NM NM - Truth or Consequences, Hwy 181, WhtMale 30-50, UP8544, German cigs, HazMat card, gun, Apr'10

77 inches converts to 6 foot 5 inches

You're right, and that height is that much more unusual!

and the pistol was used in Indochina...I think more questions at the VA are in order.

I thought French, which fits the pistol, too.

I've seen this man somewhere. He looks like somebody I used to know, but I can't remember when or where.

I thought French, which fits the pistol, too.

I've seen this man somewhere. He looks like somebody I used to know, but I can't remember when or where.

The side view pic (second in the PDF) looks like someone in heavy make-up for a movie. I don't think I've even seen the entire movie, but Robin Williams' "old woman" disguise in Mrs Doubtfire came to mind.
doubtfire.jpg doubtfireNM.JPG

The way the Reyno cigarettes are described on that PDF ("German non-import brand") makes it sound as if he'd brought them with him from out of the country. Does that mean it didn't have a US tax stamp somewhere on them?

I've bought British Dunhill's in the states several times (actually without taking out a loan, I might add) and they were indeed the British cigarettes, but had some kind of "USA tax" sticker somewhere on them.
That said, do we know if any of the cigarettes had been smoked? The tax stickers that I remember were on the cellophane. If he'd smoked any of them, the cellophane (hence tax stamp) would likely be gone.

Indochina (the gun) and the possibility of him being French were mentioned. France indeed "owned" Indochina for a spell in the past. I just don't how know the guy or the gun would have made it from then/there to New Mexico 2010, though.

Huh. Gustaf Olson went missing not far from me and I can't find one word about him in any of the local media.

The UID's Namus file now lists one ruleout, Leland Torrey of Arizona. And his height is now listed at 77" while there's no mention of the size of the uniform pants.

Olson is also tall.

I'm not sure how they'd make any kind of ruleout on him, though, since he appears to not have any identifiers in the system.

Okay, I posted this on my TL on FB, because I have friends that served in the Military, pre-Vietnam. (French made), Sellier and Bellot .32 rounds. Has anyone heard of this gun?
And how common is this gun? The MAB C was a civilian version of the MAB D, intended for military and police use. It hasn't been manufactured since 1963
. Does this answer help any? This guy owns that particular gun. Part of his reply.

I have a .32 MAB. It's French, good pistol, used by the Germans after they conquered France. It isn't common but not rare. I've seen a handful over the years..

All I can do is try.

The side view pic (second in the PDF) looks like someone in heavy make-up for a movie. I don't think I've even seen the entire movie, but Robin Williams' "old woman" disguise in Mrs Doubtfire came to mind.
View attachment 62325 View attachment 62330

The way the Reyno cigarettes are described on that PDF ("German non-import brand") makes it sound as if he'd brought them with him from out of the country. Does that mean it didn't have a US tax stamp somewhere on them?

I've bought British Dunhill's in the states several times (actually without taking out a loan, I might add) and they were indeed the British cigarettes, but had some kind of "USA tax" sticker somewhere on them.
That said, do we know if any of the cigarettes had been smoked? The tax stickers that I remember were on the cellophane. If he'd smoked any of them, the cellophane (hence tax stamp) would likely be gone.

Indochina (the gun) and the possibility of him being French were mentioned. France indeed "owned" Indochina for a spell in the past. I just don't how know the guy or the gun would have made it from then/there to New Mexico 2010, though.

bfl, does my info contained of the gun, in above post help?

Huh. Gustaf Olson went missing not far from me and I can't find one word about him in any of the local media.

The UID's Namus file now lists one ruleout, Leland Torrey of Arizona. And his height is now listed at 77" while there's no mention of the size of the uniform pants.

Olson is also tall.

I'm not sure how they'd make any kind of ruleout on him, though, since he appears to not have any identifiers in the system.

That rule out is concerning. :(

[snip]

Olson is also tall.

I wonder if he was a (possibly international) tourist/visitor. That would partially explain the absolute lack of coverage in the news (I looked, too... not even a one-liner that I could find). I couldn't even really find record of him in Massachusetts just by searching stuff online. 2010 was not that long ago, so I was surprised. I did find a family in Milton, MA with father & son Gustaf Olson, but they were both too old in 2010. I skimmed Interpol but didn't really find anything. Not really sure where else one would look if he was international...

Also, total newbie questions, but re: Leland, I wonder what kind of partial remains they found that they had a funeral but he is still listed as a missing person? Do they just do that when remains have not been found, even if they know someone is dead?

I am still baffled by how some people pass away and it seems like no one (seemingly) goes looking. Even if there's no family, you'd think a neighbor or even someone who saw them regularly at the store would poke around...

I just think this gun may have a connection. Via the UID, or, one who carried it.

I wonder if he was a (possibly international) tourist/visitor. That would partially explain the absolute lack of coverage in the news (I looked, too... not even a one-liner that I could find). I couldn't even really find record of him in Massachusetts just by searching stuff online. 2010 was not that long ago, so I was surprised. I did find a family in Milton, MA with father & son Gustaf Olson, but they were both too old in 2010. I skimmed Interpol but didn't really find anything. Not really sure where else one would look if he was international...

Also, total newbie questions, but re: Leland, I wonder what kind of partial remains they found that they had a funeral but he is still listed as a missing person? Do they just do that when remains have not been found, even if they know someone is dead?

I am still baffled by how some people pass away and it seems like no one (seemingly) goes looking. Even if there's no family, you'd think a neighbor or even someone who saw them regularly at the store would poke around...

Looks like nobody ever answered your question.

Yes, they will often leave a person in the system if only partial remains are located. If other parts are found later, and DNA submitted, the parts can be matched to the right owner. I've seen entries for a partial jawbone and for six square inches of cranium, but if a missing person comes up a match, that will be as solid as a complete body.

Were those cigarettes available in Mexico at the time? TorC is just a couple hours' drive from Juarez and the roads are good.

Could the gentleman be traveling?

jmho ymmv lrr

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven