NJ - Trial of Christopher Gregor Allegedly Beat 6-Year-OId Son to Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's barbaric...

A judge says the parents of defendant #ChristopherGregor can testify to Corey Micciolo's bruises before the 6-year-old died from alleged chronic abuse from his father.

Here's an earlier post (and also reposting):

A judge says the parents of defendant #ChristopherGregor can testify to Corey Micciolo's bruises before the 6-year-old died from alleged chronic abuse from his father.

I am very sorry to hear about your dad. That is a terrible loss.

TOMS RIVER - A pediatrician who examined young Corey Miccioli the day before the boy died noted 14 marks and bruises on his body, but said otherwise the child appeared fine.
[snip]
Deacon testified there were no sign of infection or other abnormalities, aside from the 14 lesions, bruises and scratches on his skin.
[snip]
Corey’s mother, Breanna Micciolo, testified Monday that she was so concerned over the bruising she saw in her son in March that she filed an emergent appeal in family court for sole custody. That request was denied on April 1.
Boy had 14 marks on his body, pediatrician testifies at father's murder trial

Corey was dead by 5pm the following day.

the timing of that set of circumstances is not lost on me.

FWIW the first ER I took my son to thought my son appeared fine. But he wasn't. Not at all.
Thanks for your kind words. Sepsis can move so fast into septic shock and even in a hospital nothing can really be done when organs start to shut-down. The pediatrician who testified didn't say if she ordered blood tests but at that point it doesn't appear Corey showed any signs of it.

In opening statement, the Defense said the hospital believed Corey was showing signs of sepsis and wanted to admit him. He said the mother refused and signed a document. I think the jury wants to see those medical records. I know I do.

JMO

A single diagnostic test for sepsis does not yet exist, and so doctors and healthcare professionals use a combination of tests and immediate and worrisome clinical signs

Here's an earlier post (and also reposting):

I dont understand how this can help the defense. Corey seems to have recovered physically from the treadmill in March. On April 1 the doctors indicated there were injuries in different stages of healing, but the most damaging were the day of his death April 2 and/or late on the 1st. So it showed the chronic abuse but it was the acute trauma caused the death per Dr Andrews. Defense trying to confuse. IMO

I dont understand how this can help the defense. Corey seems to have recovered physically from the treadmill in March. On April 1 the doctors indicated there were injuries in different stages of healing, but the most damaging were the day of his death April 2 and/or late on the 1st. So it showed the chronic abuse but it was the acute trauma caused the death per Dr Andrews. Defense trying to confuse. IMO
I agree with the panel on CTV that it is still a "who done it" case. Dr. Andrews gave a window of 4 to 12 hours prior to Corey's death. The mother had custody of Corey during several of those hours.

We still haven't heard testimony from the ME who did the autopsy.

JMO

A pediatrician who examined young Corey Miccioli the day before the boy died noted 14 marks and bruises on his body, but said otherwise the child appeared fine.
You keep implying that the father was not responsible for the murder.

The video is enough to open one’s eyes to the horrid treatment of his son. I can only imagine what Corey suffered behind closed doors.

You keep implying that the father was not responsible for the murder.

The video is enough to open one’s eyes to the horrid treatment of his son. I can only imagine what Corey suffered behind closed doors.
The jury will decide this case. I'm not convinced the child was murdered. The ME who performed the autopsy left Manner of Death as "undetermined."

JMO
ETA link:
Dr. Dante Ragusa, an Ocean County medical examiner who performed an April 3 autopsy on Corey’s body, issued a finding on the cause of death: Blunt force injuries with cardiac and liver contusions with acute inflammation and sepsis. However, he did not rule on the manner of death; rather, he deemed it “undetermined.”

Edited, didn’t realize this has been answered. lol
Oops!

Sadly no.
The state has one more witness but they can’t come until I believe the 21st. Yikes.
So next week I think defendants sill
Start their case.
I didn’t catch all the det

IMO he doesn't want to see what his son is capable of. He doesn't want to really truly face how abnormal his son is. JMO.
Yet this is the son that HE raised. He knows more than he will ever admit, he certainly knows he helped shape the way this monster turned out.

Thanks for your kind words. Sepsis can move so fast into septic shock and even in a hospital nothing can really be done when organs start to shut-down. The pediatrician who testified didn't say if she ordered blood tests but at that point it doesn't appear Corey showed any signs of it.

In opening statement, the Defense said the hospital believed Corey was showing signs of sepsis and wanted to admit him. He said the mother refused and signed a document. I think the jury wants to see those medical records. I know I do.

JMO

A single diagnostic test for sepsis does not yet exist, and so doctors and healthcare professionals use a combination of tests and immediate and worrisome clinical signs
I too am interested in the medical records. Defense attorneys often say things that are not founded in fact during opening statements but then never touch upon those topics during the trial, never elicit a word of testimony or otherwise enter evidence about it. But it's out there, the jury has heard and taken it in.

I haven't seen everything that has been allowed or disallowed in this trial, has evidence of Corey's mother refusing him medical care been entered in the trial? When was this hospital visit, the day of his death? I thought dad was the one who took him in?

I know mom took previously taken him to Jersey Shore Medical Center where he was examined, received X-rays and blood work. Late that evening, while still at the hospital for testing, Chris sent her a series of texts asking where she was and insisting she and Corey leave immediately because it was inconvenient for him to wait around for her to drop Corey off. Is that the instance you are referring to where doctors allegedly thought he had sepsis and she refused to allow them to further investigate or treat him?

I too am interested in the medical records. Defense attorneys often say things that are not founded in fact during opening statements but then never touch upon those topics during the trial, never elicit a word of testimony or otherwise enter evidence about it. But it's out there, the jury has heard and taken it in.

I haven't seen everything that has been allowed or disallowed in this trial, has evidence of Corey's mother refusing him medical care been entered in the trial? When was this hospital visit, the day of his death? I thought dad was the one who took him in?

I know mom took previously taken him to Jersey Shore Medical Center where he was examined, received X-rays and blood work. Late that evening, while still at the hospital for testing, Chris sent her a series of texts asking where she was and insisting she and Corey leave immediately because it was inconvenient for him to wait around for her to drop Corey off. Is that the instance you are referring to where doctors allegedly thought he had sepsis and she refused to allow them to further investigate or treat him?
Oh, how well I remember Geragos saying "stone cold innocent" in an opening statement and then not bothering to call a single witness who believed they saw Laci Peterson in the park.

Which is why in this case I am waiting for the actual evidence claimed in opening statements.

What I do find very odd in this case is that the ME who did the autopsy hasn't testified.

JMO

IMO, ME was leaving it up to LE to determine "Manner of death".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
In many legal jurisdictions, the manner of death is a determination, typically made by the coroner, medical examiner, police, or similar officials, and recorded as a vital statistic. Within the United States and the United Kingdom, a distinction is made between the cause of death, which is a specific disease or injury, versus manner of death, which is primarily a legal determination versus the mechanism of death (also called the mode of death) which does not explain why the person died or the underlying cause of death and can include cardiac arrest or exsanguination. Different categories are used in different jurisdictions, but manner of death determinations include everything from very broad categories like "natural" and "homicide" to specific manners like "traffic accident" or "gunshot wound". In some cases an autopsy is performed, either due to general legal requirements, because the medical cause of death is uncertain, upon the request of family members or guardians, or because the circumstances of death were suspicious.

IMO, ME was leaving it up to LE to determine "Manner of death".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
In many legal jurisdictions, the manner of death is a determination, typically made by the coroner, medical examiner, police, or similar officials, and recorded as a vital statistic. Within the United States and the United Kingdom, a distinction is made between the cause of death, which is a specific disease or injury, versus manner of death, which is primarily a legal determination versus the mechanism of death (also called the mode of death) which does not explain why the person died or the underlying cause of death and can include cardiac arrest or exsanguination. Different categories are used in different jurisdictions, but manner of death determinations include everything from very broad categories like "natural" and "homicide" to specific manners like "traffic accident" or "gunshot wound". In some cases an autopsy is performed, either due to general legal requirements, because the medical cause of death is uncertain, upon the request of family members or guardians, or because the circumstances of death were suspicious.
BBM.The Prosecution used a consulting Pathologist. Who, very oddly, didn't agree with the ME's autopsy determination of Cause of Death.

