NV NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
....an update on the image from the t-shirt, it is believed that this logo was near the top portion of the t-shirt.

In an effort to clarify some of the facts and timeline of this case...

On March 12, 1992 a male caller reports that he found a skeleton in Sand Canyon and provides detailed directions to the location. The caller refuses to identify himself. Law enforcement locates the remains the next day.

The body was nearly completely skeletonized. The victim was aged between 35 and 50 and stood between 6’0” and 6’3”. He had reddish/brown hair.

The victim had dental work done, to include a root canal. The victim was missing several teeth prior to his death. The victim had been stabbed. The body was missing both hands and feet.

The body was clad only in what remains of a T-shirt. The shirt has a partial design of what appears to be a bird with outstretched wings with an orange circle (likely a stylized sun) in the background.

A pair of Levi Strauss 517 pants in relatively good condition was found inside of a moving blanket that was covered in white paint. The moving blanket and pants were found nearby. The pants are 32W by 36L. Men’s brief-type underwear were found nearby as well as a black Heavenly Lake Tahoe hat. The clothing was scattered over a broad area.

A pair of black Stadia shoes was located about a half mile away from the remains. There is evidence the shoes were too small for whoever wore them. There is also evidence the shoes had been repaired in somewhat of a unique manner. It is unknown at this time if the shoes actually have anything to do with this case.

At the time the body was located, a deputy sheriff on scene recalled handling an abandoned vehicle in October of 1991 (7 months prior to body discovery). An anonymous caller called this particular abandoned vehicle into the Mono County Sheriff’s Office. The vehicle, a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix, with Oklahoma plates, was found along Highway 338, about two miles from where the remains were found. The vehicle was found in a manner that suggested whoever put it there was trying to conceal it. The registered owner was ultimately located and interviewed, but nothing conclusive came out of the interview. The vehicle may or may not have anything to do with this case.

In 1999 this investigation was reactivated and a press release was put out. As a result, a woman who lives nearby reported she started seeing a dog come around her property about 9 months prior to the discovery of the body. The dog would leave in the direction where the body would later be found. The woman took a picture of the dog.

There was a dog collar located in the area of the remains however it is unknown how close the collar was located to the body. This photo was taken to area veterinarians, but no identifications were made. This dog may or may not have belonged to the victim. Nothing definitive to prove it either way was ever found.

In 2014, the case is reassigned again. Utilizing modern technology, a DNA profile of the victim was developed and entered into CODIS.

The clothing evidence will be re-processed utilizing modern technology in the near future. At that time, hopefully there will be conclusive proof as to whether or not any of the clothing and shoes belonged to the victim. Additionally, an isotope analysis of the victim’s hair will be done in the near future which could reveal clues regarding where the victim had been prior to his death.

A consultation was done with Texas State University regarding the condition of the remains in hopes of narrowing the time of death. Based on this report, we believe the victim probably died sometime between 4 and 14 months prior to discovery.

Previous investigators had the subject’s skull sent to a facial reconstruction artist. Those pictures are one artist’s rendition of what they believed our subject might have looked like. Detectives are sending the skull out to be reconstructed again for another perspective on what our subject may have looked like.

Other investigative leads have been developed as a result of the fresh look at this case, however these will not be publicly discussed at this time.

Further photos will be posted at a later time.

Please contact via private message lcsodetectives or mmarty with any leads on this case. Please keep in mind that while we can't always comment on certain aspects of the investigation, we do read these posts and we appreciate any and all ideas!

Were his hands and feet cut off or missing due to animals eating them? If they were cut off, isn't that like cartel stuff? Were there signs they were active in the US back in the early 90s like this?

Can you provide more information about the 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix and its owner? Any details would be helpful.

What was his age? Did he reside in Oklahoma at the time of the murder? What city did he live in at that time? Where was he from originally/where did he grow up? What high school? College? What did he do for a living back in the early 90s in Oklahoma? What did he do for a living when he was located in the late 90s in Colorado?

What were his interests and hobbies? If you don't know, you can still find out via high school and college background. Were any of his family members and friends questioned? I realize he's not a suspect, and the car might not be connected, but the car is the only real lead to the identity of the victim. I'm thinking along the lines of the car owner's social and work networks.

What was his explanation for his car being found in Nevada? Had it been reported stolen? If so, where (city/state) was it stolen from?

Have you considered questioning him again now that the case has been reopened?

In the photo of the dog, is he wearing a collar? If so does it look like the one you found? What happened to the dog and why did this person feel compelled to take a picture of the dog?

You said that the interview of the owner of the car was inconclusive, do you feel that they where being deceptive? Does the owner have priors which are violent in nature?

Can you tell what color eyes the deceased he had?

Edit- Does the owner of the car have ties to Albuquerque or Texas in 1990? Is he in the construction field?

Carl, is it ok if I share this thread on my Face Book? And warm welcomes to Mmarty. :)

Correction...
The abandoned car was found 5 months prior to the body discovery, not 7 months as stated in my previous post.

Some excellent questions have been raised, some of which we can not publicly discuss, but here are answers to some that we can:

Can you provide more information about the 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix and its owner? Any details would be helpful.

We can't provide the identity of the owner, but we will look into what details we can provide about the car that may or may not help with identifying the victim. We will follow up with a later post on this.

