NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A timeline isn't unpopular. Its just there are still gaping holes.

Let me throw out what I call my hybrid theory. It meshes my map with the whole "wanted to disappear theory".

What if Steven left St. George to visit a significant person (could be a lover, whatever) in SLC. Stays with that person on the 7th. Visits Ruby Valley. Back to SLC to rendezvous with the person. They leave and go straight to vegas. He drops them off there so that when he goes back to St George he can do so without worry that somebody will see or recognize that person. He stops for gas in mesquite on his way to St. George. Grabs a few vital things he will need. Turns around to Vegas. Steve goes to the house on EL to get new identities (why nobody would fess up) or similar. They leave together (to Sacramento?)

Wild, but kinda fits.

A timeline isn't unpopular. Its just there are still gaping holes.

Let me throw out what I call my hybrid theory. It meshes my map with the whole "wanted to disappear theory".

What if Steven left St. George to visit a significant person (could be a lover, whatever) in SLC. Stays with that person on the 7th. Visits Ruby Valley. Back to SLC to rendezvous with the person. They leave and go straight to vegas. He drops them off there so that when he goes back to St George he can do so without worry that somebody will see or recognize that person. He stops for gas in mesquite on his way to St. George. Grabs a few vital things he will need. Turns around to Vegas. Steve goes to the house on EL to get new identities (why nobody would fess up) or similar. They leave together (to Sacramento?)

Wild, but kinda fits.

It does work. But why would they have needed to go all the way to Vegas if they wanted to wind up in Sacramento? What if he went to SLC to get his new identity and then took his brand new self to Vegas to start anew?

Possible. Also possible would be that the trip to Ruby Valley was an original attempt to go to Sacramento where he would meet up with the other person. Plans changed. He turned around to SLC. The two drive to Vegas in seperate cars. Steve goes back to St. George to grab a few things. Back to Vegas. Person is staying on EL. Gets to that person. They drive out in a vehicle not noticed on the tapes. Could be in Vegas. Could be in Sac. Could be anywhere.

Lets not forget that Steven has/had a base in the SLC area. He worked there. Has family there. He knows people from his past. Is his leaving the SLC trib and SLC in general related to this person, perhaps?

I remember reading in an earlier post that someone who knew Steven decribed him as " spontaneous " . Meaning what, that he would drive places on a whim, visit people who didn't expect him, was somewhat impulsive ? I wonder.
One thing that has come into focus for me is that Steven's family and friends seem highly protective of him somehow, beyond what one would think for a man of 30. Naegle said that there is one piece of information which they are holding back, but that " it is not about his character. " So, I'm openly *speculating * here. Is he, in daily life, much "younger" than his chronological age ? Does he have any kind of condition,such as adult ADD ? Has he ever had any learning difficulties, or something more serious,such as Bipolar Disorder ? Just a vibe I'm getting.
Fairy, I don't know who Christopher Coleman is ( but I get the gist ). I notice you used the term "running away " in Steven's case. But,really, does a 30 year old single guy actually run away ? I know what you meant,but I think you might have unconsciously picked up on the same thing I did ? JMHO.

It would be helpful to know the weather conditions at the various locations during these trips also. I don't know if using alternate routes would even have been a possibility. If there was snow and/or ice, I would imagine one would stick to the major interstates.

I'm sorry.

I thought I posted about weatherunderground.com

You can pick a location, click on the history link (kind of hard to find), select a specific date, and it gives you weather conditions. I think you can even find out if you were born on a stormy day.

obtaining a new identity is not impossible but it is an incredible task to pull off and for someone of modest means like Steven, nearly impossible.

stated differently, if Steven could get a new identity that easily, anyone could and we know that it is not that simple.

It's the same day. Naegle said the gas purchase in Mesquite was dated 12/12. The Kmart purchase was on 12/12 at 8:30pm.

I'm wondering if we're carrying over stale information, if the time zone difference accounts for the "last transaction", or what.

It's discrepancies like this, that a timeline catches. I know it's not a popular subject here....but it does bring out questions.

Is there a timestamp on the Mesquite receipt? Also, do we know the date on the receipt is correct? It probably is, but I recall another case (I believe Victoria Stafford) where the clock on the video cameras were not correct and it really screwed a lot of timelines and information up.

I know, a long shot, but worth confirming.

If it is indeed true that he bought gas BEFORE K-Mart it means this (to me):

He didnt go through St. George to get to Mesquite. He went from Springville to Vegas maybe and came back through Mequite. Got home, grabbed some stuff, turned around and went back to Vegas. Interesting...

Lets get a confirmation on that time!

Naegle's checking to see the specific date/time/location on that Mesquite gas purchase RECEIPT. Not the time it "hit" the credit card account, but the actual receipt. If you go by the account, things can sometimes take hours or days to show up.
She also said there were other receipts in the car, and she'd check them out.

I'll bet it turns out in this sequence: Kmart, back to the apt, gas in Mesquite, then to Vegas. Remember, he picked up a call about 8:30am and said he was in Vegas.

I think the timeline's pretty accurate right now, EXCEPT for the "last transaction" information.

I'd just like to have more on it. With sources.

One thing that has come into focus for me is that Steven's family and friends seem highly protective of him somehow, beyond what one would think for a man of 30. Naegle said that there is one piece of information which they are holding back, but that " it is not about his character. " So, I'm openly *speculating * here. Is he, in daily life, much "younger" than his chronological age ? Does he have any kind of condition,such as adult ADD ? Has he ever had any learning difficulties, or something more serious,such as Bipolar Disorder ? Just a vibe I'm getting.

