GUILTY Norway - Bombing & Shooting at Youth Camp in Oslo, 22 July 2011 *parole request 2021*

I am trying to wrap my head around one part of this tragedy. Apparently this ONE freak was able to spend an hour and a half walking around killing innocent kids. Nearly 100 victims were shot before it finally ended. How was that possible? Was there no security at all in the camp?

I can't get my mind around that either- I guess the fact that they were on an island left them like ducks in a barrel.

But no one tried to tackle him? Maybe it just isn't part of their culture to see this type of violence and they just weren't prepared.

I can't get my mind around that either- I guess the fact that they were on an island left them like ducks in a barrel.

But no one tried to tackle him? Maybe it just isn't part of their culture to see this type of violence and they just weren't prepared.

Even here in the U.S., where gun ownership is much more common than in most European countries, I don't know that officials running a youth camp would be prepared for a shooter with automatic weapons. I don't recall anyone having firearms when I went to camp as a kid.

And as others have pointed out, the victims were trapped on a small island. Some of the pictures show kids with their hands up, as if they were trying to surrender to the gunman. How were they to know he was only interested in the highest possible body count?

To tackle him they would need a gun. My child has never been to a camp with security let alone armed security. He's a fanatic, he had a belief in a cause which justified his actions at least to himself, a hero in his own mind.
Europe does have a simmering problem, how to fix it i have know idea.
Just look at their riots -UK included- very strong emotions. Very destructive.

Guns, laws, and Norway (Wiki)
---
Gun ownership is a non-controversial subject in Norwegian politics. This is because most illegally used guns are stolen from larger, often military, storage facilities. Break-ins in private homes seldom lead to the theft of weapons, unless the owner has not followed the regulations. Thus, private ownership is not under scrutiny. By far, the most crimes are committed with stolen weapons, not legally obtained ones.
---
As this monster apparently was a hunter at least some of his weapons were obtained legally. Much more at link.

My thoughts go out to the victims and the families. Just am heartbroken over this terrible tragedy. I just am so upset and crying.

RIP

Goz

To tackle him they would need a gun. My child has never been to a camp with security let alone armed security. He's a fanatic, he had a belief in a cause which justified his actions at least to himself, a hero in his own mind.
Europe does have a simmering problem, how to fix it i have know idea.
Just look at their riots -UK included- very strong emotions. Very destructive.

My kid's summer camp had a locked rack with loaded rifles in the main office. But that was for bear or mountain lion. Since they were on an island they had no need for that I suppose. Too bad.

I think countries like Norway are where we were 20/30 years ago- this is a horrible wake up call.
I was raised in Littleton CO so believe me I understand the whole "it couldn't happen here" mentality- The number of dead is just so overwhelming.
And please understand I was not implying that those kids should have done something to stop the gunman, I am just surprised no one tried only because here in this country that is the first reaction any more. We seem to have that flight or fight mind set that countries that see less violence don't have--they are kind of like innocent trusting bunnies walking into the wolfs den.

wow just getting local news tweets of an unconfirmed mass shooting in Federal Way WA (Des Moines)

Or maybe because he is a lone nut-job?:waitasec:

Nobody's denying that lone nutjobs sometimes kill people.

The question Cypros was addressing is why a shooter named "Mohammed" is immediately assumed to be part of a terrorist organization, while one named "Bob" or "Bill" is assumed to be acting alone.

In this case, a Muslim organization actually took credit for the violence at first, so people might well be expected to believe those reports.

I am trying to wrap my head around one part of this tragedy. Apparently this ONE freak was able to spend an hour and a half walking around killing innocent kids. Nearly 100 victims were shot before it finally ended. How was that possible? Was there no security at all in the camp?

Here is a first hand account of what happened from one of the kids that survived. Translated to English by Google.

http://translate.google.no/translat...t/article4181327.ece&sl=no&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

From what she is describing it seems like there was more than one shooter dressed in police uniforms. It just seems that this guy was left behind and caught for whatever reason.