In the photo of the dog, is he wearing a collar?

The dog doesn't appear to be wearing a collar in the photo. Here is the photo:

Dog.jpg

Can you tell what color eyes the deceased he had?

As of right now, no. The remains were almost completely skeletonized. However, DNA technology may be able to help us answer that question at some point. I know there are advances being made as far as using DNA to identify characteristics of an individual.

Does the owner of the car have ties to Albuquerque or Texas in 1990? Is he in the construction field?

Interesting question. Please PM me with your thoughts on this and what leads you ask.

might of already been looked at but have you looked at Dean Thomas Spencer?

The Doe Network page indicates the photo on the far right is a photo of Spencer in December 1991. His hair is far too gray in that photo to be our UID. We are looking to post an appropriate photo of the actual hair found at the scene. We will follow up with this in a later post.

As for the questions we can't discuss, they are still helpful to us! The smallest thing could lead to the next clue. My partner and I feel this is a very solvable case. The answer is out there.

Here is something else to think about as you look at missing persons cases...
As we have searched databases, my partner and I have found a striking number of cases that weren't reported until many years later. Remember that the date last seen is often a date which the reporting person provides, which could be inaccurate (sometimes intentionally), especially as the years go by. Due to this, don't be afraid to post possible matches just because they were alleged to have been seen after the discovery of John Doe.

Once the pic of the hair is posted, you will see just how red it is. There is no doubt his hair was mainly reddish brown. I am curious as to why you ask about New Mexico and Texas. The dog was not wearing a collar in the photo, nor did the witness see the dog wearing a collar at any time. The local vet in the area did rule out ever seeing that particular dog in the area. My partner and I thank all of you for taking a look at this for us and helping out.

Thanks again!

I'm going to kick this around some...I did live in the area at the time... The shirt is SO familiar to me...

Thank you for all of your information you are providing us! I am going to spend a lot of time looking for any possible matches with this case, which I am going to start doing right now.

Once the pic of the hair is posted, you will see just how red it is. There is no doubt his hair was mainly reddish brown. I am curious as to why you ask about New Mexico and Texas. The dog was not wearing a collar in the photo, nor did the witness see the dog wearing a collar at any time. The local vet in the area did rule out ever seeing that particular dog in the area. My partner and I thank all of you for taking a look at this for us and helping out.

Thanks again!

Bobby Beich was my neighbor when I was growing up. He and his brother Billy lived 2 doors down. Sometimes when I see unidentified Does I try to see if it could be a possible for him. Bobby's hair was too dark though from what I remember, although I had not seen him since 1985 when I married the first time. My father continued to own the house 2 doors down and had constant contact with Billy. He told me that the last time Bobby was heard from he was working construction in TX. The letter his other brother received (a LEO in Clearwater,FL) was post marked from Albuquerque. I don't know if his brothers ever said if they actually believed he sent it. I don't know if he's a possible after your remark about the hair def reddish brown. This is why I asked. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/beich_robert.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...obert-Ralph-Beich-46-Albuquerque-19-July-1990

My father was a general contractor. Tarps with paint where common around our garage and in his truck. That tarp is a clue who ever the doe may be as to who possibly was the perp and it is possible they worked as a contractor, painter, handyman etc.

Would the dog who may be associated with the decedent, be considered a German Sheppard- Husky mix?

Just a thought, but it sounds like a pair of drifters were traveling together in this car. (I'm sure you checked the car for prints, hair fibers, and anything else that could relate to the victim) But if that were true and the dog was related then dog hairs would be found in the car.

I would check for missing persons in the Lake Tahoe area, and in the area where the owner of the was found. Also I would like to know how the owner says the car got there. I could see someone abandoning the car if it was not drivable for some reason. Was the car drivable ? Also, did the dog collars have prints or DNA? Something at the camp site must of had prints or maybe dog hair and other fibers.

Would the dog who may be associated with the decedent, be considered a German Sheppard- Husky mix?

That dog looks like a Chow

That dog looks like a Chow

Maybe not.

Another thought I just had is that there would have to be tons of greasy finger prints around the engine compartment of the car. Maybe you can track down someone who has worked on the car.

I'm thinking two drifters were traveling together in the car and a dispute took place between the two at the campsite, and one stabbed the other.

I'm thinking two drifters were traveling together in the car and a dispute took place between the two at the campsite, and one stabbed the other.

But why would he hide the car? Why not make a get a way with it. I'm curious about the owner but it may have just been unrelated also. I worked doing skip tracing for a car loan company and these scenarios always make me wonder if the person was hiding it so the car wouldn't get repo'd or there's the possibility someone just broke down and tried to hide the car so no one would steal or strip it for parts.

This "Campsite" was not a campsite at all. It was originally described as such, but it doesn't appear from what was recovered that it was actually a campsite at all. It is our theory that what was once thought to be a campsite might possibly be a blanket that was used to carry/conceal/wrap our subject in and other "typical desert trash" that is common in the area.

Maybe the car was drove by the victim. So the murderer had know need to take the car so he tried to hide it so the body would not be found so soon giving him a head start to the next town

doenetwork.org/cases/699dmca.html

Clifford Raymond Peranteau
Missing since January 20, 1985 from San Francisco, San Francisco County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Timing is off hair looks more reddish brown.then blond as stated on doenetwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members