No more twinkies or hostess cupcakes or wonder bread???*UPDATE*

OP link doesn't work for me, but...

TBH I haven't had one of their products for decades, but I bet this is one of "those" bankruptcies that reincarnates with no union workers, less pay, reduced or non-existent benefit packages, and few full time positions. And truthfully, their bakeries might be moved south of the border. (I know Hostess used to be good factory work a long time ago, but I don't know what it's been like lately. In truth, all those changes might already be in place.)

Now I ask you: if that is indeed what's happening here, will Twinkies, Snoballs, and White Bread have the same allure? Will you buy the "new" products?

eta: Yup, this is exactly what's going down. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-twinkie-banruptcy-20120111,0,6871039.story

:cool:

Back in the 1950's, when I was a kid, I loved Twinkies, Hostess Cupcakes, and Sno Balls. I don't even know if they tasted good--maybe it was the lure of the forbidden. I tried either cupcakes or Twinkies again (can't remember which) maybe 20 years ago or more, and they tasted terrible! So I have to say, I am sure I won't buy any of these products.

As far as food products being made South of the Border, I was shocked when I bought a bag of Brach's peppermint nougats, the round ones with xmas trees on them,individually wrapped in cellophane, for Christmas. They are made in Mexico! I have to say, they didn't seem to be made right--there were crunchy bits of sugar in them. I thought that they were supposed to be smooth?

This is the only bread my turtles eat, they still don't know that their white bread is wheat :)

You have pet turtles?How cool is that!I love turtles.I'd love to own one or ten.Lucky duck you are.

Back in the 1950's, when I was a kid, I loved Twinkies, Hostess Cupcakes, and Sno Balls. I don't even know if they tasted good--maybe it was the lure of the forbidden. I tried either cupcakes or Twinkies again (can't remember which) maybe 20 years ago or more, and they tasted terrible! So I have to say, I am sure I won't buy any of these products...

I was shocked when I bought a bag of Brach's peppermint nougats, the round ones with xmas trees on them,individually wrapped in cellophane, for Christmas...

Respectfully snipped.

I was a "kid" in the '50s, too :D Last time I tasted just a few bites of a Twinkie, I knew right away that the filling was not the same "whipped cream" from the original Twinkies. Yuck :eek:

I used to buy those Brach's Christmas Trees every year because I have a Scandinavian holiday basket (was a gift) that is decorated just like those candies. They are barely edible any more, so I don't bother.

You have pet turtles?How cool is that!I love turtles.I'd love to own one or ten.Lucky duck you are.

BBM
One or ten :eek: I love our pet turtles but they are so stinky and it seems all I ever do is clean their aquariums. My children "turtles" are much less stinky :) for the most part.

Wow, lots of people out of work just before the holidays. Several other huge, but not as recognizable to make the news, companies also announced closings this week including Sunlight Supply's aquatic division. People there are just devastated. The company announced the closing last week. This leaves a huge hole in my business and the industry I work in. Prayers for all these families.

Hostess going out of business; nearly 18,000 to be laid off

"We deeply regret the necessity of today's decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike," said Gregory F. Rayburn, chief executive officer. "Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders."

About one-third of the company's workers are union members who are unhappy about the company's cutbacks during its bankruptcy reorganization.

But problems with several unions -- including the Bakery, Confectionery, and Tobacco workers and the Grain Millers International Union -- have prevented the company from moving forward.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/20115...ess-nearly-18000-to-be-laid-off#ixzz2COUuHG8H

They used to be good, years and years ago! Now they taste like crisco mixed with wax.

THANK YOU! My mom would buy them for my children and my kids would call them "crisco cakes". Oh, they ate them up but after I called them that once, it stuck.

I haven't bought any in a long time but I will miss see that two pack of Twinkies at the grocery check out. It gave me something to lust after as I waited my turn in line.

