NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of Earl's daughters lived in California in at least two different locations, the first in and around Los Angeles. Do we know specifically where in that area she lived? There were 3 children that went missing in the Los Angeles area between from 1957 to 1961 that have never been accounted for. A man already on death row for the murders of other children, Mack Ray Edwards claimed to have committed those additional crimes, and LE thinks he was responsible, but the fact is that prisoners often claim such things if they think it will pay off in either a lighter sentence or a trip outside the prison to help locate bodies. Edwards did try to help LE locate the bodies, but none were ever found.

Brenda Jo Howell age 12 along with Donald Baker, a small 15 year old, 5'1", disappeared Aug. 6, 1956 from the San Gabriel Canyon where they were riding their bikes. Howell normally lived in Ft. Bragg, CA, but at the time of her disappearance was visiting her married sister who lived in the 5700 block of Rockdale Ave. in Azusa, CA. Crime attributed to Mack Ray Edwards.

Thomas Eldon Bowman, age 8, disappeared March 23, 1957 from a trail in Arroyo Cinco Canyon in Altadena, CA. He was running to where the family's car was parked which I presume was in a parking lot there. When his cousins and other family members got to the car, the boy wasn't waiting for them. Interesting in that this boy kind of resembles Andy Sims missing from Wichita Falls in 1960. Crime attributed to Mack Ray Edwards.

Bruce Kremen, age 6, disappeared July 12, 1960 from Angeles National Forest, CA. Kremen lived in the 11,000 block of Dempsey Ave. in Grenada Hills, CA. Initially it was thought he wandered off, but LE later suspected foul play. He was camping with a group of 80 children and adults with the YMCA in Los Angeles. Mack Ray Edwards also confessed to his murder.

Karen Lynn Tompkins, age 11, disappeared August 18, 1961 from Halldale Elementary School at 215th. St. in Harbor Gateway, CA close to Torrance, CA where she'd been taking a summer arts and crafts class with her brother. He left early because their dog had shown up at the school.Karen left the school at 5:30PM to walk the 4 blocks to her house. She was accompanied partway by another student, but Karen never arrived home. She was reported as missing at 6:00PM.

It's entirely possible Mack Ray Edwards was responsible for all these murders plus the ones that put him in prison, but it's also possible these children were murdered by someone else.

I will keep looking to see what else I can find. The info I got on these kids came from the charleyproject.org

Okay, I've looked and these are the only other murders posted from this time period for the Charley Project, and other than Andy Sims, that would fit the right age bracket. I will try other venues.

I wish LE would give us more of a description of the victims' conditions without having to resort to the actual photos. I know I wouldn't want to visually see the girls. I wonder if serial killers are the only ones who might torture a victim? Anyone know? I get the idea from the files that Patty was tortured somewhat. It's that somewhat that I find odd. I mean, usually someone who tortures a victim really lays it on thick. So I'm very puzzled by Patty's wounds. I wonder if there was stuff we don't know about?

Sunshine, when I read the part about a murderer wanting to be the one to discover the body or bodies, it made me think of Willie D immediately. Of course since we know he had a morbid interest in little girls beforehand, it makes him doubly suspect in my mind.

One thing we don't know about the Nichols family is where all Earl's adult children may have lived. We know where they were living at the time of his obituary, but most likely some of them lived in more than one place. I wonder if GN would possibly know that about at least some of her aunts and uncles?

I also wonder what other crimes may have been happening in Carlsbad just before the girls were murdered, ya know? From those articles, http://www.macalester.edu/psychology/whathap/UBNRP/serialkillers/mindhome.html

it seems that's something to pay attention to.

And speaking of ED Nichols, do we know when he moved from Wichita Falls? He wasn't living there at the time of his death, and I'm left wondering if he moved right after the little Sims boy disappeared? It would be interesting to find out if he moved prior to the Sims boy's disappearance or afterwards!

Well...you know how I feel about Willlie and David B...I still think they were the ones that killed the girls...but I can see what your saying ...
I know from talking to the ex-wife of DB that he was in trouble during his early pre-teen years and it continued up until he was injuried in an automobile accident. I don't have his arrest record...but I do have his court records from the sexual encounter he had with a sixteen year old girl. He wasn't found guilty of rape...just inappropriate conduct with a minor. According to the records this girl became pregnant from this encounter.
When I go to Cbad the next time...I'm going to try and get the other records. I think that should be open to the public...I'm not sure but I'm going to try.
After reading some of the serial killer information...it seems to me like some of these behaviors would fit someone that just liked to kill...or they kill for revenge. I sometime wonder if DB killed to get even with one of the girls or maybe both. Maybe he didn't want to get caught or get in trouble over another girl. I just know that Patty's body was mutilated to some degree...and Mattie wasn't. Mattie was supposedly not raped or mutilated...but I sometime think that Mattie was molested...raped. Because of what I have learned about how WDB molested little girls...he didn't take their clothes off...and they said Mattie was in her period...but Mattie wasn't having her periods ( menastration, sp?) yet...so you see what I'm talking about? I know the girl that he (DB) molested...the one that I mention above ...was after the girls were killed. So I think DB was way more involved in sexual encounters with girls than is really known. And how did he learn that behavior? From his parent's??? Or maybe he just enjoyed hurting girls...who knows. But the law enforcement agencies need to check this out. In today's time they kinda make a profile of these criminals...and to tell you the true I remember that they tried to do that when the girls were killed. I remember my parent's talking about it ...maybe with Dan McGrew or the FBI Agent...Bryce.

I will try to look at the serial killer information a little closer and maybe comment on some of the things that come to my mind...I just hope I don't rehash to much while I'm doing this.
I will try and get in contact with EDN family and see if we can figure out where he lived during his lifetime. Hopefully we can find some more information about this man.

Great news.....a neice of Margaret Warble's has emailed me...I'm waiting on Maragret Warble to call me....I'm very excited to talk with her. Thank You for helping me out....

I'm still waiting on Margaret Warbel to contact me. If any of Margaret's family members could help me out with this....PLEASE let Margaret know I need to talk with her.

I'm still waiting on Margaret Warbel to contact me. If any of Margaret's family members could help me out with this....PLEASE let Margaret know I need to talk with her.

I would like to say Thank You to the family of Margaret...they have connected me with her....Thanks so much.:dance:

Oh I hope your conversation with her is enlightening!

I do to...I just have to get my questions lined out...she doesn't really want to talk about the situation. And I sure don't want to hurt her in anyway... I have been saying prayers to help me with this situation. Have any pointers on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500