NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something we discussed (and suggested) earlier: having the LDS Church do a "broadcast email" to all of their churches, with the alert about Steven being missing and including the poster as an attachment.

That way, they could forward it to their members OR at least post it on the bulletin board.

The website we non-members have access to, doesn't have email addresses.

BUT....we have some very good LDS members here who could start that ball rolling, because they'd know exactly how to start something like that.

Do we know for sure this was never done? It sure would have been more helpful (and probably fruitful!) 4 or 5 months ago.

If it wasn't done, I'm going to be pizzed. I've always said, the sheer number of LDS folks in the Vegas/Henderson area would be a virtual army - one that should have been mobilized months ago.

Steven's St. George ward could/should have done it right away. For cryin out loud.

You can find online websites that will (claim to) show ALL cell towers in a city - and when you view Vegas, it's like a Christmas tree lot.

You will see many towers that are not AT&T, but you won't know who they belong to. And if they're "generic", only the equipment would be registered with the FCC. Then there's the ones on the trailers.

With all of the possibilities involved in a cell connection (and him being "roaming"), I really don't think we can "track" his movements that way.

I'm not sure I agree with you, laytonian. Sure, there are a lot of different factors that go into whether a cell phones hits off this tower or that one. And none of us here are experts. And I realize there are all sorts of maps online where I could have gotten the information but I wanted to check out the actual area where he was for myself. I know the area well but never really paid attention to the cell towers until now. As a local, who has been all over these streets, I think we may be on to something here. What REALLY sticks out to me is the Pecos ping from early in the morning. I'll tell you why.

If you do a search for an ATT Tower on Pecos, it says there are none. So, it must be somebody else's tower. . .VErizon, T-Mobile, whoever. Well, Pecos, just the road itself, sticks out to me because it is to the far east in Las Vegas. And it runs south not far from the Whitney Ranch area. But, I have a totally different take on the Pecos hit.

I look at the ping after it, the one at Bermuda and Cactus. Now that one is near the 15 and several miles to the West of Pecos Rd. They are no where near each other. Also, in sea level terms, Pecos is much lower than the I-15and Bermuda and Cactus streets. So there is absolutely no chance that Steven was still on Pecos and picked up a signal from Cactus/Bermuda. And that confused me. Why would he be WAY East early in the morning, come back the other way to the Cactus/Bermuda area near the I-15 and then go to SCA. Sure, he may be just driving around but. . .

But, then I noticed something. FOREVER, we have been wondering where Steven spent the night between the 12th and 13th. Well, it just so happens that Pecos if you follow it north runs into Craig Rd. up in North Las Vegas and the largest truck stop in Las Vegas is there. It's a Pilot Truck Stop. Is that a coincidence?

See the I-15 for a long time runs parallel to Pecos but eventually the I-15 curves and it and Pecos almost meet up. And as a local I forgot all about that. Well, I knew it, I just don't go up that way much.

Follow me here. . .is it not possible, and maybe probable, Steven drives down from St. George that night. He gets tired. He pulls off the highway in North Las Vegas at that truck stop at Pecos and Craig. Very, very logical thing to do. The next morning, he gets woken up by his phone ringing. And the antenna that is being used is one right there at Pecos and Craig. It would probably be a powerful one since all the truckers stay there and talk.

So, it's GW on the phone. They talk. Then, Steven goes inside cleans up. Does this. Does that. Then, two hours later he simply gets back on the I-15 heading to SCA. Then, the next ping hits him on the I-15 when he is near Bermuda/Cactus since he is headed to the St. Rose Parkway exit which is in far south Las Vegas. And that is on his way to SCA.

See, this would keep his movements fairly logical. Otherwise, if we think that he was somewhere way down on Pecos east of the I-15, we have him driving all over the place. But, I think my explanation fills at least a few holes: Where he spent the night and where was he exactly when GW called.

Think about it.

But he didn't hide the trip. He told both GW and SA where he was.

Yeah - but why didn't he tell them BEFORE they called him? Didn't GW once say that Steven always let him know when he wasn't going to be at church.

And how often did that happen? Was it common for Steven to miss church?

The 4:36pm call to VM occurred an hour before an incoming phone call, like the phone had been completely off between the calls from St George.

Much thanks for that clarification, laytonian. I would like to know how anyone could think that wasn't SK checking his voice mail in Whitney Ranch area (north of where he parked his car) 4 1/2 hours after walking away from his car, coincidentally walking time there despite doubts someone would walk that far.

I learned a lot here from a great group of people but I woldn't have been concerned about SK had I known he was checking his voice mail multiple times after walking away from his car and avoiding calls from his landlord and boss, not to mention hanging up on his dad and refusing to use money put in his bank account by his family.

