Northern Utah-Insane bright light lit up my basement

My son and I saw a few the other day, but we live in the desert outside of Phoenix, so we have dark nights.
I'm jealous. The Leonoid meteor shower is awesome if you are in a place to see it. The middle of NYC is not the place.

You should go out into your backyard tonight SuziQ and see if you see any more.

:dance:Hey if it was a meteorite it might be worth some money... You never know. LOL get to looking or should I say digging.

about a year and a half ago we heard a really big bang looked outside did not see anything .Next day my son found a meteorite and a large dent in the ground.It is really cool and who knows what it might be worth!

Just wondering. Have you all guys happen to have noticed any "Men In Black" lurking about..............

By far the best video I have seen yet. Look at how visible the mountains are.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-CAbDHJGKI"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

A couple of these home camera sytems are really good. I wish I had one.

Wow! That is extremely bright, it must have been a big one! I've seen meteor showers, nothing like that though. Does it happen a lot there?
What causes it to be so bright?

I think this was a once in a lifetime event MeoW.

When you look out my window you see a river and a big pasture. It was so bright I could see everything across the river and my whole living room lit up more than when the sun is out.

I thought that a farmer had a spotlight. For some reason that ridiculous thought made sense to me at the time and I went to sleep.

Thinking about it a farmer having a spotlight across the river is much more freaky than the real reason. Yet, it was fine by me at the time.

It was so surreal.

Wow! That is extremely bright, it must have been a big one! I've seen meteor showers, nothing like that though. Does it happen a lot there?
What causes it to be so bright?

Very rare, and even more rare to have a sonic boom with one. My understanding is the brightness is caused by the meteor exploding. Usually they are so small they just pass through the atmosphere and fizzle out? In this case it's speculated to be the size of a basketball or an oven.

By far the best video I have seen yet. Look at how visible the mountains are.
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

A couple of these home camera sytems are really good. I wish I had one.

Holy cow that is phenomenal! I'm so jealous, nothing cool like that ever happens here in PA, booo. Well, I lie. We were in the car a few years back and saw a huge meteor streak across the sky with a gigantic tail, bright blue/white. It was breathtaking. But it was still light out so we didn't get the full effect.

It would have been so neat to see that meteor in Utah the other night!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keziah16
Back