NV NV - Elko Co, WhtFem 25-27, UP4920, blonde, may be from WY, scars, Nov'93

Possibly Margie Ann Ranshaw from Michigan?

Doe Network

Name: Margie Ann Ranshaw
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: May 17, 1987
Location Last Seen: Barryton, Mecosta County, Michigan
Physical Description
Date of Birth: Circa 1958
Race: White / Caucasian
Height: 5'2" - 5'6"
Weight: 130 - 140 lbs
Hair Color: Blond/Strawberry.
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Scar/mark: She had a small scar by her eye brow.
Identifiers
Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance
Margie was last seen leaving in her car to go get a gallon of milk. Her vehicle was found abandoned in Howell Michigan a few weeks later.
Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Mecosta County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 2315920150
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 2435-87
NamUs Case Number: 14788
Information Source(s)
NamUs

Attachments

• 1C6070AA-A3D0-403A-9502-2C97CCD94227.jpeg
    1C6070AA-A3D0-403A-9502-2C97CCD94227.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 6
2 more rule outs were added to this Jane Doe's NamUs profile on 6/15/22
Currently 16 rule outs are listed. The two bolded are were just added.

MP22772
Amy
Lovely
11/30/1992
Broward
FL

MP6824
Elsa
Wind
09/26/1992
Nevada
CA

MP10939
Theresa
Kaiser
12/24/1991
Manatee
FL

MP491
Sherry
Daugherty
08/29/1991
Maricopa
AZ

MP4711
Andrea
Durham
02/01/1990
Okaloosa
FL

MP4711
Andrea
Durham
02/01/1990
Okaloosa
FL

MP15153
Stefanie
Stroh
10/15/1987
Elko
NV

MP11763
Katheryne
Eggleston
08/02/1993
Multnomah
OR

MP974
Patricia
Schmidt
06/04/1985
Henrico
VA

MP7584
Parley
Pate
02/09/1993
Wake
NC

MP795
Lola
Fry
11/14/1993
Johnson
IN

MP7870
Rebecca
Dunn
05/10/1979
Clark
NV

MP1364
Debra
Frost
07/09/1984
Salt Lake
UT

MP2383
Sherri
White
02/14/1990
Fairbanks North Star
AK

MP7135
Penny
Lease
06/02/1989
Champaign
IL

MP2791
Gayle
Marks
10/18/1988
San Joaquin
CA

Assuming for a moment that the isotope analysis is accurate (timing), then this lady "moved" into this area sometime around the beginning of the summer (May-ish). When I think about "May/beginning of summer", I think about things like school ending, summer jobs, etc.

I have some difficulty with the pinpointing of a specific location (Afton) - anything I have ever seen in terms of isotope analysis shows a map of sort of "regions" if you will. As already noted, Afton has a very small population (not even 2,000 with the 2010 census). I'd be very curious to know what other areas fall within the "Afton" region.

Assuming for a moment that the isotope analysis is accurate (timing), then this lady "moved" into this area sometime around the beginning of the summer (May-ish). When I think about "May/beginning of summer", I think about things like school ending, summer jobs, etc.

I have some difficulty with the pinpointing of a specific location (Afton) - anything I have ever seen in terms of isotope analysis shows a map of sort of "regions" if you will. As already noted, Afton has a very small population (not even 2,000 with the 2010 census). I'd be very curious to know what other areas fall within the "Afton" region.
There's not much out there. A few other towns are in Lincoln County but the closest 'city' is Jackson Hole, which is about 70 miles north.

There's not much out there. A few other towns are in Lincoln County but the closest 'city' is Jackson Hole, which is about 70 miles north.
Thanks! Yep, not much. I'm wondering what also falls with the same isotopic region as Afton - like on the graphs that are out there somewhere. I found a map in a scientific article, but I don't want to post it because they provide all types of mathematical equations and references and I get lost, even with a map - haha. Anyway, I'm hoping someone here knows more about the isotope region that includes Afton - I think that will broaden the scope of the area in which she may have actually been living in the previous 7 months.

Thanks! Yep, not much. I'm wondering what also falls with the same isotopic region as Afton - like on the graphs that are out there somewhere. I found a map in a scientific article, but I don't want to post it because they provide all types of mathematical equations and references and I get lost, even with a map - haha. Anyway, I'm hoping someone here knows more about the isotope region that includes Afton - I think that will broaden the scope of the area in which she may have actually been living in the previous 7 months.

I don't know if this will help, but--this is Afton. Afton · Wyoming 83110 (Afton is at the marker labeled "World's Largest Elkhorn Arch." Don't ask me, I didn't do it.) It's in a high mountain valley that runs north and south for quite a distance. Part of it extends into Idaho.