If there ever was a greater case for someone walking away from their life and hiding somewhere with whoever he secretly rendevouzed with in Henderson, I'd like to know what it is.

rd

Much thanks for that clarification, laytonian. I would like to know how anyone could think that wasn't SK checking his voice mail in Whitney Ranch area (north of where he parked his car) 4 1/2 hours after walking away from his car, coincidentally walking time there despite doubts someone would walk that far.

I learned a lot here from a great group of people but I woldn't have been concerned about SK had I known he was checking his voice mail multiple times after walking away from his car and avoiding calls from his landlord and boss, not to mention hanging up on his dad and refusing to use money put in his bank account by his family.

If there ever was a greater case for someone walking away from their life and hiding somewhere with whoever he secretly rendevouzed with in Henderson, I'd like to know what it is.

rd

You have partly said what I have felt since finding out this new info. While the family did not have to tell us this info, a great disservice has been done. This has been a complete waste of time. The only thing I have learned from this thread is "How not to act when someone goes missing".

You have partly said what I have felt since finding out this new info. While the family did not have to tell us this info, a great disservice has been done. This has been a complete waste of time. The only thing I have learned from this thread is "How not to act when someone goes missing".

Couldn't have said it better, Ruby.

rd

if there ever was a greater case for someone walking away from their life and hiding somewhere with whoever he secretly rendevouzed with in henderson, i'd like to know what it is.

Rd

here, here!

Have color copier....would be happy to print flyers and mail. If we can decide on a list of addresses, I'll start tomorrow.

I agree this is a confounding case. But for every seemingly possible conclusion, there is at least one compelling argument that says - that's not the answer!

On the face of it, we have a kind, religious, young man who, we're told, would not walk away from his loved ones. But if you consider his financial situation, his lack of close relationships, his questionable travels leading up to his disappearance, family dynamics, employment outlook, the SCA connection, the phone pings, etc., you just have to consider all the possibilities.

I can't give up yet.

I wonder if the document swjaxon has includes the "site ID" for each tower, that might make it easier to determine exactly where the towers are located.

If you find a website with tower site ID's, let me know. I haven't been able to find one, but I may be missing it somewhere.

I'm not sure I agree with you, laytonian. Sure, there are a lot of different factors that go into whether a cell phones hits off this tower or that one. And none of us here are experts. And I realize there are all sorts of maps online where I could have gotten the information but I wanted to check out the actual area where he was for myself. I know the area well but never really paid attention to the cell towers until now. As a local, who has been all over these streets, I think we may be on to something here. What REALLY sticks out to me is the Pecos ping from early in the morning. I'll tell you why.

If you do a search for an ATT Tower on Pecos, it says there are none.

That's the worst website search ever. Even if you know their street address for a tower, if you try to search for it, it doesn't show results.

Actually, there are towers along Pecos, on atttowers.com. You're right that the search doesn't turn them up that way, but I mapped the entire length of Pecos Blvd and then found it on the total Vegas map on the site.

They're like billboards. Someone names them, and it sticks. We once had to find an electronic digital billboard named "Ice House" -- turns out it was in front of a Wal Mart (with the Ice House having been torn down three years before). (I know that's off-topic, but my husband's helper worked on cell towers, and said they were named the same way).

Notice the names of these, north to south along Pecos Blvd:

Name: "Las Vegas Blvd and Pecos"
http://www.atttowers.com/towers/siteInfo.do?siteID=50491&page=search
3031 NORTH PECOS ROAD (@ Las Vegas Blvd)

Name: "East Sahara"
http://www.atttowers.com/towers/siteInfo.do?siteID=10456&page=search
2143 PALM STREET (where Pecos turns into Palm for awhile)

Name: "Mcleod"
http://www.atttowers.com/towers/siteInfo.do?siteID=10493&page=search
3065 E DESERT INN RD (100 feet off Mcleod-Pecos Blvd)

Name: "Sams"
http://www.atttowers.com/towers/siteInfo.do?siteID=10510&page=search
3510 E TROPICANA (Tropicana @ Pecos)

Name: "Russell Road"
http://www.atttowers.com/towers/siteInfo.do?siteID=10460&page=search
3291 EAST PATRICK LANE (400 ft west of Pecos @ Patrick)

fasteddy4 said:
But, then I noticed something. FOREVER, we have been wondering where Steven spent the night between the 12th and 13th. Well, it just so happens that Pecos if you follow it north runs into Craig Rd. up in North Las Vegas and the largest truck stop in Las Vegas is there. It's a Pilot Truck Stop. Is that a coincidence?

A coincidence because he stopped to buy gas at a different one, on Dec 10th? Maybe, maybe not.

The Pilot in Wendover is the ONLY place you can P and gas up in that town (I was just there, about 11 days ago. We did both.)

The Pilot in Las Vegas is at the first "real" Las Vegas exit.