I think countries like Norway are where we were 20/30 years ago- this is a horrible wake up call.
I was raised in Littleton CO so believe me I understand the whole "it couldn't happen here" mentality- The number of dead is just so overwhelming.
And please understand I was not implying that those kids should have done something to stop the gunman, I am just surprised no one tried only because here in this country that is the first reaction any more. We seem to have that flight or fight mind set that countries that see less violence don't have--they are kind of like innocent trusting bunnies walking into the wolfs den.

wow just getting local news tweets of an unconfirmed mass shooting in Federal Way WA (Des Moines)

The Federal Way shooting was an ex-boyfriend shooting his ex-girlfriend's current boyfriend. Awful for those involved, of course, but kind of overshadowed by the news from Norway.

http://www.king5.com/news/Suspect-arrested-in-Federal-Way-fatal-shooting-116815818.html

I still do not understand what his motive or his mission was ? Was he a nutjob or an activist of some kind? I guess he was both. How could anyone slaughter 100 innocent kids at a summer camp?

Here is a first hand account of what happened from one of the kids that survived. Translated to English by Google.

http://translate.google.no/translat...t/article4181327.ece&sl=no&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

From what she is describing it seems like there was more than one shooter dressed in police uniforms. It just seems that this guy was left behind and caught for whatever reason.

I'm very surprised there are still questions as to the number of shooters on the island.

There were so many witnesses, I would have thought that would be fairly easy to determine.

FYI, Wikipedia has been on top of this tragedy practically from the beginning

2011 Norway attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBM.

I hope they don't bury this investigation and jump to the "lone nut" conclusion.
There's a lot more to this, I feel.

I still do not understand what his motive or his mission was ? Was he a nutjob or an activist of some kind? I guess he was both. How could anyone slaughter 100 innocent kids at a summer camp?

Apparently the camp was a youth camp for the Labor Party and he opposed the Labor Party's political views. I guess this was his way to strike terror into the hearts of the party members.

This camp was for kids who were interested in political/public service. The current Prime Minister said he attended when younger. It's affiliated with the Labor Party. I guess the murderer's philosophy was... I was going to use that horrible phrase used when killing Native American children in the 1860s. I guess he may have felt he was wiping out potential young leaders of the party to which he was opposed. Hopefully, it only galvanizes them.

Coward.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4385726...-calls-deeds-necessary-lawyer-says/?GT1=43001

The Federal Way shooting was an ex-boyfriend shooting his ex-girlfriend's current boyfriend. Awful for those involved, of course, but kind of overshadowed by the news from Norway.

http://www.king5.com/news/Suspect-arrested-in-Federal-Way-fatal-shooting-116815818.html

Not the same shooting- the new one was at a shopping center in Kent (still looks closer to Des Moines) to be at a low rider car show- looks like a drive by and at least 8 people transported to
hospital doesn't sound like there are serious injuries.

Nothing compared to Norway but just an exclamation point on the violence these days that was close to home (my daughter just moved from Kent 2 months ago)

Lawyer: Norway terror suspect will 'explain himself' Monday (CNN)

Says attacks "horrible" but "necessary"

Oslo, Norway (CNN) -- The suspect in the bombing and mass shooting in Norway believed the terrorist attacks were "horrible," but "in his head (they) were necessary," a man who identified himself as the suspect's lawyer told Norwegian broadcaster TV2.

Geir Lippestad told TV2 late Saturday that he represented Anders Behring Breivik, who was arrested Friday after twin terror attacks that left at least 92 dead.

Breivik "is ready to explain himself" in a court hearing Monday, Lippestad said.
---
(more at link above)

While I am not a supporter of the Death Penalty with almost 100 dead I am having a bit of a hard time with the thought the most this guy will get is 21 years.

Kalekona:

Yes, the maximum sentence in Norway is 21 years.

But we have this other arrangement called "forvaring", which can be directly translated as "custody". This means that the original sentence can be extended an unlimited number of times - meaning you can get life in prison.

However, this has never been done before.
First time for everything!!

I guess if ever a precedent was called for..

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back