NV NV - Charles, 8, & Jennifer Chia, 6, Reno, 18 Oct 1989

Chia murders 30 years later: 'I always pray that somebody will help me'

NOTE: The story was updated to show Secret Witness is still offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of any suspects involved in the case. The story also now includes a phone number for the FBI and retired Reno Police Det. Ron Dreher.

Ann Chang still remembers the very last conversation she had with her children.

“I called from Taiwan, and I talked to them and said, ‘You need to be good for Grandma,’” Chang, now 63, said. “‘Make sure you finish your homework and not watch too much TV.’”

It’s been 30 years since her children, Charlie, 8, and Jennifer, 6, were kidnapped on Oct. 18, 1989.

Their skeletal remains were later discovered partially hidden at a turnout near Blairsden, Calif., about 60 miles west of Reno.

On almost every anniversary of the children’s abduction, police reach out to the media in the hope of attracting witnesses to come forward.

Public attention
Publicity following the 10th anniversary generated a tip that could still be the key to solving the case.

In 2000, a witness reported seeing a white Volkswagen hatchback near the gravesite around the time of the abduction. The car was registered to convicted felon James Grooms, who spent nine years in prison for trying to extort money from Chang just a week after the abduction.

“He was a suspect throughout the time he was in prison and when he got out," said retired Reno Police Detective Ron Dreher.........

Chia murders 30 years later: 'I always pray that somebody will help me'

NOTE: The story was updated to show Secret Witness is still offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of any suspects involved in the case. The story also now includes a phone number for the FBI and retired Reno Police Det. Ron Dreher.

Ann Chang still remembers the very last conversation she had with her children.

“I called from Taiwan, and I talked to them and said, ‘You need to be good for Grandma,’” Chang, now 63, said. “‘Make sure you finish your homework and not watch too much TV.’”

It’s been 30 years since her children, Charlie, 8, and Jennifer, 6, were kidnapped on Oct. 18, 1989.

Their skeletal remains were later discovered partially hidden at a turnout near Blairsden, Calif., about 60 miles west of Reno.

On almost every anniversary of the children’s abduction, police reach out to the media in the hope of attracting witnesses to come forward.

Public attention
Publicity following the 10th anniversary generated a tip that could still be the key to solving the case.

In 2000, a witness reported seeing a white Volkswagen hatchback near the gravesite around the time of the abduction. The car was registered to convicted felon James Grooms, who spent nine years in prison for trying to extort money from Chang just a week after the abduction.

“He was a suspect throughout the time he was in prison and when he got out," said retired Reno Police Detective Ron Dreher.........

Here is another report about this case generated by the recent anniversary:

The Chia kids murder: Still unsolved 30 years later

So i assume these kids never made it inside to the apartment? No lunch box on the kitchen counter...

And was anyone home at the apartment or did they go home to an empty apartment?

The grandmother of the two children (Anne Chang's mother) was babysitting them at the time and initially called the police when she realized the children were missing. They never made it to their own apartment, but may have made it inside another apartment/at least into the complex

Bumping for Charles and Jennifer. I wonder if there were any serious suspects developed outside of Grooms? He sounds like an epic creep, but there’s nothing concrete to tie him to the crime. Someone has to know where that car is, or what he did with it. Hopefully these children and their families can find justice soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back