He's got Associates' and Bachelors' Degrees from BYU, so I don't sense a learning difficulty.

BUT...I definitely get a "vibe" about some mental health issues. Bipolar? Depression? I'm not going to diagnose; but I sense some issues.

I commented when I first joined here, that it seemed we were trying to create logic out of the illogical....and I still believe that.

Is there a timestamp on the Mesquite receipt? Also, do we know the date on the receipt is correct? It probably is, but I recall another case (I believe Victoria Stafford) where the clock on the video cameras were not correct and it really screwed a lot of timelines and information up.

I know, a long shot, but worth confirming.

I'm hoping we have access to the actual receipt info, on ALL of the purchases.

If you have two clocks, they'll never sync. But, you can usually tell (like if you see the receipt timestamp and compare to the security camera). That's why I like to document the separate times, rather than rehashing it over and over.

Yep - sounds like perhaps Steven knew he wouldn't be back, but didn't want everyone else to know. But then why did he offer to go back to St. George when GW asked him to fill in for the meeting? Why didn't he just say that he wouldn't be able to make it in time? :waitasec:

He may have, UNTIL he found out that Webb was also in Vegas and on his way back (early!)

Means he possibly went off into the wild blue yonder to places and people we know nothing about. Gah, my legend didnt make it onto the final picture. Ill update that.

I've double-checked the Kmart purchase; it was the 12th about 8:00pm (you have it as the 10th)....UNLESS there are two.

Nope. Youre right. Left over mixup from the first version. Ill correct it. Thank you.

Possible. Also possible would be that the trip to Ruby Valley was an original attempt to go to Sacramento where he would meet up with the other person. Plans changed. He turned around to SLC. The two drive to Vegas in seperate cars. Steve goes back to St. George to grab a few things. Back to Vegas. Person is staying on EL. Gets to that person. They drive out in a vehicle not noticed on the tapes. Could be in Vegas. Could be in Sac. Could be anywhere.

Lets not forget that Steven has/had a base in the SLC area. He worked there. Has family there. He knows people from his past. Is his leaving the SLC trib and SLC in general related to this person, perhaps?

BBM - Like a married woman - who most likely would now also be missing? Oh jeez, I just don't even want to go there!

obtaining a new identity is not impossible but it is an incredible task to pull off and for someone of modest means like Steven, nearly impossible.

stated differently, if Steven could get a new identity that easily, anyone could and we know that it is not that simple.

That's true enough, but if Steven is with someone else, their finanacial situation is not known to us.

He may have, UNTIL he found out that Webb was also in Vegas and on his way back (early!)

Yes, but he could have said that the time of the appointment or meeting or whatever the heck it was that brought him to Vegas would prevent him from getting back to St. George in time for the meeting there. If you KNOW you have no intention of returning at all, why be so agreeable?

I'm sorry.

I thought I posted about weatherunderground.com

You can pick a location, click on the history link (kind of hard to find), select a specific date, and it gives you weather conditions. I think you can even find out if you were born on a stormy day.

You sure did - a ways back. Forgot about that and I will try later to look them up according to lost at sea's map.

In the meantime, can you give us some local insight as to the possibility of traveling of some of those backroads during the winter?

You sure did - a ways back. Forgot about that and I will try later to look them up according to lost at sea's map.

In the meantime, can you give us some local insight as to the possibility of traveling of some of those backroads during the winter?

Interstates, US and State highways, county roads and other paved roads are well-maintained. We're used to the bad weather. We haven't had a significant snow since the first week in December, but it's been very cold so the snow is still piled on the ground (ie, not on the roads, but it hasn't melted off the ground and little-used unpaved roads would be inaccessible).

Other paved roads are generally safe to drive on, depending upon conditions. A few over mountain passes are completely closed (maybe 5 in the entire state.) One wouldn't even THINK of driving off-road this time of year, especially in an older, compact sedan.

THINKING:

While I think he *may* have used the US-93 route, just because it's so much shorter (200+ miles, 3 or so hours), he probably did go through SLC both ways. Why?
Because he met Annemarie in *SLC, when they both attended the same ward.
It actually makes NO sense for him to look for AN out in Ruby Valley, since she lived in SLC when they met (only a couple of years ago!).

I think we're dealing with a case of depression caused by unrequired love. I think he carried the torch for her. Someone said they'd dated "a bit".

*SLC could mean anything in SL County or North Davis County....the same way Henderson is "in Vegas'.

That's true enough, but if Steven is with someone else, their finanacial situation is not known to us.

Well....actually, we *can* make a good assumption about that. Steve had no money that we know of. Therefore, if he's "with" someone, that person has to be paying all of his living expenses.

I'm kinda new to this...do you change threads often???

I like the question about not answering his friends/family calls, but answering the church members. I think there is significant reason for this. Maybe his call from Webb was about something unrelated to church (the conversation they had does not make sense to me), and he answered the others call b/c he didn't want to them to think he was with Webb.

Did Webb make it to the meeting?

Does anyone know if the person who called the voicemail was able to get into the voicemail? This would tell us if Steven or someone else had his phone? But Naegle did say it was actually in Vegas. Do we know where the other pings were? Where was he when he talked to Webb? Where was Webb? Where was he, based on the pings, when he talked to other men from church?

Also, Naegle said there were two things we don't know about. One was insignificant to the case she said, and the other the police asked the family not to share while they checked it out. I don't think they need to check out if he had any mental issues if they were the one's that told the cops about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled