Identified! NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, Off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #2 - Vincent Marion Trapp

Just so we have a basic framework, I found this website, which seems to have a relevant presentation of what isotope testing is about. http://www.sfu.museum/forensics/eng/pg_media-media_pg/isotopes/

Another good explanation is a PBS Nova program: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/stable-isotopes.html

The only thing close to a helpful isotope distribution map I've found is inn Google books under Isoscapes. This whole book looks fascinating, actually.

I had always thought of isotope testing as pertinent to archaeology (e.g. neolithic) and botanical elements (e.g. bristle cone pines) in archaeological sites. I'm excited to know that it gets applied to forensics.

I will get the updated alpha list up as soon as I can get it and get the rule-outs noted. I will also post the pending 48 names once I get those as well (so we can do more digging). I just know we have a group of good people on our team still committed to the cause. Our red headed stranger will once again have an identity and his family will have some closure. Keep watching for updates folks.

Interesting that Iso-region 3 didn't show up somewhere en route. That might eliminate some directions to travel to Wellington?

Iso-2 in CA: the eastern side of Yosemite?

From a motorbike rally in Laughlin at the end of April? (I'm fixated on the motorbike angle....)

On the "motorbike gang" angle: as I mentioned further back, the hands could have been cut off because they were covered in identifying rings. The "stab" wounds may reflect nicks from filet-ing identifying tattoos off the corpse?

The UID didn't have a jacket? Hmmmmm...

Lately, there have been several "documentaries" on TV about motorcycle gangs. They have insignia everywhere: rings, tattoos, patches on jackets.....I watch hardly any TV, but just happened to tune into them! This accounts for my single-mindedness on this issue.

I saw a documentary recently on the Jamestown VA puritans their first winter after arriving (1607) which prompted my suggestion about the filet-ing. They evidently became cannibals. A young teen's skeleton has tell-tale nicks, and the skull was smashed in so the brain meat could be removed.

Hmmm..... There's a lot to pay attention to in this one!

I suppose Harmon could be either a victim or a perp in the Wellington UID scenario?

I'm guessing LE would have DNA on Harmon to determine if there's a match, so maybe they've looked at this possibility already?

Is this Wanted poster current?

The Harmon guy is a little short. There are sightings in 2004. He has a veeeery thick neck.

Another creepy aspect of this Harmon guy is the difference between his photos at the top of the poster and the bottom of the poster. Doesn't even look like the same guy.

Since we're resuming focus on this case after being on hiatus, I'm needing to refresh my mind on small details of our UID. We have the posts at the beginning of this thread. Are there any others to highlight? E.g. I can't find the police sketch of the UID for facial comparisons. Anyone know what post it's in?

....please don't get to focused on the clay reconstruction. Use it as a tool, but it is by no means considered 100% accurate.

Thanks.

M.

Detective Marty's point about the clay reconstruction is noted...

Hey, Y'all!

I'm thinking we need a methodical plan....

I've lost much information about this case from my working memory. Does anyone have ideas about how to regroup so we can recapture where we were and not lose some of our hard work?

Wenwe, you're going to get a current list of 48 possibles, right? This is what we're going to work on next?

Do you have a list of the MP's we've removed, so we don't reintroduce those names to the list of possibles?

Do we need to make a new list of MP ideas we came up with since May? Or where are we with that?

My task #1, which I've already started on, is PMing the posters who were working on this case before so we can reassemble the "team". Does anyone have the link to Thread #1 for this UID? I can't find it.

Well, one thing that will need to be done is investigate the background on the remaining 48 people to try to find out more about their circumstances. I was thinking that it might work to divide up the 48 candidates so we don't overlap effort too much and don't overlook somebody.

Thanks, RickshawFan! I hadn't checked this thread for several weeks so I wasn't aware that our great mmarty was back!

Harmon sounds like a good possibility.

One thing about motorcyclists is that they would never dream of being without their motorcycles! It is in their blood, IMO. Maybe he had a motorcycle at the site and whoever had stolen that car left nearby took it? OR did the motorcycle break down and our unidentified person had maybe taken the car left nearby?

I have to go back and get my information right. Some of the circumstances have now escaped me.

Glad to see this thread moving again!

If the abandoned car is connected, maybe the killer rode the motorcycle away after abandoning his own car.

Thanks, RickshawFan! I hadn't checked this thread for several weeks so I wasn't aware that our great mmarty was back!

Harmon sounds like a good possibility.

One thing about motorcyclists is that they would never dream of being without their motorcycles! It is in their blood, IMO. Maybe he had a motorcycle at the site and whoever had stolen that car left nearby took it? OR did the motorcycle break down and our unidentified person had maybe taken the car left nearby?

I have to go back and get my information right. Some of the circumstances have now escaped me.

Glad to see this thread moving again!

I'm thinking he could have been killed offsite, dismembered, and then delivered to the dump site. Or your option and Carbuff's where the perp came in the car, the UID on the motorbike, and the perp drove away with the motorbike. This would have had the added advantage of making everyone associate the car with the UID and not with the perp, which might easily send an inquisitive sleuth off track.

If the perp brought the body in the car and then left the car, the perp would have needed a ride to get back to town.

Good thought about motor bikers not wanting to be separated from their bikes. The scenarios in the previous paragraph would have the UID with the bike until the killing.

