NV - Police fatally shoot man holding cell phone

He was walking away and didn't have a gun.

I don't know what else to say.

He was a fleeing felon ---a dangerous criminal, running from a CONVICTION/ They were allowed to shoot him at that point. He was a public safety hazard and could not be allowed to walk away.

He was walking away and didn't have a gun.

I don't know what else to say.

He is not allowed to walk away. They had federal agents, a helicopter, 2 k-9 teams, and 6 federal agents, plus Vegas PD officers, ALL OF THEM there to apprehend this dangerous convicted criminal. He is not legally allowed to 'walk away.' He was convicted of violent crimes, and is considered dangerous to public safety.

It does not matter if he was or was not an attempted murder suspect. The reality is he was just convicted of kidnapping, armed robbery, aggravated assault, in a recent home invasion. So that shows what a dangerous person he would be if he were allowed to continue running through peoples backyards. If he was allowed to 'walk away'--where do you think he would go? I think he'd go into the first home he could manage to get into.

What would we be saying about LE if they let him 'walk away', and he ended up taking someone hostage and harming/killing them?

He is not allowed to walk away. They had federal agents, a helicopter, 2 k-9 teams, and 6 federal agents, plus Vegas PD officers, ALL OF THEM there to apprehend this dangerous convicted criminal. He is not legally allowed to 'walk away.' He was convicted of violent crimes, and is considered dangerous to public safety.

It does not matter if he was or was not an attempted murder suspect. The reality is he was just convicted of kidnapping, armed robbery, aggravated assault, in a recent home invasion. So that shows what a dangerous person he would be if he were allowed to continue running through peoples backyards. If he was allowed to 'walk away'--where do you think he would go? I think he'd go into the first home he could manage to get into.

What would we be saying about LE if they let him 'walk away', and he ended up taking someone hostage and harming/killing them?

UBM

Walking away does appear to be what he was doing - according to the scant video released by LE. While it is not legal for him to do so, after being ordered to stop/freeze, it is not legal to shoot him for that reason - it doesn't matter how many times someone says it is or repeats what the original charges were. They are two separate acts - apples and oranges.

After any LE shooting, LE has to ensure they have - 'we thought he had a weapon' or 'he advanced toward an officer' or the ever popular 'he grabbed for my gun' - it's suppose to justify the act of shooting him for continuing to walk.

For some, LE making up a scenario is not ok. For some, after reading initial incorrect info released by LE, again - the whole video is required in order to see the credibility in the new info.

Review finds police did not attempt to use non-lethal force before fatal shooting

Las Vegas police officers involved in the New Year’s Eve shooting of an unarmed man did not attempt to use non-lethal force to subdue him before they opened fire, according to a public fact-finding review held Monday.

The county holds reviews whenever the district attorney’s office determines that officers involved in police shootings will not be prosecuted.

Keith Childress, Jr., 23, was killed by Metropolitan police Sgt. Robert Bohanon and officer Blake Walford on Dec. 31 after they mistook his cellphone for a gun, Metro detective Craig Jex said Monday.

Bohanon and Walford were both wearing body cameras during the shooting, but only Bohanon’s had been turned on, Jex said. It wasn’t clear why Waldorf’s camera wasn’t on.

Both officers had tasers but their maximum range is 25 feet, and Childress was 45 feet away when he was shot, Jex said.

Officer James Ledogar and a police dog were also at the scene, but the dog was’t deployed until after Childress had been shot. Jex said Ledogar released the dog while approaching Childress, but didn’t offer further details.

Bonahan and Walford were placed on administrative leave after the shooting, but as of Monday it was unclear if they had returned to work.

I am speechless reading this.

Thank you for the information Bluesneakers.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back