Childhood memories!
But I must admit, I haven't bought the for years.
Basically because my hubby has diabetes and I am
over weight.
When grandchildren come over, I make home made goodies now.
They were great treats for lunch boxes back when my children were small.
I remember the old joke that twinkies had a shelf life of 20 years.
We have a store here that employes about 20 people and now I feel sad
that they also will be unemployed. :(

:what::what:

Oh, NOOOOOOOOO....

I don't know how my family will go on without Wonder Bread. There is nothing better than an after-Thanksgiving turkey sandwich (with salt, pepper and miracle whip) on white Wonder bread.

Ding-Dongs, Hostess cupcakes, Ho-Hos, Suzy-Qs....oh and TWINKIES (you could hide them in you room and know that you could eat them a couple of months later!!! - and you could buy them for 12 cents!!!)

I am devasted....

:please::please::please::please:

Someone save this great American Company...

CRUD!! My sensory sensitive son is orally defensive, wonder bread is his favorite (and mine). It would not be easy to replace it for DS.

Wonder Bread was a long time sponser of 'The Howdy Doody Show' and helps build bodies 12 ways. I guess those unemployed union workers sure showed them who's boss.

Hostess Brands closing for good

Hostess will move to sell assets

Author: By James O'Toole

Published On: Nov 16 2012 07:40:04 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -
Hostess Brands -- the maker of such iconic baked goods as Twinkies, Devil Dogs and Wonder Bread -- announced Friday that it is asking a federal bankruptcy court for permission to close its operations, blaming a strike by bakers protesting a new contract imposed on them.

The closing will result in Hostess' nearly 18,500 workers losing their jobs as the company shuts 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers nationwide. The bakers' union represents around 5,000...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifes...good/-/1718856/17438724/-/b2ew06/-/index.html

:what::what:

Oh, NOOOOOOOOO....

I don't know how my family will go on without Wonder Bread. There is nothing better than an after-Thanksgiving turkey sandwich (with salt, pepper and miracle whip) on white Wonder bread.

Ding-Dongs, Hostess cupcakes, Ho-Hos, Suzy-Qs....oh and TWINKIES (you could hide them in you room and know that you could eat them a couple of months later!!! - and you could buy them for 12 cents!!!)

I am devasted....

:please::please::please::please:

Someone save this great American Company...

well, just in case i dont know about ohio, but here in illinois we have "bunny bread" its not identical...but its darn close...look for it :)

and homemade twinkies are the BEST!! yummmm

I am in mourning!

Tomato sandwiches will never be the same

Oh no!! I feel so sad for all the workers :( Some have probably been there for years.

I am not much of a twinkie fan. But last year my daughter and I were watching Icarly, and they were eating these pink round balls, with a different name. We pass the sno balls and my daughter got all excited so I bought them. Damn they were good, I might have to stock up :)

Wonder Bread was a long time sponser of 'The Howdy Doody Show' and helps build bodies 12 ways. I guess those unemployed union workers sure showed them who's boss.

Just ready that Papa Johns had been operating at about a 10% profit margin for the last several years, but in the last 8 months they are down to 2%. Not sure if they are going to make it and know they can't afford the Universal Healthcare tax.

(sigh)

Considering we have an obesity epidemic in this country, eating less twinkies and pizza might be for the best.

I don't care about twinkies going away...but wonder bread? That's the only white bread sold at my grocery store! The other breads are rye, pumpernickel, sesame, etc. :( I don't know an alternative to Wonder Bread!!

I've never had a twinkie in my life...

Considering we have an obesity epidemic in this country, eating less twinkies and pizza might be for the best.

Give me liberty or give me death.

Patrick Henry

I don't care about twinkies going away...but wonder bread? That's the only white bread sold at my grocery store! The other breads are rye, pumpernickel, sesame, etc. :( I don't know an alternative to Wonder Bread!!

I've never had a twinkie in my life...

Somebody else will likely make white bread. Where there is a demand, there usually is a supply.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back