NJ- School Superintendent blames girl’s family for her suicide after she was beaten by a group of girls in the hallway of her school.

In addition this was not a “fight”. A fight involves two willing participants. This was a premeditated attack where the victim wasn’t given the opportunity to just walk away. The “bullying” ended when the attack happened. At that point forward, everything that happened was a one sided, full on attack and harassment. In my opinion

I agree everything you said. I have said this before. This goes way beyond bullying.

“It’s actually really, really hard to be going to school because of all the bullying and everything that’s been going on,” she said. “I’m still grieving over Adriana. It’s been really hard. But it’s the fact that you didn’t notify the police about that or about Adriana. She was on the floor blacked out. … You guys could have prevented that.

“[Adriana] already reported numerous reports about how she was being bullied, and you guys just sat there and did nothing,” Hailie continued.

The school knew, but did nothing about it. A pattern that happened in the past. It got shades of South Hadley, Penn State, BBC, USA Gymnastics, Celtic Boys Club, Agape Boarding School, and Thatcher School. They knew something was going on, but did nothing about it.

More…obviously something has bern corrupted in favor of these bullies. What a terrible life lesson for them to have this behavior tolerated and ignored. They are on a track for a life unable to hold a job or a stint in prison.

Agree with a lot of this, but would not advocate kids turning in their phones. Until we get a handle on mass shootings, I think all kids need cell phones. I'm fully in favor of making social media inaccessible on school grounds and any kid caught recording something like this gets expelled.

But it is because it was recorded that the bullies were caught and expelled and it proved what was going on in this violent unchecked school.

Schools need alot of hallway security cameras also, to catch bullies, but cameras can't be everywhere.

I think that upcoming lawsuits are going to financially decimate a few individuals and, unfortunately…that may be the only way to frighten other school boards and school employees…away from the prevailing apathy…toward empathy and ACTION.

But the job is formidable. Punishing the schools isn’t going to eradicate the fact that bullying is an ego-enhancer these days and a reputation-builder among many…that’s a goal to strive for. As long as cruelty and violence are ways to become ‘important’ among your peers…our kids are at risk…both the bullied and the bullies as well.

One little foray into social media easily finds one mother bragging that her daughter is a ‘gangsta’ just like her…with the proud reply from the daughter agreeing. In these times, that’s considered a proud upkeep of a family’s ‘reputation.‘

A ‘gangsta.’

So off to school they go with a set of values that was once considered anti-social, now glorified in our music, on social media, across our ‘culture.’ Suspension from school, jail time…is of NO consequence in a homelife where you are grooming your child to be a ‘gangsta’ like you.

The schools and school employees will be forced to do things that may be unpopular…like banning phones…because they have to protect themselves from future lawsuits. I honestly think we are nearing a breaking point.

Sadly, any suit against a school district -- costs the taxpayers.

This moved from an Administrative matter -- to a Law Enforcement matter, but afaik Admin did not involve the police.

Sad to see what has become of our nation's culture during my lifetime...jmho of course.

(Kindly leave me out of that description of "our" music btw.)

University research indeed shows that the problem does not begin in the school, but in the home. Yet the device selected to 'fix' the problem is the US public school.

A complicated problem with no obvious, simple, inexpensive solution and yes near a breaking point.

As a society, what do we do when criminality and vulgarity are viewed as a standard to uphold?

Just stopping here....

But it is because it was recorded that the bullies were caught and expelled and it proved what was going on in this violent unchecked school.

Schools need alot of hallway security cameras also, to catch bullies, but cameras can't be everywhere.
Cameras aren’t the solution. This school obviously saw the social media videos and still did nothing. There’s needs to be zero tolerance of bullying at schools with administrators taking it seriously and not worrying about how it looks. Problem is schools want to deny it happens because it looks bad.

I think that upcoming lawsuits are going to financially decimate a few individuals and, unfortunately…that may be the only way to frighten other school boards and school employees…away from the prevailing apathy…toward empathy and ACTION.

But the job is formidable. Punishing the schools isn’t going to eradicate the fact that bullying is an ego-enhancer these days and a reputation-builder among many…that’s a goal to strive for. As long as cruelty and violence are ways to become ‘important’ among your peers…our kids are at risk…both the bullied and the bullies as well.

One little foray into social media easily finds one mother bragging that her daughter is a ‘gangsta’ just like her…with the proud reply from the daughter agreeing. In these times, that’s considered a proud upkeep of a family’s ‘reputation.‘

A ‘gangsta.’

So off to school they go with a set of values that was once considered anti-social, now glorified in our music, on social media, across our ‘culture.’ Suspension from school, jail time…is of NO consequence in a homelife where you are grooming your child to be a ‘gangsta’ like you.