I like the idea that he could have stopped there, but I think he'd also have stopped there if it had been a Flying J -- which is where he bought gas in Utah, on Dec 10th ;)

The brand isn't doing it for me. It's just one of the two biggest truck stop brands we have in these parts (owned by the same company, too).

I can't imagine someone leaving their own bed to sleep in their car, 110 miles away, if their destination is that town - at noon the next day.

But here I am. Trying to make logic out of the illogical.

If you find a website with tower site ID's, let me know. I haven't been able to find one, but I may be missing it somewhere.

I just found it!

atttowers.com, advanced search. (You have to register)

It looks like you can put in a site ID.

ETA -- "bulk search" and then "advanced search" shows up there.

I just tried it by entering the site ID from one of the URLs I just posted, and it worked.
50491 came right up

I was feeling abnormally geeky today and had some time so I went in search of cell phone towers in the Henderson area. I also signed up at the atttower.com site. I found quite a few more towers than what is listed there. Here are there approximate locations (I will leave it up to someone else who is tech savvy to put these locations on a Google map if they wish)

Tower 1: 100 yards south of American Pacific/Arroyo Grande Intersection

Tower 2: 50 yards north of Stephanie St./Patrick Lane intersection. Tower is on top of building. This one is abnormally large and has many "antennas" on it.

Tower 3: 200 yards south of Warm Springs/Stephanie St. intersection. Pretty tall.

Tower 4: 50 yards south of 95 on Warm Spring. Small one but tall.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Tower #2 was the one that picked up the last signal from Steven's phone. I also seem to remember that on that cell phone list there was an "American Pacific" one. I believe that is tower #1.

I also believe that I missed a few. It's hard looking for them and driving in traffic at same time. But, I think I found at least two of the ones mentioned on those cell phone records.

Great job! It's amazing how much webslueths can do with a tid bit of info.

We need more info. You guys are dedicated.

Thank you all.

Have family member who works for a telecommunications company. I will see him in a couple of weeks, so was going to hold off to ask the questions in person....but I weakened and wrote a question this morning. There seem to be hundreds of answers to the same questions about cell phones and towers. Lots of geeks out there.

The following is his answer.

"Your phone has a unique number assigned to it (not the telephone number) and that number is used to identify the user and their whereabouts. The phone, when it is turned on, will transmit that number to the nearest receiving tower, which does not have to be the tower of your carrier. If the receiving tower’s operator is not your carrier and has a roaming agreement with your carrier (and most have reciprocal agreements) then the receiving tower’s operator will record where that phone is, in the event it receives a call to connect to that phone. When the phone is called, the phone’s carrier will search for the phone in it’s records, to see if it is in their service area. If it is not, it will hand off the call to the reciprocating carriers so they can attempt to find the phone. All this happens in a few seconds.

So the end result of this explanation is that some carrier knows where that phone is whenever it is turned on. You do not have to answer, initiate calls, call voicemail, etc for there to be a record of where that phone is. Whether this information is recorded, is another matter, because you can imagine the volume of information that would exist for ~100,000,000 phones. If his phone stopped transmitting it’s number, then it may have run down the battery or been intentionally turned off. You could also take the SIM card out of the phone (if so equipped) and insert it into another phone, thereby making the new phone look like the old phone. I don’t know why anybody would have done this, but it’s just a thought."

rd

It's certainly a good case, but on the other hand all we really know is that he was in contact up until 7am the morning after the video, and then he's gone. And when he locked up and walked away from the car, there's no sign he didn't intend to come back.

It's certainly a good case, but on the other hand all we really know is that he was in contact up until 7am the morning after the video, and then he's gone. And when he locked up and walked away from the car, there's no sign he didn't intend to come back.

And since we ALWAYS knew that voicemail was checked the next morning, what difference does it make that it was checked the day before?

5.5 months later ... here we are. Still. :banghead:

I can't imagine someone leaving their own bed to sleep in their car, 110 miles away, if their destination is that town - at noon the next day.

But here I am. Trying to make logic out of the illogical.

sbbm

He could have slept in the driver's lounge and paid 5 bucks to take a shower.

And since we ALWAYS knew that voicemail was checked the next morning, what difference does it make that it was checked the day before?

5.5 months later ... here we are. Still. :banghead:

We were led to believe

he last received calls from church friends
parked car
VM was checked next day
nothing in between
now I know it was a crock of sh#t.

We were led to believe

he last received calls from church friends
parked car
VM was checked next day
nothing in between
now I know it was a crock of sh#t.

I'll respectfully disagree, RR.

We were told:

He last TALKED to church friends (still true, as far as we know)*
Parked car (most believed HE parked it)
VM was checked the next day (still true)
Nothing in between (we were just given partial info)

*NOTE: SA is the person who said that he believed he was the last person to ever talk to SK, in those last calls.

Obviously, if one believes he met someone (criminal intent or to leave on his own), then he would have talked to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sheepranch