No One Really Knows What to Do With All of America’s Unclaimed Corpses

carbuff

Reaction score
Website
www.colealicem.com
Shocking details about what the medical examiners and detectives are dealing with:

Unclaimed Bodies From the Opioid Epidemic Are Crowding Morgues - The Atlantic

(Many of us here have worked with the fantastic Det. Krebs:)

Sarah Krebs is used to corpses going missing. As a detective who works in the missing-persons unit in Detroit, she has solved dozens of cases by matching up disappeared people to unidentified bodies left in state custody. But for older cases in which the county was supposed to have buried the body, Krebs say it’s common for her to order an exhumation from the local cemetery and discover the body she’s looking for is not there.

Anywhere from a few days to a few years later, those bones might turn up in a separate burial plot, or in a box on a medical examiner’s shelf, or in a law-enforcement evidence room, or in a county employee’s house. “I have multiple, multiple cases where we thought the body was buried and we found a couple days later that someone had it at home,” Krebs says.

Mexico wants a say in this as well..
596775561_750x422.jpg

157 unidentified bodies kept in morgue trailer in Mexico

Not sure if this is more Eco- Friendly...

The article mentions some municipalities in the US using something similar as a temporary solution. I guess it shouldn't be any worse than a refrigerated room?

Unless I missed something, I’m wondering why they don’t cremate these people. It would take up a lot less space to bury or store the remains, in case a family member did come forward.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back