The schools and school employees will be forced to do things that may be unpopular…like banning phones…because they have to protect themselves from future lawsuits. I honestly think we are nearing a breaking point.
Yes. Administration and teachers who fail to react need to be held accountable in both criminal and civil court. They are mandated reporters. They received training on this. You cannot work at a school and not know this. Once it’s in the news with attests and lawsuits, maybe others will take notice.

Cameras aren’t the solution. This school obviously saw the social media videos and still did nothing. There’s needs to be zero tolerance of bullying at schools with administrators taking it seriously and not worrying about how it looks. Problem is schools want to deny it happens because it looks bad.

This wasn't about cameras being the solution, it was about expelling students who record fights and record bullying.

The poster said students should be expelled for doing this.

I think it is helpful when bad behavior is caught on video, whether phone or mounted cameras.

The school eventually did do something because of the video:

4 students are suspended.
The video has gotten national news attention.
The superintendent resigned.

This wasn't about cameras being the solution, it was about expelling students who record fights and record bullying.

The poster said students should be expelled for doing this.

I think it is helpful when bad behavior is caught on video, whether phone or mounted cameras.

The school eventually did do something because of the video:

4 students are suspended.
The video has gotten national news attention.
The superintendent resigned.

The spirit of my post was about expelling kids who POST such videos. The purpose of the recording in this and many other cases is not to get the bullies in trouble. It's to get likes and "go viral." Obviously, if someone records a fight and runs to the Principal's office to get the bullies in trouble, they shouldn't be expelled.

MOO.

The spirit of my post was about expelling kids who POST such videos. The purpose of the recording in this and many other cases is not to get the bullies in trouble. It's to get likes and "go viral." Obviously, if someone records a fight and runs to the Principal's office to get the bullies in trouble, they shouldn't be expelled.

MOO.
I like this idea. The posters of these videos are bullies as well.

MOO.

You said:

"any kid caught recording something like this gets expelled."

But thank you for clarifying. I totally agree.

There is a huge difference between recording someone bullying and posting it on social media or recording someone bullying and taking the recording to a teacher/parent/principal to help the kid being bullied.

Jmo, I am not excusing the superintendant, but fgs, parental responsibility legislation with heavy consequences . These are their children !!!!! Not the employee's of the schools' children. Bullies in my education experiences back in the day was mostly, but not always, from children from the "well to do" families. And if parents absolutely insist on giving their child a cell, have it set to only call 911, and the child's caregiver/parent/parents. Period. No email or internet. Internet and email only at home with parental screens in place and parental supervision. It's not rocket science imo. Jmo.

Jmo, I am not excusing the superintendant, but fgs, parental responsibility legislation with heavy consequences . These are their children !!!!! Not the employee's of the schools' children. Bullies in my education experiences back in the day was mostly, but not always, from children from the "well to do" families. And if parents absolutely insist on giving their child a cell, have it set to only call 911, and the child's caregiver/parent/parents. Period. No email or internet. Internet and email only at home with parental screens in place and parental supervision. It's not rocket science imo. Jmo.

Agree that parental responsibility plays a role, but when on school property, the school is responsible for keep their students safe. Their failure to protect this young girl (or many more like her) is 100% on them and they should be held accountable. Leadership in the district has proven they are unable to do their jobs. When people can't do their jobs, they should be replaced.

Also, the parents of the bullies should be held liable at least in civil court.

MOO.

I agree on partial responsibility, but not all imo. No way. Jmo. I think teachers and schools get the brunt of the blame most of the time, very unfairly. Jmo/jme.

I agree on partial responsibility, but not all imo. No way. Jmo. I think teachers and schools get the brunt of the blame most of the time, very unfairly. Jmo/jme.

If the reports are true and those in charge at the school knew there was rampant bullying going on and they did nothing, they should get the brunt of the blame. They are to blame for not cleaning up the environment so that kids have a safe place to learn. In some cases, that will absolutely mean calling parents of the bullies and getting them on board with a behavioral remediation plan. If the parents fight that, then I'll reconsider the district's vs parent's part, but the impression I'm getting is that the district turned a blind eye. Evidence of that is this thread, which was created because the family of the dead girl was blamed for her suicide.

MOO.

Respectfully agree to disagree at this point, as we don't know what reports are true or not imo. Jmo parents skip regularly on terrible actions of their children. They need to own it, and face consequences. Pointing fingers at schools is imo, often, a very lame, and unfair excuse, and is mostly shockingly accepted. . Jme. Not sure why. Homeowners are held responsible for all kinds of things, parents or legak guardians of children should be included with everything else, . Imo

Can appreciate where this theory is coming from, but to be clear demographically, this is a school district that struggles - among the hundred or so poorest in New Jersey - and statistically it’s more probable that these bullies are from trailer parks and cottage apartments along Route 35.
If anyone watched Jersey Shore years ago on MTV - the stars of that show were not from Central Regional, but the show took place in Seaside Heights, which is part of this district. Think roach motels, hair gel, just not great.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back