driven from New Jersey to Florida right there and then.....Then her family found this guy in Florida decades later. My gut feeling says...his parents knew....is there family left? Are there any other places he resided or other info from records. Why is it so hard for him to tell the story to Patricia's family if he is innocent?

Can somebody look in Namus if Patrica was ruled out being certain UID's?

It's hard to imagine Patricia left her little boy behind willingly. Some publications state: Jersey Girl Vanishes Without A Trace - The Patricia Jane Wagner Story - Synova Ink

She goes out for coffee with a long-time friend and never returns

How and when did Patricia met Dennis? Were they romantically involved or just friends. It doesn't sound he was her significant other. Maybe Dennis wanted more from her and she refused. Could be a motive to hurt her. He vanished with her and was reported missing....was he? (no surname known, what is weird a. if this was a long-term friend her parents must have known him, b. who reports somebody missing without a surname) It's impossible to establish a time line, so also hard to think about what he might have done with her body. He could have driven from New Jersey to Florida right there and then.....Then her family found this guy in Florida decades later. My gut feeling says...his parents knew....is there family left? Are there any other places he resided or other info from records. Why is it so hard for him to tell the story to Patricia's family if he is innocent?

Can somebody look in Namus if Patrica was ruled out being certain UID's?

@Bit of hope
Here are the UID's that has been ruled out as being Patricia

P5054 06/24/1987 Garvin OK
UP2607 07/31/1988 Monroe NY
UP12689 10/10/1973 Lebanon PA
UP11840 07/26/1974 Barnstable MA
UP15863 04/16/1974 Cheshire NH
UP1341 08/22/1973 Seminole FL

I have been looking at the Patricia Jane Wagner case. I found a UP1489, found in 1990, only an hour and a half away from where Patricia was reported missing. They are not listed as exclusions, I sent email to detective today asking if she could be checked as the UP was found with similar gold hoop earrings. Wondering if Patricia was wearing faux pearl necklace when she went to go on her date. Up was wearing faux pearl necklace also. This is only my second post on Webslueths so hopefully I have uploaded things correctly.
Patricia Jane Wagner The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

UP1489 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Still not excluded yet.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for Patricia Jane Wagner? I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• 22127D55-788E-418E-99E1-397FF6611CBA.png
    22127D55-788E-418E-99E1-397FF6611CBA.png
    421.8 KB · Views: 11
Jersey Girl Vanishes Without A Trace - The Patricia Jane Wagner Story - Synova Ink

Some more background info. Not sure how accurate this is.

She goes out for coffee with a long-time friend and never returns, and strangely, he doesn’t either. Investigators believe he met with foul play as well. What happened to Patricia Wagner and her unnamed friend?

Patricia Jane Wagner, 26 was last seen going out for coffee with a g named Dennis. Neither would return. Investigators believe they met with foul play, but very little information is available on this case. I have spoken with family members, browsed through hundreds of Jane Doe files, and scoured newspaper archives and I still came up with nothing. It’s as if this woman disappeared from the human record. If it weren’t for her family, this poor woman would have been long forgotten.

October 20, 1972, was the last time Patricia was seen leaving her home on Rutgers Avenue in Jersey City. The address of her destination is unknown. There are so many unanswered questions in this case, but we believe someone knows what happened to this beautiful young woman. Although I am not at liberty to release his last name, Dennis was never seen again either.

Patricia is 5′ 3″ tall, weighs approximately 120lbs, has brown hair, and has blue eyes. No one is sure about the clothes she was wearing at the time.

According to the NJSP website, New Jersey has 237 unidentified persons listed on their database, and after reading every one of them, I found two possibilities. The first one is less likely, but I will start with it.

On May 16, 1986, a skull was found only eight miles from Jersey City in North Bergen. The estimated death was 1985 or earlier, and the estimated birthdate is from 1937-1956. The NIC# is U212789648 and Case # J5241. Unfortunately, that’s all the information on that one. The date of death makes me unsure, but the location and the estimated birth year are close enough to warrant further investigation. Patricia’s birthdate was July 17, 1946, so it definitely falls within the same timeframe.

The second Jane Doe I found was a little more promising. She was found on May 17, 1974, in the river near the north tip of the Burlington Island. The island is a 300-acre spot of land in the Delaware River between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The estimated height, death, and age all line up close to that of Patrica Wagner. In fact, they line up so well I sent an email to the investigator to check out Patty’s case. Patricia’s cousin is waiting on the DNA to come back, and then we’ll know for sure. Sadly, there’s no word on Dennis, and he doesn’t seem to have a NAMUS page. If he does, I couldn’t find it. His family has their own investigators on the case and asked that I not disclose his details. The police do not believe he was involved in the disappearance of Patricia.

What happened to this woman? Her sons were raised without their mother, and her parents went to their graves, not knowing what happened to Patty. One armchair sleuth commented on Facebook and mentioned the convicted killer, Robert Zarinski. He was a known killer in the area and could have up to ten murders to his name. He was sentenced to life in prison in 1975 for the murder of Rosemary Calandriello and was suspected in several other homicides. Could Patty have met this predator along the way? If so, where is Dennis? Did something else happen to them?

If you have any information on this case, please contact the New Jersey State Police at 609-882-2000.
So far, I don't believe that either of these Does is listed as a rule out to her online?

Dennis sounds beyond suspicious. He must have feared questioning or becoming a suspect back then, or he wouldn't have fled. Becoming unfindable is rare for suspects or potential suspects, especially at the exact same time the other person goes missing. He should be questioned, but all the decades that have gone by and him being unfindable for so many years along with him being silent now contributes to this case being kind of a dead end, I suppose, as far as finding out anything from Dennis.

With one of those Does, it is listed above that they were doing DNA testing, but she doesn't appear as a rule out online, and I'm sure by now the DNA has come back, so she should be listed as a rule out. The other one is only a skull, but you can get DNA from skulls nowadays and it should be looked into. Are there dental records on Patricia? I assume not.

Last edited:
  • wagner_patricia.jpg
  • wagner_patricia2.jpg
  • wagner_patricia3.jpg
  • wagner_patricia4.jpg
  • wagner_patricia5.jpg
Wagner, circa 1972

October 16, 2020

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online