JMO

mom's testimony under defense cross examination at 1:55:53. Community Medical Center did not have a child abuse pediatrician who works w DCPP She then left that facility and took him to Jersey Shore Medical Center. She had to sign a discharge AMA on Corey's behalf to leave Community Medical Center. They wanted to transport him by ambulance and she wanted to drive him and not run up a bill for an ambulance. She wanted him seen at Jersey Shore because of the child abuse pediatrician. It was important to have a physician who was experienced in child abuse per the advice of a DCPP representative.

Perhaps defense will enter medical records later in trial that support the outrageous claim during opening that either hospital she took Corey to suspected he had sepsis and she refused him treatment. But somehow I doubt that. If medical records existed to support that claim I believe mom WOULD have been charged with medical neglect rather than Christopher Gregory being charged with murder.

I guess we shall see.

mom's testimony under defense cross examination at 1:55:53. Community Medical Center did not have a child abuse pediatrician who works w DCPP She then left that facility and took him to Jersey Shore Medical Center. She had to sign a discharge AMA on Corey's behalf to leave Community Medical Center. They wanted to transport him by ambulance and she wanted to drive him and not run up a bill for an ambulance. She wanted him seen at Jersey Shore because of the child abuse pediatrician. It was important to have a physician who was experienced in child abuse per the advice of a DCPP representative.

Perhaps defense will enter medical records later in trial that support the outrageous claim during opening that either hospital she took Corey to suspected he had sepsis and she refused him treatment. But somehow I doubt that. If medical records existed to support that claim I believe mom WOULD have been charged with medical neglect rather than Christopher Gregory being charged with murder.

I guess we shall see.

Bottomline for me is that the indefensible leads to interesting speculation and promotion of confusion. Hard for me to imagine the pain Breanna has been through. I hope she has a large support system.

Bottomline for me is that the indefensible leads to interesting speculation and promotion of confusion. Hard for me to imagine the pain Breanna has been through. I hope she has a large support system.
me too, I cannot imagine her pain. She tried so hard telling anyone who would listen, trying to find evidence from experts to back up her claim that her baby was being abused. Then she must bury her baby, testify about his small, blue, soiled underpants, her prior meth use and deal with speculation that somehow her son's death/murder were her own fault in front of the man she knows is responsible. It must be like living in hell.

I guess we shall see.
BBM. The hospital ER would have done a medical screening before transferring the child by ambulance to another medical facility. ER care is provided regardless of ability to pay and she would have been told this. And I'm betting she didn't tell the child's father the hospital had wanted to transport Corey by ambulance.

I have no doubt Corey's medical records from Community Medical Center will be entered into evidence.

JMO

BBM. The hospital ER would have done a medical screening before transferring the child by ambulance to another medical facility. ER care is provided regardless of ability to pay and she would have been told this. And I'm betting she didn't tell the child's father the hospital had wanted to transport Corey by ambulance.

I have no doubt Corey's medical records from Community Medical Center will be entered into evidence.

JMO

ER care may be provided regardless of ability to pay, so too may ambulance service/transport be provided without proof of ability to pay. And yet patients are still billed for those services from ERs and ambulance companies so I am not sure of the point here. They may not deny you service but they DO bill you and expect you to pay for them.

I am sure medical records will be entered. I, however, doubt highly that any will be entered that support defense's claim in opening statement that Corey had signs of sepsis during either of the hospital visits she made with Corey that day. JMO MOO

ER care may be provided regardless of ability to pay, so too may ambulance service/transport be provided without proof of ability to pay. And yet patients are still billed for those services from ERs and ambulance companies so I am not sure of the point here. They may not deny you service but they DO bill you and expect you to pay for them.

I am sure medical records will be entered. I, however, doubt highly that any will be entered that support defense's claim in opening statement that Corey had signs of sepsis during either of the hospital visits she made with Corey that day. JMO MOO
The ME that did the autopsy listed blunt force injuries, inflammation and sepsis under cause of death. I think the autopsy will be introduced as evidence or he will testify as an expert witness.

My point is that a very sick child needed to be transported via ambulance and the mother refused. Hours later the child was dead and among the cause of death was traumatic injuries, inflammation and sepsis.

JMO

Dr. Dante Ragusa, an Ocean County medical examiner who performed an April 3 autopsy on Corey’s body, issued a finding on the cause of death: Blunt force injuries with cardiac and liver contusions with acute inflammation and sepsis.

Dr. Thomas Andrew believes Corey suffered an acute traumatic injury to the heart 4-12 hours before his death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15