NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #2

I knew it, I just knew it when I saw the ad on KRQE of Larry Barker investigating a 50 yr old murder! I hooped and hollered and was hoping it was about this case. I have a sticky note on my TV to remind me (not that I'd forget) to watch it this Thursday night at 10:00, I can hardly wait, I'll be glued to the TV. Things are finally starting to look up Anne! I just have a feeling that the ECSO will be slamming doors in Larry's face but I really hope not. I'm praying, praying, praying!

Yes, Larry Barker will be doing an investigative report on Mattie Catherine Restine (13 yrs.) and Patty Sue Pritz (14 yrs.) Unsolved Murder Case. This Thursday night on CH. 13, KRQE, Albuquerque, NM. Time is 10 P.M.
Please everyone watch this show. If you can't get it on TV...look on your computers. KRQE.com out of Albuquerque, NM.

I believe the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept. talked with Larry Barker. Also several other individuals from the Carlsbad area.

I am going to see if I figure out a way to see the show , maybe later the TV station will upload the airing on internet. For all that we may have lost with the changing times and technology, it is amazing to think that a crime that took place 50 years ago in Carlsbad , can be broadcast all over the world!
I hope everyone watches" Thursday night on CH. 13, KRQE, Albuquerque, NM. Time 10 P.M".
Hope. I love that word!

(From above link)
50-year-old murder mystery still resonates

Girls’ deaths remain under investigation

Updated: Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 11:07 PM MST
Published : Thursday, 17 Nov 2011, 10:10 PM MST
Larry Barker

CARLSBAD, NM (KRQE) - Despite the passage of more than a half-century, it’s a crime that still haunts this small, southeast New Mexico town.

Two girls in their early teens disappear from a popular hang-out spot, only to be found two days later dumped outside town, executed. The killer has never been found.

“They weren’t prostitutes,” said Anne Restine Self, the sister of one of the victims. “They weren’t drug dealers. They were little girls.”

And while the case has been re-opened over the years and remains under investigation by the Eddy County Sheriff’s Office, authorities are no closer to solving the murders today than they were 50 years ago.

Asked what it would take to bring the killer or killers to justice, Eddy County Sheriff Ernest Mendoza said, “Actually somebody to come forth and confess.”

A person would have to have a heart of stone to not want to step forward with information to solve this crime and soothe the pain of a grieving sister.
"There’s been several times I thought about killing myself because I couldn’t handle it,” Self said. “I feel like I need to find out what happened to her and why. Because she was a sweet little girl. Why did it happen?”

I watched the film and thought it was pretty well reported..

I really hope someone does come forward.

Sunshine 1950, I watched with great interest Larry Barker’s report last night. Was well done, and I saw lots of people I know including friend Bonny (Clark) Sexton. You did a great job with Barker, your emotional plea for help in solving the case hopefully will bring someone to the forefront. The report has been the topic of interest around town in the last few days. I will listen around now and see what I hear after it aired. I am still disappointed that ECSO did not re-interview (AB) before she passed away, But there is still one living member of that family (KB) he is (DB’s) brother and wonder what it would take to get any information from him? Don’t know if he even knows anything but maybe last chance. As a side note, I saw Jimmy Estrada few weeks ago he is having serious health problems. One thing fore sure there are still many of us here who WILL NEVER FORGET.

Ps Just got back from around you part of the country, close as I got was Ft Smith, but I too enjoyed the fall trees and taking photos if them.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Larry Barker's report is well worth watching; (links above me) also there are photos and other info there.

Sunshine,

Just watched the video. Thought it was well done. Bless your heart. Your pain is still so apparent, it brought tears to my eyes. It is truly disturbing that evidence was allowed to disappear.

Funny, I would have sworn ECSO told you the diary was missing, but I see they apparently still have it. At least they can hang onto something!

Also, I thought ECSO had blown off the sighting on Mesquite in favor of the girls having been taken from Church Street. I guess it depends on who the current investigator is(if you want to call them that, sitting on their rear waiting for a confession to fall into their lap) as to what street the girls disappeared from.

There are still two things that tell me this wasn't done by a local, and that's the fact the girls were shot execution style. How they were killed means something. Then the fact that their abductor's car lights were visible and witnessed from the highway. I still can't imagine a local would have made that mistake.

Shot execution style adds an element of distance, meaning that if Patti was the target of a local, the murder itself would have been more personal as in her being beaten to death or someone having emptied their gun into her or stabbed her numerous times. Overkill. That's the kind of thing you would expect to see in a rage killing according to what I've read by several profilers. Its absence lends itself to this being more of a stranger killer, a sexual predator, and I would think someone with some experience since he was brazen enough to risk taking two girls.

I know you don't think that is the case, and still think it was a local, but please give some thought to what profilers who've written books have to say on the subject.

Shot execution style says to me the killer most likely had no personal involvement with either Patty or Mattie.

I feel sure ECSO interviewed the killer, but just missed something. Maybe they even gave him a lie detector test, but if the person was a psychopath, he would've passed with flying colors, and that could've thrown them off.

I just don't think the person was from Carlsbad, perhaps Artesia or Roswell instead. A person in their twenties would think nothing of driving that distance to go hang out at the beach. The pictures from the video made the beach all the more real for me. It was a bigger deal than I'd previously thought. If someone from either of those places or smaller communities to the north was responsible it makes sense that they would choose to kill the girls off the highway they'd come south on to get to Carlsbad in the first place. It would make their getaway quicker if they were headed back to the north having come from there.

I wonder if Patti had been at the beach the weekend before? If anyone had been seen observing her prior to the night she and Mattie disappeared? She obviously was the target. The question is did the killer pick her out that Friday night or on some prior date when she was at the beach? Could it have been a carnival worker?

I wonder if ECSO has ever bothered to track down all of the people they interviewed back then to see what they've been up to over the years. Instead of sitting around waiting, they could see if anything new could be learned of the people they interviewed way back when. Some of those people are bound to have lengthy criminal histories.

One more thing, that the killer even knew about that beach park's existence indicates he most probably was from NM, and maybe had lived in Carlsbad at one time so he felt comfortable enough to commit that type of crime there, and he most likely lived within easy driving distance of Carlsbad.
I'm guessing most in Artesia would know about the beach, and possibly some from Roswell.

I wonder whatever happened to the guy from Artesia? that had scratches on his arm, but claimed they were from something else. ECSO could at least look into that guy's background today and see what he'd been up to since 1961.

:blowkiss:
jt

I thought that Larry Barker and his production team did an amazing job at getting the story of Mattie and Patty out to the public and straight to the heart!
It was hard to see the brutality and careless cruelty delivered to those little girls and think that the monster/s who did it, might well still be walking this earth unpunished.

LET'S RIGHT THAT WRONG.

I hope some tips are coming in concerning the unsolved murder of Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz in Carlsbad N.M. in 1961 on August 11.
Who knows, perhaps it might even lead to a break in other unsolved crimes... so please if anyone out there happens to see this- and has a recollection or a tip about the case, speak up,you'll feel better!

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/larry_barker/50-year-old-murder-mystery-still-resonates

I just wanted to repost the show.

"STORY HIGHLIGHTS

•" Just over 50 yeas ago, two girls Patty Pritz, 14, and Mattie Restine, 13 were brutally murdered. Their killer was never found.

• Witnesses saw Patty and Mattie leave 'The Beach' in Carlsbad, NM about 8:40 p.m. on August 11, 1961. No one except their killer ever saw them alive again.

• Two days later, rabbit hunters discovered the two girls’ bodies dumped in the scrub brush 13 miles outside of town in a rugged area known as the Rocky Arroyo.

• Today, the case is assigned to Eddy County sheriff’s investigator Richard Sillas, who will continue to investigate if new leads come to light.

• If anyone has information regarding the case, contact the Eddy County Sheriff's Office (575) 887-7553"
"

Bumping for Mattie and Patty and wishing for a break in this case because 50 years is just too long for a guilty person to be free and a for good person to wait for justice.

Thank you dotr for keeping Mattie and Patty's unsolved case going on websleuths. Some leada were called into the Eddy County Sheriffs Dept.but I'm not sure w. hat has go.e on with them. I hope and pray that this case will be solved soon. I will not stop seeking Justice for tbeir murders.

Thank You Ouiser for finding this address.
I was told that Mattie and Patty got in the car with this man called "ARKIE" on Church St that night. I dont know if the ECSO questioned this man or not...but I do believe the grounds of that building needs to be looked over. I know it's been a wile since the girls were killed...but this look over needs to be done. Also they need to check this man's records our. If some of these girles workded for this man...then he knew them...

I hope they can look over this spot again, "seek and ye shall find".
Hoping for answers for Mattie Restine and Patty Printz.

I think ( hope) this will also help in solving the Mattie Restine and Patty Printz murder in 1961 Carlsbad NM.
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s2470808.shtml
"Senator Bill Payne, an Albuquerque Republican, is sponsoring the bill that removes all kinds of homicide from the statute of limitations.

He argues that the law needs to keep up with modern science, especially DNA evidence.

"If forensics can prove that a person committed a homicide but it's later than our current statute of limitations, there should be no prohibition in the law from charging that individual,” he said.

The Senate Public Affairs Committee amended the bill to remove only second degree murder from the statute of limitations, leaving lesser homicide charges with the current limits.

The bill is now scheduled to go to the Senate Judiciary Committee."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back