I'm thinking the UID might have been on the outs with his biking gang and went into hiding. They found him and killed him, then cut off his hands instead of pulling off his rings, filet-ed his tattoos, and grabbed his jacket and boots. (Gotta have boots if you're a self-respecting hard core biker. Forget the Walmart brothel creepers, which seem to pretty much describe the shoes found at the scene.)

Brief aside....The shoes that were found at the scene and were too short for the owner....could this be from driving? If used for walking, they'd be crazy blister-y. You wouldn't notice this as much driving because your feet point to work the accelerator?

The feet were missing on the UID because the perp couldn't get his feet out of the boots (maybe rigor mortis had set in), and so he simply cut the feet off? This would put the cuts somewhere up the shin from the ankles? Speculating.... (I bet motorbike boots are hard to get off and on even when you're the owner.)

The dog is confusing. I have seen dogs on motorbikes though.....And the dog sighting might be irrelevant, e.g. the dog belonged to someone else entirely, came across the body and tried to get help or just needed some store-bought food. Lots of possibilities....

I had some thoughts about the "campsite that is not a real campsite" and how it relates to the killing.

I'm thinking this is what is known as "dispersed camping", i.e. random sites in the woods, for free. It doesn't sound as though the UID actually camped there (they would have found micro-trash or cigarette butts, or something that wouldn't have been removed by animals or humans), but I can't imagine what he might have been doing there except a sudden trip to lay low. It also sounds as though it's an unlikely place to pick for a meeting: it seems to me if the killing happened there the perp followed the UID to that location.

But it is curious that no one found the body sooner, unless it was covered by snow quite soon after the murder and then reappeared in the spring after snow melt. Are we sure it wasn't moved there in the spring after being stashed somewhere else for the winter? No doubt we've been told this already, but I'm putting this out there again. (Now I recall, maybe the paint-splattered moving blanket was used to carry the body?)

"Dispersed" camping is sometimes used by folks who want to lay low or who don't want to pay rent for a while or can't afford a campground or are half way up a mountain. I would guess this site is not someone's vacation spot, since it doesn't sound very attractive. Dispersed camping is legal on much of USFS and BLM land. There's no real oversight. But a body in the summer out in the open should have been seen by someone sooner looking for a "dispersed" camping spot, IMO, especially since this one seems quite accessible.

I can't figure out this dump spot at all. Makes no sense. Why there? And why did someone imagine it would be a good idea? Of course, it worked out, but IMO this was luck and very chance-y.

Hey, I am here.
I received my call out message.
Was this the one who was missing his shoes or feet? Maybe the shoes were motorcycle boots?
If a motorcycle was involved, wouldn't there be tracks?
I think I need a refresher course...

Well, one thing that will need to be done is investigate the background on the remaining 48 people to try to find out more about their circumstances. I was thinking that it might work to divide up the 48 candidates so we don't overlap effort too much and don't overlook somebody.

This sounds like a great idea. This means we wait until wenwe gets the list? Maybe, carbuff, you could keep track of who is "checking out" which of the 48, so we don't all take the same MP to investigate?

Would it help in the meantime if I collated names and post numbers for the MP's that we came up with since wenwe last posted a list? Just so we have them in one spot and can do a quick yes or no to include or maybe they are on the list of 48 or the list of eliminated?. Let me know if this would be helpful, wenwe.

I have contacted WSers who participated in this thread (#2), but I don't have thread #1 and that was very active because it involved the T-shirt. Anyone know the link?

Hey, I am here.
I received my call out message.
Was this the one who was missing his shoes or feet? Maybe the shoes were motorcycle boots?
If a motorcycle was involved, wouldn't there be tracks?
I think I need a refresher course...

I think we're all trying to get refreshed....

This sounds like a great idea. This means we wait until wenwe gets the list? Maybe, carbuff, you could keep track of who is "checking out" which of the 48, so we don't all take the same MP to investigate?

Would it help in the meantime if I collated names and post numbers for the MP's that we came up with since wenwe last posted a list? Just so we have them in one spot and can do a quick yes or no to include or maybe they are on the list of 48 or the list of eliminated?. Let me know if this would be helpful, wenwe.

I have contacted WSers who participated in this thread (#2), but I don't have thread #1 and that was very active because it involved the T-shirt. Anyone know the link?

Not sure right now what page the shirt design was on but the thread #1 link is here;

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...f-Sand-Canyon-Road-Mar-92&p=932134#post932134

Detective Marty's point about the clay reconstruction is noted...

Hey, Y'all!

I'm thinking we need a methodical plan....

I've lost much information about this case from my working memory. Does anyone have ideas about how to regroup so we can recapture where we were and not lose some of our hard work?

Wenwe, you're going to get a current list of 48 possibles, right? This is what we're going to work on next?

Do you have a list of the MP's we've removed, so we don't reintroduce those names to the list of possibles?

Do we need to make a new list of MP ideas we came up with since May? Or where are we with that?

My task #1, which I've already started on, is PMing the posters who were working on this case before so we can reassemble the "team". Does anyone have the link to Thread #1 for this UID? I can't find it.

Thread #1 link;
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...f-Sand-Canyon-Road-Mar-92&p=932134#post932134

Using the "search thread" option at the top of the thread you could enter a phrase or term that you know you are interested in reviewing.

I'm here too :) going back to re-read a bit ... I haven't checked to see if new people have been added to any missing persons database since May/June ... I agree once we have the lists updated we can start there :) then move on to the remaining 48 not ruled out yet for research ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ingridmc4
Back