I would guess, though I don't know, that the isotopes would be pretty much the same through that entire valley.

I used to drive through here when I was a student at Utah State (shortest way from Bozeman to Logan UT). It's an agricultural area. There's some tourism--hunting, fishing mostly, a few spiffy hot springs and mineral springs. But basically not much.

My first guess would be somebody who left looking for a better life in California/Nevada, and her relatives assumed they just lost touch.

I don't know if this will help, but--this is Afton. Afton · Wyoming 83110 (Afton is at the marker labeled "World's Largest Elkhorn Arch." Don't ask me, I didn't do it.) It's in a high mountain valley that runs north and south for quite a distance. Part of it extends into Idaho.

I would guess, though I don't know, that the isotopes would be pretty much the same through that entire valley.

I used to drive through here when I was a student at Utah State (shortest way from Bozeman to Logan UT). It's an agricultural area. There's some tourism--hunting, fishing mostly, a few spiffy hot springs and mineral springs. But basically not much.

My first guess would be somebody who left looking for a better life in California/Nevada, and her relatives assumed they just lost touch.
I saw that too, the elkhorn arch :)

That article I referenced with all of the mathematical formulas, etc., that I did not previously post ... is Hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios in human hair are related to geography. The figure below is included in the article (2008, albeit an older article, my thoughts are there are likely not great variances in the regions with newer data, but I do not know) - the figure shows the analysis and demonstrated relationship of hydrogen and oxygen relationship in human hair based on sample set from 65 cities across the US (Geographic Information System-generated maps of the predicted average H isotope ratios (δ2Hh) (A) and average O isotope ratios (δ18Oh) (B) of human scalp hair across the coterminous United States). Having said that, if this map can be used with even a modicum of reliability, then Afton, Wyoming is in the blue/darker blue region along with the other states/areas in the same color. So to me then, her 7 months could have been spent in any of those areas, but I am certainly not knowledgeable on the subject or how the results were obtained or to what level of accuracy - just putting it out there :)

1655432564814.png

Hm. If it's that entire dark blue region, even the smaller one in the lower map, that makes a good possibility that she was working in the tourist industry in Grand Teton, Yellowstone, or one of the many other summer/fall parks and tourist attractions in the area. It's a little late for it, but maybe she was moving to NV/CA for a winter season job when she ran afoul of the killer.

Might be a silly suggestion but if they can’t find a match through DNA or Genetic Genealogy i know that the national center for missing and exploded children use to send postcards or something like that in the mail to people around the country about missing kids etc they may still do that I’m not sure but here is an idea that might work. Is to the send the photo down blow to people in Lincoln County as a postcard with information on this girl such as a her estimated height, weight etc and see if Elko County Sheriffs office receives any tips on who she is or who killed her. If they offered even a small reward it might work. Just a suggestion because everyone gets mail and while most people are on the internet now a days not everyone is interested in true crime like us so they may not know about her case until they see what she looked like by getting a postcard in the mail with information about her murder and that she is unidentified.

Attachments

• A2586B3A-5A9E-41BB-A060-454639F2BDB0.jpeg
    A2586B3A-5A9E-41BB-A060-454639F2BDB0.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 6
Might be a silly suggestion but if they can’t find a match through DNA or Genetic Genealogy i know that the national center for missing and exploded children use to send postcards or something like that in the mail to people around the country about missing kids etc they may still do that I’m not sure but here is an idea that might work. Is to the send the photo down blow to people in Lincoln County as a postcard with information on this girl such as a her estimated height, weight etc and see if Elko County Sheriffs office receives any tips on who she is or who killed her. If they offered even a small reward it might work. Just a suggestion because everyone gets mail and while most people are on the internet now a days not everyone is interested in true crime like us so they may not know about her case until they see what she looked like by getting a postcard in the mail with information about her murder and that she is unidentified.
BBM

I know it was a typo or autocorrect but it made me laugh first thing when I'm a bear in the mornings, so, thanks. :D

2 more rule outs were added to this Jane Doe's NamUs profile on 6/15/22
Currently 16 rule outs are listed. The two bolded are were just added.

