NV - Girl tells police she, brother imprisoned; three arrested

Taximom, did you notice that none of the children were enrolled in school until the LL called truant officers.

SewingDeb said:
Taximom, did you notice that none of the children were enrolled in school until the LL called truant officers.
YES! It's so unbelievable how these people planned this out and were able to keep these children hidden even from repairmen etc. This proves to me that they KNEW what they were doing was wrong.

Eye for an eye here. Lock 'em up in the bathroom and slide the single baloney slice under the door once per day. (and no running water either):behindbar

CARSON CITY, Nev. -- A judge on Tuesday scheduled a trial starting Sept. 19 for the mother, stepfather and grandmother of two children on felony charges of abusing the children for years by locking them up and starving them.
District Judge Bill Maddox scheduled the trial for Esther Rios, 56, Regina Rios, 33, and her husband, Tomas Granados, 33, on six counts apiece. They're to be tried together, although Regina Rios' lawyer indicated he may seek a separate trial for his client.
The three had been bound over for trial by a justice court judge who compared the two children to Nazi death camp survivors. Investigators and doctors who testified in earlier proceedings described the case as one of the worst child abuse cases they've seen.
Dr. Kathi Amrhein, who treated the 16-year-old girl and her 11-year-old brother, has said the children suffered possibly irreversible health problems as a result of the deprivation.
The 4-foot-tall girl weighed about 40 pounds when she fled from her home and was found by sheriff's deputies, thanks to a tip from a woman who saw her on the street Jan. 19. The 3½-foot-tall boy weighed 31 pounds.
While the children have since gained weight, Amrhein said it "would be a miracle" if the girl is able to get to near-normal height even with growth hormone treatments. Amrhein added the boy's legs and feet were deformed due to the prolonged confinement in a bathroom in the family's apartment, and the girl was scarred from beatings the girl said her grandmother gave her.
http://www.ksat.com/news/8479378/detail.html
:behindbar Hope they get put away for a long time.

Forever sounds like about the right amount of time for these so-called people to be locked up. I just cannot comprehend how anyone could treat another human like this (nor even an animal).

Charges of "abusing children" hardly seems fitting. It seems to me they should be charged with CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY and face the death penalty!

Esther Rios

Guilty Plea
Sentence Date: 11/29/2006

Offense: 2 counts False Imprisonment
Sentence: 6 years - 15 years each count - Consecutive

Offense: 2 counts Child Abuse - Serious Bodily Harm
Sentence: 8 years - 20 years each count - Consecutive

Total Imprisonment: 34 years - 70 years
Projected Release Date: Unknown

Regina Rios

Guilty Plea

Offense: 1 count False Imprisonment
Sentence: 6 years - 15 years

Offense: 2 counts Child Abuse - Serious Bodily Harm
Sentence: 8 years - 20 years each count - Consecutive

Total Imprisonment: 22 years - 55 years

Tomas Granados

Guilty Plea

Offense: 1 count False Imprisonment
Sentence: 6 years - 15 years

Offense: 1 count Child Abuse - Serious Bodily Harm
Sentence: 8 years - 20 years - Consecutive

Total Imprisonment: 14 years - 35 years

Thursday, November 30, 2006

CARSON CITY - Six inches taller and twice the weight she was when she escaped the confines of her family's Como Street apartment nearly a year ago, a Carson City girl asked a judge Wednesday to lock her grandmother up until she was 85 years old.

"Because of you, instead of driving a car, going out on dates, looking and feeling like a regular teenager, I am now a 17-year-old in fourth grade, learning what I should have learned a long time ago," the 98-pound Jasmine said breathlessly but unflinchingly to her grandmother, Esther Rios, 57. "I am 4 feet, 6 inches tall. I still can't walk or run right. My teeth are badly damaged. I need glasses now. I really don't know who I am or where I belong because of you."

snip

On Wednesday, looking like a 7-year-old, a now 12-year-old David was dressed smartly in a suit and tie, with glasses resting on his nose. He took the stand for the first time and spoke directly to his mother and grandmother.

"Grandmother, why did you lock me up? Why did you beat me and my sister and make (another sister) bust open my head? You didn't feed me for three days. You were mean to me and my sister," the 4-foot-tall boy said as he glared at Esther Rios. "I should be in sixth grade, but I'm in third because you wouldn't let me go to school. I'm short because you wouldn't feed me. I can never see mommy again because of what you did."

Nearly a year later, David has gained 14 pounds and is able to walk. A speech impediment, making his speech hard to decipher 316 days ago, was barely noticeable after months of therapy.

Much more at link:
http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20061130/NEWS/111300055

UGHHHHH, the children's testimony had me in tears. I hope they can continue to get the support they need to work toward a normal existence. Soooooo sad.

they really seemed to hate the grandmother yet their mother & her b/f were convicted of the same charges ... makes me wonder

and why those two and not the rest of the kids? weird case ...

it's been almost five years since the trial - they would be close to 22 and 17 now
I hope they've been able to make even more progress and I hope life blesses them with bright, happy futures

they really seemed to hate the grandmother yet their mother & her b/f were convicted of the same charges ... makes me wonder

it's been almost five years since the trial - they would be close to 22 and 17 now
I hope they've been able to make even more progress and I hope life blesses them with bright, happy futures

The mother and the stepfather are adults, and thus responsible for the welfare of the children/stepchildren, so why would that be surprising?
None of them looks like they were missing a meal.

According to the kids, the mother and stepfather were acting under orders from the grandmother. They were prosecuted accordingly, but the children place the most blame on the grandmother as the ringleader.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back