MP22772
Amy
Lovely
11/30/1992
Broward
FL

MP6824
Elsa
Wind
09/26/1992
Nevada
CA

MP10939
Theresa
Kaiser
12/24/1991
Manatee
FL

MP491
Sherry
Daugherty
08/29/1991
Maricopa
AZ

MP4711
Andrea
Durham
02/01/1990
Okaloosa
FL

MP4711
Andrea
Durham
02/01/1990
Okaloosa
FL

MP15153
Stefanie
Stroh
10/15/1987
Elko
NV

MP11763
Katheryne
Eggleston
08/02/1993
Multnomah
OR

MP974
Patricia
Schmidt
06/04/1985
Henrico
VA

MP7584
Parley
Pate
02/09/1993
Wake
NC

MP795
Lola
Fry
11/14/1993
Johnson
IN

MP7870
Rebecca
Dunn
05/10/1979
Clark
NV

MP1364
Debra
Frost
07/09/1984
Salt Lake
UT

MP2383
Sherri
White
02/14/1990
Fairbanks North Star
AK

MP7135
Penny
Lease
06/02/1989
Champaign
IL

MP2791
Gayle
Marks
10/18/1988
San Joaquin
CA

I don't see any new exclusions.

Here are two articles i found on the tapatalk forum i thought were interesting I’m assuming these leads went nowhere.

Elko Daily 2009

After more than 15 years, police believe they are close to finding out this woman's identity and who her killer might be. Journigan said for the majority of her life, the woman lived in the Southwest - southern California, Arizona or New Mexico - but the most precise information from the sample is that for the last seven months of her life she lived in the area of Afton, Wyo. At one point it was believed the Shafter Jane may have been in her 30s, but Journigan said carbon dating has determined she was 27 at the time of her death. Autopsy records from the time indicate she had a child. She was also found with pink nail polish on her fingernails. Journigan said the sheriff's office is working with the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office and the Wyoming Division of Investigation in Wyoming to determine the woman's identity. Investigators are searching dentist offices, hospitals and even beauty parlors since the woman's hands appeared to be professionally manicured. The medical examiner determined the woman had endometriosis, and may have been undergoing treatment for it. The woman's teeth were in good condition, but she was in the process of having a root canal. Records indicate there were traces of alcohol and marijuana in her system. It is believed she was dead for at least six days before being discovered. Journigan said the woman had a 2-inch by 4-inch mark on the back of her right calf. The examiner thought it was a burn scar, but Journigan believes it may actually be a birth mark. The only fingerprint from the woman was lifted from her right thumb. Detective Mike Kolsch said in an Elko Daily Free Press article published a few days after the incident that the woman may have never been reported missing. "Her lifestyle may have been such that no one knew she was missing," Kolsch said. Although the woman's identity is still unknown, Journigan said there is a man who may have been involved in her murder. Dale Wayne Eaton, who was in Elko at the time of the murder, is now on death row after being convicted of several murders - all female victims. Journigan said Eaton had girlfriends in Elko, had a child who went to school here and worked here. The details from several of Eaton's murders match those of the Shafter Jane scenario. Eaton was the subject of a domestic violence case, but it never went to court because the victim fled the country. Journigan said Eaton kept trophies from his murders, and had even given a hunting knife to the woman who had fled the country. She now lives in the United States and has been interviewed by police. In the case of one of Eaton's victims, the woman was tortured for six to seven days before he killed her. Journigan said a timeline has been constructed on Eaton, tying him to Lovelock, Las Vegas and other locales where women have been murdered in similar manners. Technology may lead to victim’s identity

Elko Daily March 2010

Just as some leads run out, others start up in the ongoing Shafter Jane Doe cold case.

Elko County sheriff’s Detective Dennis Journigan has been reviewing the case since he received chemical analysis results back in early 2009 that used isotope information from the murder victim’s hair to determine she’d lived the last few months of her life near Afton, Wyo.

Both the Casper Star-Tribune and Billings Gazette, sister papers of the Elko Daily Free Press, picked up the story on Shafter Jane, the name given to a woman whose body was found Nov. 16, 1993, at the Shafter exit off Interstate 80 in eastern Elko County. As a result, Journigan said he was contacted almost immediately in the form of phone calls and e-mails after the story ran.

Some of the leads prompted him to contact authorities in Sweetwater, Wyo., about a missing woman in their records who was about the same age, disappeared about the same time, had also had a child and had a burn scar on the inside of her leg.

But with all the circumstantial facts adding up, the hard evidence of the dental records and fingerprints just couldn’t clinch it. It wasn’t the same woman.

Still, just as one door closes another opens.

Journigan said he recently received “another bit of info” from a man who claims to be a former manager at the Orvis outdoor recreation store near Jackson, Wyo. He claims to have worked with a woman who also went missing in the same period of time Shafter Jane was found in Elko County. Jackson Hole is just north of Afton.

The former manager claims the woman worked at Orvis up until that time and several things fit. Although he can’t recall the woman’s name, he said the FBI composite photo looks very much like her. She, too, was pregnant, about the same age and had — as Journigan puts it — “old man trouble. Leads keep coming in Shafter Jane cold case

Paywall for both links and the tapatalk link

I Care---missing persons cold cases-Unidentified female found in 1993 in Elko Nevada

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back